Margaret Thatcher Dead

Normally open July 4th only---the one day a year when partisan politics, religion, etc. are acceptable topics on this Board (within reason). The forum is now closed.

Margaret Thatcher Dead

Postby mump boy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:19 am

I haven't got time to think of enough vitriol to post here at the moment

I'll be back later with my thoughts :x
mump boy

Re: Margaret Thatcher Dead

Postby Marlow » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:23 am

mump boy wrote:I haven't got time to think of enough vitriol to post here at the moment

You can probably keep them. I didn't like her buddy, Ronald Reagan, but I sure didn't dump on him at his death. :(
Marlow

Postby batonless relay » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:31 am

Marlow wrote:
mump boy wrote:I haven't got time to think of enough vitriol to post here at the moment

You can probably keep them. I didn't like her buddy, Ronald Reagan, but I sure didn't dump on him at his death. :(

The saying goes (or something like this): when GOD puts his hands on a man, I take mine off.
batonless relay

Postby mump boy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:48 am

Reagan had nothing on her wanton and purposeful destruction of certain parts of the UK and i don't believe in sentimentalising the dead or anyone else for that matter

Every one if UK current problems can be traced back to Thatcher. Destruction of manufacturing and working class solidarity and pride, denigration of public sector professions like teaching and nursing, greedy, selfish, something for nothing culture. She may have been a pioneer but she did absolutely nothing for any other woman. But at least she got there all by herself, rather than the smug, over privileged, under experienced shower of self serving ***** we have at the moment.
mump boy

Postby Daisy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:56 am

Here are the latest comments on the NYTimes obituary.

mungomunroMaine
" The problem with Thatcher and Reagan style vulture capitalism is that you eventually run out of suckers to fund your ponzi scheme's."
Just as US president Thomas Jefferson predicted.
April 8, 2013 at 8:46 a.m.

Bob of NewtonMassachusetts
One is not supposed to speak ill of the dead but for Thatcher I will make an exception.
April 8, 2013 at 8:45 a.m.

ed2001Kelso, WA
"There is no such thing as society," she said in an interview to a lady's magazine in 1987. This encapulated her political philosophy and would be a befitting epitaph of one of the most divisive political figures of our times.
April 8, 2013 at 8:45 a.m.
Daisy

Postby Marlow » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:11 am

mump boy wrote:Reagan had nothing on her wanton and purposeful destruction of certain parts of the UK and i don't believe in sentimentalising the dead or anyone else for that matter

So at your mother's death you won't mind people saying ugly things about her . . .
Marlow

Postby mump boy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:25 am

Marlow wrote:
mump boy wrote:Reagan had nothing on her wanton and purposeful destruction of certain parts of the UK and i don't believe in sentimentalising the dead or anyone else for that matter

So at your mother's death you won't mind people saying ugly things about her . . .

My mum didn't destroy millions of people's lives and the fabric of my country but people can whatever they like about her !! Only the truth hurts
Last edited by mump boy on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
mump boy

Postby Marlow » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:52 am

mump boy wrote:My didn't destroy millions of people's lives and the fabric of my country but people can whatever they like about her !!

Sorry you feel that way.
Marlow

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:32 am

Marlow wrote:

I think mump catches the sentiment of quite a few in Britain.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:58 am

Even Grantham, her old home town, isn't too keen on Maggie.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... tatue.html

I have been to Grantham years ago. I was really surprised how there was nothing at all about her.

Newton by the way, was born just 8 miles up the road north.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby aaronk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:41 am

On January 20, 2017....
after President-Elect Sarah Louise Heath Palin.....
takes the Oath of Office as the.....
first female President of the United States....
I have no doubt that in her Inaugural Address....
President Palin will honor the legacy of....
Lady Margaret Thatcher of Great Britain!!

Rest in Peace, Iron Lady.
aaronk

Postby mump boy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:48 am

Conor Dary wrote:
Marlow wrote:

I think mump catches the sentiment of quite a few in Britain.

What i've posted is VERY mild compared to a lot of what i've read

'Ding Dong the Witch is dead' being the most popular
mump boy

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:04 am

And then there is Bradford (Yorkshire) MP George Galloway, who tweeted: “Tramp the dirt down.”

Oh, dear!
Conor Dary

Postby Master Po » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:27 am

Conor Dary wrote:And then there is Bradford (Yorkshire) MP George Galloway, who tweeted: “Tramp the dirt down.”

Oh, dear!

Indeed. Reminds me of the first thing I heard someone say upon hearing the news of Richard Nixon's death, "I hope they drove a stake through his heart."

Such persons cannot but inspire strong, strong reactions, in life and in death.

As for me, I actually thought Thatcher had passed away some time ago. Oops.
Master Po

Postby Daisy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:40 am

Master Po wrote:I actually thought Thatcher had passed away some time ago. Oops.

In some ways she did. I think she had Alzheimers, and for obvious reasons, dropped out of public life.
Daisy

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:46 am

Master Po wrote:

As for me, I actually thought Thatcher had passed away some time ago. Oops.

Maybe you were thinking of the third part of the British drama House of Cards, The Final Cut which begins with Thatcher's death.

Episode 1

[Urquhart is attending the fictional funeral of Margaret Thatcher]
    Urquhart: What a rigmarole – a full state funeral now. The woman simply hung around too long. Better a quick exit than clinging to the wreckage of a lost career. Some people seem to lack all sense of timing.

Episode 2

[Urquhart and his wife are watching architects chart the grounds of Parliment for a memorial to Margaret Thatcher]
    Elizabeth: The Margaret Thatcher Memorial. Is there really no way of preventing it?
    Urquhart: It would seem not. It's all been paid for out of the Foundation. And the site was earmarked fifteen years ago, apparently. For a time, there seemed some possibility of putting it up in Grantham. Where no one would have to look at it.
    Elizabeth: Except the unfortunate inhabitants. Where is Grantham, anyway?
    Urquhart: No one seems quite sure.
    Elizabeth: Couldn't the Arts Council do something about it?
    Urquhart: You forget, my dear. We abolished the Arts Council a year ago.
    Elizabeth: Of course. Department of National Heritage?
    Urquhart: No, not their pidgeon, apparently. It seems the best we can hope for is to keep the scale of that thing down and perhaps plan a somewhat larger memorial of oneself to stand nearby.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/House_of_C ... trilogy%29
Conor Dary

Postby mump boy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:45 am

Conor Dary wrote:And then there is Bradford (Yorkshire) MP George Galloway, who tweeted: “Tramp the dirt down.”

Oh, dear!

George Galloway is an attention seeking twat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1NIuCt72bU

but also a bit of a hero from 5.50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4LDQixpCa8
Last edited by mump boy on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:46 am

This is a very fair summation of Margaret Thatcher

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... -editorial
mump boy

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:19 pm

mump boy wrote:
but also a bit of a hero from 5.50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4LDQixpCa8

I remember that.
Conor Dary

Postby jeremyp » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:45 pm

Marlow wrote:

C'mon Marlow your mother is private Maggie is public. Famous people get no kid gloves at Obit time, but mostly they will get hagioraphy from the media until the dust settles. I remember after Reagan died and they had trumpeted him up to heaven on the Prime time news for the umpteenth time my turning to my wife and asking: "Remind me didn't we hate the S.O.B?"
jeremyp