2013 Multievents (Oeser out, Nobel JT PB)

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

2013 Multievents (Oeser out, Nobel JT PB)

Postby Gabriella » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:30 am

It looks like Jennifer Oeser will miss this years World Championships due to injury. She had an operation on her achilles after London and appeared to be recovering well but it flared up again. She had another operation a week ago to remove part of a bone in her foot. The tendon isn't affected so she hopes to compete in a couple of events at the end of the season.

Better news for the German multi events team is the new JT PB for Jan Felix-Nobel. It's already one of his better events and he improved his PB by 3m to a great 76.36 in Coetzenburg. He has now also been promoted to the winner of the Ratingen meet after the drugs DQ of Larbi Bouraada.
Gabriella

Re: 2013 Multievents (Oeser out, Nobel JT PB)

Postby norunner » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:27 am

His name is Knobel.
norunner

Postby olorin » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:01 pm

Gabriella wrote:.

Better news for the German multi events team is the new JT PB for Jan Felix-Nobel. It's already one of his better events and he improved his PB by 3m to a great 76.36 in Coetzenburg. He has now also been promoted to the winner of the Ratingen meet after the drugs DQ of Larbi Bouraada.

If Knobel can throw 76+ in the decathlon he will become the third best ever in the JT behind Blank (that not really a top decathlete) and Suarez (77.47).
With PBs of 16.06, 49.80 and 76.36 he also has a good chance to become one of the best ever in the throwing events.

Unfortunately, for the overall decathlon I am not very optimistic. Although relatively young (23) at this stage I cannot see him competing with the new generation of decathletes as he is simply not fast enough. The one place he must improve is his jumps. PBs of 2.00 and 7.30 are simply not good enough to compete in the highest level.
olorin

Postby norunner » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:18 pm

olorin wrote:Unfortunately, for the overall decathlon I am not very optimistic. Although relatively young (23) at this stage I cannot see him competing with the new generation of decathletes as he is simply not fast enough. The one place he must improve is his jumps. PBs of 2.00 and 7.30 are simply not good enough to compete in the highest level.
The current european champion won his title with only 1.99 and 7.15, so i would disagree. While you won't be able to challenge Eaton with those mediocre jumps, they are good enough to get you into the medals at any event.
norunner

Postby olorin » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:28 pm

norunner wrote:
olorin wrote:Unfortunately, for the overall decathlon I am not very optimistic. Although relatively young (23) at this stage I cannot see him competing with the new generation of decathletes as he is simply not fast enough. The one place he must improve is his jumps. 2.00 and 7.30 are simply not good enough to compete in the highest level.
The current european champion won his title with only 1.99 and 7.15, so i would disagree. While you won't be able to challenge Eaton with those mediocre jumps, they are good enough to get you into the medals at any event.

I meant that 2.00 and 7.30 are not good enough for him (Knobel) to be competitive. Of course if you take a hybrid between Eaton's running event and Knobel's throwing events you may end up in silver even without good jumping.

Having said this note that the last European championship was weak with many of the top athletes skip it in order to prepare for the Olympic games.

Finally, as suggested by few, we are in the beginning of a new era in decathlon. There are 7-8 young decathletes (born after 1990) from various countries that are all in the low 8,000 bracket looking for a breakthrough. While few of them may be "stuck" in the low 8,000 others will make it to challenge for the silver in major competitions. Add to this the "old gourd" of Hardee, Suarez, Warner and Sintnicolaas and by the time Knobel will be ready to medal (at least 2015) 8,600 will probably won't be enough.
olorin