kuts v pirie 56 oly


Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

kuts v pirie 56 oly

Postby no one » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:22 pm

excellent picture - about 3- 4 laps total

not sure if this is within board rules

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt7ByrQOayg
no one
 
Posts: 1611
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: kuts v pirie 56 oly

Postby Daisy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:37 pm

Talk about front running! And that cigar was ridiculous.
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: kuts v pirie 56 oly

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:06 pm

I love that cigar!
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: kuts v pirie 56 oly

Postby lovetorun » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:30 pm

Fun to watch...1956 is the year I became an avid track fan.
lovetorun
 
Posts: 1208
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:48 am

Re: kuts v pirie 56 oly

Postby dukehjsteve » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:42 pm

I love the headline in T&FN Olympic Issue 10K story:

" Kuts Murders Pirie "
dukehjsteve
 
Posts: 6057
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fishers, IN

Re: kuts v pirie 56 oly

Postby rhymans » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:57 am

It didn't have the electric finish of the 2000 OG race, but was just as good a duel - probably more so for the time the 2 of them were together clear of the field.
rhymans
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: kuts v pirie 56 oly

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:52 am

I suppose I should know this, but who are the couple the camera keeps going back to?

PS. Okay, I got it, the Zatopeks. Still don't know you the cigar guy is.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: kuts v pirie 56 oly

Postby lonewolf » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:09 am

Conor Dary wrote:I suppose I should know this, but who are the couple the camera keeps going back to?

PS. Okay, I got it, the Zatopeks. Still don't know you the cigar guy is.

I wondered about the cigar guy too.. that is a big cigar and he consumed most of it during the race.. how long does a "regular" cigar last?
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: kuts v pirie 56 oly

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:20 am

lonewolf wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:I suppose I should know this, but who are the couple the camera keeps going back to?

PS. Okay, I got it, the Zatopeks. Still don't know you the cigar guy is.

I wondered about the cigar guy too.. that is a big cigar and he consumed most of it during the race.. how long does a "regular" cigar last?


For a while I smoked the occasional cigar, especially in England where you could get Cuban cigars, but not anymore, and they were never anything like that. They would certainly last longer than 28 minutes. I suspect they filmed the guy during the day, and spliced it in later.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: kuts v pirie 56 oly

Postby user4 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:13 am

Great video, Kuts was not human!
user4
 
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: kuts v pirie 56 oly

Postby Pego » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:23 pm

user4 wrote:Great video, Kuts was not human!


Well, he drank like a fish :wink: .
Pego
 
Posts: 10203
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: kuts v pirie 56 oly

Postby lonewolf » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:10 pm

Pego wrote:
user4 wrote:Great video, Kuts was not human!


Well, he drank like a fish :wink: .

Dumb but serious question: Do fish actually drink?
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: kuts v pirie 56 oly

Postby user4 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:48 am

lonewolf wrote:
Pego wrote:
user4 wrote:Great video, Kuts was not human!


Well, he drank like a fish :wink: .

Dumb but serious question: Do fish actually drink?


I couldn't help myself from searching. The answer seems counter-intuitive at first but once you accept that the animals tissues have a certain parts per million of salt the rest seems to follow.

(I trust that the answers are provided by trained ichthyolygist.)

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Do_fish_drink_water
http://indianapublicmedia.org/amomentof ... ish-drink/
user4
 
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: kuts v pirie 56 oly

Postby kuha » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:52 am

user4 wrote:(I trust that the answers are provided by trained ichthyolygist.)


The first semester of training goes into learning how to pronounce your profession.
kuha
 
Posts: 9034
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 3rd row, on the finish line

Re: kuts v pirie 56 oly

Postby portsea57 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:34 pm

Both Pirie and Zatopek felt that Kuts was using some performance enhancing aids!
Interestingly, there might still be people out there who could shed more light on this matter.
portsea57
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 9:53 am

Re: kuts v pirie 56 oly

Postby user4 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:55 pm

portsea57 wrote:Both Pirie and Zatopek felt that Kuts was using some performance enhancing aids!
Interestingly, there might still be people out there who could shed more light on this matter.


who wouldnt after watching him bludgeon the field like that!
user4
 
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: kuts v pirie 56 oly

Postby Sprints_and_XC » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:15 pm

This probably has been posted before, but if you haven't seen this high quality footage of Zatopek in the 1946 Olympic 10,000m, you owe it to yourself to check it out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvEBEK8_vqc
Sprints_and_XC
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:02 am

Re: kuts v pirie 56 oly

Postby Per Andersen » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:33 pm

Sprints_and_XC wrote:This probably has been posted before, but if you haven't seen this high quality footage of Zatopek in the 1946 Olympic 10,000m, you owe it to yourself to check it out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvEBEK8_vqc

Thanks for posting the video. Terrific stuff! But this was the 5000 though. Amazing that they set an Olympic record on that horrible, rain-soaked track. Hard to say why Reiff suddenly was able to open up that big lead on Zatopek with only two or three laps left.
Reiff sure had a beautiful stride. Both Reiff and Slijkhuis looked more like the 1500-5000 types they really were.

If Slijkhuis had skipped this punishing 5000 he could maybe have taken the Swedes in the 1500. Heats and final just 2 and 4 days days after the 5000 final. The way it was he nearly had Strand for the silver.
Per Andersen
 
Posts: 3737
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests