a great baseball moment

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

a great baseball moment

Postby gh » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:21 am

Not a Dodger fan, but they staged a bit of theater for the ages yesterday.

Magic Johnson comes out to throw the opening day first pitch, but before he can deliver, Mattingly heads out to the mound and signals to the bullpen for a lefty..... in comes Sandy Koufax. If you're of an age, that would send major chills down your spine.
gh

Re: a great baseball moment

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:29 am

gh wrote:Not a Dodger fan, but they staged a bit of theater for the ages yesterday.

Magic Johnson comes out to throw the opening day first pitch, but before he can deliver, Mattingly heads out to the mound and signals to the bullpen for a lefty..... in comes Sandy Koufax. If you're of an age, that would send major chills down your spine.

Wow, that is great. And so clever too. I wonder who came up with the idea. Koufax and Fergie Jenkins are my all time top 2 favorite pitchers. I remember watching, on WGN, Koufax pitching a perfect game against the Cubs in 1965.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby gh » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:31 am

if this doesn't bring tears to your eyes....

http://deadspin.com/sandy-koufax-reliev ... -464891110
gh

Postby Marlow » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:42 am

gh wrote:if this doesn't bring tears to your eyes....
http://deadspin.com/sandy-koufax-reliev ... -464891110

It did . . .
Marlow

Postby no one » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:39 am

I was fortunate to see Koufax pitch in the pre-renovated Coloseum in '61 ... one of his sorta kinda breakthru years. (and prior to Chavez Ravine) what a thrill
no one

Postby dukehjsteve » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:54 pm

no one wrote:I was fortunate to see Koufax pitch in the pre-renovated Coloseum in '61 ... one of his sorta kinda breakthru years. (and prior to Chavez Ravine) what a thrill

Back in Brooklyn, pre-1958, he was a "bonus baby", and was as wild as a March hare. But once he learned where the plate was.....
dukehjsteve

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:32 pm

I think that Koufax is the only professional (team) athlete whose autograph I would want to have. I started watching ball in 1959, a year after the Dodgers moved to LA (finishing next to last that year). They ended up winning the World Series and then Koufax got consistently good and they had a great run. My interest started to wane when he retired.

One anecdote from his retirement years: He played golf reasonably well and a golf pro offered that if he could straighten his left arm he could really hit the ball well. His response was that "...if I could straighten my left arm I would still be pitching."

Since I was in LA, I listened to his perfect game on the radio; I think that a lot of broadcasters could learn a lot by listening to Vin Scully announcing that game and observe what he did after his last pitch (a strikeout) -- he just turned the mike so that the crowd was heard (almost 40 seconds). [You can get the audio on the web, such as here...; one source has "Generally regarded as one of the finest stretches of play-by-play announcing ever."]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJdli-ONL-8 Also, that game lasted less than 1:46, since it would have started after 8:00pm and ended at 9:46
26mi235

Postby no one » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:44 pm

Vin Scully and Chick Hearn - two of the finest broadcasters in hx of sport - they could paint a picture on anyone's transistor radio!.

The Dodgers went from top of the heap to also ran/ middle of the pack status the year after Koufax retired. They were of course dominant force while he was 'the man'. I relished the Koufax - Marichal showdowns ad well as Koufax - Gibson.

and Muary Wills, Wally Moon, the Duke, and Davis Bros - and and and
no one

Postby Marlow » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:38 pm

1966. I was 15 and in the fullest bloom of my baseball infatuation. My favorite team, the Dodgers. The rotation? Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale, Claude Osteen, Don Sutton. Nuff said.
Marlow

Postby gh » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:02 am

no one wrote:.... I relished the Koufax - Marichal showdowns...

I bet it will shock you to learn that the total number of those showdowns was.... 3 (three)!
gh

Postby br » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:09 am

gh wrote:
no one wrote:.... I relished the Koufax - Marichal showdowns...

I bet it will shock you to learn that the total number of those showdowns was.... 3 (three)!

John Roseboro surely remembered.
br

Postby no one » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:56 am

I do remember it being a miniscule number ... Too few for my appetite. Three, however is a shock. I also remember the LA times posting all pitching and batting stats in every Sunday edition. I used to memorize almost all. I had a friend who was the dodger batboy for about ten years ... During the early 60s thru his early college yrs. It did have its perks.
no one

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:51 pm

Marlow wrote:1966. I was 15 and in the fullest bloom of my baseball infatuation. My favorite team, the Dodgers. The rotation? Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale, Claude Osteen, Don Sutton. Nuff said.

Around that time Osteen had a 20-loss season. A key reason for losing 20 games -- the Dodgers scored a total of 18 runs in those 20 games.
26mi235

Postby gh » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:10 pm

no one wrote:I do remember it being a miniscule number ... Too few for my appetite. Three, however is a shock....

I only knew to look it up because the SF paper noted last year that (without looking up the exact stats) that Lincecum went against Kershaw more times last year alone than Marichal ever did against Koufax.

I googled the second question, by the way, and Koufax/Gibson was 6 times.

damn! do I love google or what?!
gh

Postby br » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:25 am

I'm a life long Dodgers fan and an even bigger Koufax fan. His perfect game versus the Cubs in 1965 was epic. The Dodgers won 1-0, but the winning run was unearned against opposing pitcher, Bob Hendley. They combined for the fewest number of base runners for a 9 inning games.

From Wikipedia: "The game was also notable for the high quality of the performance by the opposing pitcher, Bob Hendley of the Cubs. Hendley pitched a one-hitter and allowed only two batters to reach base. Both pitchers had no-hitters intact until the seventh inning. The only run that the Dodgers scored was unearned. The game holds the record for fewest base runners (both teams), with two; the next lowest total is four." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Kouf ... rfect_game

However, there was a game two years earlier that pitted the Braves Warren Spahn against the Giants Juan Marichal, which may have been the greatest pitching duel ever.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... index.html
br

Postby bijanc » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:05 pm

Yes, my colleague Jim Kaplan, ex- of S.I., wrote that book about Marichal-Spahn.
bijanc

Postby Bob Duncan » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:41 pm

Yes, it gave me chills too! Great drama, but it brought back the fear.

I'm still not over what Koufax did to the Yankees in 1963 as the Dodgers won the World Series in 4 straight, with Koufax winning the first and last games. My mom let me stay home "sick" from school for the opening game so that I could watch the duel against Whitey Ford. Top of the first, Ford struck out 2/3 Dodgers. Bottom of the first, Koufax struck out the side. Bottom of the second, he struck out the first two batters.

Well, at least Mantle got an HR off of him in the last game. But it was a humiliating time for me, as so many people hated the Yankees and loved to watch them suffer. Drysdale and Podres pitched the other two games and performed well.
Bob Duncan