Tourney schools ranked by 'coolest person who went there'

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Tourney schools ranked by 'coolest person who went there

Postby DrJay » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:59 am

I'd pick Michael Jordan over Nurse Ratched for UNC. Thirteeen foot jump shot with 17 seconds to go to beat Georgetown in 1982 as a frosh? Pretty cool.
DrJay

Postby cullman » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:28 pm

jhc68 wrote:Re: UCLA... Jackie Robinson was way cooler than James Dean and so was Woody Strode!

Woody Strode may have been the coolest person on earth. Cooler than Bing and Miles IMHO. :)
cullman

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:03 pm

cullman wrote:
jhc68 wrote:Re: UCLA... Jackie Robinson was way cooler than James Dean and so was Woody Strode!

Woody Strode may have been the coolest person on earth. Cooler than Bing and Miles IMHO. :)

Quite something in The Professionals.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby gh » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:06 pm

I fell in love with Woody Strode in elementary school, watching a potboiler called The Last Voyage (Robert Stack, Dorothy Malone). As the ocean liner goes down, with Malone trapped below decks, a no-shirted Woody hauls some acetylene tanks over the side of the ship. I had no idea anybody could be built like that.

He showed some serious acting chops in Sergeant Rutledge though.

Of course, if you're a track fan (oh, wait, if you're reading this, you are one) you'll think of what kind of decathlete he might have been. He was 4th in the '38 NCAA shot for UCLA, but before that, how about the Cali State Meet of '33, when he was 2nd in the shot and 4th in the 220 hurdles?!
gh

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:23 pm

I remember watching The Last Voyage way way back on a black and white tv. I forgot WS was the guy who helped the Stack and Malone out.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby bijanc » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:35 pm

Temple: Bill Cosby rather than Wendt. Guy Rodgers was more cool than Wendt.
UCLA: Kareem or Florence above Jimmy Dean
NC State: David Thompson
UNC: Tom Wicker, Charlie Rose, David Brinkley (if Pres. Wilson was cool...)
IU: Mark Spitz or Mark Cuban over Lee Majors
Akron: Nate Thurmond
Davidson: Mike Maloy
Memphis: Larry " Dr. K" Kenon is their coolest product. Tubby Finch and Penny Hardaway were cooler than Lawler
bijanc

Previous