Outdoor Outlook--High School

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Outdoor Outlook--High School

Postby aaronk » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:48 am

With the report that Annie Rhodes has already PR'd outdoors with her 13-11 and 1/2 PV last Thursday, 2013 looks to be a GREAT year in HS T&F!!
Here's a little preview of what to look for (or hope for??):

Boys

In the sprints, there were some surprises indoors, but will good 60's give us good 100's?
I don't see any records broken in the 100 or 200.
What will Michael Cherry run?? Can he go low-45's, or high 44's??
Not much backup there.
The 800 could be good, with 4 coming in at sub-1:50.
What distance(s) will Cheserek emphasize??
Could this be the first-ever year with TWO guys (or more!!) going sub-4:00??
Might start a trend!! :)
(BTW, I'm talking 1 MILE, not 1600 times!!)
It's mainly Cheserek in the distances too, all the way to 10K.
Been waiting for someone to break Jeff Hess's 1979 SC record of 8:50.1.
(Again, Ed has the wheels!!)
The hurdles don't look too strong this year, but surprise me, guys!!
HJ is weak.....VERY weak!!
LJ and TJ need some new blood!! Will someone break through??
Top indoor PV was 17-1.
Shawn Barber's new HSR appears safe!
The SP is all Braheme Days. 75 feet?? I doubt it, but maybe 72-73.
DT and JT are both weak.
Rudy Winkler might challenge the HT mark!!
A PR of 251-1, and he ended indoors with an 83-6 WT!
The Dec marks look safe.

Girls

The incoming MARKS don't look too hot, but there should be good competition with 3 or 4 very close in talent in the sprints.
Can Precious Holmes produce a sub-52 outdoors??
Can Kedecia Baird get the HSR??
In T&FN outdoor preview, Sabrina Southerland's name is nowhere to be seen!!!
That was BEFORE her 4:44.9 R leg and 2:03.59 burner!!
Can she move into Mary Cain territory...in the mile??
(She's already there in the 800!!)
The mid-and long distances are VERY strong for the girls!!
Cain, Southerland, the Meier girls, Erin Finn, Wesley Frazier, and Sarah Baxter.
And that's just a FEW of the names to watch!!
If they WANT them.....EVERY girl's HSR from 800 to 10000 can GO!!!!
It's Wallace, Hall, and K Williams in the 100H!!
12.95?? Who knows??
What events will Kendell Williams do....outside the Hept....where she's a definite threat to the 6000 barrier??
The LJ and TJ don't look too good, but surprise me HERE, ladies!!
The PV is GOOD, with Rhodes and Taylor, plus 3 others over 13-3 or better!!
Shock SP NB winner Magdalyn (Margaret? Maggie?) Ewen went 54-1 at NB.
Carter's outdoor record gone??
Can Ewen's SP improvement move her DT to record territory??
HT is weak!!
What will Haley Crouser do in her final pre-UO year??
aaronk

Re: Outdoor Outlook--High School

Postby Marlow » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:21 am

I absolutely 100% GUARANTEE you that there will some wild surprises. Some can't-miss blue chippers will 'disappoint' and some unknowns will have huge breakthroughs. As a card-carrying HS aficionado/cognoscenti, I share your enthusiasm, but I mostly just let it 'happen', as it's more fun that way. That said, yes, I'm anxious to see what some of the prodigies can do this year. I can't fathom how MCain can outdo her indoor campaign, so mostly I just want to see her stay healthy and enthused.
Marlow

Postby aaronk » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:53 am

Marlow wrote:I absolutely 100% GUARANTEE you that there will some wild surprises. Some can't-miss blue chippers will 'disappoint' and some unknowns will have huge breakthroughs. As a card-carrying HS aficionado/cognoscenti, I share your enthusiasm, but I mostly just let it 'happen', as it's more fun that way. That said, yes, I'm anxious to see what some of the prodigies can do this year. I can't fathom how MCain can outdo her indoor campaign, so mostly I just want to see her stay healthy and enthused.

I agree!
"Stars" get injured or whatnot, and some shocker hits the bell!!
(Ewen's SP at NB comes to mind!! And like I said, Southerland's name wasn't anywhere on T&FN's preview list!!)
As for Cain, if she's healthy, and she's entered in the right meets (and races), I see absolutely NO reason why she can't match....and even BEAT....her total of 6 indoor records broken!!
Let's look at her possibilities:
800......hard to beat, for ANYONE!!
1500/1 mile: the outdoor records are her own 4:11.01 and P Plumer's 4:35.24 (NOT counting any 1600 projections!!). With a 4:28.25, EXCELLENT chance to get both!!
3K/2 mile: Ditto!! The outdoor records are still 9:08.6 and 9:54.22!! Should be easy for her!!
5000: I'm of the opinion she can run well UNDER 15:30, beating Sisson's 15:48.91.
10000: Cain probably won't run this distance. But IF she did, 32:52.5 should be a piece of cake for her!!
SC: Won't run steeple. But again, IF she did, an easy mark to beat....for Cain!!!

Also, remember, her indoor total of 6,included the 1500/1 mile broken TWICE.....she broke her own record that she set the first go-round!!
Same could happen outdoors, thus adding to her total!!
aaronk

Postby aaronk » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:37 pm

As I noted in the 2013 outdoor results thread, we already have 2 good marks from HS girls.....the 16 ft leap for Valerie Allman...to 183-3 in the DT.....and the almost-soph class record for Sabrina Gaitan in the HT, with her 184-6.

But upcoming in less than 2 weeks is the Raleigh Relays.
I mention that because Wesley Frazier, the indoor HSR-holder in the 5K, said she'd be running the 2 mile there.
She won last year's race there with a 10:12 (legit 2 mile, not 3200 meters!!).
With her improvement this year, as shown by her NB double win (16:18 and 10:12), she MIGHT be shooting for the outdoor HSR of 9:54.22 by Aisling Cuffe!!

Unless Mary Cain decides to show up!! :D
(Entries are open till March 25!)
aaronk

Postby Dutra5 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:48 pm

Whether Cain can get the 5000m record or not is not the issue with that distance. It's that she's very unlikely to run it.

!
Dutra5

Postby aaronk » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:27 pm

Dutra5 wrote:Whether Cain can get the 5000m record or not is not the issue with that distance. It's that she's very unlikely to run it.

!

Disagree.
One, she ran a pretty good TWO mile....and the jump from 2 to 3 miles (or 3.1...the 5K distance) isn't that far.
Two, while her main focus might be the one mile (1500), there are many milers (1500 people) who will run an early season 5K as sort of a strength test......or even a speedy training run (but in a race!).
It may not be their specialty, but they DO run 5K's.

The only question is whether Salazar (AND Cain herself!!) will choose to fit a 5K into her schedule!!

BTW, I mentioned Cain above in the context of her possibly running in the Raleigh Relays TWO mile.....with Wesley Frazier!!
Although the RR's DO have 5K's and 10K's in their schedule of events!!
aaronk

Postby MJR » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:13 am

Top RW performances outdoors should come from the following athletes, who will be able to focus on distances longer than the Mile now.

Boys:
Nathaniel Roberts (14 Salem, OR)
Anthony Peters (14 Bartlett, IL)
Alexander Peters (14 Bartlett, IL)
Luc Bourget (13 Edward Little, ME)
Geraldo Flores (15 Pharr, TX)
Spencer Dunn (16 Auburn, ME)

Girls:
Brenda McCollum (14 Fall River, KS)
Annica Penn (13 Westhampton Beach, NY)
Katie Michta (14 Sachem North, NY)
Maite Moscoso (13 Longwood, FL)
Stephanie Saccente (13 Kings Park, NY)
Holly Lindoe (13 Sachem East, NY)
Ji Won Kang (13 Townsend Harris, NYC)
Kassandra Rodriguez (16 Alamo, TX)
Alexa Kluepfel (14 John Glenn, NY)
Monika Farmer (15 Connetquot, NY)
Cassandra Delgado (13 Elgin, IL)
MJR

Postby gktrack » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:25 am

Noticed Kendal Williams is entered in the 100/200 at the FSU relays this weekend in the "University" division. Running unattached, I assume he's the same FL high-school junior? w/ earlier marks of 10.18 (2.4)/20.63 (3.5).

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/fsu/sports/c-track/auto_pdf/2012-13/misc_non_event/FSURelaysCollegePerformance.pdf
gktrack

Postby Master Po » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:38 am

I have been wondering about the outdoor season plans for Cain. Slightly more than two months ago, when her indoor season was beginning, it was easy to imagine a decent set of indoor meets for her, even in this postmortem era for indoor track. There were meets coming up at the Armory in NY and in Boston -- all close to where she lives. As it turned out, she traveled cross-country twice, but still raced mostly close to home.

But the indoor season, such as it is, is primarily an east coast thing; outdoor is mostly west coast and south, so I wonder where she will race. aaronk mentioned the Raleigh Relays as a possibility. If Penn Relays has a similar schedule as last year, there will be an Olympic Development mile, which would have national level competition similar to what she ran with indoors. But I don't know what else is out there, outdoors, without her traveling west.
Master Po

Postby aaronk » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:31 pm

Master Po wrote:I have been wondering about the outdoor season plans for Cain. Slightly more than two months ago, when her indoor season was beginning, it was easy to imagine a decent set of indoor meets for her, even in this postmortem era for indoor track. There were meets coming up at the Armory in NY and in Boston -- all close to where she lives. As it turned out, she traveled cross-country twice, but still raced mostly close to home.

But the indoor season, such as it is, is primarily an east coast thing; outdoor is mostly west coast and south, so I wonder where she will race. aaronk mentioned the Raleigh Relays as a possibility. If Penn Relays has a similar schedule as last year, there will be an Olympic Development mile, which would have national level competition similar to what she ran with indoors. But I don't know what else is out there, outdoors, without her traveling west.

Me too!!
Wondering, that is!!
Hopefully, Mary and/or Alberto will let us know.....soon!!

But I think she WILL come out west....or mid-west!!.....or south.....to compete.
Like you said, she did so....twice....indoors.
So she, and her parents, are apparently willing.....and able.....to afford to fly her wherever she needs.....or wants to go.

If that's the case, then it's just left to what they (she and Alberto) have decided she should run this spring!!

I mentioned the Raleigh Relays as a dream wish.....since I believe (Not 100% sure....maybe 90%!!) Wesley Frazier will race the two mile!! She won the race there last year, with a time matching her indoor best this year....10:12.
THAT would be a great race!!!

I still believe Mary will try a 5000 early season....perhaps her first race outdoors.
We'll see, I guess!!
aaronk

Postby Dutra5 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:17 pm

aaronk wrote:
Dutra5 wrote:Whether Cain can get the 5000m record or not is not the issue with that distance. It's that she's very unlikely to run it.

!

Disagree.
One, she ran a pretty good TWO mile....and the jump from 2 to 3 miles (or 3.1...the 5K distance) isn't that far.
Two, while her main focus might be the one mile (1500), there are many milers (1500 people) who will run an early season 5K as sort of a strength test......or even a speedy training run (but in a race!).
It may not be their specialty, but they DO run 5K's.

The only question is whether Salazar (AND Cain herself!!) will choose to fit a 5K into her schedule!!

BTW, I mentioned Cain above in the context of her possibly running in the Raleigh Relays TWO mile.....with Wesley Frazier!!
Although the RR's DO have 5K's and 10K's in their schedule of events!!

What are you disagreeing with unless it's just to ramble on with as many asterisks as possible?

She's unlikely to run a 5000m this year. She's not an open athlete. She's a 16 year old kid very likely to stick to 800m through maybe 3000m.
Dutra5

Postby aaronk » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:17 pm

To Dutra:

What did I disagree with?
That she would NOT run a 5K this year!
She may not.
I could very likely be wrong.
But 1500/milers, and 3K/2 milers DO sometimes open their seasons with a longer distance.
Usain Bolt, primarily a 100-200 guy, opens with a 400, if only in a relay.
So does A Felix.

16 year old kids CAN run 5K's......even longer!!
Did you see where Alana Hadley, age 16, is going to run the Cleveland Marathon in May??
Last year, at age 15, she ran three half-marathons, all between 1:16:41 and 1:16:59!!

As for Cain, last I heard, she IS an "open" athlete!!
Maybe not designated as such, but when was the last time she ran for Bronxville High School??
Cross country season!!
She hasn't faced a high school athlete all winter!!
She's raced only open, elite races!!
aaronk

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:02 am

aaronk, I often pass by your posts because of the way that you are writing them. Youu give every phrase the same emphasis by putting each on a separate line. I know complaints about writing are not kosher but I would like to get more out of what you write. This takes a compact 9 lines (without the indent).
aaronk wrote:What did I disagree with? That she would NOT run a 5K this year! She may not; I could very likely be wrong. But 1500/milers, and 3K/2 milers DO sometimes open their seasons with a longer distance. Usain Bolt, primarily a 100-200 guy, opens with a 400, if only in a relay. So does A Felix.

16 year old kids CAN run 5K's......even longer. Did you see where Alana Hadley, age 16, is going to run the Cleveland Marathon in May? Last year, at age 15, she ran three half-marathons, all between 1:16:41 and 1:16:59.

As for Cain, last I heard, she IS an "open" athlete. Maybe not designated as such, but when was the last time she ran for Bronxville High School - Cross country season! She hasn't faced a high school athlete all winter, she's raced only open, elite races!
26mi235

Postby Dutra5 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:24 am

aaronk wrote:To Dutra:

What did I disagree with?
That she would NOT run a 5K this year!
She may not.
I could very likely be wrong.
But 1500/milers, and 3K/2 milers DO sometimes open their seasons with a longer distance.
Usain Bolt, primarily a 100-200 guy, opens with a 400, if only in a relay.
So does A Felix.

16 year old kids CAN run 5K's......even longer!!
Did you see where Alana Hadley, age 16, is going to run the Cleveland Marathon in May??
Last year, at age 15, she ran three half-marathons, all between 1:16:41 and 1:16:59!!

As for Cain, last I heard, she IS an "open" athlete!!
Maybe not designated as such, but when was the last time she ran for Bronxville High School??
Cross country season!!
She hasn't faced a high school athlete all winter!!
She's raced only open, elite races!!

Mary Cain is a HS athlete. She's a 16 year old kid. The athletes who throw in a 5000m race at the beginning of their season are typically open/older athletes often beyond college. To this point she's been much more of an 800m/1500m runner. So while anything is always possible, it is pretty unlikely that she'll run a 5000m race this year other than XC next season.

Alana Hadley is a kid coached by her father who has long been questioned as to whether he has the girl's long term career in mind as she was running 10km road races before she hit her teens, IIRC. His methods are for another debate but the situation with Hadley and the situation with Cain are not remotely comparable.

!!
Dutra5

Postby Master Po » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:22 am

Agree w dutra's points regarding both athletes.
Master Po

Postby aaronk » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:55 pm

With the TX Relays and Raleigh Relays behind us, and Arcadia and Mt SAC and Penn ahead of us, the HS outdoor season SHOULD explode into a full-bore assault on HSR's, class records, and just an overall HUGE revision of the season, and even all-time Top 24 lists (an arbitrary number, but one I use for MY all time lists!!).

Already, a girl has gone 14 feet in the PV.
We had a wind-aided 10.07 100.
We had a 9:57.70 3200.
We had a 13.38 110H.
And no Mary Cain in sight!!

News from Arcadia is that Haley Crouser has withdrawn, due to some injury.
Grosse Point South's distance girls COULD produce some new records in the 4X1500 and/or 4X1 mile, plus the DMR and the 4X800.
Sarah Baxter ran an early 10:28 2 mile (or 3200??).
She's expected to go a LOT faster.
Wesley Frazier or Erin Finn (or Baxter) will probably attack the 5000 record at some point.....if Cain doesn't do so!
Maybe even the 10K. That's 34 years old!!

And we haven't seen Kendell Williams or Gabrielle Williams outdoors yet....or have we??
Haven't seen any really good outdoor marks from them yet.

I'm super excited by the prospects for THIS outdoor HS season.
I may be wrong, but there SEEMS to be more top-notch athletes---boys and girls--this year than in other recent years.

Even if Mary Cain doesn't run one inch!!!
aaronk

Postby fourjz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:23 pm

Cameron Burrell of Texas ran a 10.07 3.2 wind-aided but looks like if he catches a legal wind will break the 100M HS record.He is the truth.He is Coach Burrell's son of Univ. of Houston.Look out for him in the next few weeks when districts start in Texas. :shock:
fourjz

Postby gktrack » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:32 pm

I believe there are 5 preps at/under 10.36 on a wind-adjusted basis as of April 1:
C. Burrell: 10.07 (3.2) = 10.22
L. Whitfield: 10.15 (2.4) = 10.27
K. Williams: 10.18 (2.4) = 10.30
K. Fulks: 10.21 (3.2) = 10.36
T. Bromell: 10.44 (-1.1) = 10.36

C. Burrell has shown a lot of improvement this past year though... last year his best was 10.42 (0.5).

J. Demps H.S. record of 10.01 (1.6) in Eugene equates to approx. 10.09, that looks like a tough marker to me. Not sure what the H.S.-only-competition record is?
gktrack

Postby aaronk » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:15 am

Just quick-scanned the Arcadia heat sheets.
This year's edition looks to be singularly LACKING in big names...meaning names recognizable on sight as being top 5 or so in their events.

The only field that has some "names" in it is the girl's 3200....one of the heats....with Sarah Baxter, Amy Eloise-Neale, and Katie Knight!!

The girl's mile has Neale in it.

Other than those, I didn't see any "major" names....girls or boys!!

Isn't Arcadia supposed to be a BIGGIE??
Not this year, it appears!!

Hopefully, I'll be happily surprised!!
aaronk

Postby gktrack » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:44 am

Arcadia: Some great sprint/relay matchups for the girls though, with Boyd-Florida and Chandler-Arizona making the trip to take on Long Beach Poly.

Girls 4 x 1: Boyd-FL currently US #1, Chandler-AZ #2 and Poly #4 going into the meet
Girls 100H: current H.S. #1 (Wallace) and #2 (Jordan)
Girls 100: current H.S. #1 (Westbrook), #2 (Davis-White) and Washington of Long Beach Poly
Girls 200: current H.S. #1 (Westbrook), #2 (Washington) and #5 (Davis-White) - order reversed if you include indoor marks.

In the high jump, both Cunningham's are making the trip from Las Vegas... Randall Jr. coming in at H.S. #2 (7' 2") and frosh Vashti (5'10")

Speaking of girls H.S. high jump, I was wondering what was up with last year Oly Trial finalist Gabby Williams (soph. 6' 2 1/4"). She's apparently out this season with a torn ACL from basketball, and has verbally committed to UConn.
http://espn.go.com/espnw/hoopgurlz/9114846/hoopgurlz-connecticut-huskies-get-verbal-gabby-williams
gktrack

Postby MJR » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:38 am

Monika Farmer (15 Connetquot, NY) already hit AT #20 with her 6:58.82 performance in the 1500m RW.
MJR

Postby aaronk » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:14 am

Arcadia will NOT be having ALL the top HS athletes this weekend.

2:03.59 (indoors) 800 girl, Sabrina Southerland, will run the 400 (!!) and 1500 (!) this weekend at the Sam Howell Invitational in Princeton NJ.

Three of her teammates at Benjamin Cardozo HS will go there too.
Akayla Anderson will run the 100H and the intermediates (300 or 400??)..
Deijah Stevens will race the 100 and 200.

But it's Denise Branch who has the most unusual combo.
She'll be running the 400 and.......3000!!!
aaronk

Postby aaronk » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:52 am

At the FL Relays......

Levonte Whitfield ran the fastest 100 of the year, 10.28 (1.4).
A 10th grader, Atkins, ran 10.50 in 2nd!!

In the girl's race, Kaylin Whitney ran the 2nd fastest 100 of 2013, 11.54 (also 1.4).
aaronk

Postby gktrack » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:16 am

Arcadia Multis...

Looks like H.S. junior Harrison Williams from Memphis is on his way to a 7000+ point performance in the decathlon (4553 after 6 events, and he's improved dramatically in the PV this year).

Maybe two girls on pace to go over 5000 in the heptathlon.
gktrack

Postby gktrack » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:41 pm

Arcadia Multis... Kendall Gustafson scores a very respectable 5217 points in the girls heptathlon. For some perspective, K. Williams HS record is 5578, and only 9 preps had a better score in the past 10 years.
http://www.runnerspace.com/eprofile.php?event_id=1663&year=2013&do=info
gktrack

Postby gktrack » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:48 pm

Arcadia Multis... Harrison Williams wins the H.S. decathlon scoring 7066 points, not bad for a junior. He went 11.15, 21-5, 43-7, 6-3, 50.10, 15.48, 106-11, 15-10, 144-10, 4:47.10
gktrack

Postby aaronk » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:23 am

Arcadia is turning out to be a real loud DUD!!
Nothing of note to report!!
Not to mention the live webcast is one of the WORST I've ever seen!!
Someone off the street could do a better job of announcing....and camera work!! :evil:

And it seems 2:03.59 girl Sabrina Southerland has opted OUT of the Sam Howell's meet.
She'd been entered in the 400 and 1500, but is not listed in either one now!!
Is she sick...or injured??
aaronk

Postby az2004 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:29 pm

isn't long beach poly using arcadia as the prelim to their annual visit to penn relays

i'm waiting for walt murphy preview to ssee who to pay attentiotion to at penn

http://www.thepennrelays.com/mediaPorta ... ER_CONTENT

typical penn race
az2004

Postby gktrack » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:26 pm

Arcadia - Sasha Wallace - drops her SB, another HS #1 to 13.55 (1.3)
gktrack

Postby Blues » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:07 pm

aaronk wrote:And it seems 2:03.59 girl Sabrina Southerland has opted OUT of the Sam Howell's meet.

Sabrina was lucky enough to get a chance to attend the NCAA Basketball Final Four to watch her older brother James and his Syracuse team play, so she scratched from the Howell meet.
Blues

Postby Dutra5 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:14 pm

Blues wrote:
aaronk wrote:And it seems 2:03.59 girl Sabrina Southerland has opted OUT of the Sam Howell's meet.

Sabrina was lucky enough to get a chance to attend the NCAA Basketball Final Four to watch her older brother James and his Syracuse team play, so she scratched from the Howell meet.

That's great for her.
Dutra5

Postby gktrack » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:54 pm

Arcadia: Girl's sprint times were at/near nation leading times...

G100 - K. Westbrook (Chandler, AZ) - 11.50
G4x1 - Boyd-Anderson (FL) - 45.91
G200 - great run by A. Washington (Poly, CA) - 23.34 (0.1), new 2013 HS #1 leader... easy winner over Davis-White 23.71, and Westbrook 23.87

Add: Mobile Challenge:
Marlon Humphrey with a great hurdle double... 13.30 (4.1) and 35.60 (I believe, the fastest 300H since R. Wyatt HS record of 35.02 set in 2009).
gktrack

Postby Dutra5 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:23 pm

Ben Saarel 8:45 with 4 under 8:50 at Arcadia
Dutra5

Postby EPelle » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:46 am

Bishop O'Dowd's Eugene Hamilton III continues his winning ways: follows up his Stanford mile victory (4.12,74y/California prep leader) with a 1.50,19 (negative-split 56,1-54,0) 800m Arcadia victory (California prep leader).

Eugene has run a 49,26 400m this season (one of two sub-50's (ran 49,79 at Stanford the same day as his 4.12 mile) and also has a 50,1 from an all-comer's race).
EPelle

Postby EPelle » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:04 am

aaronk wrote:Arcadia is turning out to be a real loud DUD!!

16 under 9.00, with one at 9.00; Ben Saarel (who'd run a 1.54/4.16/8.55 triple two weeks ago) over 4.01 miler Bernie Montoya and Blake Haney (4.09y/8.54 in grade-10 last year) in the 3.200m. Yep, sure were some no-namers in the boy's race.
EPelle

Postby Dutra5 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:37 am

EPelle wrote:Bishop O'Dowd's Eugene Hamilton III continues his winning ways: follows up his Stanford mile victory (4.12,74y/California prep leader) with a 1.50,19 (negative-split 56,1-54,0) 800m Arcadia victory (California prep leader).

Eugene has run a 49,26 400m this season (one of two sub-50's (ran 49,79 at Stanford the same day as his 4.12 mile) and also has a 50,1 from an all-comer's race).

Might be an interesting matchup with Arroyo who has a similar profile.
Dutra5

Postby Dutra5 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:37 am

EPelle wrote:

16 under 9.00, with one at 9.00; Ben Saarel (who'd run a 1.54/4.16/8.55 triple two weeks ago) over 4.01 miler Bernie Montoya and Blake Haney (4.09y/8.54 in grade-10 last year) in the 3.200m. Yep, sure were some no-namers in the boy's race.

Yeah...but those are boys.

!!
Dutra5

Postby kevinsdad » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:09 am

EPelle wrote:

Actually, two more kids ran under 9:00 in one of the "B" races, for a grand, and mind-boggling total of 18 under 9:00, and about a dozen more at or under 9:05 in all the races combined.
kevinsdad

Postby aaronk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:07 am

Dutra5 wrote:
EPelle wrote:

!!

You are fucking SICK and IMMATURE to imply anything about my interest in girl's track and field!!
When I said Arcadia had been a "DUD", it WAS!!
That was BEFORE the boy's 3200!!
I did not KNOW of it then!!

However, all that said, I AM more interested in the girls this year!!
Why??
How about Mary Cain's SIX indoor HSR's for starters?
How about all the other POSSIBLE great distance runners the female side has this year?
(Sarah Baxter, Erin Finn, Wesley Frazier, Sabrina Southerland.....ALL possible TOP FIVE A-T at distances ranging from 800 to 10000 meters!!)

Then you have Haley Crouser, Kendell Williams, Dior Hall and Sasha Wallace, Annie Rhodes and Lakan Taylor, and others I can't remember right now!!
Oh yeah, and that's (sadly) omitting Gabrielle Williams, who is injured!!

Am I excited by the boy's accomplishments??
Re: that 3200.
Yes, except for the fact it was a 3200!!
But that applies to girl's 3200's (or 1600's) as well!!
If Mary Cain were to run a 3200 in 9:30, I would NOT be happy about it!!
Whatever thrill I might feel from a time like that would be negated by the fact it did NOT break the OUTDOOR two MILE record!!
(Ditto with her indoor 9:02.10!! If not for her 9:04.51 at Boston, the HS indoor record would STILL belong to Melody Fairchild!!)

So my interest in "girl's" is based SOLELY and EXCLUSIVELY on their POTENTIAL...and on their past ACCOMPLISHMENTS!!!

ANY other IMPLIED interest just shows the SICK brain of that person who implies any OTHER reason for my interest!!!

CUT IT OUT, please!!!
aaronk

Postby aaronk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:29 pm

Dutra5 wrote:
EPelle wrote:

!!

While I hate the fact it wasn't a full 2 mile race, was VERY impressed by Saarel's 55.2 final 400!!
Whoa!!
That bodes well for an all-out attempt at Verzbicas's outdoor two mile (and 3000 meter) mark!

Also SUPER impressed by Andres Arroyo's 1:47.79 800......but even MORE impressed by his third 200....an apparent 25+, according to the announcer.
The announcer said his first 400 was 53+, and his 600 was 1:18+.....so if it WAS a 25 3rd 200.....WOW!!

Also very impressed that Sarah Baxter ran negative splits in her 3200 (5:08 and 5:00 1600's).
Hopefully, she'll try the full two mile distance!!
Also impressive was Anna Maxwell's last lap!!

So that "DUD" of an Arcadia.....soon became quite good!!

Congrats to the girls.......AND the boys!! :D
aaronk

Next