Hate Throws? So Does USATF, Apparently

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Hate Throws? So Does USATF, Apparently

Postby bruce3404 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:39 am

A friend pointed out that the schedule has finally been released for the USATF Championships in Des Moines http://www.usatf.org/Events---Calendar/2013/USATFCS/Events/USA-Outdoor-Track---Field-Championships/Schedule.aspx. Many of us know that it's somewhat inconvenient to watch the DT, HT and JT since they are held on an adjacent field. I don't like it, but I can live with it. What I can't live with is that they've scheduled each and every final concurrent with running events inside the stadium. Is the goal to drive field events further into the background? The simple solution is to adjust the schedules.. Move the Jr events around if need be. No way should Jr events take precedence over Men's and Women's events. Whoever made up this bush league schedule should be ashamed; it's not too late to change it. Some suggestions:
Thursday: Move the WJT from 6:15PM to 11AM
Friday: Move MHT from 5PM to 1:30PM and move the Jr MHT from 1PM to 5PM. Move the MDT from 6:30PM to 11:00AM.
Saturday: Move the WHT from 3:20PM to 12:30PM and move the Jr WDT from 12:45PM to 3:20PM.
Sunday: Move the MJT from 2:00PM to 11:00AM and move the WDT from 2:20PM to Noon.

I've emailed Max.Siegel@usatf.org with my concerns. Perhaps if others do the same, something can be done about this travesty.
Last edited by bruce3404 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
bruce3404

Re: Hate Throws? So Does USATF, Apparently

Postby gh » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:14 am

this has been posted to our Twitter and Facebook feeds as well.
gh

Postby gh » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:02 pm

obviously, very few here are of the field & track persuasion.
gh

Postby donley2 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:26 pm

I am considering making the trip to Des Moines this year and I love the throws, but do we really think even 50 or 100 of us ( that is probably not likely) emailing Max is going to have any affect?
donley2

Postby gh » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:35 pm

not at all... but it would be nice to see a little outrage expressed here from even 1 or 2!
gh

Postby norunner » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:39 pm

Glad to see usatf is giving up on the throws, leaves more medals to us germans. :wink:
norunner

Postby bruce3404 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:13 pm

donley2 wrote:I am considering making the trip to Des Moines this year and I love the throws, but do we really think even 50 or 100 of us ( that is probably not likely) emailing Max is going to have any affect?

I'd like to think a successful grassroots campaign has some viability. If we sit idly by accepting the status quo, the status quo will have no reason to change and we'll have no right to complain when future meets have thoughtless scheduling. Speak up, folks.
bruce3404

Postby HopStepJump » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:58 pm

I didn't realize that the stadium cannot support the throws inside. Isn't this the main competition to Eugene for 2016? Two of the more memorable moments last year at the trials were Brooks and Borman getting their respective A's during the finals. It would've been a shame if they had happened outside the stadium in obscurity.
HopStepJump

Postby Daisy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:12 pm

gh wrote:not at all... but it would be nice to see a little outrage expressed here from even 1 or 2!

I'm outraged! ;)

But I guess I'm not surprised about how inadequate all these facilities are in the US. Did Eugene have all the field events on the infield? I thought they had the hammer outside the stadium?

As to the schedule, they have complete control over that. It's embarrassing for the T&F that the so-called leaders of the sport can be so blind as to let that schedule pass through the vetting process.
Daisy

Postby bruce3404 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:50 pm

Daisy wrote: Did Eugene have all the field events on the infield? I thought they had the hammer outside the stadium?

For the 2012 Trials the HT was held on the Nike Campus prior to the first day in Eugene. It was very well-attended and I think both the fans and throwers really enjoyed the festive, exclusive atmosphere. FYI, in Eugene the hammer area is adjacent to Hayward and involves only a couple minute walk from the stands. The last few years the WHT at the Pre was scheduled as the first meet event and scheduling was so that fans could witness the entire event without missing any others. I'll bet if Tom Jordan had been in charge of scheduling Des Moines, the long throwers wouldn't have been cast aside.
bruce3404

Postby leoesharkey » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:04 pm

It is ghastly for the throwers, and I have never been at a meet in Europe where the throws were not in the Stadium sigh :(
leoesharkey

Postby gh » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:08 pm

Cherry-picking, but you've never seen a hammer throw in the home of the IAAF, Monaco, right?

Slightly unique rationale, of course, given that that field is multiple stories up, on top of an office building, and they're paranoid that a hammer might go too deep and hit a car in the parking structure a floor below! ( no, really)
gh

Postby JumboElliott » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:59 pm

I enjoy watching the throws, but I think they would be more interesting if there were more competitive non-shot putters from the English speaking world.
JumboElliott

Postby CKuykendall » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:12 am

The 2012 NCAAs were held in Des Moines. The schedules, start lists, and results for the various events are still available on the Internet at flashresults.com webpages. The NCAA, except for the women's discus, didn't have any problem scheduling the throwing events held outside the stadium so as not to conflict with track events in the stadium. I don't see why the USATF should have such a problem.
CKuykendall

Postby Conor Dary » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:54 am

Daisy wrote:
gh wrote:not at all... but it would be nice to see a little outrage expressed here from even 1 or 2!

I'm outraged! ;)

But I guess I'm not surprised about how inadequate all these facilities are in the US. Did Eugene have all the field events on the infield? I thought they had the hammer outside the stadium?

They tried the hammer once in Hayward at the 1978 NCAA. I think it was the first throw that went right down the left line, banging into the fence next to the track, where I happened to be standing about 10 feet away at the time. And that was the end of hammer throwing in Hayward, moving it outside where they filmed the golf ball-horse scene in Animal House.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby leoesharkey » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:15 pm

"if there were more competitive non-shot putters from the English speaking world."

What a strange thing to say, the battle between the German, the Estonian, the Iranian and the Lithuanian in the Men's Discus at the Olympics was gripping with different styles, techniques, training regime, physiques and personalities. The fact they are from vastly different cultures makes it more interesting I think. 8-)
leoesharkey