Mavs Owner Considers Drafting Lady Player

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Mavs Owner Considers Drafting Lady Player

Postby bijanc » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:40 am

Recalls a time when Serena Williams said she could defeat the #25 ranked male tennis pro in match (not).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1590938-could-mark-cuban-make-brittney-griner-a-dallas-maverick?hpt=hp_t4

Griner wouldn't play well vs. NBA power forwards and other bigs. Heck, even tall young men, a la Kevin Garnett, Kwame Brown, Jonathan Bender, and Al Harrington, struggled in their first efforts vs. adults.
bijanc

Re: Mavs Owner Considers Drafting Lady Player

Postby Pego » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:58 am

Lady, you said?
Pego

Postby bijanc » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:02 pm

Ahem, woman. And don't start any Semenya analogies.
bijanc

Postby Dutra5 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:06 pm

bijanc wrote:Ahem, woman. And don't start any Semenya analogies.

I think some of the debate with Semenya can be applied.
Dutra5

Postby bijanc » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:09 pm

Not really. Griner only has the deep vocal pipes. Not even excessively muscular.
bijanc

Postby Pego » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:19 pm

bijanc wrote:Ahem, woman. And don't start any Semenya analogies.

Yes, I will shut up. Unlike Semenya, there is no available data that I would be familiar with.
Pego

Postby mcgato » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:33 pm

Cuban is one to grab at any publicity stunt that is out there. Griner would be eaten up in the NBA. She would be dominated by a good HS boy's team. Louisville beat Baylor, in part, by being very physical with her. Of course, shooting over 60% from 3 really helped.
mcgato

Postby lonewolf » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:01 pm

There is no place in the NBA for Ms Griner.
lonewolf

Postby Master Po » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:02 pm

Mark Cuban's zillions of $$ permit him to think such thoughts in public, I guess.

As for Ms. Griner, who is an actual basketball player, I'm confident she is not a fool about such things. She's no doubt fully aware of the fact that, even though she is the same listed height as LeBron James, she is 50 pounds lighter, and bears no relationship to him -- or to any obscure 6'8" guy riding an NBA bench -- in terms of the needed ability in the NBA to do some basic basketball things, such as accelerate quickly, run fast, and jump very high. For instance, one does not find it remarkable in the NBA that a 6'8" guy can dunk. Griner's dunks, however, are news. The NBA game is often described in "above the rim" terms. Griner's game -- as great as it is -- is pretty much "below the rim." She's not in the same league...nor should she be. :)
Master Po

Postby odelltrclan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:40 am

Mr Cuban likes to draw attention to himself. The Mavericks are in decline, likely to miss the playoffs. What other way to get some attention?
odelltrclan

Postby batonless relay » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:47 am

Sadly, Cuban's publicity stunt does more to belittle Griner's abilities than it does to embellish them by highlighting the divergence between the mens and womens games. It's obvious to anyone, especially Cuban (he knows basketball), that Griner could NOT start for any D1 NCAA program (she wouldn't be a suitable alternative off of the bench, either). Not one. And that's the problem: when we start to make the comparisons it starts to become clear that Griner is NOT good in terms of the mens game. And, she should be celebrated for being dominant in the womens game.
batonless relay

Postby bijanc » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:01 am

Or as Rebecca Lobo said in her autobiography, one scrimmage vs. the U. Conn men, when 6'6", 300 Kirk King barely missed her jaw w/ an inadvertent elbow, convinced her of the vast diference between the two games. Gino prepares his girls by scrimmaging the men.
bijanc

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:37 pm

bijanc wrote:Not really. Griner only has the deep vocal pipes. Not even excessively muscular.

That's what I'm thinking too. Semenya looks and sounds like a man. Griner only sounds like a man.
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:03 pm

Master Po wrote:Mark Cuban's zillions of $$ permit him to think such thoughts in public, I guess.

As for Ms. Griner, who is an actual basketball player, I'm confident she is not a fool about such things. She's no doubt fully aware of the fact that, even though she is the same listed height as LeBron James, she is 50 pounds lighter, and bears no relationship to him -- or to any obscure 6'8" guy riding an NBA bench -- in terms of the needed ability in the NBA to do some basic basketball things, such as accelerate quickly, run fast, and jump very high. For instance, one does not find it remarkable in the NBA that a 6'8" guy can dunk. Griner's dunks, however, are news. The NBA game is often described in "above the rim" terms. Griner's game -- as great as it is -- is pretty much "below the rim." She's not in the same league...nor should she be. :)

Actually Griner is nearly 100 pounds lighter than James. As was noted on ESPN's SportsCenter, at 175 pounds, she's 3 pounds lighter than Steve Nash. Having said this, I pretty much agree with everything you've said, she's too light and weak to play in the front court and she's too slow and unskilled to play in the backcourt.

No woman basketball player in America thinks Griner has a chance, because all of them have played pick-up ball against men and they know better. Dana Taurasi said that when she was at Connecticut, she wouldn't have even been good enough to earn the final roster spot on the men's team just to sit on the bench. If Ann Meyers, a point guard whose game didn't rely size and strength, was unable to make it when she was drafted in 1979, a woman center has less than a zero chance of making it. But keep in mind that the Pacers signed Meyers to a guaranteed $50,000 contract at a time when there was only one player in the NBA (Moses Malon) making a million dollars. I think Cuban is just trolling but if he's not, he will sign Griner to a contract that matches Meyers' contract in dollars adjusted for inflation, or 1/20th the salary of today's highest paid player.

EDIT: Speaking of Griner, did anyone else see her get posterized by Louisville's Shoni Schimmel? It was the greatest play I've ever seen by a woman basketball player on any level. If more women had Schimmel's skills, I'd watch a lot more women's basketball. Here's a link to the video for those who missed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9wg0ZT3ZLc
jazzcyclist

Postby Master Po » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:38 pm

Thanks for the comments -- regarding Griner's weight differential w James, I looked up something (without knowing) that suggested she was ~200+ lbs and only about 50 lbs lighter than James, and I thought that couldn't be right -- but I posted it anyway -- you know, not being a track & field stat, I didn't take care... :) Appreciate your post.
Master Po

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:47 am

She has now come out as gay and with all due respect she doesnt seem gay at all to me, she looks like a man trapped in a women's body.
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby bijanc » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:50 am

Griner came out? Wow, Swoopes didn't do that until retirement (not that it matters to me).
bijanc

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:53 am

SQUACKEE wrote:She has now come out as gay and with all due respect she doesnt seem gay at all to me, she looks like a man trapped in a women's body.

How do gay people look? :?
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:01 am

bijanc wrote:Griner came out? Wow, Swoopes didn't do that until retirement (not that it matters to me).

But doesn't Swoopes claim to have been a heterosexual who got turned out, al la Billie Jean King? You may recall that King said she never had any interest in girls when she was younger, but developed an attraction for women after she got married.
jazzcyclist

Postby Pego » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:40 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
bijanc wrote:Griner came out? Wow, Swoopes didn't do that until retirement (not that it matters to me).

But doesn't Swoopes claim to have been a heterosexual who got turned out, al la Billie Jean King? You may recall that King said she never had any interest in girls when she was younger, but developed an attraction for women after she got married.

If I were Mr King, it might give me a sense of failure :wink: .
Pego

Postby bijanc » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:43 am

The Moffit-King situation is not that uncommon. Former "Seinfeld" writer Carol Leifer says much the same thing about a later attraction, as do some males towards men. Many dated or married the other gender.
bijanc

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:00 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:She has now come out as gay and with all due respect she doesnt seem gay at all to me, she looks like a man trapped in a women's body.

How do gay people look? :?

Being a good friend of gays, they all look beautiful to me but I hate P.C. Gays dont look a certain way, just like anyone else. I wish nothing but happiness for everyone. I am saying what everyone is thinking, including my wife.
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:01 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:Being a good friend of gays, they all look beautiful to me but I hate P.C. Gays dont look a certain way, just like anyone else. I wish nothing but happiness for everyone. I am saying what everyone is thinking, including my wife.

I'm not sure what you were trying to say, but the things that always made me suspect that a person might be gay had to do with how that person spoke, dressed and groomed themselves. And the speech part is strictly a male thing, because to me, lesbians sound the same as straight women when they speak. Of course many, if not most gays, don't tip me off at all, because they speak, dress and groom the same way heterosexuals do.
jazzcyclist

Postby Pego » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:45 am

jazzcyclist wrote:I'm not sure what you were trying to say

I think I know. SQUACKEE says, "nevermind gays, she looks like a man."
Pego

Postby Daisy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:19 am

Pego wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:I'm not sure what you were trying to say

I think I know. SQUACKEE says, "nevermind gays, she looks like a man."

Right, are you gay if your physiology is more in line with being male in the first place?
Daisy

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:31 pm

If you read what Griner actually said you will see that she did not really 'come out' in that interview. Rather, she said she was generally open to those around her and not particularly trying to hide anything. If you then reflect on what she said in the interview it not a statement "I am a lesbian" but just something that fit into the conversation.

As for getting schooled by the Louisville player, it seemed to me that as an over-sized center she did well going down with the fast break, especially to be able to catch back up to her and force a rather awkward and possibly slightly lucky conversion.
26mi235