Ban bullfighting nations from OGs?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Ban bullfighting nations from OGs?

Postby BillVol » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:32 am

If we can ban South Africa from the OGs for apartheid, why can't we ban nations that allow bullfighting? What are there, three nations? Spain, Mexico, maybe Colombia or Venezuela?

I know this could become a case of tit for tat, but whatever the US does wrong is not as bad as bullfighting. People might say that the US allows the death penalty. Therefore ban them from the OGs. Or Saudi Arabia does not extend full rights to women, so ban them. Maybe valid points.

But let's start with bullfighting. How do we allow nations that allow this to participate in the OGs?
BillVol

Re: Ban bullfighting nations from OGs?

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:43 am

BillVol wrote:If we can ban South Africa from the OGs for apartheid, why can't we ban nations that allow bullfighting? What are there, three nations? Spain, Mexico, maybe Colombia or Venezuela?

I know this could become a case of tit for tat, but whatever the US does wrong is not as bad as bullfighting. People might say that the US allows the death penalty. Therefore ban them from the OGs. Or Saudi Arabia does not extend full rights to women, so ban them. Maybe valid points.

But let's start with bullfighting. How do we allow nations that allow this to participate in the OGs?

In a country that eats hamburgers and likes a good steak I am not sure this will go far.

And invading Iraq, on false premises, is the same as bullfighting?
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Flumpy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:13 am

BillVol wrote:If we can ban South Africa from the OGs for apartheid, why can't we ban nations that allow bullfighting?

As the kids would say - I Just Can't!!!
Flumpy

Postby tandfman » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:25 am

BillVol wrote:But let's start with bullfighting.

Better yet, let's not start.

As you pointed out, our country accepts the death penalty. It's banned in Spain and many other countries--maybe half of the countries in the Olympics.

Enough said.
tandfman

Postby br » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:43 am

Why stop there? Let's ban all the whaling countries of the world. Ban Mexico, Cuba, Peru, Brazil, Thailand, the Philippines, Japan, India, France and a host of others for having legal cockfighting. Ban Brazil for cutting down the Amazon rain forests.
br

Postby Tuariki » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:03 pm

So BillVol, I guess you subscribe to the theory that bullfighting is worse than water boarding, kidnapping people and sending them to a third country to be tortured, invading countries to secure US access to natural resources, etc etc.
Just what we need in sport. Let's have sports run by animal activist nut cases.
Tuariki

Postby mump boy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:58 am

I'm all for banning Saudi Arabia and any other country that doesn't let women compete equally in sport but Bullfighting :? :?
mump boy

Postby DrJay » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:41 am

I think bullfighting is more likely to be added to the OG as a sport than nations which allow it are to be banned from the Games.
DrJay

Postby Pego » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:10 am

DrJay wrote:I think bullfighting is more likely to be added to the OG as a sport than nations which allow it are to be banned from the Games.

Sounds good. Running with the bulls and bull-riding could be added to form a Bovining Federation.
Pego

Postby Marlow » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:51 am

As much as I root for the bulls to gore the matador (I see it as a competitive sport in which the bull is the underdog and thereby worthy of our rooting interest - which is my disingenuous way of saying I hate this 'sport' (sic)), the idea of kicking someone out of the IOC because of it is, of course, ludicrous.
Marlow

Postby DrJay » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:00 am

Pego wrote:
DrJay wrote:I think bullfighting is more likely to be added to the OG as a sport than nations which allow it are to be banned from the Games.

Sounds good. Running with the bulls and bull-riding could be added to form a Bovining Federation.

Another triathlon. Throw in 4-H and a George Foreman Grillmaster competition and it's a pentathlon.
DrJay

Postby BillVol » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:48 am

Let me ask this. How is the way Saudi Arabia discriminates any different than the way South Africa did? Why don't we boot SA out of the Games until they extend full rights to women?
BillVol

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:49 am

BillVol wrote:Let me ask this. How is the way Saudi Arabia discriminates any different than the way South Africa did? Why don't we boot SA out of the Games until they extend full rights to women?

They have more oil.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Pego » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:14 am

Conor Dary wrote:
BillVol wrote:Let me ask this. How is the way Saudi Arabia discriminates any different than the way South Africa did? Why don't we boot SA out of the Games until they extend full rights to women?

They have more oil.

Not to mention the gifts of appreciation to the IOC members.
Pego