RIP MariaTallcheif

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

RIP MariaTallcheif

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:50 pm

Maria Tallchief, Balanchine Ballerina, Dies at 88

The daughter of an Oklahoma oil family became one of the most brilliant American ballerinas of the 20th century

lonewolf -- ever hear of her, she is even the right vintage, and sounds like Indian background?

http://www.nytimes.com/
26mi235

Re: RIP MariaTallcheif

Postby lonewolf » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:30 am

Yes, she is Osage, she and her sister are well known and respected in Oklahoma as ballerinas. All Osage are from an " oil family". In the early 20th Century, members of the Osage tribe were the wealthiest people per capita in the US. There was/is a huge oil field in Osage County. The revenue was divided among a limited number of "headrights", which have been repeatedly divided, so the per capita income is now diluted.
lonewolf

Postby bijanc » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:39 am

She was the first ballerina of national reknown in my boyhood sphere of awareness. Frank Phillips of Phillips Petroleum bought up a bunch of Osage land contracts, on which he built his empire (and subsequently, the best industrial basketball team in the U.S.).
bijanc

Postby lonewolf » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:34 am

Frank Phillips was my paternal grandmother's first cousin....unfortunatley, none of the Phillips fortune slopped over to the kin-folks. :)
lonewolf

Postby gh » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:47 am

I have to admit that I've never heard of her, and when I read the original thread line with the typo of cheif for chief, I assumed she was another in a long line of Russians!
gh

Postby lonewolf » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:17 pm

That is a typo. Tallchief is correct.
lonewolf

Postby bambam » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:54 pm

gh wrote:I have to admit that I've never heard of her, and when I read the original thread line with the typo of cheif for chief, I assumed she was another in a long line of Russians!

Actually obit in Boston Globe said she was born Maria Tall Chief and adopted Tallchief as the stage name. Also said that it was suggested she used Talicheva as it sounded Russian and all the great ballerinas were Russian but she elected not to do that.
bambam