Wild FIFA WC qualifier: US-Costa Rica

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Wild FIFA WC qualifier: US-Costa Rica

Postby BillVol » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:36 pm

Game on now and I'm switching back and forth b/t hoops and this match. Lots of snow. I think the game is being played in Denver. The officials decided to stop the match at around the 55 minute mark, but players and coaches protested, so they resumed play!

US is beating the "Ticos," 1-nil, at the 64 minute mark. As I understand it, this is a must win for the gringos.
BillVol

Re: Wild FIFA WC qualifier: US-Costa Rica

Postby lonewolf » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:33 pm

I accidentally surfed through that game and could not figure out where it was being played. For an instant, I thought there was something wrong with the brightness or contrast on my TV or the camera, then realized it was snowing.. hard.
lonewolf

Postby Pego » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:33 am

It was in Denver. What sort of genius would schedule an important soccer match in Denver in March :shock: :roll: ? Those conditions were horrible.
Pego

Postby Marlow » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:21 am

Pego wrote:It was in Denver. What sort of genius would schedule an important soccer match in Denver in March :shock: :roll: ? Those conditions were horrible.

And they favored the USA, so QED.
Marlow

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:19 am

Pego wrote:It was in Denver. What sort of genius would schedule an important soccer match in Denver in March :shock: :roll: ? Those conditions were horrible.

The problem with games in the US, and rather unique I might add for the Americans, is finding venues where most of the supporters are supporting them and not their opponents. I know a game in Chicago with Mexico would definitely have most of the fans supporting Mexico.

Game was fascinating to watch. The weather kept getting worse. A game in those conditions in England would definitely had been called off. Bravo to CR for wanting to continuing on, and the refs for letting them.
Last edited by Conor Dary on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:06 am

After losing now Costa Rica is complaining. They had their chance last night during the game, when the ref stopped it.

http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/2 ... ref=soccer

That sort of explains why they agreed to play on. Two bites at the apple. If they drew or won last night fine. If not protest afterwards.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Futbol in Blizzard Like U.S. Football/Costa Rica Protests

Postby bijanc » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:08 pm

They played football under horrific conditions in Colorado last night, and the U.S. won:

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/2012781
bijanc

Re: Futbol in Blizzard Like U.S. Football/Costa Rica Protest

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:20 pm

bijanc wrote:They played football under horrific conditions in Colorado last night, and the U.S. won:

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/2012781

I think we got that already.
Conor Dary

Postby bijanc » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:28 am

Oops, I missed the subject line because of the lead word "Wild".
bijanc

Postby BillVol » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:36 am

bijanc wrote:Oops, I missed the subject line because of the lead word "Wild".

Well, just for future reference, I start all my subject lines with "wild." :lol:
BillVol