Who's the best team in college basketball this year?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Who's the best team in college basketball this year?

Postby dukehjsteve » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:38 pm

bambam wrote:
DrJay wrote:And some are saying Dook should still be a #1 seed. What a wild tournament we are about to see.

I thought the Tar Heel guys pronounced it "Day-ook"

There's no joy in Mudville...... :(
dukehjsteve

Postby bambam » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:42 pm

dukehjsteve wrote:There's no joy in Mudville...... :(

There is more day yet to dawn. The sun is but a morning star.
bambam

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:45 am

Ducks win the Pac12.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby DrJay » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:04 am

bambam wrote:
dukehjsteve wrote:There's no joy in Mudville...... :(

There is more day yet to dawn. The sun is but a morning star.

I am moved to tears...
DrJay

Postby DrJay » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:04 am

I think Miami deserves a #1 seed. When they are on, they're as good as any team in the country.

My Heels acquitted themselves well the latter half of the season. Roy took an average team and made them a very good team.
DrJay

Postby Tuariki » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:24 pm

DrJay wrote:I think Miami deserves a #1 seed. When they are on, they're as good as any team in the country.

While I agree Miami should be ahead of Duke, I don't think anyone in that conference deserves a #1 seed. And to say when they are on, they are as good as any team in the country - well that descriptive fits about 20 or so teams.Eg Wisconsin
Tuariki

Postby gh » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:45 pm

gh wrote:d, none of the above (above = all NCAA teams), meaning that this year's bracketology is going to be wild-wild-wild.

bump!
gh

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:08 pm

DrJay wrote:My Heels acquitted themselves well the latter half of the season. Roy took an average team and made them a very good team.

Average? How many high school all-americans does he have? McDonald's all americans? Blue chippers?
Bruce Kritzler

Postby KevinM » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:03 pm

Bruce Kritzler wrote:
DrJay wrote:My Heels acquitted themselves well the latter half of the season. Roy took an average team and made them a very good team.

Average? How many high school all-americans does he have? McDonald's all americans? Blue chippers?

And pre-season 10th or so in most polls.

And is the committee screwing with Roy, KU fans, or both with the possible 2nd round matchup (in KC!)?
KevinM

Postby 26mi235 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:05 pm

Bruce Kritzler wrote:

Give them the talent that Wisconsin typically gets and I think that Roy would almost certainly get them over .500 if they have an easy enough pre-league schedule.

As for Wisconsin, they came within 5 minutes of getting it done- beating 3 Top-10 teams on consecutive days, and beating a number 1 seed twice, a number 2? twice, a 3 8 twice, 9, ... ? just guesses at seeds.

On the other hand, why do people think that Gonzaga is a number 1 seed? Looking down their schedule, they hardly beat any teams of note. They lost to Illinois at home by double digits (8th place Big Ten?), beat OkState by one, beat K State, and lost to Butler. Thus, they are 2-2 against even moderately good teams. I would suppose that there would be arguments for a 4th seed; a guaranteed 1 seed seems absurd, as does #1 ranking.

[And now they get a #5 seed where they have to play the number 4 seed essentially 'at home'.]
Last edited by 26mi235 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
26mi235

Postby Tuariki » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:53 pm

Tuariki wrote:Top 4 seeds should be Gonzaga, Indiana, Louisville and Kansas - even if the last 3 lose their conference title games.

Wish I was as successful at picking winners on the stock market
Tuariki

Postby DrJay » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:55 pm

KevinM wrote:
Bruce Kritzler wrote:

And pre-season 10th or so in most polls.

And is the committee screwing with Roy, KU fans, or both with the possible 2nd round matchup (in KC!)?

Yes, average. Lost four starters, including their two big men and their point guard. Current point guard (Paige) is a freshman. McAdoo clearly a great player. Hairston and Bullock looked to be solid but no guarantees about how they'd play this year. Strickalnd sometimes shows up, sometimes doesn't. Leslie Macdonald missed all of last year with an ACL tear.Top ten preseason ranking was WAY optimistic...they were overrated. They have exceeded the expectations of every UNC fan I know.
DrJay

Postby mcgato » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:14 am

I like looking at an RPI table like the one linked:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi
I especially like the record against teams ranked 1-25, 26-50, and 51-100. Gives an idea of how many good teams were played and how they did against them.

Some fun things that pop out:
--North Carolina is 1-7 against teams ranked 1-25, and 1-1 against teams ranked 26-50. So they are 2-8 against the top 50 in the RPI. Not very good.
--Florida is 1-2 against 1-25, and 4-2 against 26-50. Combined 5-4 against the top 50, not very good for a 3 seed. And Florida frequently crashes out early.
--Gonzaga is slightly better, going 1-1 against 1-25, and 5-1 against 26-50. Gonzaga has historically done better in the tournament as a low seed.
--Syracuse is 2-5 against 1-25, and 4-3 against 26-50. A combined 6-8 against the top 50, which is not good for a 4 seed.

Lots of other fun things to see. Click on a team to see the breakdown of each of the columns. I like to use it to help me see who the possible pretenders are in the field. Other things that I look for is poor free throw shooting teams who tend to lose games because of it. Also how teams do at home versus the road.
mcgato

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:20 am

Wisconsin has won seven games against teams ranked 15 and higher; a quick count tallies up five losses, two each to Michigan State and Ohio State (with one win). It is possible for Wisconsin to face OSU for a fourth time in two weeks.
26mi235

Postby donley2 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:38 am

26mi235 wrote:Wisconsin has won seven games against teams ranked 15 and higher; a quick count tallies up five losses, two each to Michigan State and Ohio State (with one win). It is possible for Wisconsin to face OSU for a fourth time in two weeks.

I will guarantee you the guys who hope to be on the other end of the potential 4/5 matchup (Kansas State) are not excited about this at all. You guys have ended our season twice in the past 4 or 5 years already. We saw the bracket and were like "NOT AGAIN".
donley2

Postby bijanc » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:25 am

If I were coaching a VCU (or Holy Cross or Cornell, which also gave them scares in the 2000's)vs. a Kansas, a George Mason vs. a Michigan State, or a Fla. Gulf Coast against G'town, I'd tell my kids:

"Next year at this time, you'll be watching a couple of those players in the other locker room, on tv in the NBA. Right now they're in college just like you. You have an opportunity, by winning today, to not only advance- but to be able to tell your children, co-workers, and grandchildren, I played on a team that beat (New Mexico). Let's go out there and play forty minutes of basketball and get 'er done!"

In other words, the programs where the kids stay the longest, have no fear of Big East and ACC schools (witness Duke's early exit last year).
bijanc

Previous