Broadcasters worry about 'Zero TV' homes

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Broadcasters worry about 'Zero TV' homes

Postby polevaultpower » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:53 pm

We are a zero TV home and lots of my peers are as well.

http://www.komonews.com/news/tech/Broad ... 41201.html

Last month, the Nielsen Co. started labeling people in this group "Zero TV" households, because they fall outside the traditional definition of a TV home. There are 5 million of these residences in the U.S., up from 2 million in 2007.
polevaultpower

Re: Broadcasters worry about 'Zero TV' homes

Postby Daisy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:03 pm

How do they define no TV? There are plenty of broadcasts available on a computer.
Daisy

Postby 18.99s » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:59 am

And there are TVs which are not used for watching broadcasts, they're only for watching DVDs or Blu-Rays.
18.99s

Postby Marlow » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:26 am

I have almost completely forsaken watching TV when it's 'on'. I DVR everything and watch it at MY convenience.
Marlow

Postby polevaultpower » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:13 am

No one read the article? Zero TV means not watching TV over the air or via cable/satellite. We have a TV, use it for DVDs. We watch a few shows online. We fit their definition of zero TV.
polevaultpower

Postby Marlow » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:59 am

polevaultpower wrote:No one read the article? Zero TV means not watching TV over the air or via cable/satellite. We have a TV, use it for DVDs. We watch a few shows online. We fit their definition of zero TV.

If 'zero TV' means you CAN watch current shows on your computer, then most of the 18-22s do that now anyway. Seems like a pointless term, because people are DEFINITELY watching current TV shows, just not on an 'antiquated' device like a (gasp!) televison, 60" screen notwithstanding (the big screen is only there to stream your laptop onto!).
Marlow

Postby polevaultpower » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:56 am

Marlow wrote:If 'zero TV' means you CAN watch current shows on your computer, then most of the 18-22s do that now anyway. Seems like a pointless term, because people are DEFINITELY watching current TV shows, just not on an 'antiquated' device like a (gasp!) televison, 60" screen notwithstanding (the big screen is only there to stream your laptop onto!).

It's a crucial difference to broadcasters because the advertising and revenue models are different.
polevaultpower

Postby Friar » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:02 pm

I'm watching no over-air weekly entertainment shows at this time. Done. I'm pretty much a DVD person.
I did see some SNL during the winter but not a regular. No longer watch a late-night talk show or view a net' newscast. I watch no Sun morning political shows, no Today,GMA,CBS.

You'd think cable is more or less a requirement but I could dump it. It's kind of amazing how much the Red Sox alone bail out the Cable,radio,newspaper industries. I don't know where they'd be without RS. How bad are things? Boston's only commercial FM talk (non-sports) station folded (music).
Friar

Postby polevaultpower » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:46 pm

Friar wrote: How bad are things? Boston's only commercial FM talk (non-sports) station folded (music).

I actually listen to a ton of local talk radio. I stream it online at home and listen over the air in the car.
polevaultpower

Postby Marlow » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:54 am

polevaultpower wrote:It's a crucial difference to broadcasters because the advertising and revenue models are different.

Indeed, but the term is ludicrous, since they ARE watching current TV shows.
Marlow