Samsung pulls out of Diamond League

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Samsung pulls out of Diamond League

Postby gh » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:19 am

IAAF left without a sponsor with a month to go before the year kicks off. Story on front page.
gh

Re: Samsung pulls out of Diamond League

Postby batonless relay » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:21 pm

They have Bolt now (pitching cameras), they don't need a whole circuit.
batonless relay

Postby sprintdoc » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:49 pm

batonless relay you are right, this is the sort of thing that I feared with Bolt's emergence. He takes a huge chunk of the money in appearance fees, sponsorship deals and I assume he still has an ambassador deal with the Diamond League, or at least what is left of the league without a sponsor.

Someone at the IAAF must have ticked off someone at Samsung for this to happen so close to the season. This is unprecendented in professional sports to see a title sponsor pull out so close to the start of the new season.

I imagine this will result in even less money in athletes pockets as well as just embarrassing for the sport especially coming off an exciting Olympic year.
sprintdoc

Postby marknhj » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:56 pm

I'm surprised that the sponsorship deal was worth only ~$5 million, that is not a particularly huge sum. And why would their renewal option (assuming one existed) allow them to decline the option so close to the season? Or was their commitment taken for granted?

Athletes who are pushing for their personal sponsorship deals to be made more visible should probably take note of the last paragraph.
marknhj

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:00 pm

marknhj wrote:I'm surprised that the sponsorship deal was worth only ~$5 million, that is not a particularly huge sum. And why would their renewal option (assuming one existed) allow them to decline the option so close to the season? Or was their commitment taken for granted?

Athletes who are pushing for their personal sponsorship deals to be made more visible should probably take note of the last paragraph.

My thoughts also. Zurich alone is almost that to put on.

And I agree with you on that last paragraph.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby batonless relay » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:27 pm

-in 2003 Nextel paid $40,000,000/year to acquire the Nascar sponsorship in addition to agreeing to spend $30,000,000 promoting the sponsorship (Nextel was later bought by Sprint and its agreed that not only did Nextel overpay but that they never recouped their money. Hard to do ROI on anything; sponsorship is nearly impossible.)

-In 2009 Barclays paid £40million/year for English Premier League

-I couldn't find what Barclays pays for ATP Tennis, but I doubt its anywhere close to NASCAR or EPL. Maybe a quarter...maybe less. ATP Tennis also has 750,000 fans for the series.

-Diamond League has 14 events in 2013. If the London meet has 160,000 for both days, it is still unlikely that the other 13 events can generate 340,000 fans to make 500,000.

Basically, the sport isn't worth more than $5million/year.
batonless relay

Postby eldanielfire » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:55 pm

sprintdoc wrote:batonless relay you are right, this is the sort of thing that I feared with Bolt's emergence. He takes a huge chunk of the money in appearance fees, sponsorship deals and I assume he still has an ambassador deal with the Diamond League, or at least what is left of the league without a sponsor.

Someone at the IAAF must have ticked off someone at Samsung for this to happen so close to the season. This is unprecendented in professional sports to see a title sponsor pull out so close to the start of the new season.

I imagine this will result in even less money in athletes pockets as well as just embarrassing for the sport especially coming off an exciting Olympic year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... -deal.html

According to the link, it has nothing to do with Bolt apparently, but Samsung seem to feel the exposure of other 'brands' at individual events means their sponsorship doesn't really get them the sales boost like the other brands as a result.

I do think the big Diamond as the logo doesn't help, I would think Samsung were selling jewels if I didn't know better. I also think T&F tends to do a bad job at promoting itself to the wider populaces let alone it's sponsors. UK athletics is also having trouble getting sponsorship and that is a situation nothing to do with Bolt.
eldanielfire

Postby Trackrunner » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:50 pm

As someone noted in the comment section of the Telegraph article, how could the IAAF structure its contract in such a way that the lead sponsor could exit with one month to go before the series begins. Can the IAAF reasonably find another sponsor at a comparable rate in just 30 days? Serious problems in the IAAF methinks and track's governing body almost certainly needs a makeover.
Trackrunner

Postby JumboElliott » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:27 pm

De Beers Diamond League. That's almost a no brainer.
JumboElliott

Postby dl » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:23 am

Trackrunner wrote:As someone noted in the comment section of the Telegraph article, how could the IAAF structure its contract in such a way that the lead sponsor could exit with one month to go before the series begins. Can the IAAF reasonably find another sponsor at a comparable rate in just 30 days? Serious problems in the IAAF methinks and track's governing body almost certainly needs a makeover.

There's no mention of when the contract expired, only that Samsung decided not to renew. I have zero inside knowledge, but I would guess that the contract was through the calendar year of 2012 (or the date of the last DL meeting last year).

I would imagine that the IAAF was hopeful that Samsung would re-sing even after the beginning of the new year (which leads me to believe there were no other possibilities out there), but Samsung found someone, err, something, more attractive.
dl

Postby aaronk » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:33 am

Samsung sings a sad song! :(
aaronk

Postby norunner » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:47 pm

Considering the lack of tv coverage of the DL, it's not surprising Samsung isn't interested anymore. In how many big tv markets is the DL actually broadcast on tv? Even the BBC, probably the biggest T&F supporter, doesn't broadcast all meetings, some they only stream on their webpage. In Germany some meetings are shown on a small sports only network, others not at all. First the IAAF needs to better market the DL, then they can get decent sponsoring.
norunner

Postby Tuariki » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:19 pm

Oh well, I guess replacing my Samsung with the latest HTC One was the right thing to do after all.
:lol:
Tuariki

Postby HopStepJump » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:21 pm

When the concept of the Diamond League emerged, it looked really good on paper. There were supposed to be a lot of great head-to-head matchups, less ducking by the sprinters. It never lived up to the hype, and Sansung is doing pretty well right now, so they probably have better places to advertise.
HopStepJump

Postby eldanielfire » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:19 am

HopStepJump wrote:When the concept of the Diamond League emerged, it looked really good on paper. There were supposed to be a lot of great head-to-head matchups, less ducking by the sprinters. It never lived up to the hype, and Sansung is doing pretty well right now, so they probably have better places to advertise.

Interesting that they are still sponsoring the Rowing World cup meets. But yeah T&F needs to be selling itself to sizable TV channels in a big way for a good spot. T&F clearly has opportunities to grow and the Olympics it is centre stage and at the World Championships it's global audience is comparable to other major sports. The big problem is that the Diamond league is sold poorly and there has never been a big and coordinated marketing push to capitalise on expanding it's TV audience. The majority of the public won't know when and if it starts and it then makes virtually no use of the world championships as a platform to sell the final and biggest meets, that has got to change.
eldanielfire

Postby aaronk » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:01 am

Tell the truth, I don't really care for the DL concept.
Athletes go for the prizes, not for marks.
Also, the sameness of the events doesn't allow for ALL the events to be contested.
(NOT in ONE meet, but over the DL season!!)

I'd love to see some 10K's in there, and a couple of two milers, and more one miles!!
Not to mention all the field events, especially the PV, HJ, and HT!!

Return to the "independent"-run meets.

If you MUST have a "prizes" concept, how about this?:

1.No overall prize! (Diamond or whatever!)
2. No appearance fees!
3. Money awarded to athletes...based on their marks.

3A: WR gets $100,000!
Mark in Top 5 A-T gets $50,000.
Mark between 6 and 10 A-T gets $25,000.
Mark between 11 and 20 A-T gets $10,000.
Mark between 21 and 50 A-T gets $5000.

4. Athletes must race others in Top 10 for that year to qualify for prizes!!!
aaronk

Postby gh » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:23 am

eldanielfire wrote:.... The big problem is that the Diamond league is sold poorly and there has never been a big and coordinated marketing push to capitalise on expanding it's TV audience. .....

Of course there has! Everything the DL does is aimed towards building a TV audience. This is the same kind of thing as people here who are forever saying "USATF doesn't market the sport right; if only they'd improve the marketing."

The inconvenient truth is that while you and I may be transfixed by the sport, track & field remains an incredibly tough sell to the man in the street there is no magic formula out there that can change that. Well, not unless you can convince Bolt to run two or three hundred meets a year.
gh

Postby Ned Ryerson » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:07 am

aaronk wrote:2. No appearance fees!

So no Bolt (or anyone else particularly compelling).
Ned Ryerson

Postby ZELLGADISS » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:57 am

The money in DL always was very few really..
ONLY 10.000 $ by victory and 1000-6000 since 8th to 2nd place.
And ohhhh if you gets the final victory in your event after a lot of hard events in the season, ONLY 40.000 $(and no injuries in the end of season because you will be DQ if you dont run)

A example i win 5 events in the season(very very hard) =50.000+final victory Diamond Race= 90.000 $

Bolt only with to tell HI in a stadium is around 300.000 $

DL pay very very few in prize money 8-)
ZELLGADISS

Postby eldanielfire » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:49 pm

gh wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:.... The big problem is that the Diamond league is sold poorly and there has never been a big and coordinated marketing push to capitalise on expanding it's TV audience. .....

Of course there has! Everything the DL does is aimed towards building a TV audience. This is the same kind of thing as people here who are forever saying "USATF doesn't market the sport right; if only they'd improve the marketing."

The inconvenient truth is that while you and I may be transfixed by the sport, track & field remains an incredibly tough sell to the man in the street there is no magic formula out there that can change that. Well, not unless you can convince Bolt to run two or three hundred meets a year.

I'm not sure this is true. the Diamond league may have been intended for building a TV audience, that doesn't mean that have succeeded in any way or not been incompetent in going about it or done the right things. There is no magic formula, just hard work to promote it to new fans. Some of what I have said, poor details to the standings, events, what's coming up, poor interaction with other athletic events like the world championships and poor interaction with the fans. If I where one of the bods in charge I'd look at what the NBA is doing, they do a greta job of self promotionand bu
eldanielfire

Postby norunner » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:06 pm

There are so many things wrong with the way T&F is currently presented on TV it would take a LOT of work to change it all. For example, why do tv directors think it's exciting to see 6-10 slow motions of every goddam race while almost completely ignoring field events? It's boring, unnecessary, show a race, show one slow motion then move to other live action. And generally for Europe, show more field events. Europe currently sucks at most running events, so show us the events where our athletes are good. As much as i love T&F, i'd much rather watch Lavillenie and Otto duke it out then see 10 kenyans and 5 ethiopians run 5000m.
One thing that the IAAF can't do anything about is the lack of running talent in Europe. If Germany had an Armin Hary or Harald Schmid, basically any worldclass runner, DL meetings would get a lot more attention over here. When we had Boris Becker and Steffi Graf, tennis was on tv all the time, now it's nowhere.
norunner

Postby Brian » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:34 pm

Nuts.

Corny as it may seem--all other things equal--I usually go out of my way to patronize USATF and/or IAAF sponsors. I got and used a Mobil card for most of the '90's.

So after having narrowed down my choice for a big-screen HD television to either Sony or Samsung, I went with the latter.

Where the Hell's my warranty slip...?

:]
Brian

Postby Ned Ryerson » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:50 pm

ZELLGADISS wrote:DL pay very very few in prize money 8-)

What should they pay?
Ned Ryerson

Postby Ned Ryerson » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:53 pm

eldanielfire wrote:If I where one of the bods in charge I'd look at what the NBA is doing, they do a greta job of self promotionand bu

Do you have an example of a sports series with a more comparable budget? I think Kobe Bryant's annual salary is equal to or greater than the entire annual budget of the Diamond League.
Ned Ryerson

Postby eldanielfire » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:46 pm

Ned Ryerson wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:If I where one of the bods in charge I'd look at what the NBA is doing, they do a greta job of self promotionand bu

Do you have an example of a sports series with a more comparable budget? I think Kobe Bryant's annual salary is equal to or greater than the entire annual budget of the Diamond League.

I'm not talking about their budgets, it's the ground work they put it, from the effective use of their website using highlight vids, highlighting upcoming clashes, directing the narrative of the season. The NBA website alone is a headline generator and great news source and gets you excited and pumped for the sport. The Diamond league website doesn't have the quick updates, hype articles and highlights of meets aren't presented in the outstanding way on the front page which is boring and hasn't changed in 2 years and certainly doesn't tell you much or keep you coming back next week to check out more. The NBA website is IMO the definitive embracing of what the internet can do for an organisation.
eldanielfire

Postby Ned Ryerson » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:24 am

eldanielfire wrote:
I'm not talking about their budgets, it's the ground work they put it, from the effective use of their website using highlight vids, highlighting upcoming clashes, directing the narrative of the season. The NBA website alone is a headline generator and great news source and gets you excited and pumped for the sport. The Diamond league website doesn't have the quick updates, hype articles and highlights of meets aren't presented in the outstanding way on the front page which is boring and hasn't changed in 2 years and certainly doesn't tell you much or keep you coming back next week to check out more. The NBA website is IMO the definitive embracing of what the internet can do for an organisation.

I dont' disagree that there's a lot to learn from the NBA. I think NBA games are textbook examples of successful sports entertainment. But there's a lot that can't be replicated.

For starters, every matchup in the NBA is decided months in advance. You're never in a situation wondering if Miami will ever play against Oklahoma City. And you're never in a situation when Miami is injured or not in good shape and cancel a game. And that's because athletes in the NBA get paid whether or not their team wins or loses. Kobe Bryant is getting paid over $27 million this year whether or not his team makes the playoffs. They could lose 82 games and he would still get paid that much, whereas in track, even appearance fees would start to evaporate if you were soundly beaten time after time.

The weak point in our regular season is that it's totally expendable, whereas an NBA team needs to perform above a certain level in the regular season in order to play for the big prize in the postseason. Because all the incentive money is tied to Olympic and World Champion medals, and additional sponsorships outside of shoe companies largely go just to medalists, that's all the matters. If the timing of an anticipated competition puts the preparation for the major championship at risk, it's an easy choice to cancel that one competition because so much more money is riding on the championship race.
Ned Ryerson

Postby Marlow » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:54 am

The bottom line is the bottom line. It's a vicious circle: T&F doesn't generate a lot of revenue, so there's no $$ (or Euros) to spend on promotion, so the public is ill-informed, so T&F generates less revenue. We're stuck in a downward spiral that only some rich moneybags uncle could bail us out from, and if it that ain't Uncle Phil (he does what he can), it ain't no one.

Right now we're exactly where we belong . . . :(

That said, could we do it SMARTER? Sure. And that's where our efforts should be directed. We've seen some great ideas through the years on this forum, but neither IAAF nor USATF have taken the bull by the horns, which begins by doing some very creative, imaginative (not necessarily expensive) ways of promoting, marketing, packaging, hyping, collaborating, organizing, unifying and galvanizing EVERYONE involved. It would take a visionary (which I thought Doug Logan was going to be, alas) to pull all this together, but we of infinite hope KNOW it can be done. :D
Marlow

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:32 am

And have World Peace and all that!!!

Look, track had its day. It was hugely popular in Europe, and here of course, once, but now football (soccer) has taken the top athletes and the public's attention and almost all of the money. I mean 5 million is the price of sponsorship of a third division football side in Europe or the UK. So if Samsung won't even pay that....

Frankly I am still amazed track has any life at all. But it is still hanging in there, and not doing too bad here, especially at the collegiate and hs level. And as long as Phil Knight is around....

But the idea that the answer is some Super-Duper marketing plan that will bring back the good old days is fantasy land.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby eldanielfire » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:14 am

Conor Dary wrote:And have World Peace and all that!!!

Look, track had its day. It was hugely popular in Europe, and here of course, once, but now football (soccer) has taken the top athletes and the public's attention and almost all of the money. I mean 5 million is the price of sponsorship of a third division football side in Europe or the UK. So if Samsung won't even pay that....

Frankly I am still amazed track has any life at all. But it is still hanging in there, and not doing too bad here, especially at the collegiate and hs level. And as long as Phil Knight is around....

But the idea that the answer is some Super-Duper marketing plan that will bring back the good old days is fantasy land.

I think this is too negative. Track at the Olympics is the most watched sport. Some 2 Billion people at it's peak. It also has the biggest global star in Usain Bolt. Even football can't manage that. The World Championships more or less attracts the same global audience as the Champions League final. People are interested when they are given something that is promoted to them. I'm not saying the Diamond League can compete with the NBA, but it could raise it's profile a lot by seeing the things the NBA does which has increased it's popularity in recent years. A lot of that isn't a huge marketing budget, but just doing the things that reach out to people and keep them excited and connected. The Diamond League does nothing of the sort, it's website is not exciting, interesting or even any good for news. The TV deals it creates are just poor in terms of exposure. Advertising rarely uses the media in it's most useful modern form. If the internet, Twitter etc tells us anything it is that interactive and constantly changing net usage grows the sport, not the dull cooperate rubbish we have available to us.
eldanielfire

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:14 am

Ned Ryerson wrote:
I dont' disagree that there's a lot to learn from the NBA. I think NBA games are textbook examples of successful sports entertainment. But there's a lot that can't be replicated.

The idea that track, a sport of individuals, can compete with team sports is cuckoo land. How exciting would basketball be if it was just 2 guys doing it? I think LeBron vs. Kobe one-on-one would get old pretty fast.

PS. Yes, golf does well, but golf is a rich man's sport. Watch the ads. Fancy cars, investment banking, 4 hour...well you get the idea.

Not too many ads about how to clear your debts or joining the army, or drinking crap, watered down beer.
Conor Dary

Postby Pego » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:14 am

This is about as accurate an assessment as I have ever heard.
Pego

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:24 am

eldanielfire wrote:
I think this is too negative. Track at the Olympics is the most watched sport. Some 2 Billion people at it's peak. It also has the biggest global star in Usain Bolt. Even football can't manage that. The World Championships more or less attracts the same global audience as the Champions League final. People are interested when they are given something that is promoted to them. I'm not saying the Diamond League can compete with the NBA, but it could raise it's profile a lot by seeing the things the NBA does which has increased it's popularity in recent years. A lot of that isn't a huge marketing budget, but just doing the things that reach out to people and keep them excited and connected. The Diamond League does nothing of the sort, it's website is not exciting, interesting or even any good for news. The TV deals it creates are just poor in terms of exposure. Advertising rarely uses the media in it's most useful modern form. If the internet, Twitter etc tells us anything it is that interactive and constantly changing net usage grows the sport, not the dull cooperate rubbish we have available to us.

Yes, the Olympics are Big! And so are reality shows, which is what the Olympics is turned into. It is 2 weeks of entertainment for the masses and that is it. A country may have its star but it sure won't turn their countrymen into track fans. Once the Olympics are over... Now what is on tv.

And Bolt is big, big. But he is only one guy. He is like a SuperNova. Obliterating everything in its path. A great talent, but I think in the end counterproductive. I mean, who really cares about Gay, anymore, other than readers of Track and Field News? A meet these days can be successful having just Bolt.

As for twitter, web sites, those are great for dedicated fans, but as for a reason why track is down....I don't think so.
Conor Dary

Postby kuha » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:08 am

Conor Dary wrote:
Yes, the Olympics are Big! And so are reality shows, which is what the Olympics is turned into. It is 2 weeks of entertainment for the masses and that is it. A country may have its star but it sure won't turn their countrymen into track fans. Once the Olympics are over... Now what is on tv.

And Bolt is big, big. But he is only one guy. He is like a SuperNova. Obliterating everything in its path. A great talent, but I think in the end counterproductive. I mean, who really cares about Gay, anymore, other than readers of Track and Field News? A meet these days can be successful having just Bolt.

As for twitter, web sites, those are great for dedicated fans, but as for a reason why track is down....I don't think so.

Conor has it exactly right. The present day Olympics has just about nothing to do with the actual sport of track and field-- the sport that actually exists in the 3 years and 11 months between Olympics. And the gigantic fame of a Bolt is really good for Bolt but, again, actually does little for the rest of the sport.

Marketing cleverness is nearly irrelevant here. The REAL bottom line: If you care about the health of the sport, then GO watch meets. It's fine if they are free; but even better if you have to pay for a seat.
kuha

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:37 pm

Pego wrote:

This is about as accurate an assessment as I have ever heard.

Thanks for the comment. Track, in the US, while perhaps not doing as well as in the past is not on life support yet. But Pie-in-the-sky thinking is like planning your economic well being on winning the lottery.
Conor Dary

Postby aaronk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:44 pm

Track dead in the USA??

Tell that to the rejuvenated Drake Relays, set to take its place as one of the BEST relay/invitationals in the country!!

Tell that to the ALWAYS sold out Penn Relays and Pre DL!!

Tell that to the vast interest Mary Cain's exploits carried.....in venues OUTSIDE the narrow world of T&FN!!

Tell that to Lolo Jones.....or SRR.....who are doing things with the media that place them as MEDIA stars....not just great track athletes!!

Nope, track seems to be doing pretty darn good here!!
aaronk

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:49 pm

aaronk wrote:Track dead in the USA??

I guess reading isn't your specialty. Whoever said it was dead in the US?
Conor Dary

Postby norunner » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:18 pm

Conor Dary wrote:Look, track had its day. It was hugely popular in Europe, and here of course, once, but now football (soccer) has taken the top athletes and the public's attention and almost all of the money. I mean 5 million is the price of sponsorship of a third division football side in Europe or the UK. So if Samsung won't even pay that....
First you need to get your facts straight, inventing numbers to support your point isn't the way to do it. Not even all first division teams in the big european leagues get 5 mio euro a year from their main sponsors. Some examples from the german Bundesliga (first division): Eintracht Frankfurt, currently in sixth position in the league, gets 5.5 mio euros per year, the last in the standing, Greuther Fürth, gets 1.5 mio. No third division team gets anywhere close to seven figures, some don't even get six figures.
T&F is still popular in Europe, last year they sold over 55000 tickets for the ISTAF in Berlin and that isn't even part of the DL anymore. The popularity of soccer is part of the problem, but you gotta ask why soccer is so popular nowadays. 30 years ago Bayern Munich, one of the biggest teams in Europe, played in the olympic stadium in munich and on average had about 30000 spectators per game. I watched Kratochvilova run her WR there 30 years ago in the same stadium also in front of about 30000 people. Today Bayern Munich owns their own soccer only stadium while the olympic stadium in Munich is rotting away and hasn't been used for T&F for many years. It's the same with many of the biggest team in Europe, they have their own arenas, they have professional marketing teams and they have perfectly planned competitions.
What i am trying to say: Soccer has been developed into the success it is today over many years, T&F hasn't progressed at all.
norunner

Postby lionelp1 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:18 pm

Conor Dary wrote:
Ned Ryerson wrote:

The idea that track, a sport of individuals, can compete with team sports is cuckoo land. How exciting would basketball be if it was just 2 guys doing it? I think LeBron vs. Kobe one-on-one would get old pretty fast.

PS. Yes, golf does well, but golf is a rich man's sport. Watch the ads. Fancy cars, investment banking, 4 hour...well you get the idea.

Not too many ads about how to clear your debts or joining the army, or drinking crap, watered down beer.

Of course it may be a bit tough to accept the facts on the ground , but apart from some TV audiences at World Champs and OGs, the interest in our sport is and will continue to be minor in all Continents; as has been said by Conor , in as many words, it's ludicrous to compare the 47 event Track and Field world , full of people with funny names from countries that many have no interest or even knowledge of, with the easy to follow world of team sports with local and regional pull on a weekly basis.Track and field is not dead and wont be ; its not that popular in this day and age and thats it, folks.

All the clever marketing in the world won't make more than a halfpenny worth of difference, especially these days.
lionelp1

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:46 pm

norunner wrote:
T&F is still popular in Europe, last year they sold over 55000 tickets for the ISTAF in Berlin and that isn't even part of the DL anymore. The popularity of soccer is part of the problem, but you gotta ask why soccer is so popular nowadays. 30 years ago Bayern Munich, one of the biggest teams in Europe, played in the olympic stadium in munich and on average had about 30000 spectators per game. I watched Kratochvilova run her WR there 30 years ago in the same stadium also in front of about 30000 people. Today Bayern Munich owns their own soccer only stadium while the olympic stadium in Munich is rotting away and hasn't been used for T&F for many years. It's the same with many of the biggest team in Europe, they have their own arenas, they have professional marketing teams and they have perfectly planned competitions.
What i am trying to say: Soccer has been developed into the success it is today over many years, T&F hasn't progressed at all.

That is true I took it somewhat of thin air, and I know nothing about German Football. But the English league is a whole different thing.
Okay, here are some figures...

Top Ten: Shirt Sponsorship Deals:

1. Barcelona - £25m-a-year (Qatar Foundation)

2. Bayern Munich - £23.6m-a-year (Deutche Telekom)

3. Manchester United - £20m-a-year (Aon)

3. Liverpool - £20m-a-year (Standard Chartered)

3. Manchester City - £20m-a-year (Etihad Airways)

3. Sunderland - £20m-a-year (Invest in Africa)

7. Real Madrid - £16.8m-a-year (Bwin)

8. Chelsea - £13.8m-a-year (Samsung)

9. Tottenham Hotspur - £10m-a-year (Autonomy & Investec)

9. AC Milan - £10m-a-year (Emirates)

9. Newcastle United - £10m-a-year (Virgin Money)

True, none are in the third division, but Sunderland is headed towards to the second division for next season and still make 30 million dollars a year. 6 times Samsung's sponsorship.

That is some serious money and it is only the shirt sponsors.

Sure people go to meets, but where are the European athletes? (We will keep it to the men.) All playing football where the money is. 30 years ago? Footballers weren't making anywhere the money they make now.

And what does Bayern Munich having their own stadium have to do with it? They are a team sport and have oodles of games each year. What should the Gatesheads Harriers, for example, have been doing? Buy they own stadium?

And to say European football has progressed is like saying Warren Buffett has made some money. It has exploded over there in the last 30 years. And it is not a coincidence that track has gone down there. After all there really is a finite supply of top athletes.
Conor Dary

Postby norunner » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:59 pm

Conor Dary wrote:
norunner wrote: And what does Bayern Munich having their own stadium have to do with it? They are a team sport and have oodles of games each year. What should the Gatesheads Harriers, for example, have been doing? Buy they own stadium?
It is very important because every time a soccer teams builds an arena it means a T&F arena gets abandoned. Do you remember the european championships in Munich in 2002? Munich will never again host T&F championships because the olympic stadium got abandoned after Bayern Munich moved into their own arena.
norunner

Next