Power of Twitter is incredible

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Power of Twitter is incredible

Postby BillVol » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:22 pm

Over on one of our Vol boards, where I don't post anymore, I said a few months ago that we should ban our athletes from tweeting during their sport's season since they seemed to be putting their feet in their mouths too often.

Someone responded that I didn't understand the power and importance of Twitter. If you take Twitter away from them, you are going to lose recruits, I was told.

I'm starting to see what this guy was talking about. We have a new football coach who seems to be doing a great job. I think our recruiting class for '14 is currently ranked in the top five FWIW. A lot of credit is due Twitter. Athletes recruit other athletes by tweeting. Fans recruit athletes by sending tweets to athletes. Seems like that would be against NCAA rules, but this may be beyond their control. Plus, athletes of all ages love to tweet. I guess it feeds their egos.

I'm guessing that Twitter will surpass Facebook in popularity and importance, if it hasn't already.

Radi Nabulsi ESPN ‏ @ RadiNabulsi 12m I don't think any fanbase is as organized when it comes to following recruits on Twitter as the # Vols . Violations or not, they have a plan.
BillVol

Re: Power of Twitter is incredible

Postby Pego » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:02 am

BillVol wrote:Athletes recruit other athletes by tweeting. Fans recruit athletes by sending tweets to athletes. Seems like that would be against NCAA rules, but this may be beyond their control.

Why should a public conversation be against the law?
Pego

Postby gm » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:20 am

Pego wrote:
BillVol wrote:Athletes recruit other athletes by tweeting. Fans recruit athletes by sending tweets to athletes. Seems like that would be against NCAA rules, but this may be beyond their control.

Where does he say it should be against the law?

Also, I can think of some instances where a public conversation will get you arrested.
gm

Postby Marlow » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:42 am

Twitter, Facebook, Instagram . . . all the social media . . . are replacing television as the greatest cultural influence. Their role in the Arab Spring and subsequent political and social 'mass events' is still woefully underestimated.

Power to the people, right on!

(John Lennon, 1971)
Marlow

Postby Pego » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:45 am

gm wrote:
Pego wrote:

Where does he say it should be against the law?

Also, I can think of some instances where a public conversation will get you arrested.

1. By "law" I obviously meant NCAA regulations :roll: .
2. Yes, plotting a terrorist act or such. We are talking about nothing of that sort.
Pego

Postby BillVol » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:08 pm

Pego, from the Gator site. Notice nothing about Twitter.

http://www.gatorzone.com/compliance/?p=contact_prospective
BillVol

Postby Pego » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:23 am

BillVol wrote:Pego, from the Gator site. Notice nothing about Twitter.

http://www.gatorzone.com/compliance/?p=contact_prospective

Thank you, Bill. This just blows my mind. I wonder if anybody ever attempted a court challenge.
Pego

Postby aaronk » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:41 am

I just started with Twitter a few days ago!
(I'd heard that Mary Cain had said she'd be shooting for the "A" at Drake......on Twitter! So I became a Mary Cain Twitter "follower"......and in the couple of days since, have added 6 more to my "following" group, all T&F related.
And I've gained one follower......a person interested in track whom I've never heard of!!

Question: What is Twitter all about?
And how does it differ from Facebook?

On Facebook, I can send (and receive) lengthy messages.
Like "chatting" or talking/typing on Skype.

So is Twitter sort of like a Telegram.....a longer message contracted into a 140 letters?
Sort of like a Haiku??

I just don't understand it!
Signed, A 68 year old Luddite! :?
aaronk

Postby Friar » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:25 pm

What is Twitter all about?

Basically it's just about connecting. Some might call it the new narcissism. The "message" usually isn't particularly informative. Many times though an Instagram photo can say a lot. I've seen some jaw-dropping ones. I'd post a few here but I'm not sure if that adheres to the rules of the road?

I didn't pay much attention to Twitter until last spring. I'm not a member but check certain accounts daily. Some are private (probably with good reason). Harriet the Spy's isn't, which is of concern to me. Would I let M.Cain have an open account if I was her OM? No way.
Friar