Adams and Gill win at NZ Champs

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Adams and Gill win at NZ Champs

Postby Tuariki » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:50 pm

New Zealand Champs

Val Adams won with 20.37 with a consistent series with all 6 throws 20.18 or better. I understand she is in the middle of a heavy build up in preparation for the upcoming European season and world champs later in the year. From the observation of this non-shot putting eye she looked strong and powerful but didn't appear to have any "snap", which would reflect, I guess, someone in the middle of a heavy build up.

Jacko didn't fire at all today wining with his worst throw for several years 20.53 in the u20 men. He won the world juniors at Moncton 3 years ago with 20.76 when he was just 15. This was his first competition since his injury in December. I was sitting with his parents during the competition. Jacko's Dad, Walter,told me the injury was a lot worse than at first realised. His training was extremely limited for 6 weeks and evidently he still has quite a lot of scar tissue on the ankle.

Technically, even to this formerly skinny long jumper, he looked awful today. it seemed to me his upper body was ahead of his feet and his left shoulder was lower than the right shoulder. All of his 6 throws were very flat. He had a couple of warm up throws in the vicinity of 21 metres.

His Dad tells me it is going to be a "shit" couple of days in the Gill household as they will have to put up with Jacko venting his frustrations. Dad,Walter, says Jacko was expecting to throw very well today but still expected to hot 21.50m. He is off to Sweden next week for intense training as he builds up for the senior world champs. New Zealand's automatic qualifying standard for Moscow is 20.60m.

Jacko is not competing in the senior men's tomorrow. That title should be won by young Tom Walsh, now 21 years old and hoping to get over 20m for the first time. Walsh threw 19.83m recently.
Tuariki