Bo doesn't know


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Bo doesn't know

Postby Marlow » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:17 am

Surprised to see that Bo Jackson is declaring the dual-sport era of 'pro athletes' is 'over'.
A. there WILL be another athlete like him and Neon Deion that will play baseball and football.
B. there will always be NFL players who will make money (aka 'pro') sprinting. Good money.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21079
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby gktrack » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:56 am

Speaking of NFL guys... I wonder how Demps looked at the Florida relays in the 4x1?

... and what happened to Adrian Peterson's idea of sprinting again?
gktrack
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby donley2 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:08 am

Marlow wrote:Surprised to see that Bo Jackson is declaring the dual-sport era of 'pro athletes' is 'over'.
A. there WILL be another athlete like him and Neon Deion that will play baseball and football.

Do you think that will happen in the next 30 years. I am not sure I think it will. And I mean actually appear in multiple games in both the NFL and MLB.
donley2
 
Posts: 2058
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fort Worth, Texas

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby Marlow » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:17 am

donley2 wrote:Do you think that will happen in the next 30 years. I am not sure I think it will. And I mean actually appear in multiple games in both the NFL and MLB.

By 2043? (sounds pretty distant, doncha think?) Yes.
2033? Maybe.
2023? Probably not.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21079
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby Blues » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:19 am

gktrack wrote:Speaking of NFL guys... I wonder how Demps looked at the Florida relays in the 4x1?

... and what happened to Adrian Peterson's idea of sprinting again?


Here's Demps' 4x1 Florida Relays video from Flotrack again in case anybody wants to see the race and hasn't already.. Demps, with orange top, runs the leadoff leg in lane 7, handing off to Gatlin.

http://www.flotrack.org/coverage/250627 ... ays-Record
Blues
 
Posts: 1088
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:58 am

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby Marlow » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:21 am

It's already been 12 years (2001) since Deion did it, so a next-gen guy can pop up in 15-20 years! :D
Marlow
 
Posts: 21079
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby Cooter Brown » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:48 am

With the way sports specialization is growing, we're probably 10 years from there being any top level youths participating in more than one sport.
Cooter Brown
 
Posts: 2056
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Austin

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby Marlow » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:17 am

Cooter Brown wrote:With the way sports specialization is growing, we're probably 10 years from there being any top level youths participating in more than one sport.

There will be PLENTY of two-sport stars in D1 colleges! (and even some three-sport). Genetic freaks don't need no stinkin' specialization.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21079
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby gktrack » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:23 am

Marlow wrote:
Cooter Brown wrote:With the way sports specialization is growing, we're probably 10 years from there being any top level youths participating in more than one sport.

There will be PLENTY of two-sport stars in D1 colleges! (and even some three-sport). Genetic freaks don't need no stinkin' specialization.


Sure hope Marlon Humphrey (13.30/35.60 this past week) is one of them being a star football player as well, as sprintdoc mentioned in an earlier thread... and thanks Blues for the post on Demps 4x1, also explains why C. Dukes wasn't in FL's 4x4 at the FL relays.
gktrack
 
Posts: 1119
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby gh » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:15 am

One reason Bo may be close to right is the ever-increasing of specialization for kids from the ground up, with tight-to-the-vest coaches telling their best athletes that if they ever want to be anything they should be practicing their sport 365.

Track gets a bit of a pass because working on speed/strength can be a plus for other sports.

But in the context of "pro" sports that Bo was talking about, my bet would be that he wasn't including track as part of that.
gh
 
Posts: 46302
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby CookyMonzta » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:20 pm

Marlow wrote:Surprised to see that Bo Jackson is declaring the dual-sport era of 'pro athletes' is 'over'.
A. there WILL be another athlete like him and Neon Deion that will play baseball and football.
B. there will always be NFL players who will make money (aka 'pro') sprinting. Good money.

I doubt the era of the dual-sport athlete is over. Not very long ago (1996-98), Jackie was still long-jumping, competing in the heptathlon and playing basketball (although very sporadically) in the short-lived ABL.
CookyMonzta
 
Posts: 2392
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby gh » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:53 pm

Yes, there will always be track people talented enough to cross over to other sports. But like Bo says, I'm coming down as one who thinks that "team" sports will rarely, if ever, see it again.
gh
 
Posts: 46302
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby CookyMonzta » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:58 pm

Do sports not as popular in the U.S. count? When was the last time, if ever, that one athlete doubled in basketball and volleyball?
CookyMonzta
 
Posts: 2392
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby bushop » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:15 pm

Marlow wrote:A. there WILL be another athlete like him and Neon Deion that will play baseball and football.

Would you agree the changing demographics of MLB players would make that combination less likely? Not many American football players spending their teen years in Latin America.
bushop
 
Posts: 1866
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby Pego » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:47 am

I have hard time thinking of athletes that ever played more than one team sport (emphasis "team sport") at the highest level.
Pego
 
Posts: 10196
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby Marlow » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:48 am

Pego wrote:I have hard time thinking of athletes that ever played more than one team sport (emphasis "team sport") at the highest level.

So Bo and Deion are hard to remember?
Marlow
 
Posts: 21079
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby kamikaze7 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:31 am

Surprised to see that Bo Jackson is declaring the dual-sport era of 'pro athletes' is 'over'.


I dont think there was ever a dual sport era. How many dual sport athletes were there before Bo Jackson ?
For an athlete to excel in two sports at the topmost level is a rare phenomenon. It can still happen though. Look at Jefferey Demps, Lawrence Okoye. Both have the potential to do so.
kamikaze7
 
Posts: 705
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:05 pm

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby Marlow » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:40 am

kamikaze7 wrote:I dont think there was ever a dual sport era. How many dual sport athletes were there before Bo Jackson ?

70
There's a wiki page on them. Granted, most are from yesteryear.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21079
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby Pego » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:14 am

Marlow wrote:
Pego wrote:I have hard time thinking of athletes that ever played more than one team sport (emphasis "team sport") at the highest level.

So Bo and Deion are hard to remember?


Yes, they were mentioned here before, so I did not repeat them. Give me more. I can think also of Bobrov, who played on a Soviet national team in soccer and hockey in the fifties. I knew a few soccer/hockey players in the Czechoslovak first league, but not to the national team quality. I am telling you, there are very few of this breed.

I just see that you mentioned 70 on Wiki. Give me a link to that page, please.
Pego
 
Posts: 10196
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby kamikaze7 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:33 am

Marlow wrote:
kamikaze7 wrote:I dont think there was ever a dual sport era. How many dual sport athletes were there before Bo Jackson ?

70
There's a wiki page on them. Granted, most are from yesteryear.


I thought we were talking about athletes who excelled at the highest levels in both sports.
If we are including lower levels such as college then the dual sport era has always existed and will always exist.
kamikaze7
 
Posts: 705
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:05 pm

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby lonewolf » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:33 am

I believe there are and always will be many athletes capable of competing at the highest level in more than one sport. It is just that it is not convenient or necessary and few are motivated to do it.
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8813
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby Marlow » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:44 am

kamikaze7 wrote:I thought we were talking about athletes who excelled at the highest levels in both sports.


We are

Pego wrote:I just see that you mentioned 70 on Wiki. Give me a link to that page, please.


Here's a larger list. We can quibble about the accomplishments of many of these, but they played two sports at the highest level.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mu ... t_athletes
Marlow
 
Posts: 21079
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby kamikaze7 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:02 am

The highest level of American team sports is the major leagues.
The highest level of individual sports is to compete against the best in the world

Almost None of the athletes in that list achieved the highest level in their second sport.

Examples
1. Tom Brady was drafted by the Montreal Expos but never played for them
2. Robert Griffin III ran track in college but never competed outside college not even the US trials
3. John Elway only played minor league baseball.

These can hardly be classified as the highest level

Again if Bo Jackson's definition of dual sport athelete means playing 2 sports at the highest level then we have never been in that era. He was an exception as was Deion

If he means being well known in two sports then we have always been in that era and always will be. There will always be people good enough to play two sports in college because the skills are often apply to two sports. Having a strong arm often means you can pitch and play QB. Being fast often means you can run the 100m in college and also play defensive back. You dont even have to be superfast. You can run college track with a PB of say 10.70
....................
Last edited by kamikaze7 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
kamikaze7
 
Posts: 705
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:05 pm

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby Pego » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:04 am

Marlow wrote:
kamikaze7 wrote:I thought we were talking about athletes who excelled at the highest levels in both sports.


We are

Pego wrote:I just see that you mentioned 70 on Wiki. Give me a link to that page, please.


Here's a larger list. We can quibble about the accomplishments of many of these, but they played two sports at the highest level.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mu ... t_athletes


I looked at the list (admittingly not a detailed study). Other than a few ex-soccer players turned NFL place kickers, the only legit 2 top level team sport players I can identify are Ainge and Wilt. I might have missed some, but not more than a couple if that.
Pego
 
Posts: 10196
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby gh » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 am

They're missing a track guy! Canada's Syl Apps was =6th in the the '36 Olympic pole vault and went on to have a dozen-year career in the NHL, starting with being rookie of the year.
gh
 
Posts: 46302
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:21 am

Jim Brown was no slouch as a lacrosse player, where the highest level is not so clear in the context of his day (or now) with no big, much better pro circuit.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16314
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby Marlow » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:03 am

My bottom line is that some guys (Jim Thorpe and Jackie Robinson spring to mind) are such athletic out-liers that they will always be able to double, and some, like Bo and Deion, will. That 'truth' won't disappear, even in a so-called Age of Specialization.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21079
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby gh » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:09 am

In a true Darwinian world that would hold true, but while the multi-sport athlete was revered in Brown's day (and to a lesser extent so too in Sanders'), if you've got coaches/parents aggressively working to channel the kids into a single stream from a young age, it won't be easy to develop the all-around skills that are required in addition to base genetic talent to make it at the high end in other sports.
gh
 
Posts: 46302
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby 502CD » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:12 am

Danny Ainge played for both the Blue Jays and the Celtics.
502CD
 
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:45 am

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby Marlow » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:39 am

gh wrote:if you've got coaches/parents aggressively working to channel the kids into a single stream from a young age, it won't be easy to develop the all-around skills that are required in addition to base genetic talent to make it at the high end in other sports.

That is NOT happening in my neck of the woods. The emphasis is on being good at MANY things, not just a few. Almost my whole track team is coming from other sports. I'm pretty sure that's the rule, not the exception. While baseball is primarily baseball-only, the football kids all play other sports, as do the basketball players. The soccer players almost always play another sport.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21079
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby donley2 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:41 am

Marlow wrote:
gh wrote:if you've got coaches/parents aggressively working to channel the kids into a single stream from a young age, it won't be easy to develop the all-around skills that are required in addition to base genetic talent to make it at the high end in other sports.

That is NOT happening in my neck of the woods. The emphasis is on being good at MANY things, not just a few. Almost my whole track team is coming from other sports. I'm pretty sure that's the rule, not the exception.


I think GH meant to point out track and field was an exception. I personally would guess the number of two sport athletes baseball, basketball, football (especially if football is in the mix) at large Texas 4A/5A is extremely small for exactly the reasons GH is putting out there.
donley2
 
Posts: 2058
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fort Worth, Texas

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby jjk4ever » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:46 am

CookyMonzta wrote:Do sports not as popular in the U.S. count? When was the last time, if ever, that one athlete doubled in basketball and volleyball?


This past season the University of Maryland womens team had a volleyball player join the team midseason due to the bball team having so many injuries.
jjk4ever
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:04 am

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby gh » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:49 am

donley2 wrote:
Marlow wrote:
gh wrote:if you've got coaches/parents aggressively working to channel the kids into a single stream from a young age, it won't be easy to develop the all-around skills that are required in addition to base genetic talent to make it at the high end in other sports.

That is NOT happening in my neck of the woods. The emphasis is on being good at MANY things, not just a few. Almost my whole track team is coming from other sports. I'm pretty sure that's the rule, not the exception.


I think GH meant to point out track and field was an exception. I personally would guess the number of two sport athletes baseball, basketball, football (especially if football is in the mix) at large Texas 4A/5A is extremely small for exactly the reasons GH is putting out there.


Yes, in the world of big-time sports, track is merely an activity (sigh): "sports" are football, basketball, baseball, soccer, etc,. etc. Team stuff involving a ball.
gh
 
Posts: 46302
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby cullman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:26 pm

7 footers are still a commodity in the NBA and becoming one in the MLB. They're converting position players into pitchers so why not?

jjk4ever wrote:
CookyMonzta wrote:Do sports not as popular in the U.S. count? When was the last time, if ever, that one athlete doubled in basketball and volleyball?


This past season the University of Maryland womens team had a volleyball player join the team midseason due to the bball team having so many injuries.

You have to go back almost 50 years but Keith Erickson won NCAA Championships in both volleyball and basketball while at UCLA. He was also on the LA Lakers' 1972 Championship team. Former NBA player and pro beach volleyball star, Greg Lee was a teammate of Bill Walton at UCLA.
cullman
 
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: ...in training...for something...

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby gh » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:33 pm

NCAA didn't have a volleyball championships before 1970 and Erickson was class of '65. Perhaps there was a precursor?

He still qualifies though, because he was on the '64 Olympic volleyball team.

I seem to remember a vague story from the early '70s that he and Wilt were unbeatable as a beach volleyball duo in SoCal.
gh
 
Posts: 46302
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby cullman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:05 pm

Ooops...it turns out it was the 1965 USVBA National Championship! I have an old mag which has a pic of UCLA (in hand me down UCLA Varsity basketball jerseys) playing Santa Monica City College in the Championship match which I mistakingly thought was for an NCAA title.

A little Googling™ and wah-lah: http://www.fanbase.com/UCLA-Bruins-Mens-Volleyball-1965
cullman
 
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: ...in training...for something...

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:06 pm

I recall that one of those years that UCLA won every sport that had a ball and a net (BB, VB, Water polo, not sure that soccer was a full sport then, ?)
26mi235
 
Posts: 16314
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Bo doesn't know

Postby mal » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:17 am

gh wrote:Yes, there will always be track people talented enough to cross over to other sports. But like Bo says, I'm coming down as one who thinks that "team" sports will rarely, if ever, see it again.


Nah, I think there will be plenty of athletes capable of doing the double.

The real issue is whether they will ever find out what they are capable of, if they are shuttled off into some singular view of competition.

Of course I am not adding in the team shuffleboard, as that may open up potentials for triple "superstars".
mal
 
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gabriella, lonewolf and 12 guests