Cleveland

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Cleveland

Postby DoubleRBar » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:03 am

Happy birthday today (Saturday) to an Olympic champion who was only about 5' 5 1/4" (1.66) tall.

Our birthday athlete was born 127 years ago today and died almost 71 years ago.

Forget the hurdles when trying to figure which event this person did.

Four years after winning Olympic gold, this champion competed in the next Olympic Games, but did not make the final eight.

Abraham Lincoln and our birthday athlete died at the same age.

Born in a U.S. state beginning with the letter "I", our birthday person died in a different U.S. state beginning with the letter "I".

Only 22 years old when winning the Olympic gold medal, this champion won the Olympic gold medal on a Wednesday.

Death came to this athlete on a Friday during World War II (not killed in the war).

Grover Cleveland was the president of the United States when our birthday person was born.

Don't worry about the shot put, triple jump, or javelin when thinking of our athlete's event.

The two-word name for the marketing of seafood from our oceans shares the same initials as our birthday person.

A Tuesday in March is when this champion was born.

In winning the Olympic gold medal, our birthday person set an Olympic record.

Percy Knox matched the mystery athlete's winning Olympic mark when he won the 1987 California state high school champion in the same event.

Skip the pole vault, discus, and steeplechase when you are thinking about the athlete's event.

Jorma Valkama also matched our birthday athlete's winning Olympic mark when he took the bronze medal at the 1956 Olympics in Melbourne.

Did I tell you that you can forget the marathon and all the relays when wondering about our athlete's event?

Who is the person born today some 127 years ago and why are we still talking about this athlete?
DoubleRBar

Re: Cleveland

Postby rhymans » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:06 am

I'm taking an educated guess that it's Frank Irons, winner of the 1908 LJ - He was certainly a little fellow, and the letter I seemed to predominate in your question
rhymans

Re: Cleveland

Postby DoubleRBar » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:39 pm

You are very good, rhymans. Yes, it is Frank Irons, winner of the long jump in London over 100 years ago. He won the event with a leap of 7.48 or 24' 6 1/2". Both Irons and Lincoln were 56 years old when they died.
DoubleRBar