World Champs Marathon open to masses

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

World Champs Marathon open to masses

Postby mump boy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:26 am

IAAF confirmed today that the Biejing world champs marathon in 2015 will be mass participation. What a great idea, I might just do it myself :-)

http://www.iaaf.org/news/iaaf-news/iaaf ... -6-april-d
mump boy

Re: World Champs Marathon open to masses

Postby kuha » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:29 am

It's ABOUT TIME, since no other marathons in the world are open to the masses.

:?
kuha

Postby Daisy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:34 am

Makes you wonder how many Kenyans plan to show up, and if a non competitor could grab some of the glory. My assumption is that it will be run as two distinct races.
Daisy

Postby 18.99s » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:41 am

It could be a way of offsetting the costs. All that street-blocking and police patrolling has to be done anyway, so why not use the occasion to have 10000 people paying an entry fee and participating. Two birds with one stone.

Of course, they'll probably start the championship race 10-30 minutes before the masses are allowed to get moving. At least they should.
18.99s

Postby kuha » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:43 am

The economic rationale makes perfect sense, I will admit.

Can you imagine what people would pay to run the "Olympic marathon"? :shock:
kuha

Postby aaronk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:51 am

This will give the many great Kenyans (and Ethiopians!) left off their team the chance to run the Olympic Marathon.

And mark my words......those "losers" will try to run faster than the Gold Medalist!!
And they'll brag to the world: See what a MISTAKE our nation made by not picking ME!! :P
aaronk

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:00 am

They could have in the desert somewhere with a circle of 26 miles radius and have everyone race to the center. That is a circumference of 2122 miles for a starting line. You could probably get a few million starters with that. Of course the finish would be a little crowded.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby batonless relay » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:44 am

I hope they run a contest with 10,000+ "winners" being able to compete in the WC marathon. Great way to promote the sport; even the losers might be interested in travelling to the event and maybe we get the chance to make them fans of the events inside the stadium.
batonless relay

Postby KevinM » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:10 pm

Conor Dary wrote:They could have in the desert somewhere with a circle of 26 miles radius and have everyone race to the center. That is a circumference of 2122 miles for a starting line. You could probably get a few million starters with that. Of course the finish would be a little crowded.

You solved for area. Circumference of a circle where R = 26.2 is 164.6.
KevinM

Postby KevinM » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:13 pm

aaronk wrote:This will give the many great Kenyans (and Ethiopians!) left off their team the chance to run the Olympic Marathon.

We're not talking about the Olympics.

And mark my words......those "losers" will try to run faster than the Gold Medalist!!
And they'll brag to the world: See what a MISTAKE our nation made by not picking ME!! :P

The "losers" will opt not to run an all-comers race and instead hit the summer road circuit, followed by a targeted effort at NYC, Chicago, Amsterdam, Berlin, etc.
KevinM

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:23 pm

KevinM wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:They could have in the desert somewhere with a circle of 26 miles radius and have everyone race to the center. That is a circumference of 2122 miles for a starting line. You could probably get a few million starters with that. Of course the finish would be a little crowded.

You solved for area. Circumference of a circle where R = 26.2 is 164.6.

I was too excited by those huge numbers. Absolutely correct.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby measurer » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:24 pm

This is a great idea.
One of the negatives is that the recent WC Marathon courses (also London OG) were loops - great to see the runners several times. Plus, there will need to be at least 3 waves: Women, Mens, the mass.
The IAAF 2014 World Half will also be part of a mass event.
measurer

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:28 pm

KevinM wrote:

The "losers" will opt not to run an all-comers race and instead hit the summer road circuit, followed by a targeted effort at NYC, Chicago, Amsterdam, Berlin, etc.

Unless you win the Olympics are a money loser for the East Africans anyways so the idea they would waste their time in this is silly.
Conor Dary

Postby gh » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:14 pm

measurer wrote:This is a great idea.
One of the negatives is that the recent WC Marathon courses (also London OG) were loops - great to see the runners several times. Plus, there will need to be at least 3 waves: Women, Mens, the mass.
The IAAF 2014 World Half will also be part of a mass event.

The loop-course concept in Berlin, Daegu and London worked to a T, I thought. This is a horridly retrograde idea that merely downgrades the elite experience as far as I'm concerned.
gh