Bolt to be paid US$750,000 to run in the UK [maybe]

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Bolt to be paid US$750,000 to run in the UK [maybe]

Postby jamboy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:52 am

The six time Olympic gold medal is worth every penny he is getting paid. All tax free in the UK

==================================================================================

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... Ennis.html

Telegraph Sport can reveal that the Jamaican sprinter has signed a contract to compete on both days of Diamond League grand prix meeting on July 26 and 27, ensuring that as many ticket-holders as possible get the opportunity to see him compete.
jamboy

Re: Bolt to be paid US$750,000 to run in the UK this summer

Postby batonless relay » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:01 am

worth every penny? he's getting 66% of what Mo Farah is getting to appear in the London Marathon and 'only' equal to what Paula Radcliffe received nearly a decade ago. And he's appearing on both days. It looks like they took his management to the woodshed and got him for a song. Or, maybe Bolt isn't worth the same as Paula Radcliffe or Mo Farah... :mrgreen:
batonless relay

Postby jamboy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:14 am

batonless relay wrote:worth every penny? he's getting 66% of what Mo Farah is getting to appear in the London Marathon and 'only' equal to what Paula Radcliffe received nearly a decade ago. And he's appearing on both days. It looks like they took his management to the woodshed and got him for a song. Or, maybe Bolt isn't worth the same as Paula Radcliffe or Mo Farah... :mrgreen:

Don't know what the crap your talking about. He is getting paid UK 250,000 per event.

Don't know any of those other runners getting those amounts regularly on the circuit.
Last edited by jamboy on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamboy

Postby batonless relay » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:22 am

jamboy wrote:
batonless relay wrote:worth every penny? he's getting 66% of what Mo Farah is getting to appear in the London Marathon and 'only' equal to what Paula Radcliffe received nearly a decade ago. And he's appearing on both days. It looks like they took his management to the woodshed and got him for a song. Or, maybe Bolt isn't worth the same as Paula Radcliffe or Mo Farah... :mrgreen:

Don't know what the crap your talking about. He is getting paid US$250,000 per event.

Don't know any of those other runners getting those amounts regularly on the circuit.

Uhm. Obviously you didn't read the article that you are burdening the rest of us with or your maths skills are in need of remediation. It doesn't say that Bolt is making $250,000 per event and if it did, it would be undercutting the figure quoted in the title of your thread considerably.

As I said, it appears that Bolt is not worth a Farah or a Radcliffe in the UK. But, you can be proud that he's worth about 66% of them. That's still a good number. :mrgreen:
batonless relay

Postby Flumpy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:41 am

To be honest he's not worth it at all.

The Olympic stadium would easily sell out both days with no Usain on the bill. That's not to say it isn't great he's there but he's really not necessary in to make the event a success.
Last edited by Flumpy on Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flumpy

Postby jamboy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:21 am

batonless relay wrote:
jamboy wrote:

Don't know what the crap your talking about. He is getting paid US$250,000 per event.

Uhm. Obviously you didn't read the article that you are burdening the rest of us with or your maths skills are in need of remediation. It doesn't say that Bolt is making $250,000 per event and if it did, it would be undercutting the figure quoted in the title of your thread considerably.

As I said, it appears that Bolt is not worth a Farah or a Radcliffe in the UK. But, you can be proud that he's worth about 66% of them. That's still a good number. :mrgreen:

I think your math skills are in need of remediation. UK500,000 converts to US$750,000. Go back and check your math

UK 500,000 divided by 2 equals UK250,000 per event.
Last edited by jamboy on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamboy

Postby eldanielfire » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:25 am

Flumpy wrote:To be honest he's not worth it at all.

The Olympic stadium would easily sell out both days with no Usain on the bill. That's not to say it isn't great he's there but he's really not necessary in to make the event a success.

But Bolt being there sure of hell will make the days so much better and entertaining and memorable. Dead cert legend and the sport will be a poorer place without him when he eventually retires, this may be the last time we will see him run in the UK ever given our tax laws.

This news has made me very very happy :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
eldanielfire

Re: Bolt to be paid US$750,000 to run in the UK [maybe]

Postby gh » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:33 am

note the piece on our front page. Bolt's agent has weighed in to say that the Telegraph story is a "false star" (a Brit paper jumping the gun. I'm shocked... shocked....)
gh

Postby batonless relay » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:42 am

jamboy wrote:I think your math skills are in need of remediation. UK500,000 converts to US$750,000. Go back and check your math

haha. In all your rudeness, you refuse to realize that I quoted your initial comments (so if you wanted to go back, be dishonest, and change them it would show what you really wrote) and YOU, jamboy, said $250,000 (NOT UK250,000 that you are trying mightily to PRETEND you said from the beginning). YOU ARE WRONG. Also, Mo Farah, for one event (London Marathon) was offered £750,000 and Paula Radcliffe, for one event - nearly a decade ago, was offered £500,000. This is more than even the .£250,000 that Bolt is being offered. And, if you don't know what Radcliffe and Farah were paid then you probably shouldn't make such declarative statements about Bolt being worth more to the Brits. He's not and there is proof of that. Don't worry, I don't expect you to admit that you're egregiously wrong, but it IS on display for everyone to see.

batonless relay wrote:
jamboy wrote:He is getting paid US$250,000 per event.

batonless relay

Postby jamboy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:45 am

batonless relay wrote:
jamboy wrote:I think your math skills are in need of remediation. UK500,000 converts to US$750,000. Go back and check your math

haha. In all your rudeness, you refuse to realize that I quoted your initial comments (so if you wanted to go back, be dishonest, and change them it would show what you really wrote) and YOU, jamboy, said $250,000 (NOT UK250,000 that you are trying mightily to PRETEND you said from the beginning). YOU ARE WRONG. Also, Mo Farah, for one event (London Marathon) was offered £750,000 and Paula Radcliffe, for one event - nearly a decade ago, was offered £500,000. This is more than even the .£250,000 that Bolt is being offered. And, if you don't know what Radcliffe and Farah were paid then you probably shouldn't make such declarative statements about Bolt being worth more to the Brits. He's not and there is proof of that. Don't worry, I don't expect you to admit that you're egregiously wrong, but it IS on display for everyone to see.

batonless relay wrote:
jamboy wrote:He is getting paid US$250,000 per event.

You obviously missed my point. Bolt is paid $250,000 everytime he runs on the race in Europe. Does Mo Fah and Paula get those amounts regularly you quoted on the circuit every week like Bolt.? I don't think so.
Last edited by jamboy on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamboy

Postby jamboy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:47 am

gh wrote:note the piece on our front page. Bolt's agent has weighed in to say that the Telegraph story is a "false star" (a Brit paper jumping the gun. I'm shocked... shocked....)

Story is plausible. It works out to be about 250,000 per event which is his rumored asking price on the circuit right now.
jamboy

Postby jamboy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:54 am

Bolt is worth every penny. He is the greatest track and field athlete of all time(GOAT) and has transformed the sport tremendously.
Last edited by jamboy on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamboy

Postby batonless relay » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:56 am

jamboy, my last comment on this is that you're wrong on that too. It's been reported that Bolt is paid $300,000 fairly consistently so using $250,000 to fit your argument just weakens it, unfortunately. It makes you look like you're desperate to be right. Just write what you mean and mean what you write or be a bigger man and admit that you made a mistake. It goes a long way.

Anyway, they are going to fill the stadium both days anyway - they don't need Bolt. Even though I believe that ANY track meet without Bolt is lesser for it. Now I'm sure the office of the exchequer felt that they OWED the people of the London another Bolt showing after arguably being the face of London 2012 (and not being present since 2009), but it certainly wasn't for the purpose of "putting asses in the seats". It was going to be sold out without him.
batonless relay

Postby jamboy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:02 am

batonless relay wrote:jamboy, my last comment on this is that you're wrong on that too. It's been reported that Bolt is paid $300,000 fairly consistently so using $250,000 to fit your argument just weakens it, unfortunately. It makes you look like you're desperate to be right. Just write what you mean and mean what you write or be a bigger man and admit that you made a mistake. It goes a long way.

Anyway, they are going to fill the stadium both days anyway - they don't need Bolt. Even though I believe that ANY track meet without Bolt is lesser for it. Now I'm sure the office of the exchequer felt that they OWED the people of the London another Bolt showing after arguably being the face of London 2012 (and not being present since 2009), but it certainly wasn't for the purpose of "putting asses in the seats". It was going to be sold out without him.

You are wrong. I have never seen a contract which says he is paid $300,000 to run.
Last edited by jamboy on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamboy

Postby EPelle » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:05 am

He's wrong because you didn't read it?

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2012 ... orts1.html

The Gleaner wrote:Like all track and field athletes, Bolt earns comparatively less in salary and winnings than individuals in other sporting disciplines, but he is one of the most sought-after personalities for companies across the world, with one of the most recognisable and endearing images in international sports.

Bolt is believed to command in the region of US$300,000 in appearance fees per track meet.
EPelle

Postby jamboy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:07 am

EPelle wrote:He's wrong because you didn't read it?

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2012 ... orts1.html

The Gleaner wrote:Like all track and field athletes, Bolt earns comparatively less in salary and winnings than individuals in other sporting disciplines, but he is one of the most sought-after personalities for companies across the world, with one of the most recognisable and endearing images in international sports.

Bolt is believed to command in the region of US$300,000 in appearance fees per track meet.

If you read the article, it says "it is believed". Unless we see the actual contract, there is no certainty :D
jamboy

Postby gh » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:14 am

from a piece carried by the Jamaica Observer on February 27

<<PARIS, France (AFP) — Olympic sprint champion Usain Bolt has been signed to run the 200m at the Diamond League meeting in Paris in July, organisers said yesterday.

"With Bolt, we know that we will easily fill the Stade de France," said the head of the meeting, Laurent Boquillet, adding that organisers had shelled out $300,000 (229,000 euros) to bring the Jamaican track king to the French capital on July 6.>>
gh

Postby jamboy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:23 am

gh wrote:from a piece carried by the Jamaica Observer on February 27

<<PARIS, France (AFP) — Olympic sprint champion Usain Bolt has been signed to run the 200m at the Diamond League meeting in Paris in July, organisers said yesterday.

"With Bolt, we know that we will easily fill the Stade de France," said the head of the meeting, Laurent Boquillet, adding that organisers had shelled out $300,000 (229,000 euros) to bring the Jamaican track king to the French capital on July 6.>>

Well, I am happy to read that his asking price has gone from 250,000 per meet to 300,000 now.

If Bolt keeps doing what he has done over the past few years and repeats the triple in Rio, I can't imagine what his asking price will be then.
jamboy

Postby eldanielfire » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:54 am

gh wrote:note the piece on our front page. Bolt's agent has weighed in to say that the Telegraph story is a "false star" (a Brit paper jumping the gun. I'm shocked... shocked....)

I've found that the Telegraph often makes good calls in advance of the official story in sports like T&F and Rugby. While Is suspect the final details aren't ironed out and they want to release the news with the opening of ticket sales and press release with Bolt talking to the press and all the biggest possible attention grabbing techniques the PR people will design. Certainly Bolts people haven't contradicted anything and certainly are making noises that this will happen and almost sorted.
eldanielfire

Postby eldanielfire » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:59 am

jamboy wrote:

Well, I am happy to read that his asking price has gone from 250,000 per meet to 300,000 now.

If Bolt keeps doing what he has done over the past few years and repeats the triple in Rio, I can't imagine what his asking price will be then.

He says he will retire after Rio. However as he's often said the UK is like running at home for him, a London world championships the year would be a wonderful swan song and be a logical point to maximise his earnings, advertisement potential and fame while he is at his earning peak while enjoying himself.
eldanielfire

Postby Flumpy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:03 am

jamboy wrote:

Both is worth every penny. He is the greatest track and field athlete of all time(GOAT) and has transformed the sport tremendously.

Which has nothing to do with what I said and no he isn't :roll:
Last edited by Flumpy on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flumpy

Postby gh » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:26 am

jamboy wrote:

And like Carl Lewis before him, he totally screws up the economics of the sport. Every dollar that goes to him is a dollar that doesn't go to other athletes.
gh

Postby eldanielfire » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:35 am

gh wrote:
jamboy wrote:

And like Carl Lewis before him, he totally screws up the economics of the sport. Every dollar that goes to him is a dollar that doesn't go to other athletes.

Maybe, I'd argue that he probably generates money for the sport unlike any athlete ever in the sport. Bolt attracts attention, more sponsor interest, more ticket sales, wide media coverage of the sport, bigger TV deals, more sports companies paying for the next Bolt etc. Both directly and probably even greater indirectly he has helped the whole sport make more money and widen interest which in turn tends to make the future brighter in both numbers and finances.
eldanielfire

Postby mump boy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:46 am

While we're at it, can debunk the fallacy that Mo is getting £750k for the London Marathon

The truth is he 'could' earn 'up t'o £750k from appearance, prize (with time bonuses) and sponsors money for running half the marathon this year and the full one next year. Considering he's already sponsored by Virgin i wouldn't be at all surprised if his current sponsorship isn't mixed up in that figure as well

As for Paula i've never heard of her getting anything like that much for a marathon.
mump boy

Postby gh » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:46 am

That must be why all the shoe companies cut loose dozens and dozens of athletes this year, to celebrate how much money Bolt is bringing in.
gh

Postby marknhj » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:18 am

I don't understand the constant need for Jamaicans to try to demonstrate Bolt's greatness by harping on about the fees he commands. Everyone knows how great he is and a measure of his greatness isn't defined by his earning $x more than he was, or $x more than anyone else. It smacks of a national inferiority complex to me.
marknhj

Postby Daisy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:23 am

marknhj wrote:It smacks of a national inferiority complex to me.

Are you suggesting that your Mo is bigger than Jamboy's Bolt?
Daisy

Postby marknhj » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:26 am

Daisy wrote:
marknhj wrote:It smacks of a national inferiority complex to me.

Are you suggesting that your Mo is bigger than Jamboy's Bolt?

I don't think references to Mojo being bigger than anything are appropriate on a public forum.
marknhj

Postby jamboy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:35 am

marknhj wrote:I don't understand the constant need for Jamaicans to try to demonstrate Bolt's greatness by harping on about the fees he commands. Everyone knows how great he is and a measure of his greatness isn't defined by his earning $x more than he was, or $x more than anyone else. It smacks of a national inferiority complex to me.

lol. Jamaicans having an inferiority complex? You are so misguided.
jamboy

Postby jamboy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:36 am

mump boy wrote:While we're at it, can debunk the fallacy that Mo is getting £750k for the London Marathon

The truth is he 'could' earn 'up t'o £750k from appearance, prize (with time bonuses) and sponsors money for running half the marathon this year and the full one next year. Considering he's already sponsored by Virgin i wouldn't be at all surprised if his current sponsorship isn't mixed up in that figure as well

As for Paula i've never heard of her getting anything like that much for a marathon.

Thanks for pointing that out. Those numbers initially did not make any sense.
jamboy

Postby pakillo » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:35 am

gh wrote:That must be why all the shoe companies cut loose dozens and dozens of athletes this year, to celebrate how much money Bolt is bringing in.

I'm afraid...

I don't know what is to celebrate here, he will help Jamaican poor communities? lol stereotypical argument but seriously, I'd like to see that budget dispersed on other athletes

More ticket sales? Probably only in Rome.
pakillo

Postby eldanielfire » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:47 am

gh wrote:That must be why all the shoe companies cut loose dozens and dozens of athletes this year, to celebrate how much money Bolt is bringing in.

Is this true of Puma?

I'm sure dozens of athletes with little apparent chance of competing globally were case off year in and year out but it has nothing to do with how much their top stars are paid.
eldanielfire

Postby Conor Dary » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:20 pm

eldanielfire wrote:

Is this true of Puma?

I'm sure dozens of athletes with little apparent chance of competing globally were case off year in and year out but it has nothing to do with how much their top stars are paid.

Obvious you don't know much about the shoe business.

I don't know much about Puma, but even in the glory days of the 80's, at Nikeland, track was a niche sport. I suspect it is a lot worse now, with Puma pretty much putting all of their eggs in one basket.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby gh » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:43 pm

eldanielfire wrote:[....

You have a different understanding of economics than I do, apparently. If your budget is X dollars and your No. 1 guy gets 50% of it, then the rest of the athletes split the other 50. If you give A raise to 75%, there's 25% left for everybody else.
gh

Postby rudawal » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:28 pm

marknhj wrote:I don't understand the constant need for Jamaicans to try to demonstrate Bolt's greatness by harping on about the fees he commands. Everyone knows how great he is and a measure of his greatness isn't defined by his earning $x more than he was, or $x more than anyone else. It smacks of a national inferiority complex to me.

Your remark is as asinine as Jamboy's. Many Jamaicans on this board, myself included, would prefer not to be identified in any way with the comments of any other writer, least of all Jamboy - or whatever name he plans to use in his next reincarnation. In future, please address the comments, or the writer if you so choose, and leave your own jingoistic observations out of it.
rudawal

Postby Grasshopper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:26 pm

jamboy wrote:

lol. Jamaicans having an inferiority complex? You are so misguided.

I think Napoleon Complex is more likely what he meant to suggest about certain posters who seem to emulate the likes of Jammin, Notorious, Jamaica50, and Tracknut12.

Wikipedia wrote:Napoleon complex is an informal term describing an alleged type of psychological phenomenon which is said to exist in persons, usually men, of short stature. It is characterized by overly-aggressive or domineering social behavior, and carries the implication that such behavior is compensatory for the subjects' stature. The term is also used more generally to describe people who are driven by a perceived handicap to overcompensate in other aspects of their lives.
Grasshopper

Postby eldanielfire » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:41 pm

gh wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:[....

You have a different understanding of economics than I do, apparently. If your budget is X dollars and your No. 1 guy gets 50% of it, then the rest of the athletes split the other 50. If you give A raise to 75%, there's 25% left for everybody else.

That statement assumes a static budget. With a companies growth in sales comes more profits, bigger shares and the scope for expanded advertising and sponsorship budgets and bigger infrastructure development. When companies hit targets or shoot past them, that usually gives them bigger ones.
eldanielfire

Postby mump boy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:33 am

mump boy

Postby eldanielfire » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:43 am

mump boy wrote:http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/24/us-puma-results-idUSBRE89N09L20121024

So Sales are up, despite bringing out less shoes?

I should add, since that article's data last year Puma has unexpectedly been performing above expectations:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/a4f6e9c8-57e0 ... z2P0iYDRjp
eldanielfire

Postby marknhj » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:03 am

rudawal wrote:

Your remark is as asinine as Jamboy's. Many Jamaicans on this board, myself included, would prefer not to be identified in any way with the comments of any other writer, least of all Jamboy - or whatever name he plans to use in his next reincarnation. In future, please address the comments, or the writer if you so choose, and leave your own jingoistic observations out of it.

And in the future I'd suggest checking a dictionary before using words you obviously don't know the meaning of. Start with jingoistic.
marknhj

Next