Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby fasttrack85 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:29 pm

Allyson says she wants to go faster and doesn't believe the world record is untouchable.

Sanya says she wants to chip away at her American record and see how far she can go.

Shelly believes she can run 10.5(actually she says she knows she can).

Any predictions on who will be successful? Are they dreamers?
fasttrack85
 
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby gh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:05 pm

They're dreaming.
gh
 
Posts: 46321
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby eldanielfire » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:01 pm

In an interview with Ato Boulton Shelly-Ann Frazer Price says she believes she can run 10.5x.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby Flumpy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:40 am

gh wrote:They're dreaming.


THIS^^^
Flumpy
 
Posts: 3899
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby aaronk » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:17 am

fasttrack85 wrote:Allyson says she wants to go faster and doesn't believe the world record is untouchable.

Sanya says she wants to chip away at her American record and see how far she can go.

Shelly believes she can run 10.5(actually she says she knows she can).

Any predictions on who will be successful? Are they dreamers?
gh wrote:They're dreaming.


Not for all three....and only with certain caveats.

Felix--She thinks the 200 record (21.34) is possible. Nope, sorry, Allyson! MAYBE down to the 21.50's. As for the 100 record, whether 10.49 or 10.61, absolutely NOT!!

SRR--I think she could get CLOSE to 47.60, but probably won't get much lower than 48.50. I think Felix has a much better chance at 47.60, mainly because she has more room to slow down from her 200 best....2.11 per 200 as opposed to SRR's 1.71 per 200. It would probably take splits of 22.8 and 24.8....or maybe 23.0 and 24.6.

SAFP--Don't know enough about her to predict, but if you're talking of the WR being 10.61, then....maybe! When she says she can do 10.5, I'd say, at best, maybe 10.59. After all, at the start of 2012, who would have predicted that Aries Merritt could go from the 12.90's all the way to 12.80??
aaronk
 
Posts: 3346
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby bignate88 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:47 am

[quote="fasttrack85"]Allyson says she wants to go faster and doesn't believe the world record is untouchable.

Sanya says she wants to chip away at her American record and see how far she can go.

Shelly believes she can run 10.5(actually she says she knows she can).

Any predictions on who will be successful? Are they dreamers?[/quot I think Felix has a realistic shot at approaching the 200m WR IF and only IF she becomes a force in the 100m dash . Sanya needs to run more 100s and 200s competitively if she wants a real crack at anything close to 48flat SAFP running 10.5 will be a result of her making her top end as serious as her first 40: given some time with the 200, maybe. Rationale can take us only so far however.... Who knows ultimately what these ladies are capable of?
bignate88
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:11 pm

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby peach77 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:52 am

I reckon SAFP could get to 10.5, well, 10.59- it's "only" a tenth faster than her current PB and she's still got a few years left where she could well improve.

Ain't no way Sanya is going to get near that 47.60, though. If Perec couldn't do it, no way she will...
peach77
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:26 am

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby Rog » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:24 am

Sanya's been around for about 10 years, and set her best time ages ago. When she won Olympic Gold last year she was nearly a second outside her own best. Allyson too has been around about 10 years. They've already had long careers and failed to approach world records. It's probably more likely they'll decline or suffer injury hell.

Shelly though is a neophyte by comparison and I could see her running below 10.6, so if you ignore the 10.49 (because of the suspect wind reading) then you could say she may be faster than anyone else in history, at least on the clock.
Rog
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby Sasuke » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:50 am

Well, the only one that I see as approachable is the 200 metres' one. Given that Felix is in her best shape ever helped by a breeze of 1.5 or more I don't see 21.34 as completely impossibile.
If only Carmelita Jeter was 5/6 years younger she could try to better 10.49, she said she would like to try but, given her age, it's better not to push her body too much.

It's not a sprint, but the 800 metres record should be more doable having a match up between the best Semenya (I always think she doesn't push completely), the best Jelimo and the always dangerous Savinova.
Sasuke
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:32 am

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby aaronk » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:10 am

Sasuke wrote:Well, the only one that I see as approachable is the 200 metres' one. Given that Felix is in her best shape ever helped by a breeze of 1.5 or more I don't see 21.34 as completely impossibile.
If only Carmelita Jeter was 5/6 years younger she could try to better 10.49, she said she would like to try but, given her age, it's better not to push her body too much.

It's not a sprint, but the 800 metres record should be more doable having a match up between the best Semenya (I always think she doesn't push completely), the best Jelimo and the always dangerous Savinova.


Opening this discussion to the 800 is probably wrong---it needs another thread....but SRR and Felix might have a better chance of getting the 800 WR than any of the sprint marks.

Two prime examples they could emulate:

Jearl Miles-Clark--49:40 and 1:56.40
Ana Quirot--49.61 and 1:54.44.
aaronk
 
Posts: 3346
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby batonless relay » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:28 am

Better chance? If they don't have the courage to run 400m what makes you think they can run twice that distance? Until they're willing to aim for sub-48.50 by design and not by accident it will NEVER come.

But, I've always drawn a correlation between high school boys and elite women. So, I do see all of the womens records as breakable; however, I see the 400m as going first, then the 200m and the 100m going last. But, they all will go.
batonless relay
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:40 am

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby aaronk » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:52 am

batonless relay wrote:Better chance? If they don't have the courage to run 400m what makes you think they can run twice that distance? Until they're willing to aim for sub-48.50 by design and not by accident it will NEVER come.

But, I've always drawn a correlation between high school boys and elite women. So, I do see all of the womens records as breakable; however, I see the 400m as going first, then the 200m and the 100m going last. But, they all will go.


I agree.
They'd need to run for time....a time trial....rather than race to win.
(Your "by design".)
Maybe someone like Alyssia Montano or Ajee Wilson could do it.
Montano ran that 1:23.59 600 indoors.
She could probably do 1:22 on a 400 meter track.
And she's not afraid to take it out fast. (Even though her 400 is a lot slower than either SRR or Felix!!)
With the added confidence from that 600--especially if she can do that 1:22 outdoors--she just might have that necessary "courage"!!

BTW, what do you mean when you say there's a correlation between HS boys and elite women??
Never heard THAT one before!!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3346
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby batonless relay » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:51 am

aaronk wrote:BTW, what do you mean when you say there's a correlation between HS boys and elite women??
Never heard THAT one before!!

from http://www.athletic.net

42 boys ran under 10.50 in 2012
73 boys ran under 21.35 in 2012
55 boys ran under 47.60 in 2012

-The average 200m PB for boys who ran sub-48.00 but slower than 47.60 is a hair above 22 seconds (guess) with the fastest being 21.59 and the slowest being 22.4x, iirc. Basically, once a high school kid has sub-22.50 speed he has the ability to break 48 seconds. This is the speed of Bryzgina.

-The average 200m PB for boys who ran sub-47.51 but slower than 47.24 is about 21.9 with the slowest being 22.5 and the fastest being 20.9.

-If you look at the average 200m PB of boys who've run faster than 10.70 but slower than 10.64 (C. Jeter has a better PB) you will see times from 22 flat to 21 flat with the average being around 21.4/21.5

Above are just observations but they give insight into what 100m times are required to run approximate 200m times and what 200m times for the 400m. Take a random average of 10 boys between a range and that's what an elite woman MIGHT be able to do in my opinion. Normally, it's a bit better; elite women tend to be better trained than a high school boy and are able to hold their speed and technique longer despite the dis-advantages of having 2 x chromasomes. The problem we have currently is that women don't want to hurt and there is no real incentive to run faster. These women are MILLIONAIRE's from running 50-point and 11-flat.
Last edited by batonless relay on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
batonless relay
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:40 am

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby ATK » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:32 am

All 3 are solid, but I would say the 400 is the "easiest". But I also think the 400 has the least amount of talent at the moment compared to the 100 and 200.
ATK
 
Posts: 3804
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby eldanielfire » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:41 am

ATK wrote:All 3 are solid, but I would say the 400 is the "easiest". But I also think the 400 has the least amount of talent at the moment compared to the 100 and 200.


I'd argue the 200m is easiest by some way. Both the 100m and 400m are more or less as close to impossible as you can get for women.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby gh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:07 am

this thread has been bowdlerized by the mods. Bring up drugs again and bannings will be the order of the day. Thanks for following the rules.
gh
 
Posts: 46321
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby ATK » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:08 am

eldanielfire wrote:
ATK wrote:All 3 are solid, but I would say the 400 is the "easiest". But I also think the 400 has the least amount of talent at the moment compared to the 100 and 200.


I'd argue the 200m is easiest by some way. Both the 100m and 400m are more or less as close to impossible as you can get for women.

Thinking about it again, the 200 and 400 are pretty much very similar. The 200 had tons of women dropping 21's in the early 90's and since then only 5 women since 98 have gone below, and with hardly any frequency this millennium
400 same, tons of women in the 80's, but once the 90s came, only 4 women have gone under 49, and only done about 8 or so times. But its hard to compare the 3 events. Can you say .15 .35 and 1.1 (Jeter, Felix, SRR respective times to the WRs) are equivalent or one is easier than the other?

The 100m looks like it has the most amount of talent and women who can potentially attack it, considering how frequently women have run sub 10.9/10.8 in the past 5 years, and the 400 seems to have the least(only 4 sub 49 in like 25 years...)
ATK
 
Posts: 3804
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby gh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:19 am

It may be that the 200 and 400 are suffering because the sport's business model has changed. The big bucks are overwhelmingly in the 100, and it may well be that it's easier to make money as a second-line century runner than near the top in the two longer dashes. A market economy at work?
gh
 
Posts: 46321
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby aaronk » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:22 am

ATK wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
ATK wrote:All 3 are solid, but I would say the 400 is the "easiest". But I also think the 400 has the least amount of talent at the moment compared to the 100 and 200.


I'd argue the 200m is easiest by some way. Both the 100m and 400m are more or less as close to impossible as you can get for women.

Thinking about it again, the 200 and 400 are pretty much very similar. The 200 had tons of women dropping 21's in the early 90's and since then only 5 women since 98 have gone below, and with hardly any frequency this millennium
400 same, tons of women in the 80's, but once the 90s came, only 4 women have gone under 49, and only done about 8 or so times. But its hard to compare the 3 events. Can you say .15 .35 and 1.1 (Jeter, Felix, SRR respective times to the WRs) are equivalent or one is easier than the other?

The 100m looks like it has the most amount of talent and women who can potentially attack it, considering how frequently women have run sub 10.9/10.8 in the past 5 years, and the 400 seems to have the least(only 4 sub 49 in like 25 years...)


Maybe today's "modern" woman seeks to emulate a MALE role model.....

Usain Bolt!!! :P

(BTW, if you don't "get it"......Bolt HATES running 400's...and runs them VERY slowwwww!!! :D )
aaronk
 
Posts: 3346
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby Marlow » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:25 am

gh wrote:It may be that the 200 and 400 are suffering because the sport's business model has changed. The big bucks are overwhelmingly in the 100, and it may well be that it's easier to make money as a second-line century runner than near the top in the two longer dashes. A market economy at work?

Which is why the IAAF/USATF needs to find a way to make the old WAF model work, where all events are created equal!! [or at least nearly so. I understand that the wHT doesn't have the draw of the m100, but T&F needs to be the egalitarian prototype that it pioneered.] Pie in the sky, I know, but a guy can dream . . . sigh . . .
Marlow
 
Posts: 21081
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby gh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:29 am

??? Things are much more egalitarian, as you put it, under the DL system than they were in the WAF days.

It's now mandated that the number of official DL events throughout the season have a minimum for each event. Women's throwers have never had it so good.

But as good as that is for those competitors in "minor events," I'm not convinced that it's not bad for promotion of the sport overall. When you tell a meet promoter he HAS to have event(s) he doesn't want, and mandates a healthy chunk of your budget go there, that's an event that you may really want that you can't have.

Classic robbing Peter to pay Paul.
gh
 
Posts: 46321
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby batonless relay » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:30 am

I think the .15 is hardest only because of the wind factor. I think the .35 is possible, but Felix (the only current athlete of not I think could get close) would have to lower her 100m PB by .15 to 10.74 and I'm just not sure if I see that. 1.1 is light years away. Not even in the game. And, it's more like 2 seconds when you consider SRR's latest form and not her PB. However, when you consider Brzgina's 48.24 and the fact that she ran it from lane 1 (although chasing the WR holder in lane 2) with less native speed than SRR, it seems doable. I think the athlete most likely to take the 400m American Record down is Felix, not SRR.

If Dee Dee Trotter had Allyson Felix's speed the WORLD RECORD would be gone!
batonless relay
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:40 am

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:45 am

Marlow wrote:
...where all events are created equal!!


Why exactly? I think there are too many events already.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby aaronk » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:48 am

Maybe Mary Cain can fit in a couple of 400's in between her other record-chasing endeavors!! :lol:
aaronk
 
Posts: 3346
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby ATK » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:53 am

gh wrote:It may be that the 200 and 400 are suffering because the sport's business model has changed. The big bucks are overwhelmingly in the 100, and it may well be that it's easier to make money as a second-line century runner than near the top in the two longer dashes. A market economy at work?

Just looking at the past decade, It makes me not understand that. I see Felix, SRR and VCB as the top "all star" sprinters of the past decade and none of them are primarily 100m runners. The idea of the "Fastest Woman in the world" just doesn't seem the same as it does for men.
ATK
 
Posts: 3804
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby kuha » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:57 am

Conor Dary wrote:
Marlow wrote:
...where all events are created equal!!


Why exactly? I think there are too many events already.


I've said many times that, in my opinion, one of the joys of the OLD Euro circuit was the wonderful variety in the "character" of the individual meets. Each meet director had a fair bit of latitude in picking and choosing what to emphasize, what sorts of fields to try to put together, etc. The result was that certain meets became known for their great miles, or 10,000s, or PVs, etc. Few meets really tried to "do it all"--and, as a result, many of them had a truly distinct identity--in today's jargon, a valuable "brand."

Nearly all of that has been lost today, with the dishwater-dull sameness of so many programs--not to mention that "streamlining" of events in at least some big meets.

Of course, I have no answer or solution. The problem is simply there.
kuha
 
Posts: 9016
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 3rd row, on the finish line

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby ATK » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:03 am

batonless relay wrote:I think the .15 is hardest only because of the wind factor. I think the .35 is possible, but Felix (the only current athlete of not I think could get close) would have to lower her 100m PB by .15 to 10.74 and I'm just not sure if I see that. 1.1 is light years away. Not even in the game. And, it's more like 2 seconds when you consider SRR's latest form and not her PB. However, when you consider Brzgina's 48.24 and the fact that she ran it from lane 1 (although chasing the WR holder in lane 2) with less native speed than SRR, it seems doable. I think the athlete most likely to take the 400m American Record down is Felix, not SRR.

If Dee Dee Trotter had Allyson Felix's speed the WORLD RECORD would be gone!

Thats the problem, its hard to gauge and compare the times from the world record.
If SRR was at 48.25 (.65 from the WR) would you say she is closer than Jeter is to FloJo?

And I think Felix's 400 potential is extremely over hyped. She needs to break 49.5 before we start giving her sub 49, let alone the AR.
ATK
 
Posts: 3804
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby Atanvarno » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 am

gh wrote:this thread has been bowdlerized by the mods. Bring up drugs again and bannings will be the order of the day. Thanks for following the rules.


If you really want it that way, you shouldn't allow threads like this one at all. You are doing a grave disservice to the sport if you let current athletes be measured against the yardstick of a world record like that of Marita Koch.
Atanvarno
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Germany

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby batonless relay » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:44 am

ATK wrote:Thats the problem, its hard to gauge and compare the times from the world record.
If SRR was at 48.25 (.65 from the WR) would you say she is closer than Jeter is to FloJo?

And I think Felix's 400 potential is extremely over hyped. She needs to break 49.5 before we start giving her sub 49, let alone the AR.

I agree and that's a good question... I guess my answer is the worst one possible: it depends. I thought Bryzgina looked like Bruny Surin trying to beat Maurice Greene; over her head, but showing her true ability (wasn't she 22 at the time?). So I think Bryzgina could have based upon pace and ability but clearly she couldn't. I think Perec may have been able to break 48, but I don't think Cathy Freeman could have. SRR has the ability but I don't think she has the discipline for the pace - even now her pace is not natural. Felix has the speed and but you can't run sub-48.5 without knowing you can go for it. Before Koch ran 47.60 she had run under 49 thirteen different times and had a 48.16 PB prior to 47.60. Felix is nowhere near that.
batonless relay
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:40 am

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby eldanielfire » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:52 am

gh wrote:It may be that the 200 and 400 are suffering because the sport's business model has changed. The big bucks are overwhelmingly in the 100, and it may well be that it's easier to make money as a second-line century runner than near the top in the two longer dashes. A market economy at work?


The idea of the model changing rings true, however a gold medallist in the women's 200m or 400m will surely bring home more case than a non-gold medallist in the 100m. I would also say this only applies to the USA and Jamaica, in most countries there isn't dozens of medalists any gold is better than none in terms of fame, earning power and attention. The hero factor is the biggest earner in track and field, for example I wouldn't be surprised if Jessica Ennis earned more than Jeter or Frazer-Price women does at the moment for her home Gold and I wouldn't be surprised if Felix wasn't either. Looks might well be important as well for females.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby norunner » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:59 am

The only halfway credible WR prediction i read this year was from Betty Heidler. She said her goal for this year is 80m. She may have to do it early in the season cause i think others are capable of reaching 80 too. She may end up like Riehm in 78, he threw a WR of 80.32 in august but was beaten by Zaichuk by a month who threw 80.14 in july.
Oh, and i just read Hagos Gebrhiwet wants to attack the 5000m WR this year.
norunner
 
Posts: 1277
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby gh » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:23 am

eldanielfire wrote:[....

The idea of the model changing rings true, however a gold medallist in the women's 200m or 400m will surely bring home more case than a non-gold medallist in the 100m.....


When you factor in the difference in appearance fees, the number of meets in which appearance fees will be available and then tack on sponsorship opportunities, and I'm not so sure of that.
gh
 
Posts: 46321
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby CookyMonzta » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:19 pm

gh wrote:They're dreaming.

If Flo's 10.49 was legal, yeah. If not, Shelly has plenty of time (another 2 Olympics, perhaps?) to get close to or break 10.61.
CookyMonzta
 
Posts: 2392
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby CookyMonzta » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:29 pm

aaronk wrote:Maybe Mary Cain can fit in a couple of 400's in between her other record-chasing endeavors!! :lol:

For speedwork or for the record? She ain't getting anywhere near Sanya's HSR 50.69; and with the right conditions and the right race (Adidas at Icahn Stadium, perhaps?), Kadecia Baird would pulverize her and come THISCLOSE to 49.xx! What is Mary's 400 PR, anyway?
CookyMonzta
 
Posts: 2392
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby aaronk » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:35 pm

CookyMonzta wrote:
aaronk wrote:Maybe Mary Cain can fit in a couple of 400's in between her other record-chasing endeavors!! :lol:

For speedwork or for the record? She ain't getting anywhere near Sanya's HSR 50.69; and with the right conditions and the right race (Adidas at Icahn Stadium, perhaps?), Kadecia Baird would pulverize her and come THISCLOSE to 49.xx!


I was JOKING!!
See the laughing face??
I wasn't serious!!

I said that because some folks were saying the 400 record wasn't being broken..because no one was TRYING to break it.
So I facetiously suggested that maybe Cain could take a shot at it!!

I fully agree with you, though!!
Cain's best MIGHT be in the 52 range ......some day!!
Baird going 49??
Some day.....yes!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3346
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby CookyMonzta » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:58 pm

aaronk wrote:
CookyMonzta wrote:
aaronk wrote:Maybe Mary Cain can fit in a couple of 400's in between her other record-chasing endeavors!! :lol:

For speedwork or for the record? She ain't getting anywhere near Sanya's HSR 50.69; and with the right conditions and the right race (Adidas at Icahn Stadium, perhaps?), Kadecia Baird would pulverize her and come THISCLOSE to 49.xx!


I was JOKING!!
See the laughing face??
I wasn't serious!!


I said that because some folks were saying the 400 record wasn't being broken..because no one was TRYING to break it.
So I facetiously suggested that maybe Cain could take a shot at it!!

I fully agree with you, though!!
Cain's best MIGHT be in the 52 range ......some day!!
Baird going 49??
Some day.....yes!

That actually crossed my mind. That's why I asked, "For speedwork or for the record?"
CookyMonzta
 
Posts: 2392
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby Gabriella » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:17 pm

ATK wrote:[But its hard to compare the 3 events. Can you say .15 .35 and 1.1 (Jeter, Felix, SRR respective times to the WRs) are equivalent or one is easier than the other?


But that 0.15 is as you say the difference between Jeter and the WR. Jeter is not going to be improving now. Had she been in that form when younger, she could have gotten close. Her form, technique and speed maintenance over the last 50m was akin to Flo Jo and it's maintaining speed ove the latter part of the race that is needed to get that WR. I dont think SAFP is capable of that.

No woman has ever broken 21.6 other than Flo Jo and I dont see Felix doing it either. Ottey's 21.66 with a -1.0 wind is worth sub 21.6 and probably the closest anyone will ever get to the WR in real terms. Drechsler's 21.71 with a -0.8 wind is worth mid 21.6's & better than Felix's 21.69 with +1.0 wind. It just seems 'around' 21.6-21.7 is the limit for everyone other than Flo Jo.

The 47.60 is off the radar for every one of the current women. SRR set her PB over 6 years ago and as Rog has said she has had a number of years at the top; she will be on the wane soon. Plus her PB is over one second off the WR, that's a huge amount.

In 1985 Bryzgina ran 22.44, 22.46 & 22.53 in 1985. Koch ran 21.78, 21.90 twice, 22.02, 22.03, 22.19, 22.46 and 10.97 over 100m. SRR's speed is closer to Koch's but it's that maintaining speed that's crucial again.
Gabriella
 
Posts: 1681
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:59 am

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby ATK » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:17 pm

Gabriella wrote:
ATK wrote:[But its hard to compare the 3 events. Can you say .15 .35 and 1.1 (Jeter, Felix, SRR respective times to the WRs) are equivalent or one is easier than the other?


But that 0.15 is as you say the difference between Jeter and the WR. Jeter is not going to be improving now. Had she been in that form when younger, she could have gotten close. Her form, technique and speed maintenance over the last 50m was akin to Flo Jo and it's maintaining speed ove the latter part of the race that is needed to get that WR. I dont think SAFP is capable of that.

No woman has ever broken 21.6 other than Flo Jo and I dont see Felix doing it either. Ottey's 21.66 with a -1.0 wind is worth sub 21.6 and probably the closest anyone will ever get to the WR in real terms. Drechsler's 21.71 with a -0.8 wind is worth mid 21.6's & better than Felix's 21.69 with +1.0 wind. It just seems 'around' 21.6-21.7 is the limit for everyone other than Flo Jo.

The 47.60 is off the radar for every one of the current women. SRR set her PB over 6 years ago and as Rog has said she has had a number of years at the top; she will be on the wane soon. Plus her PB is over one second off the WR, that's a huge amount.

In 1985 Bryzgina ran 22.44, 22.46 & 22.53 in 1985. Koch ran 21.78, 21.90 twice, 22.02, 22.03, 22.19, 22.46 and 10.97 over 100m. SRR's speed is closer to Koch's but it's that maintaining speed that's crucial again.

The .15 was just used because Jeter is still active, and still running some of the fastest times ever. We cant really say if she will get faster nor not because even though she is "old" she has really only been competing at such a high level for about 5 years so she dosent have that wear and tear like VCB for example would.

But I pretty much agree with you on all your points. all 3 records are out of reach until a Bolt like female comes around, and even then, that may not be enough.
ATK
 
Posts: 3804
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby fasttrack85 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:17 pm

My thread has taken off without me.

Personally I don't see any of them breaking any records. However watching them try is where all the fun will be at. For me it is not enough for them to just win anymore(been there done that). The fast times is the only thing that will make there races interesting from this point on.

For some reason I see Allyson being able to improve her 200 pr by a decent amount if she continues 100/200 training. Her 21.69 was not run in the best of conditions. It was cold, rainy,wet and she was dealing with the emotional turmoil of the tie with Jenenba Tarmoh that still was left to be solved. On top of that looming over her was the whole notion that she had to win gold in London or else she may never be an olympic gold medalist in an individual event. Now she can just run with a free spirit. Those long elegant strides may yet see her all the way down to around 21.50 flat however I think getting over that hump into 21.4 or 21.3 might be a bit over her head until she takes a visit to Victor Conte.

I think Shelly on a good day can prob run a 10.5x high and that would be the true world record but not the official one. If she has a solid start and continues her 200 training all the pieces will come together. She ran 10.75 in London with a very average start( VCB got out way ahead of her and she might have been a little behind Jeter and Madison). She ran 10.73(0.1) with little wind and no 200 training. She also ran 10.70 on a track that is not as fast as many of the international tracks. There is def some upside for her considering she is only 26 and is probably entering peak years around now.

Sanya I am not sure what to make of her. Statistically 2012 should have been her fastest year. Her 200 meter was solid last year so she should have been worth about 48.50 however she didn't even go 49 flat much less sub 49. Sanyas issue is that she has not mastered pacing and probably never will. If Ohurugu or Monthso had her speed they would be sub 49 everytime they step on the track. On the other hand if Krivoshapka had her speed she would be sub 49 as well because she literally runs within an inch of her life but uses up all her speed reserve by around 300. It will just be interesting to see the numbers she drops when she runs for times and not for wins.
fasttrack85
 
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Top Female Sprinters eyeing world records.

Postby ZELLGADISS » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:52 pm

Well i think that WR 10.61 is possible.
10.49 in my opinion is impossible directly hehe, but we know that that time is not "real" was with big hurricane :lol:
ZELLGADISS
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:13 am

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], meatball, olorin and 13 guests