Mary Cain vs America's Elite at Drake [4:10.77 HSR]

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Mary Cain vs America's Elite at Drake [4:10.77 HSR]

Postby aaronk » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:31 pm

There are several Mary Cain threads already started, but this story......this RACE......deserves a separate thread.....so here it is!
It's been announced that 11th grade HS student, and holder of FOUR HSR's on indoor tracks (although she broke SIX records, as two of them were her's already!!), as well as the 1500 HSR outdoors, is going to face Morgan Uceny, Jenny Simpson, and Shannon Rowbury over 1500 meters at the Drake Relays in late April.

I don't know if she'll appear anywhere else before that....perhaps as a tune-up sort of race......but I doubt Alberto Salazar would be putting her up against America's true elite milers unless he thought she could....and will....hold her own!!

Is he putting her in there just for the experience??
To lose by 3 to 5 seconds (or more)....for the experience??
To break her own HSR of 4:11.01....and place 4th (or worse).....like she did at the WJC's??

I don't know.
I would hope it's because he (and Mary) believe she's ready to really mix it up.....and perhaps WIN....against America's Big Three of Female Mile Running!!

This is IT!!
This is the showdown we've been waiting for.

She wasn't seriously expected to contest Tirunesh Dibaba in that Boston indoor 2 mile.
Hell, she wasn't even expected to WIN anything during indoors!!
Just to get "experience" (sic!) racing against mid-tier milers (Bowman, Sifuentes, Reid, Moser et al), and learn race strategy!!

(Running a 2:55 first 880 in a championship mile is STRATEGY????? :shock: )

Anyway, while I would have preferred to see her first race be a 2 mile (full distance!!), or a 5000, I'm very excited she'll be running against the BIG GIRLS!!!

Because Mary Cain was the BIGGEST GIRL.....at least as far as popularity went....during this last indoor season!!

I just hope the race is FAST!! 4:05....or faster!!
And let the best woman win!!
aaronk

Re: Mary Cain vs America's Elite at Drake

Postby doug5321 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:41 pm

IF
cain gan run 4:05.50 or faster that would be the A standard, last year 4 american women had the A standard in the 1500, uceny, rowbury, simpson and g. anderson, so if cain gets the A she has a very good shot at the world 1500 team, remember the USA will have 4 women in the 1500, jenny simpson is automatic and the next 3.

also the world youth trials are the week AFTER the moscow worlds trials, so cain can do both world youth and worlds this year.
doug5321

Postby aaronk » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:54 pm

While listening to Neil Diamond's "Home Before Dark" CD (the one with 2 bonus songs on it!), I thought about Cain's Drake race.
(Good album....but his "12 Songs" from 2005 is better, IMO!! :) )

Leaving Simpson out of it for now (She has a pass!!), I doubt Uceny or Rowbury would be racing Drake just for the exercise.
They need to run the "A" standard!!
And that all 3 "biggies" are going to be there tells me they're going to make a serious attempt at 4:05.50 or faster.
And I doubt they'll want to cut it too close.
Thus, I expect theyll be shooting for a sub-4:04 time....perhaps closer to 4:00....just to make sure they get it!!

IF....IF that's to be, then I'd look for a pace of 64, 66 or 67 (2:10 or 2:11), another 66 or 67 (3:16 or 3:17), then whatever they can do over the last 300 meters.
If they're running close to 60 or 61 last 400, that would bring them home in about 4:01 or 4:02.

Can Cain handle such a pace from the gun?
I'd say she can definitely handle the 2:10.....and maybe the 3:16......but I'm not certain she could kick a 60 (or faster!!) after such a pace!!

In her 4:11 from 2012, I believe she reached 1100 at around 3:07 or 3:08.
In the race scenario I suggested above, they'd reach 1100 at around 3:00 or 3:01.

But she DID run a 58.6 final 400 at USATF (off a 4:07 at 1209 meters!!), and her final 600 was about 1:31.5.
aaronk

Postby aaronk » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:28 am

I suggested a fast "A standard" race scenario above.
Here's another possibility.

Say Uceny and Rowbury both decide to try for the "A" at a later date---say, Stanford in May, NY or Pre DL's---and use Drake to "shake off the cobwebs".
Cain of course wouldn't have to do that, as she raced frequently---and fast...indoors!!

So, say the race instead goes something like this:

66-67 first lap.
2:14 to 2:16 first 800.
3:22 to 3:24 through 1200, but they pass 1100 at about 3:05 to 3:07.

Cain could stick with that kind of pace fairly easily.
She ran an indoor 2:47.29 1000 in 2012.

So, say Uceny takes off for a long sprint, and hits 1300 at around 3:36 or 3:37.
Cain stays close, and shoots ahead with a final 200 of 28.5, winning in 4:05.5.....just barely making the "A".
Uceny just misses, running 4:06.8, following by Rowbury in 4:07.5, and Simpson in 4:07.7.

In other words, if they run tactically, they give the race to Cain.
If they gun it from the gun (sic!), Cain might lose, but she'll be close, and also get her "A"!!

A third scenario, of course, is it's rainy and windy and everybody's feeling sick, and they run 4:12 to 4:15.....with sub-60 closers by all of them!!
aaronk

Postby lionelp1 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:13 am

Aaronk you are mostly talking to yourself. MC is not quite ready for a couple of weeks to set a new WR of say 3.50 ish :lol:
I dont think it would be fair to say you are obsessed with this young female athlete. :roll:
lionelp1

Postby Master Po » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:40 am

I guess the lineup in this race is primarily the result of the narrow qualifying window for WC. I'm sure by later in the season as things play out I will have plenty of complaints about the qualifying period, but one of the results of it right now is that several of USA's top women 1500/mile runners are set to compete against each other at Drake. That's a good thing, imo. We often bemoan regarding various parts of our sport that there is not enough head-to-head competition among top athletes, on an international or sometimes even a national level. So here is one potentially very good race among top performers in a reasonably strong event in the USA. I am looking forward to it. Curious to see who else will be in the field. With these four in it, it will be a good opportunity to pursue the "A" (and "B") standard, which pretty much everyone interested in contesting this event needs. I hope they set it up well (e.g., with someone to take the pace out well in first 800), and I really, really hope the weather is good.
Master Po

Postby aaronk » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 am

lionelp1 wrote:Aaronk you are mostly talking to yourself. MC is not quite ready for a couple of weeks to set a new WR of say 3.50 ish :lol:
I dont think it would be fair to say you are obsessed with this young female athlete. :roll:

Yeah, I probably AM talking to myself!
And I've been accused before of "obsession"....and worse, re my interest in Cain.
WHY am I so enthralled by her??
Simple.

She's the greatest female HS runner (American) of all time!!
Second, she's made a VERY rapid progression since her freshman year in 2011.
(4:17.84 to 4:11.01. 4:40+ to 4:28.25.)
She's WON two races against some fair second-tier professional runners!!
Third, it's more common for a young runner....male or female.....to NOT progress rapidly after the first year or two of fast times.
Prime example, Jordan Hasay. She actually ran SLOWER in her senior year than in her junior year..
Finally, no female high school runner....and maybe no female open runner has a kick like Cain's!!

And how many HS runners, male or female, have been INVITED to race against America's, and even the WORLD'S, elite (Dibaba!!)??
Very few!!
And the only one in the past 15 years who's had any kind of success at it is Alan Webb!!

Obsessed??
Nope!!
Just thrilled to be alive during the beginning of the career of the greatest HS female runner EVER!!

P.S. I'm not the only one who feels Cain is capable of meeting the "A" standard in the 1500 this year!! And I doubt Uceny and Co. are going to take beating "Little Mary" Cain for granted!!
aaronk

Postby aaronk » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:09 am

Master Po wrote:I guess the lineup in this race is primarily the result of the narrow qualifying window for WC. I'm sure by later in the season as things play out I will have plenty of complaints about the qualifying period, but one of the results of it right now is that several of USA's top women 1500/mile runners are set to compete against each other at Drake. That's a good thing, imo. We often bemoan regarding various parts of our sport that there is not enough head-to-head competition among top athletes, on an international or sometimes even a national level. So here is one potentially very good race among top performers in a reasonably strong event in the USA. I am looking forward to it. Curious to see who else will be in the field. With these four in it, it will be a good opportunity to pursue the "A" (and "B") standard, which pretty much everyone interested in contesting this event needs. I hope they set it up well (e.g., with someone to take the pace out well in first 800), and I really, really hope the weather is good.

While this thread is about Cain and the Drake 1500, other events are LOADED too!!
Have you read the front page article yet??

Harper, Wells, and Jones, as well as Carruthers, Q Harrison, Porter, and Castlin in the 100H.
Whiting, Hoffa, and Cantwell in the SP.
A Merritt (!!) Richardson, and Porter in the 110H.
Santos and Wariner in the 400.
Tinsley, Culson, and Dutch in the 400H.
Some hot relays!!

Like you said, let's hope for good weather!!
aaronk

Postby odelltrclan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:50 am

Aaronk sometimes your enthusiasm belies your smarts. Mary's good indoor results will have been two months prior and she was peaking. It was back to basics for a peak that they hope will be a little bit later outdoors. This will probably be a bit of a rust buster for her as well. It is exciting to see her mix it up with some of the country's best. Just lay off the time expectations!

I foresee a day when Mary wins against some elite runners only to be chided by Aaronk because you were not satisfied by the time and think she is "dogging it"!
odelltrclan

Postby aaronk » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:30 am

odelltrclan wrote:Aaronk sometimes your enthusiasm belies your smarts. Mary's good indoor results will have been two months prior and she was peaking. It was back to basics for a peak that they hope will be a little bit later outdoors. This will probably be a bit of a rust buster for her as well. It is exciting to see her mix it up with some of the country's best. Just lay off the time expectations!

I foresee a day when Mary wins against some elite runners only to be chided by Aaronk because you were not satisfied by the time and think she is "dogging it"!

True that, about Drake being sort of a "second season" for Cain.

The question still remains, however, what Uceny and Co are planning.
Will it be a "rust buster" for them too? After all, for them, this is their FIRST 2013 season, as they didn't run indoors at all.

And what will Cain do?
IF they go for the "A" (meaning Uceny and Rowbury), should Cain try for it too?
Or will Salazar have her hang back, get in a good time (maybe 4:08 to 4:10), and prepare herself for a later "A" attempt....maybe at NY or Pre??

If she goes with the "stars", then I feel she WILL get a sub-4:05!!
If she doesn't, she might get her sub-4:10, but not by much!!

The pace, and Salazar's instructions, will determine her time!!

As for your last remark, that's true too!!
I don't care WHO is running......world elite or HS kid.....if you JOG the first 1000 of a 1500, you're not racing, you're.....JOGGING!!
That first 880 at USATF (2:55!!) was a frigging JOKE!!!
aaronk

Postby aaronk » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:15 am

Just realized that Drake and Penn are on the same weekend!
This almost certainly means Cain will NOT defend her HS mile win from last year, when she ran 4:39.28 with a 62.5 last lap, setting a Penn record!

I wonder if Wesley Frazier, Erin Finn, or one of the "other" high school star milers, will take a crack at Cain's record.....while she's busy taking on Uceny, Simpson, and Rowbury at Drake!!

Be interesting to see if anyone DOES break her record!!
aaronk

Postby odelltrclan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:35 am

Personally, I seriously doubt any attempts at "A" Standard at Drake or Penn for distance / middle distance athletes. Unpredictable weather, early season. They want to approach a peak (which may be required for many to get the A) when it counts and that is not until June. This is a rust buster for sure. Something probably to gauge where they are at for training.
odelltrclan

Postby az2004 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:32 am

the fields for the Thursday mile or 3k are not yet announced, but I know the guy responsible for seeding both events

id see frazier more in the 3k at penn than the mile

cain getting serious racing at des moines is good for her

I put my money on salazer doing the right thing
az2004

Postby Dutra5 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:54 am

Drake typically doesn't go fast enough for a qualifier. Rowbury is typically a slow starter anyway so if Cain beat her I wouldn't be shocked if the race is in the 4:08 area. Uceny may be a different story.
Dutra5

Postby az2004 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:36 am

Tried to send top mile entrants- no idea if it worked. Still think you should go to Moscow by boat if you can't fly. Official acceptance list for individuals high school events for Penn Relays will go up sometime on Monday on the Penn Relay site. Some of the ones on the list I tried to send you may opt for 3000 or dm- only a few in that catagory this year.

this is my source in charge of seeding mile and 3k at penn

check their official website pennpennrelYS.com

http://news.pennrelaysonline.com/regist ... EM_ID=1720

I WOULD not worry about what cain runs in des moines

it is prep I think for later races. there reference to me going to Moscow is about some medical problems I am currently facinfing my heart is beating oddly, and I need shock therapy to get it back into rhythm

here's some info on the heart shock I will be getting..

http://www.healthcentral.com/heart-dise ... /dangerous
az2004

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:22 am

odelltrclan wrote:Personally, I seriously doubt any attempts at "A" Standard at Drake or Penn for distance / middle distance athletes. Unpredictable weather, early season. They want to approach a peak (which may be required for many to get the A) when it counts and that is not until June. This is a rust buster for sure. Something probably to gauge where they are at for training.

Trying to prep for the Stanford meet, where the weather is more reliable and the smaller crowd is distance oriented.
26mi235

Postby aaronk » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:56 am

aaronk wrote:
Master Po wrote:I guess the lineup in this race is primarily the result of the narrow qualifying window for WC. I'm sure by later in the season as things play out I will have plenty of complaints about the qualifying period, but one of the results of it right now is that several of USA's top women 1500/mile runners are set to compete against each other at Drake. That's a good thing, imo. We often bemoan regarding various parts of our sport that there is not enough head-to-head competition among top athletes, on an international or sometimes even a national level. So here is one potentially very good race among top performers in a reasonably strong event in the USA. I am looking forward to it. Curious to see who else will be in the field. With these four in it, it will be a good opportunity to pursue the "A" (and "B") standard, which pretty much everyone interested in contesting this event needs. I hope they set it up well (e.g., with someone to take the pace out well in first 800), and I really, really hope the weather is good.

While this thread is about Cain and the Drake 1500, other events are LOADED too!!
Have you read the front page article yet??

Harper, Wells, and Jones, as well as Carruthers, Q Harrison, Porter, and Castlin in the 100H.
Whiting, Hoffa, and Cantwell in the SP.
A Merritt (!!) Richardson, and Porter in the 110H.
Santos and Wariner in the 400.
Tinsley, Culson, and Dutch in the 400H.
Some hot relays!!

Like you said, let's hope for good weather!!

This meet is getting better and better!
Besides the above entrants, add:

Felix Sanchez
Renaud Lavillennie
Jenn Suhr
Britney Reese

As for this being a "rust buster", then they'll be GIVING the race to Cain's superior kick!!

THIRD victory of 2013??

BTW, I remember Steve Prefontaine saying, after he'd run an outdoor season opening 3:56 or 3:57 mile (fast in those days!!)....."I needed that to burn out the tubes"!!

I guess "rust busting" and "burning out the tubes" are one and the same!! :D
aaronk

Postby JumboElliott » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:30 am

Can we pump the brakes on the INSANE expectations/prognostication for Mary Cain?
JumboElliott

Postby aaronk » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:03 am

JumboElliott wrote:Can we pump the brakes on the INSANE expectations/prognostication for Mary Cain?

"INSANE"??
Guess we'll have to wait and see.

As for the REST of the meet, this is beginning to sound like one of the BEST fields in the USA.....short of DL's or Championship meets.

And I'm talking about the WHOLE field, not just the women's 1500!

ADD: About your "INSANE" remark:

This is from an article on the Armory Track website by Brett Hoover.
The article is about ALL the Armory HS'ers who will be stepping up their racing soon, including Cain at Drake.

"It is almost unbelievable to think about, but if the weather in Des Moines cooperates with that race, Cain could be looking to put the WC "A" qualifying standard behind her. She'd need to run 4:05.50, but she was about six seconds behind that with an enroute time at the Millrose Games at the Armory. We no longer doubt anything."

Is Brett Hoover "INSANE" also??
aaronk

Postby exdrake » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:29 pm

A Drake relays match-up memory lane moment:

My first two years at Drake the big match-up was Boit vs. Wohlhuter @ 800m........

Winner? Randy Wilson both times I believe in 1:45.
exdrake

Postby exdrake » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:32 pm

Moare bad news Aaronk--Samsung pulled the plug on Neil Diamond too.
exdrake

Postby 18.99s » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:05 am

Aaronk wants to marry Mary Cain.
18.99s

Postby aaronk » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:10 am

18.99s wrote:Aaronk wants to marry Mary Cain.

Now THAT is INSANE......and pretty damn SICK!!!

I am a FAN.......nothing more, nothing less!!
aaronk

Postby runforlife » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:09 pm

exdrake wrote:A Drake relays match-up memory lane moment:
Winner? Randy Wilson both times I believe in 1:45.

An Iowa legend. Yes, those were great races.
runforlife

Postby aaronk » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:46 pm

Just bought the May issue of T&FN.
Wonderful photo of Cain winning USATF!!
I expect this was only the first of many such photos.....of her winning races at the top levels.
(And/or of her posing by the board saying which record she just set!)

Speaking of the latter, I thank Letter to the Editor writer Geza Feld of Farmingdale NY, who wrote (in the May issue):

"Let all the middle-and-long-distance records tremble."
aaronk

Postby aaronk » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:57 pm

Just watched two videos of Mary Cain races.
One was a different YouTube from the "official" one of her 2 mile race, the one with Hutchings announcing.
This one was a jumpy 7:50-long one by a person in the stands near the finish line.

The other was of Cain's frosh class record of 4:17.84 from 2011.

And I noticed two things I hadn't noticed before.....or at least hadn't focused on.

1. In her 4:17.84 race, she LED all the way!! She was NEVER in 2nd place!! This "tactic" has NOT been in evidence since then!
2. In the 2 mile, the camera showed Dibaba running the straight past the finish line, from about the 1200 meter point onward (with a little bit of the start of the race), followed by "the pack", which included Cain. As each (200 meter) lap progressed, the announcer got more and more excited about how much Cain was ahead of record pace. But what most struck me was the EASE and the POWER of Cain's stride. She looks like she's just loping along, but she's matching strides with some pretty good pro's, and in fact moving up a place or two almost every lap!!

After watching these two videos, I came to a couple of conclusions.....though I've felt this way before.

1. If Cain's purpose in running the 1500 at Drake is to get the "A" out of the way early, then she'll go for it, whether the Uceny's, Simpson's, and Rowbury's are doing so or not. And, based on that 4:17.84, she is able to FRONT-RUN the whole way, if necessary!! Like I said, she didn't run this strategy in her 6 records this year!!
2. While the caliber of athlete is moving up a few notches at Drake (from her indoor races), she looks to have the relaxed, yet powerful stride necessary to stay with these "elites".

If she wants the 4:05.50, she's GOING to get it!!
aaronk

Postby 26mi235 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:02 pm

aaronk wrote:
1. In her 4:17.84 race, she LED all the way!! She was NEVER in 2nd place!! This "tactic" has NOT been in evidence since then!

When she is running with high school girls her place in the pack (or ahead of it) will generally be different than when she is running with national-class (and world-class) runners.
26mi235

Postby aaronk » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:16 pm

26mi235 wrote:
aaronk wrote:

When she is running with high school girls her place in the pack (or ahead of it) will generally be different than when she is running with national-class (and world-class) runners.

True.
But this was the first HSR she set.
And her main opponent was one Aisling Cuffe, not exactly your average HS runner then!
So front-running the whole way was pretty daring for her!!

My point was.....that if the "elites" choose to just run 4:08 to 4:10....kind of a speed test after a winter's training....and Cain and Salazar have this planned as an "A" chaser.....she will...and CAN....front-run the entire way!!
She proved that....against top-notch HS competition....and in a first-ever record attempt....in that frosh race!

ADD: We should know BEFORE the race what everybody intends to do. I'm guessing Uceny and Co.....and Salazar/Cain will both come out with some sort of pronouncment prior to the race!
aaronk

Postby EPelle » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:55 pm

Unless she's competed under a guise, Cain hasn't yet lined up this outdoor season. Which concludes that Cain's also rust-busting. If she's front-running in what amounts to a 4.08-ish race, a more experienced contestant with 2.00-low/4.00-low PBs will take the opportunity to file in, sit and trounce when it counts.
EPelle

Mary Cain ?

Postby puddys12 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:14 am

Have not seen anything about Mary Cain in the outdoor season yet . Is she not competing and if she is when ?
puddys12

Re: Mary Cain ?

Postby Blues » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:52 am

puddys12 wrote:Have not seen anything about Mary Cain in the outdoor season yet . Is she not competing and if she is when ?

She's running the 1500m at the Drake Relays against some elite pro competition on Friday night, April 26th. Scheduled time at Drake is 7:20pm. (For the gamblers in here, the current over/under on how many exclamation points aaronk will use in this thread is 55... :wink: )

Tentative start list for Drake women's 1500:

Mary Cain
Emma Coburn
Shannon Rowbury
Maryam Jamal
Jennifer Simpson
Heather Kampf
Morgan Uceny
Sarah Bowman Brown
Christin Wurth Thomas
Gabrielle Anderson
Kate Grace
Ashley Miller

http://www.godrakebulldogs.com/pdf9/1845488.pdf
Blues

Postby James Fields » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:37 am

Miss Cain should be advised that against those Drake competitors she should not run much of the race in second lane [extra distance] as she did back east in her great indoor race.
James Fields

Postby puddys12 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:57 am

She did 4:11.01 last year in the 1500. How much to you think she will beat that by ?
puddys12

Postby br » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:12 am

puddys12, have you not been following aaronk's posts about Cain's potential? He has pretty much covered that topic in stifling detail.
br

Postby aaronk » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:13 am

There is already a thread on this race.
I started it as soon as I heard she'd be racing the "true elites".
It's probably on the 2nd or 3rd page of thread titles.

And look, NO exclamation points. :D
aaronk

Postby aaronk » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:37 am

Saw (in a new Cain thread) that Maryam Jamal is running that 1500.
Whoa!!
Unless Jamal, a 3:56 runner, has traveled all the way from Bahrain just to run a "rust-buster", then this race looks to definitely be an "A" chaser!
I mean, she could run a "rust-buster" in her home nation.

And if Cain should win.......
aaronk

Postby Helen S » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:58 am

There is already a thread on this race.
I started it as soon as I heard she'd be racing the "true elites".
It's probably on the 2nd or 3rd page of thread titles.

And look, NO exclamation points.

and I say " !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!."
Helen S

Postby br » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:21 am

aaronk wrote:Saw (in a new Cain thread) that Maryam Jamal is running that 1500.
Whoa!!
Unless Jamal, a 3:56 runner, has traveled all the way from Bahrain just to run a "rust-buster", then this race looks to definitely be an "A" chaser!
I mean, she could run a "rust-buster" in her home nation.

And if Cain should win.......

She is headquartered in Europe (St. Moritz?). She neither lives nor trains in Bahrain.
br

Postby EPelle » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:23 am

Any athlete in the field whose not raced this outdoor season is shaking off the rust. Cain included.

NB: Jamal hasn't run this season, hasn't been in 3.56 shape since 2009, and hasn't broken 4-flat since 2010.
EPelle

Postby aaronk » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:53 am

EPelle wrote:Any athlete in the field whose not raced this outdoor season is shaking off the rust. Cain included.

NB: Jamal hasn't run this season, and hasn't been in 3.56 shape since 2009, and hasn't broken 4-flat since 2010.

Okay.
But why, if it's just a "rust buster" for Jamal, would she....
1. Come from St Moritz (??) or wherever to run a relatively slow race?
2. Go up against the likes of Uceny and Simpson, when she could have as easily entered the Mt SAC or Penn or Kansas races, and come away an easy winner?

Finally, in a slow "rust busting" type of race, the kickers will have the advantage.

And that places Cain on a very even, if not superior, level with the rest of the entrants....including a "rust busting", and sub-par Jamal!

And what will Salazar's instructions be?
Or Mary's intentions?
If it's to get an "A", then Goodbye Rust!!
aaronk

Next