You Had To Be Better Than The Best

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

You Had To Be Better Than The Best

Postby DoubleRBar » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:03 am

Happy birthday today (Wednesday) to an Olympic champion who won the gold medal on a Monday, was born on a Tuesday, and died on a Wednesday.

Born during an Olympic year 85 years ago today, our birthday athlete died at the age of 74.

You can forget the hurdles when trying to figure which event our Olympic champion did.

This person went to the same school as did Condoleezza Rice and Neil Simon.

Actually Neil Simon and our birthday athlete may have been at this school together for one year.

A NCAA champion, this athlete did not win the Olympic Trials.

The 1965 California state high school champion (in the same event in which our birthday athlete won Olympic gold) won with a performance that almost matched our birthday athlete's gold medal mark.

Our birthday athlete was a pretty good golfer and while in college was called "a one-man track team".

In terms of elevation, our birthday person's college has the second highest telescope in the world at 14,148 feet.

Don't concern yourself with any of the weight events when trying to figure our birthday athlete's event.

At the Olympic Games, our birthday athlete was definitely not the favorite. This athlete was not even the top person from this athlete's nation.

Only 24 years old at the time this person won the Olympic gold medal, our birthday star won the event during the third round.

Who is this Olympic champion born 85 years ago this very day?
DoubleRBar

Re: You Had To Be Better Than The Best

Postby KDFINE » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:31 am

The clues you give point to someone born in 1928. At the age of 24 he competed in Helsinki. Not a thrower implies that by winning in the third round this person was a jumper. The thought came to me who it might be so I googled the name and realized that my guess is correct. Since its somewhat of a guess (I didn't even know this person was deceased) and wasn't a certainty on my part I'll refrain from naming him.
KDFINE

Postby DoubleRBar » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:12 am

KDFINE, I believe you do know him.
DoubleRBar

Postby Per Andersen » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:06 pm

Jerome Biffle. He beat one of the biggest favorites of the '52 Games, George Brown. Was even ranked behind Meredith Gourdine who finished second.
That third round hint clinched it for me. Had to be the LJ.
Per Andersen

Postby DoubleRBar » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:39 am

Nice going, Per Andersen. Yes, yesterday was the birthday of Jerome Biffle who won the 1952 Olympic long jump. He did defeat the big favorite George Brown, but then, everyone in the final beat Brown since George Brown fouled all three final jumps.
DoubleRBar