Are you a hardcore track fan?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Postby runohio » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:58 pm

Random Thoughts - By Rod O’Donnell - 1) In the March issue of Track & Field News, Editor E. Garry Hill listed several ways that might indicate whether you are a hardcore track fan…the following should be added to the list:
http://www.runohio.com/index.php/featur ... ping-track - www.runohio.com
runohio

Re: Are you a hardcore track fan?

Postby aaronk » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:04 pm

That one about seeing a road sign saying "26 miles to....", and thinking "marathon!"....was true for me.

Me and a few running buddies were driving from Humboldt County in CA heading to the Seaside Marathon in Seaside OR in either 1974 or 1975. (I ran it both years!)

I DID see such a sign.....and then, for the next 26 miles, I thought.....I'm going to run THIS far??!!"

Somehow, I DID run the distance!! :shock:
aaronk

Postby Per Andersen » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:56 pm

More than once I have woken up and seen that 2.41 on the clock. That, of course, says Paklin right away. If I don't watch it I start wondering why Avdeyenko never jumped 2.40 :)
Per Andersen

Postby batonless relay » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:18 am

I don't know if this makes me a "hardcore track fan" but I don't think "gold medal" "silver medal" or "bronze medal" should ever be used unless the medal was won at the Olympics (later in life I reluctantly included the World Championships). First place, second place and third place are the proper designations for all other events (meets, HS District, Regional State Meets, Collegiate Championships, National Championships, Regional Champs [PanAM, Euros, Asian, African] or Empire Games), imo. I always cringe a little when I read that an athlete won a "gold medal" and it's not an Olympic event.
batonless relay

Postby TN1965 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:50 am

-“If you come upon a hill while driving, and plan a great work-out using the elevation change.”

I do this all the time. But that's more like a "running nut" than a track fan in me.
TN1965

Postby dukehjsteve » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:20 am

My hard core track fan proof is that always, whenever and wherever I'm driving, I look for road signs with names that also belong to a T&F'er. Example could be: " Beatty Truck Company " at which point I holler "Jim Beatty, miler/5k for North Carolina ! " Or "Austin Avenue " and I say "Charles Austin ! Olympic HJ champ 1996 ! "

The rarest is full name ID's such as Charles Greene Furniture Company. But the truly rarest are full names that are legit, such as cruising down I-75 in Dayton, Ohio and seeing an exit sign for Edwin C. Moses Boulevard. (That's the only of this ilk I've ever seen. )

Try this name game... it becomes quite addictive, I promise you.
dukehjsteve

Postby kuha » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:45 am

A pretty typical day for me the day before yesterday... Was in L.A. on business and had time to hit a few used book shops. Found a copy of the 1982 T&FN book on the "High Jump," written (in part) by Dwight Stones, etc. I pulled it out, flipped through quickly...thought that I probably already had it...but it was kind of uncommon and I hadn't seen one in a while...then saw that it was autographed by J. Wszola...and decided to spring for the $24.95 cost. The checkout guy said: "It''s autographed? Who's the guy?" I said: "He won an Olympic gold medal in the high jump." The checkout guy: "Hmmmmm...." Which I translated as: "And for THAT you're giving me $25 bucks? No problem!"
kuha

Postby tandfman » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:47 pm

batonless relay wrote:I don't know if this makes me a "hardcore track fan" but I don't think "gold medal" "silver medal" or "bronze medal" should ever be used unless the medal was won at the Olympics (later in life I reluctantly included the World Championships). First place, second place and third place are the proper designations for all other events (meets, HS District, Regional State Meets, Collegiate Championships, National Championships, Regional Champs [PanAM, Euros, Asian, African] or Empire Games), imo. I always cringe a little when I read that an athlete won a "gold medal" and it's not an Olympic event.

To me, the question is whether the meet actually gives gold, silver, and bronze medals. Very few meets do these days, and I agree that writers are often sloppy in their usage of gold/silver/bronze to refer to 1st/2nd/3rd place without any regard to whether those medals are really given.

But where they are given (as they are in the Pan-American Games, the European Championships, and lots of other important competitions), there's no reason why they shouldn't be referred to.
tandfman

Postby Marlow » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:00 pm

tandfman wrote:But where they are given (as they are in the Pan-American Games, the European Championships, and lots of other important competitions), there's no reason why they shouldn't be referred to.

Caveat Victor. I have been given gold, silver and bronze medals for my many stellar performances, only to find out later they were PLASTIC! :shock:
Last edited by Marlow on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marlow

Postby marknhj » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:16 pm

I tend to convert the height limiting barriers in car parks, I mean parking garages, from imperial into metric :)
marknhj

Postby Pego » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:44 pm

I use some memorable performances as passwords 8-) .
Pego

Postby pakillo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:24 pm

When you are 15 years old on vacation and keep answering to every question with one answer: "Falilat Ogunkoya" :)
pakillo

Postby gh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:27 pm

when you were a kid was it universal that the rank of ribbons was blue-red-white? (sometimes yellow instead of white)
gh

Postby tandfman » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:36 pm

Marlow wrote:
tandfman wrote:But where they are given (as they are in the Pan-American Games, the European Championships, and lots of other important competitions), there's no reason why they shouldn't be referred to.

Caveat Victor. I have been given gold, silver and bronze medals for my many stellar performances, only to find out later they were PLASTIC! :shock:

Do you think gold medals are ever made of pure gold? They're not--even in the Olympics.
tandfman

Postby pakillo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:39 pm

batonless relay wrote:I don't know if this makes me a "hardcore track fan" but I don't think "gold medal" "silver medal" or "bronze medal" should ever be used unless the medal was won at the Olympics (later in life I reluctantly included the World Championships). First place, second place and third place are the proper designations for all other events (meets, HS District, Regional State Meets, Collegiate Championships, National Championships, Regional Champs [PanAM, Euros, Asian, African] or Empire Games), imo. I always cringe a little when I read that an athlete won a "gold medal" and it's not an Olympic event.

I'm total opposite, I always cringe when I read an article or whatever where the author only mention Olympic medals. That's very typical of Americans. But then I realise that's one of the reasons this sport will stay where it is in the USA, imo.
pakillo

Postby lonewolf » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:18 pm

gh wrote:when you were a kid was it universal that the rank of ribbons was blue-red-white? (sometimes yellow instead of white)

Dunno if it was universal but that was also the award color sequence in olden days in Indian Territory.
lonewolf

Postby gh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:31 pm

runohio wrote:Are you a hardcore track fan?

Random Thoughts - By Rod O’Donnell - 1) In the March issue of Track & Field News, Editor E. Garry Hill listed several ways that might indicate whether you are a hardcore track fan…the following should be added to the list:
http://www.runohio.com/index.php/featur ... ping-track - http://www.runohio.com

Actually, I did it in both the March and April issues. Links to both columns (and reams of other stunning reading :mrgreen: ) found here:

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/index. ... the-editor
gh

Postby wineturtle » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:48 pm

lonewolf wrote:
gh wrote:when you were a kid was it universal that the rank of ribbons was blue-red-white? (sometimes yellow instead of white)

Dunno if it was universal but that was also the award color sequence in olden days in Indian Territory.

In the US Horse Shows -and it differs all over the globe- the order is blue ,red. yellow, white, pink, green. purple, brown, gray, light blue.
wineturtle

Postby runforlife » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:36 am

dukehjsteve wrote: But the truly rarest are full names that are legit, such as cruising down I-75 in Dayton, Ohio and seeing an exit sign for Edwin C. Moses Boulevard.

During coaching season I come this way every day so don't even notice the sign.
But waking up at night and seeing the clock I always associate it with some track mark. I've assumed this was just nomal.
runforlife