"Sad day for hurdle geeks"

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

"Sad day for hurdle geeks"

Postby gh » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:25 am

subject line on an e-mail I got from a longtime fan who dotes on the hurdles, which followed:

<<Okay, this may sound pretty geeky, but I'll state it anyway. My 2 favorite teams are both competing this weekend ( A&M at Arkansas and the Vols at home in the Sea Ray Relays) and NEITHER school has an entry in the men's highs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. HOW CAN THAT HAPPEN?

I wager it is the first meet in modern history that A&M has not entered a high hurdler at a meet where they are competing. I realize that Davis may be hurt and Minkah is not setting the world on fire, but come on!. WOW I'M BUMMED!!!!!!!!
PS: Guess I should get a life!>>
gh

Re: "Sad day for hurdle geeks"

Postby Marlow » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:42 pm

gh wrote:subject line on an e-mail I got from a longtime fan who dotes on the hurdles, which followed:

<<Okay, this may sound pretty geeky, but I'll state it anyway. My 2 favorite teams are both competing this weekend ( A&M at Arkansas and the Vols at home in the Sea Ray Relays) and NEITHER school has an entry in the men's highs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. HOW CAN THAT HAPPEN?

I wager it is the first meet in modern history that A&M has not entered a high hurdler at a meet where they are competing. I realize that Davis may be hurt and Minkah is not setting the world on fire, but come on!. WOW I'M BUMMED!!!!!!!!

Richmond Flowers, Jr. is spinning . . .
Marlow

Postby DJG » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:48 am

gh wrote:subject line on an e-mail I got from a longtime fan who dotes on the hurdles, which followed:

GH, Tell your friend that he should be thankful he wasn't at George Mason on last Sat (4/13). In the Men's 110 Hurdle final the "security workers" put the 5th or 6th set of hurdles at the wrong marks causing the entire field to go tumbling down. I don't know if anyone got it on video, but it was not a pretty sight. The workers followed this up with one Set (# 7) of the women's 400 hurdles at the wrong height. Luckily, they lowered them after the first heat and no one went down. Not a good day for the hurdles.
DJG

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:28 am

DJG wrote:

GH, Tell your friend that he should be thankful he wasn't at George Mason on last Sat (4/13). In the Men's 110 Hurdle final the "security workers" put the 5th or 6th set of hurdles at the wrong marks causing the entire field to go tumbling down. I don't know if anyone got it on video, but it was not a pretty sight. The workers followed this up with one Set (# 7) of the women's 400 hurdles at the wrong height. Luckily, they lowered them after the first heat and no one went down. Not a good day for the hurdles.

At the Trials, they set the SC barrier too high (men's height) and then left it there for the second heat for comparability. Broke the leg of one of the favorites, who has never been the same since.
26mi235

Postby Daisy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:37 am

At the 2011 Region IV track meet in Anchorage, AK, a terrible mistake was made when the officials setup before the Boys 110m finals. The 6th hurdle was placed on a Girls 100m hurdle mark, putting it several meters closer than it should have been. As a result of this failure, four kids fell during the race. One had to be taken to the hospital and others ran poorly through the rest of the meet. I hope that officiating crews would pay closer attention to the hurdles setup to help prevent this from happening again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eii5oJO1cBc
Daisy

Postby gh » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:28 pm

26mi235 wrote:....
At the Trials, they set the SC barrier too high (men's height) and then left it there for the second heat for comparability. Broke the leg of one of the favorites, who has never been the same since.

That was Nicole Bush at the '09 USATF, no? (if so, the next year she missed her PR by a second and earned the highest U.S. Ranking she ever got.)
gh

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:21 pm

Maybe, but she would likely have gotten a mark somewhat better than that PR in the Trials race and she was improving quite steadily at that point.
26mi235