Who's the best team in college basketball this year?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Who's the best team in college basketball this year?

Postby spammer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:38 am

Who's the best team in college basketball this year? Miami, Duke, Indiana, Michigan, Georgetown, Michigan State, Gonzaga, Florida, Arizona, or Louisville? I didn't include Syracuse because Georgetown looks like they're better.
spammer

Re: Who's the best team in college basketball this year?

Postby lonewolf » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:24 am

Changes week to week... has there been a year with so many # 1s ?
?
lonewolf

Postby gh » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:33 am

d, none of the above (above = all NCAA teams), meaning that this year's bracketology is going to be wild-wild-wild.
gh

Postby bambam » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:14 pm

If Duke gets Kelly back soon, Duke is the best - I admit I'm biased but I really believe that this year. The other guys have really stepped up with him out.
bambam

Postby DecFan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:54 pm

With no dominant team, this year may be when the Butler/VCU/George Mason/Davidson mid-major that makes a deep run in the tournament goes all the way. I hope so.
DecFan

Postby dukehjsteve » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:00 pm

bambam wrote:If Duke gets Kelly back soon, Duke is the best - I admit I'm biased but I really believe that this year. The other guys have really stepped up with him out.

Well said bambam. And I hope you are right !
dukehjsteve

Postby DrJay » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:34 pm

bambam wrote:If Duke gets Kelly back soon, Duke is the best - I admit I'm biased but I really believe that this year. The other guys have really stepped up with him out.

Text from my UNC roomie during the UNC-Duke game: "If Duke is the second-best team in the country, this is a bad year for college hoops."
DrJay

Postby donley2 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:01 pm

spammer wrote:Who's the best team in college basketball this year? Miami, Duke, Indiana, Michigan, Georgetown, Michigan State, Gonzaga, Florida, Arizona, or Louisville? I didn't include Syracuse because Georgetown looks like they're better.

I hesitate to mention this since they are the most hated rival of my alma mater, but Kansas almost certainly should be in that conversation. Here is a an article I found interesting with some back up from some of the computer rankings and other miscellany.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... lity-cliff
donley2

Postby spammer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:05 pm

donley2 wrote:
spammer wrote:Who's the best team in college basketball this year? Miami, Duke, Indiana, Michigan, Georgetown, Michigan State, Gonzaga, Florida, Arizona, or Louisville? I didn't include Syracuse because Georgetown looks like they're better.

I hesitate to mention this since they are the most hated rival of my alma mater, but Kansas almost certainly should be in that conversation. Here is a an article I found interesting with some back up from some of the computer rankings and other miscellany.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... lity-cliff

You're right, I have no idea how I forgot to mention Kansas, they're probably my pick for best team and favorite to win it all.

ikyydjws09 wrote:Mxzunn Daypxkcy Vtuzsmloqh how to get pregnant Ivylkameu Zybnrpmj Bymgvzxrf http://howtogetpregnant342.webs.com
Wihfbt Hxtvzxin Xtgnvzhcii how do you get pregnant Bcdbziazo Bkbkmhel Xjtkgzb http://howdoyougetpregnant.webs.com
Cstbye Hgvhls Enwqyvsxol artificial insemination Hfxkjksqk Hrkbgdm Qkhicebnpm http://artificialinsemination423.webs.com

Well said, ikyydjws09.
spammer

Postby bambam » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:31 am

DrJay wrote:

Text from my UNC roomie during the UNC-Duke game: "If Duke is the second-best team in the country, this is a bad year for college hoops."

It certainly is a bad year for UNC college hoops - although you guys are playing a bit better the last few weeks.
bambam

Postby DrJay » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:45 am

I can't stop thinking about how much fun we'd be having if Barnes, Henson, and Marshall had stayed.
DrJay

Postby dukehjsteve » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:32 am

DrJay wrote:I can't stop thinking about how much fun we'd be having if Barnes, Henson, and Marshall had stayed.

Woulda, shoulda, coulda....

And we would like to have Kyree Irving....
dukehjsteve

Postby KevinM » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:33 am

dukehjsteve wrote:
DrJay wrote:I can't stop thinking about how much fun we'd be having if Barnes, Henson, and Marshall had stayed.

Woulda, shoulda, coulda....

And we would like to have Kyree Irving....

and Thomas Robinson for Kansas. And let's not start with Kentucky...
KevinM

Postby DrJay » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:15 pm

Like my roomie texted..... :wink:
DrJay

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:02 pm

Wisconsin was picked to finish 7th or 8th in the Big Ten; they have the easiest remaining schedule (two easier, one hard at MichSt) games left - if they win out (or had made one more basket in the last game with MichSt), they could finish in first if Indiana goes down against either Ohio State at home or at Michigan (who have won all their home games, but just lost at previously Big Ten-winless Penn State).

They do not have a lot of high-level horses for the tourney, but they have gotten through a pretty stiff league schedule.
26mi235

Postby Pego » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:21 am

26mi235 wrote:Wisconsin was picked to finish 7th or 8th in the Big Ten; they have the easiest remaining schedule (two easier, one hard at MichSt) games left - if they win out (or had made one more basket in the last game with MichSt), they could finish in first if Indiana goes down against either Ohio State at home or at Michigan (who have won all their home games, but just lost at previously Big Ten-winless Penn State).

They do not have a lot of high-level horses for the tourney, but they have gotten through a pretty stiff league schedule.

Fear the Badger beast. They make you work on every basket, play D for 30 seconds nearly every possession for 40 minutes. Most unpleasant opponent for every team loaded with talent as Michigan and Indiana found out.
Pego

Postby sprintzfan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:53 pm

Hoosiers get my vote. Despite the lost in Minn.
sprintzfan

Postby Tuariki » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:16 am

Being forever a loyal eastern Washingtonite kiwi (former WSU) of course the best are the Catholics up the road. And now this week's polls make it official.
Tuariki

Postby DrJay » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:04 am

Thought I'd come here and take my beating from bambam and dukehjsteve. First time in 34 years of coaching (asst at UNC, head coach at Kansas, head coach at UNC) that Roy Williams saw his team lose on Senior Day.
DrJay

Postby dukehjsteve » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:33 am

DrJay wrote:Thought I'd come here and take my beating from bambam and dukehjsteve. First time in 34 years of coaching (asst at UNC, head coach at Kansas, head coach at UNC) that Roy Williams saw his team lose on Senior Day.

And there is the ladies the next day...... :)
dukehjsteve

Postby DrJay » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:59 pm

Fortunately, I can't get too worked up about the Lady Heels losing.
DrJay

Postby Jnathletics » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:05 pm

I'm cheering for a

Gonzaga - VCU - St.Louis - Creighton

Final Four, but I'm not greedy as Belmont - Wichita St - Davidson would be nice to see there also.

Big Schools begone!!!!

Long Live the Madness!!!!
Jnathletics

Postby Master Po » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:39 am

I like small schools in the tournament as much as the next guy, but not that much! I'm cheering for a Final Four with IU plus any other three teams that will make anyone else happy. How generous is that? :)
Master Po

Postby gh » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:11 am

today's SF Chron:

<<This week, so-called experts will be espousing their opinions regarding the traits needed to win a national championship while noting the teams that possess those traits.

The past is not always a reliable predictor of the future, but recent history suggests teams that win it all typically share four characteristics:

-- Margin of victory: People offer a variety of statistics they consider critical to postseason success, but none correlates with national championships as consistently as average margin of victory.....>>

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/art ... z2NROG4kkV
gh

Postby tandfman » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:06 pm

The Wall Street Journal says margin of defeat is also a factor.

Only one team since 1994, the 2001-02 Maryland squad—lost a game by more than 20 points and went on to win the title. If this holds true again, that's bad news for four of the top seven teams in the current Associated Press men's basketball poll.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 89008.html
tandfman

Postby DrJay » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:42 am

Hubie Brown coached my Kentucky Colonels to the 1974-75 ABA championship and afterward spoke strongly about the significance of average margin of victory. I don't have it at my fingertips, but the Colonels won something like 23 of their last 25 games and their average margin of victory was in the high teens, and that included the playoffs, I think. They would have beaten the NBA champion Golden State had the NBA had the balls to accept the challenge formally offered by the ABA that May. The NBA figured they had nothing to gain and everything to lose.
DrJay

Postby DrJay » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:59 am

Looks like for the entire season the Colonels' MOV was only 3rd in the ABA, at 7.25, but toward the end it was high teens (see "Loose Balls" by Terry Pluto).

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/KEN/1975.html

Perusing SI.com for major conference standings, I'm looking at won-loss records vs. top 25 teams and find Indiana is 7-1 and my Tar Heels are 1-5. which is about how I've been thinking of their respective strengths this year. Record against ranked opponents would seem to be a good predictor, maybe moreso in this season of apparent parity?:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basket ... eref=sinav

(The "All Conferences" dropdown box allows you to move from conference to conference easily. Record vs. top 25 teams is at the right of the conference standings)
DrJay

Postby gh » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:43 pm

DrJay wrote:... They would have beaten the NBA champion Golden State had the NBA had the balls to accept the challenge formally offered by the ABA that May. ...

Oh, dream on!!!!!
gh

Postby DrJay » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:12 pm

gh wrote:
DrJay wrote:... They would have beaten the NBA champion Golden State had the NBA had the balls to accept the challenge formally offered by the ABA that May. ...

Oh, dream on!!!!!

I'm not the only Dr. J who said this. The dude with the afro did as well. He knows things about basketball. (Name that movie reference, gh.)
DrJay

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:53 pm

Well, Wisconsin has won one more game than I thought that they might in the Tourney, taking down a one-time #1 team for the third time (with a trifects - once on the road, once at home, and once at a neutral site). Another former #1 game next. :)
26mi235

Postby Tuariki » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:48 pm

Top 4 seeds should be Gonzaga, Indiana, Louisville and Kansas - even if the last 3 lose their conference title games.
And 26mi235 must be pretty happy at the moment.
Tuariki

Postby Pego » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:43 am

3 top10 teams lost yesterday. This is going to be the most unpredictable tournament.
Pego

Postby 26mi235 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:24 am

Tuariki wrote:Top 4 seeds should be Gonzaga, Indiana, Louisville and Kansas - even if the last 3 lose their conference title games.
And 26mi235 must be pretty happy at the moment.

Wisconsin doing their best to keep Indiana from a number one seed -- beat them at Indiana and now slight lead in a tight game (52-49).
26mi235

Postby Tuariki » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:44 am

50 seconds to go for 26mi235's delirium. Down goes Indiana
Tuariki

Postby Pego » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:50 am

Tuariki wrote:50 seconds to go for 26mi235's delirium. Down goes Indiana

So is this boy. The Badgers keep beating teams they have no business beating. Fear the Badger beast in the tournament. They can beat anybody.
Pego

Postby Tuariki » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:50 am

Down goes Indiana. Probably still get a #1 seed
Tuariki

Postby DrJay » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:32 pm

And some are saying Dook should still be a #1 seed. What a wild tournament we are about to see.
DrJay

Postby 26mi235 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:56 pm

Tuariki wrote:Down goes Indiana. Probably still get a #1 seed

Wisconsin and Michigan had 4 and 5 seeds in the Big Ten Tourney, Ohio State 3 and Michigan State 2, with Indiana 1. All of these teams have have NCAA seeds equal or higher than their Big Ten seeding. Not sure what they are going to do with Minnesota, Iowa and Illinois, each of whom can beat many 3/4/5 seeds.

Wisconsin beat their 7th Top-15 team this year and have beaten Indiana 12 straight. The string started when Wisconsin broke a huge home win streak for Indiana had against Wisconsin (20 years??).
26mi235

Postby Tuariki » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:31 pm

As a Pac12'er who took it for granted the the Pac8 would win the NCAA (OK! so it was UCLA and the rest of the PAc8 never had a look in) I have to begrudgingly admit that the Big 10 is probably the toughest conference and probably just as well that Gonzaga targeted the Big 12.
Tuariki

Postby bambam » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:32 pm

DrJay wrote:And some are saying Dook should still be a #1 seed. What a wild tournament we are about to see.

I thought the Tar Heel guys pronounced it "Day-ook"
bambam

Next