USA senior men's X-C upset Kenyans!!!!

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

USA senior men's X-C upset Kenyans!!!!

Postby Jnathletics » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:00 am

It really is March Madness, As the USA Men's Team just finished 2nd at the World X-C championships!!!!!

ETH 38
USA 52
KEN 54
Jnathletics

Re: USA senior men's X-C upset Kenyans!!!!

Postby Jnathletics » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:05 am

Congrat's to the guys!!!

Team USA had an incredible last lap: Ben True in 6th, Chris Derrick in 10th, Ryan Vail in 17th and Robert Mack in 19th for an overall score of 52 points!
Jnathletics

Postby lionelp1 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:06 am

Outstanding performance by the USA team, so now we can ignore the crap about only Africans.....
Beat the Kenyans :D .. thats about as expected as a clean Turkish athlete.
lionelp1

Postby nevetsllim » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:13 am

Yes. A great result indeed. You could say the Kenyans weren't anywhere near as strong as they could be and that's true, but it wasn't the best US team either.
nevetsllim

Postby nevetsllim » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:23 am

I didn't realise until today Neely Spence is the daughter of marathon-runner Steve Spence.
nevetsllim

Postby TN1965 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:36 am

Ben True has proved that having a skiing background is a great asset in a race under snowy conditions. :wink:
TN1965

Postby aaronk » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:48 am

TN1965 wrote:Ben True has proved that having a skiing background is a great asset in a race under snowy conditions. :wink:

Well then, I guess famed Bobsledder Lolo Jones woulda done okay today, eh? :P :P
aaronk

Postby Master Po » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:58 am

TN1965 wrote:Ben True has proved that having a skiing background is a great asset in a race under snowy conditions. :wink:

Interesting point -- I realize you may have stated this in jest, but I would be interested to know if he thinks that helped him. It was a challenging course, in terms of terrain (hills, S-curves) and footing -- by the time of the Sr men's race, the course was much more of a mess. I don't think I saw anyone fall in the first three races, but some went down in the men's race. I would think such a background might well have helped a bit. In any case, he ran an outstanding race, and really hung in there after the top 5 gapped him. Once that happened I thought perhaps he would fade and be caught, but he ran a very strong race.
Master Po

Postby gcheves » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:51 am

are we really there yet?? A few Kenyan notables did not participate this year and there is still a wide margin between their top performer and ours.

Men's Top 10

1. Japhet Kipyegon Korir (Kenya) 32:45

2. Imane Merga (Ethiopia) 32:51

3. Teklemariam Medhin (Eritrea)

4. Moses Ndiema Kipsiro (Uganda) 33:08

5. Timothy Toroitich (Uganda) 33:09

6. Ben True (U.S.) 33:11

7. Goitom Kifle (Eritrea) 33:16

8. Collis Birmingham (Australia) 33:18

9. Feyisa Lilesa (Ethiopia) 33:22

10. Chris Derrick (U.S.) 33:23
gcheves

Postby Master Po » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:12 am

As has been pointed out already, a few USA notables also did not participate. These are the teams the nations sent, and these are the results. If by getting "there" you mean to suggest any sort of parity with the Kenyans (or Ethiopians) across all the various distance competitions, then no, of course we're not there, and we likely never will be, any more than other countries are likely to achieve any sort of parity with Jamaica & the USA in sprints. That said, it's possible for athletes from the non-dominant nations to do well on occasion, as this meet has shown and as we saw in some of the events in the OG.

Over the last 2+ decades, most nations that formerly produced some top distance runners have not "simply" failed to keep up with the Kenyan and Ethiopian rise to dominance (no one has kept up with that), but rather most haven't even kept up with their own nations' previous standards of excellence. The USA is an exception to this, as we have seen some significant progress, e.g., in some national records, in new additions to all-time top-10 lists in several events, and some medals in international competitions. I'm proud of what these athletes are doing.
Master Po

Postby unclezadok » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:27 pm

Well said, Master.
unclezadok

Postby rsb2 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:46 pm

Huge props. to the Americans - they ran great! But it is sad to see a Senior Men's race with less than 100 runners. Who would have imagined, a few years back, that we would see a Senior race at a Worlds in Europe without France, Ireland, Belgium, Russia, Portugal, Italy, Sweden, Finland, Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, and others I am sure I have missed. Shame on these guys, they have just given up!
rsb2

Postby AS » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:48 pm

rsb2 wrote:Huge props. to the Americans - they ran great! But it is sad to see a Senior Men's race with less than 100 runners. Who would have imagined, a few years back, that we would see a Senior race at a Worlds in Europe without France, Ireland, Belgium, Russia, Portugal, Italy, Sweden, Finland, Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, and others I am sure I have missed. Shame on these guys, they have just given up!

Also no NZ
AS

Postby lovetorun » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:16 pm

Yes a great result for our men...but I couldn't help but wonder if we would have been able to add Rupp and a healthy Solinsky to our team...maybe chance to win?
lovetorun

Postby tandfman » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:52 pm

As I pointed out in another thread, all we might have needed was the two guys who finished second and third in the US XC Championships, which served as the trial competition for the WXC. Ritzenhein and Tegenkamp qualified for the team but turned it down.
tandfman

Postby nztrackfan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:49 pm

Maybe the top Kenyans are no longer prioritising Cross-country - especially in the Senior Men's grade. They're busy doing marathons, half-marathons and other money-making races. The Ethiopians were also down on previous performances - possibly for similar reasons. And don't forget the Kenyans did win 5 of the 8 titles at stake in Poland, so are still clearly on top overall.
nztrackfan

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:51 am

It was a good thing the meet wasn't in Durham this year.

An office worker was found dead after collapsing in the snow on the way home from a pub - in the second death of its kind within hours in Arctic Britain.

Meanwhile, a family with a baby were forced to burn furniture to stay warm after becoming trapped without power during the weekend of freezing weather and snow. The four were airlifted out of their hillside farm near Gwyddelwen, Denbighshire, yesterday from the 10ft drifts by an RAF rescue helicopter.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -warm.html
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby TN1965 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:46 am

tandfman wrote:As I pointed out in another thread, all we might have needed was the two guys who finished second and third in the US XC Championships, which served as the trial competition for the WXC. Ritzenhein and Tegenkamp qualified for the team but turned it down.

I don't think Tegenkamp would have made a difference, since he was 2 second behind Eliiot Heath in the indoor 5000m in NYC. (22 sec. behind Derrick.)

He irritated his hip during this race, and missed a week of training. If I am not mistaken, he was planning to compete in World XC before that injury.
TN1965

Postby Daisy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:50 am

Conor Dary wrote:
    The four were airlifted out of their hillside farm near Gwyddelwen, Denbighshire, yesterday from the 10ft drifts by an RAF rescue helicopter.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -warm.html

I thought this was fake, at first, but apparently this county was established in 1996.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denbighshire

An interesting little factoid from the article is:
Denbighshire has the distinction of being the oldest inhabited part of Wales. Pontnewydd (Bontnewydd-Llanelwy) Palaeolithic site has remains of Neanderthals from 225,000 years ago.
Daisy

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:06 am

Fake! Actually I hadn't heard of the county either. A friend of mine in Sheffield sent me the link, but with a town called Gwyddelwen it has to be in Wales.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby AS » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:15 pm

A nice background piece on 8th placed Aussie Collis Birmingham:

http://runnerstribe-statscentral.com/co ... e-success/
AS

Postby CookyMonzta » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:24 pm

nztrackfan wrote:Maybe the top Kenyans are no longer prioritising Cross-country - especially in the Senior Men's grade. They're busy doing marathons, half-marathons and other money-making races. The Ethiopians were also down on previous performances - possibly for similar reasons. And don't forget the Kenyans did win 5 of the 8 titles at stake in Poland, so are still clearly on top overall.

Maybe not. But John Ngugi (Seoul 1988 champ in the 5,000) is pissed...

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news ... n-teamwork
CookyMonzta

Postby Jnathletics » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:22 am

CookyMonzta wrote:Maybe not. But John Ngugi (Seoul 1988 champ in the 5,000) is pissed...

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news ... n-teamwork

Thanks for the link, you too AS.

Its good to see others are still interested in X-C. :D
Jnathletics