Bird better than Jordan?


A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Bird better than Jordan?

Postby BillVol » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:03 pm

BillVol
 
Posts: 3759
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Chattanooga

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby Jnathletics » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:57 am

I would take Kareem, Magic, Bird, Bill Russell, Wilt, Dr.J, and Moses over MJ any day.
His not the greatest in my book and never will be.

He recieved too many benefits as a player that outweigh his talent. Tell the NBA a foul is a foul no matter who commits it and traveling rules should be the same for all players, not 2 steps for $1million, 3 steps for $3 million+, and 4 steps for $6 million+ salaried players.
Jnathletics
 
Posts: 2213
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Cross Country Mudville

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:11 am

Such jealous people, ho, ho, ho....
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby Marlow » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:50 am

You can cherry pick video clips and stats all day long, but it was not the corporations that made MJ, it was the peoples! Was he the GOAT? That is indeed debatable. As noted above I'd take Kareem Abdul Jabbar before anyone else on my Dream Team. Russell, Wilt, Bird, Magic, MJ? Yeah, they're all up there too.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21081
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby bijanc » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:12 pm

Kareem was better than Jordan. His h.s. team lost one game. His college team lost one game. He turned the Bucks from 27-55 to 56-26, then 66-16 w/ a 4-0 finals sweep of Unseld, Monroe, Marin, Gus Johnson, Loughery. Won as many NBA rings as Jordan, won them two decades apart, all-time scoring king, and won three straight NCAA crowns in routs.

Chamberlain > Jordan.
bijanc
 
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby jhc68 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:58 pm

I concur that Kareem was better than Jordan and add that Chamberlain was better than Kareem.
Forget about the wild exaggerations that Wilt loved to tell about his exploits, there is no arguing with averaging 50 pts. for a whole NBA season.

Bird and Magic and Jerry West were better team players. MJ and Kobe and Dr. J and even Elgin Baylor were more spectacular scorers. Big O and Maravich were maybe the most skilled players. But Chamberlain dominated like no other.
jhc68
 
Posts: 3290
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby bambam » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:05 pm

jhc68 wrote:But Chamberlain dominated like no other.


Hardly - 50 ppg is meaningless. Only one number matters - 11

Bill Russell - 11 championships - end of argument
bambam
 
Posts: 3848
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Durham, NC

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby dj » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:45 pm

bambam wrote:
jhc68 wrote:But Chamberlain dominated like no other.


Hardly - 50 ppg is meaningless. Only one number matters - 11

Bill Russell - 11 championships - end of argument



Bunk. With that argument you've just anointed Sam Jones and K.C. Jones as the two greatest guards in history and Tom Heinsohn and Satch Sanders as the two greatest forwards!
dj
 
Posts: 6199
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby scottmitchell74 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:44 am

Exactly! The ring argument makes Steve Kerr infinitely better than Steve Nash and Robert Horry a god compared to Karl Malone and Charles Barkley.

Bird better than Jordan? Bird passed and rebounded better, and could score when he wanted. Man, that's a tough one. I preferred Bird's game, but 10 scoring titles is something hard to argue with. Hmm...

I think part of what makes Jordan so attractive to his die-hards was his artistry. For instance, from age 21-28 (Jordan didn't play before 21, and Lebron isn't older than 28 yet) Lebron James and Jordan's stats (especially player efficiency rating) are eerily similar. However, Jordan looked graceful while Lebron is like a bull, so people seem unwilling to put James on even ground with Jordan. I believe that particular comparison will come into focus better 7-10 years from now.
scottmitchell74
 
Posts: 1000
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:49 am
Location: Abilene, TX

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby Master Po » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:44 am

None of these pieces of data (e.g., championships, individual stats -- both season and career) stands alone. One of the problems with such debates is that we toss different data sets at each other without really trying to explain why we value one over the other. Maybe it's the case that numbers don't lie, but they sure don't tell the truth either.

The other challenge for me in thinking about greatest NBA player is that the big men seem to need a different category than the others. I really don't know how to compare Jabaar, et al. with Jordan, et al. It would be like trying to compare the greatness of whomever one thinks is the greatest quarterback with the greatest offensive tackle. How do you compare?

As for Jordan and Bird, I truly prefer Bird's game, but I think Jordan was capable of playing more different kinds of games. The team he was on created a context for the game he played, but a different (great) team might have required a different game, and I'm pretty sure he could have done it. I feel the same way about James. Of course I can't prove any of that or persuade anyone of it.

As for the big men, it seems idiotic to say this, but I think I have always underrated Jabaar. Of course when I look at all the data sets, he seems to be the greatest big man. On the other hand, were I building a team, and if I could pick any big man to build it around, it is hard for me to go past Russell. I can't say exactly why.

And as for building a team, and whom I might start with regarding the "non-big" man, I suppose Jordan, James, Bird would be on the short list, and maybe I should choose one of them, but it's hard for me to go past Magic Johnson. He seems to me to bring more different kinds of assets to a team, perhaps, than any other non-big man. I can't say exactly why.

The numbers don't seem to tell me everything of value about any of these players.
Master Po
 
Posts: 2630
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: north coast USA

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby Marlow » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:58 am

bambam wrote:Bill Russell - 11 championships - end of argument

If this were H-O-R-S-E, then yes, one player deserves all the credit. It's not. :wink:
Marlow
 
Posts: 21081
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:59 am

dj wrote:
bambam wrote:
jhc68 wrote:But Chamberlain dominated like no other.


Hardly - 50 ppg is meaningless. Only one number matters - 11

Bill Russell - 11 championships - end of argument



Bunk. With that argument you've just anointed Sam Jones and K.C. Jones as the two greatest guards in history and Tom Heinsohn and Satch Sanders as the two greatest forwards!


Agreed. By this argument Will Perdue, who was on 4! NBA title teams is one of the best ever!

Whoever was the best is something to argue about. But the most fun and entertaining was Jordan. The guy would do anything to win a game, any game. That 72 win season was something with Jordan and his Jordanaires...
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby bambam » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:49 pm

dj wrote:
bambam wrote:
jhc68 wrote:But Chamberlain dominated like no other.


Hardly - 50 ppg is meaningless. Only one number matters - 11

Bill Russell - 11 championships - end of argument



Bunk. With that argument you've just anointed Sam Jones and K.C. Jones as the two greatest guards in history and Tom Heinsohn and Satch Sanders as the two greatest forwards!


Little different - everyone on that team would agree the reason they won was Russell - who changed the game of basketball with his defensive prowess. Cousy even said they played great team defense because they could overplay everybody because if they missed, the big guy was backing them up. Besides none of the other guys on those teams won 11 championships. Russell did.
bambam
 
Posts: 3848
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Durham, NC

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby bambam » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:50 pm

Conor Dary wrote:
dj wrote:
bambam wrote:
jhc68 wrote:But Chamberlain dominated like no other.


Hardly - 50 ppg is meaningless. Only one number matters - 11

Bill Russell - 11 championships - end of argument



Bunk. With that argument you've just anointed Sam Jones and K.C. Jones as the two greatest guards in history and Tom Heinsohn and Satch Sanders as the two greatest forwards!


Agreed. By this argument Will Perdue, who was on 4! NBA title teams is one of the best ever!

Whoever was the best is something to argue about. But the most fun and entertaining was Jordan. The guy would do anything to win a game, any game. That 72 win season was something with Jordan and his Jordanaires...


I'll still take Russell as my all-time center and we'll win, because he always did
bambam
 
Posts: 3848
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Durham, NC

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby bambam » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:59 pm

And if its individual statistics you want to use as the defining factor, then its Oscar Robertson. Everyone has heard the story that in one year (1961-62) he averaged a triple-double for the entire season. What is less well known is that he actually averaged a triple-double for the entire first 5 years of his career, although he never did it again in any other single year. Here are his stats for those years.

1960-61 30.5 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 9.7 apg
1961-62 30.8 ppg, 12.5 rpg, 11.4 apg
1962-63 28.3 ppg, 10.4 rpg, 9.5 apg
1963-64 31.4 ppg, 9.9 rpg, 11.0 apg
1964-65 31.3 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 11.5 apg
Totals 30.3 ppg, 10.4 rpg, 10.6 apg

In 1965-66 his rebounds dropped off a little bit, giving him a career rebound average of "only" 9.95 thru 6 seasons, which technically would round to 10.0.

Not a bad 5 seasons.
bambam
 
Posts: 3848
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Durham, NC

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby 18.99s » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:07 pm

Russell won his titles in an era without the salary cap, making it much easier for richer teams to acquire and keep superstars together and win year after year. So comparing his 11 titles with that of players in the salary cap era is absolutely meaningless.
18.99s
 
Posts: 704
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:28 am

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby kevinsdad » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:25 am

Conor Dary wrote:Agreed. By this argument Will Perdue, who was on 4! NBA title teams is one of the best ever!



The funniest thing I ever read about Jordan was that he called Perdue "Will Vanderbilt," because he said Perdue wasn't tough enough to be named after a Big Ten school.
kevinsdad
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:03 am

kevinsdad wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:Agreed. By this argument Will Perdue, who was on 4! NBA title teams is one of the best ever!



The funniest thing I ever read about Jordan was that he called Perdue "Will Vanderbilt," because he said Perdue wasn't tough enough to be named after a Big Ten school.


Yea, Jordan didn't think much of WP.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby odelltrclan » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:47 am

kevinsdad wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:Agreed. By this argument Will Perdue, who was on 4! NBA title teams is one of the best ever!



The funniest thing I ever read about Jordan was that he called Perdue "Will Vanderbilt," because he said Perdue wasn't tough enough to be named after a Big Ten school.


It seems funny, but for most ordinary folks we would be saying what an A hole the guy was. Jordan got away with a lot that helped make him great. How many 3 and 4 step approaches was he given so that we could see his athleticism. He is definitely one of the GOAT, but the best? Who knows.
odelltrclan
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:30 pm

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby odelltrclan » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:50 am

jhc68 wrote:I concur that Kareem was better than Jordan and add that Chamberlain was better than Kareem.
Forget about the wild exaggerations that Wilt loved to tell about his exploits, there is no arguing with averaging 50 pts. for a whole NBA season.

Bird and Magic and Jerry West were better team players. MJ and Kobe and Dr. J and even Elgin Baylor were more spectacular scorers. Big O and Maravich were maybe the most skilled players. But Chamberlain dominated like no other.


But there is. Wilt played in an age where his height gave him a huge advantage. When the league itself was much smaller, giving him a much bigger advantage. If he played today he would be nowhere near that type of average. Jordan likely would still would put of the same stats today.

Wilt also played in the Russell era, and Russell quite often got the better end of those matchups.
odelltrclan
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:30 pm

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby bambam » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:52 pm

odelltrclan wrote:Wilt also played in the Russell era, and Russell quite often got the better end of those matchups.


Really, why didn't I say that? Somebody else said all his championships were meaningless.
bambam
 
Posts: 3848
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Durham, NC

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby 4:24-miler » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:52 pm

Master Po wrote:None of these pieces of data (e.g., championships, individual stats -- both season and career) stands alone. One of the problems with such debates is that we toss different data sets at each other without really trying to explain why we value one over the other. Maybe it's the case that numbers don't lie, but they sure don't tell the truth either.

The other challenge for me in thinking about greatest NBA player is that the big men seem to need a different category than the others. I really don't know how to compare Jabaar, et al. with Jordan, et al. It would be like trying to compare the greatness of whomever one thinks is the greatest quarterback with the greatest offensive tackle. How do you compare?

As for Jordan and Bird, I truly prefer Bird's game, but I think Jordan was capable of playing more different kinds of games. The team he was on created a context for the game he played, but a different (great) team might have required a different game, and I'm pretty sure he could have done it. I feel the same way about James. Of course I can't prove any of that or persuade anyone of it.

As for the big men, it seems idiotic to say this, but I think I have always underrated Jabaar. Of course when I look at all the data sets, he seems to be the greatest big man. On the other hand, were I building a team, and if I could pick any big man to build it around, it is hard for me to go past Russell. I can't say exactly why.

And as for building a team, and whom I might start with regarding the "non-big" man, I suppose Jordan, James, Bird would be on the short list, and maybe I should choose one of them, but it's hard for me to go past Magic Johnson. He seems to me to bring more different kinds of assets to a team, perhaps, than any other non-big man. I can't say exactly why.

The numbers don't seem to tell me everything of value about any of these players.

Great point Master Po. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that MJ runs circles over Bird in terms of defense. MJ was a 9x NBA All-Defensive First Team and was the NBA Defensive Player of the Year in 1988. Bird was never NBA All-Defensive First Team. Having watched both players in hteir prime MJ was the far superior one-on-one defensive player. He could shut down his opponent. Bird didn't really have that "shut-down" skill. The more agile Kevin McHale was the guy who was usually assigned to stop the stronger power forwards.
4:24-miler
 
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby 4:24-miler » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:04 pm

I remember this article where Larry Bird is called the "perfect player".

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm
4:24-miler
 
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby no one » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:19 am

I don't think there is any such athlete, as greatest of all time, in any sport. Mostly arbitrary groups of 'A', 'B', or "C' - or however many levels one chooses to designate peeps. :shock:
no one
 
Posts: 1611
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby bambam » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:54 pm

no one wrote:I don't think there is any such athlete, as greatest of all time, in any sport. Mostly arbitrary groups of 'A', 'B', or "C' - or however many levels one chooses to designate peeps. :shock:


Eddy Merckx in cycling - by acclamation. Every cycling expert agrees on this one.
bambam
 
Posts: 3848
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Durham, NC

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby Pego » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:08 pm

bambam wrote:
no one wrote:I don't think there is any such athlete, as greatest of all time, in any sport. Mostly arbitrary groups of 'A', 'B', or "C' - or however many levels one chooses to designate peeps. :shock:


Eddy Merckx in cycling - by acclamation. Every cycling expert agrees on this one.


As a young man, I was blown away by Jacques Anquetil.
Pego
 
Posts: 10197
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby Conor Dary » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:14 pm

bambam wrote:
no one wrote:I don't think there is any such athlete, as greatest of all time, in any sport. Mostly arbitrary groups of 'A', 'B', or "C' - or however many levels one chooses to designate peeps. :shock:


Eddy Merckx in cycling - by acclamation. Every cycling expert agrees on this one.


That was the one great moment in the filming of American Flyer in Boulder. Merckx shows up at the start of the Mogul-Bismark and the extras, all cyclists, go 'Eddy, Eddy....

Yes, the great one. The guy who did it all.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby EZSum » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:16 pm

Don Bradman in cricket. No one else has ever got remotely near his Test or first-class batting averages; they are utterly surreal.
EZSum
 
Posts: 238
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:38 pm

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby Conor Dary » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:26 pm

EZSum wrote:Don Bradman in cricket. No one else has ever got remotely near his Test or first-class batting averages; they are utterly surreal.


Yes, I forgot about the Don. Definitely the best batsman ever, by far. With perhaps Gary Sobers the best all arounder. Test average of 99.94 where second was about 60. Also the infamous Bodyline controversy of 1932-3 was set up just to try to stop Bradman.

Even now he is the one always compared to.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/21768355
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby bambam » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:40 pm

EZSum wrote:Don Bradman in cricket. No one else has ever got remotely near his Test or first-class batting averages; they are utterly surreal.


Yes, also by acclamation the greatest ever
bambam
 
Posts: 3848
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Durham, NC

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby bambam » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:41 pm

Pego wrote:
bambam wrote:
no one wrote:I don't think there is any such athlete, as greatest of all time, in any sport. Mostly arbitrary groups of 'A', 'B', or "C' - or however many levels one chooses to designate peeps. :shock:


Eddy Merckx in cycling - by acclamation. Every cycling expert agrees on this one.


As a young man, I was blown away by Jacques Anquetil.


It was said of Anquetil, "He could drop no one, but he could never be dropped."
bambam
 
Posts: 3848
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Durham, NC

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:02 pm

4:24-miler wrote:Great point Master Po. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that MJ runs circles over Bird in terms of defense. MJ was a 9x NBA All-Defensive First Team and was the NBA Defensive Player of the Year in 1988. Bird was never NBA All-Defensive First Team. Having watched both players in hteir prime MJ was the far superior one-on-one defensive player. He could shut down his opponent. Bird didn't really have that "shut-down" skill. The more agile Kevin McHale was the guy who was usually assigned to stop the stronger power forwards.

Bingo! I'm willing to entertain arguments that Jordan isn't the GOAT, but Bird's defense certainly disqualifies him IMO. On the other hand, I have to take some points away from Jordan due to his pathetic Hall of Fame inductance speech.

As for other GOATs, isn't the consensus for Gretsky just as strong for him as it is for Merckx and Bradman?
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10858
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby Pego » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:09 am

jazzcyclist wrote:As for other GOATs, isn't the consensus for Gretsky just as strong for him as it is for Merckx and Bradman?


That probably is a majority opinion, but a sizeable minority would suggest Mario or Bobby Orr, a shrinking small minority of old-timers might still stick with "The Rocket."
Pego
 
Posts: 10197
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:31 am

Pego wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:As for other GOATs, isn't the consensus for Gretsky just as strong for him as it is for Merckx and Bradman?


That probably is a majority opinion, but a sizeable minority would suggest Mario or Bobby Orr, a shrinking small minority of old-timers might still stick with "The Rocket."


Yes, I think it is a bit of a problem to compare the players from the time when there were only 6 teams, all Canadian players, and depth was phenomenal with the period after 1969 when the league greatly expanded and the talent pool was diminished.

I remember the Original 6 era fairly well. The Blackhawks were by far the hottest team in the city by far. And there were just so many great players.

And Bradman was able to dominate a game like no one is able to do in other sports. When you are scoring 200 or 300 runs in consecutive Tests like he did in the 1930 Ashes series you are going to be dominant.

    It was on Australia's 1930 tour of England that Bradman's true brilliance was witnessed. In England he scored 2,960 runs at an average of 98.66. In the Ashes he struck 131, 254 and 334 in consecutive Tests, with 309 of the 334 runs he scored at Headingley being gathered on the first day of the match. In the final Test at The Oval he struck 232 to help Australia win the Ashes. The result was greeted with joy in Australia, a country hit hard by the Great Depression.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cric ... 09527.html
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby no one » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:46 am

Merckx and Bradman - okay (proves I'm not the expert I claimed) (cricket - a sport I am totally unfamiliar with. - should not have painted with such a broad brush.)
no one
 
Posts: 1611
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby bambam » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:22 am

Pego wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:As for other GOATs, isn't the consensus for Gretsky just as strong for him as it is for Merckx and Bradman?


That probably is a majority opinion, but a sizeable minority would suggest Mario or Bobby Orr, a shrinking small minority of old-timers might still stick with "The Rocket."


Well, I'm part of that sizable minority. Having grown up around Boston when Orr was playing, no one will ever convince me, or anybody who saw him play, or played with him, that there has ever been a greater hockey player. Gretzky was great, but Orr changed the game of hockey. He was a defenseman, and led the league in scoring twice. That has been done only 2 times in NHL history, both by Orr. Its approximately the equivalent of a guard leading the NBA in rebounding. He also won the Norris Trophy every year he was healthy - something like 9 years in a row (best defenseman trophy). His nickname among his fellow Bruins was God.
bambam
 
Posts: 3848
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Durham, NC

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby bijanc » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:56 am

Orr leading NHL in goals, and points, is like a fullback being the leading scorer in the world's best pro soccer league- twice. Orr was a skilled skater, speedy forward and backward, and could stop on a dime, he was no punk when it came to contact, he shot hard and fast, and he was the best defenseman in the league for seven years.

Back to hoops, I have Abdul-Jabbar over Jordan because he dominated at a younger age (20). Jordan won one NCAA title, Alcindor not only won three, his tournament teams had an average margin of victory of 21 points over three years. UCLA lost two college games while he was there, and his second Bucks team went 66-16, sweeping the Bullets (who had three future HOF'ers and Jack Marin, Kevin Loughery) in the Finals when Finals sweeps were rare.

Kareem played in 19 All-Star Games, was NBA Finals MVP at age 38, and made All-Defensive 11 teams. He shot 72% FT, so you couldn't foul him in clutch or end game situations as you could Chamberlain. And he could pass, dribble the length of the floor, shoot a bankshot, and he shot a hook from a distance none of his contemporaries or successors imitated. Jordan's moves were emulated by Vince Carter, Kobe, Wade, et al.

Jabbar was so gifted, that when Bill Walton was a rookie, who had also played in three straight NCAA title games, and a quick, intelligent young player who could defend and rebound, the first time they faced one another as pro's, Jabbar outscored Walton 52-8.

Cousy didn't destroy Oscar like that the first time they met, nor Russell-Wilt.
bijanc
 
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:23 am

bijanc wrote: Jordan won one NCAA title, Alcindor not only won three,


Well yea, since Jordan turned pro after his second year.....kind of hard to win NCAA titles when you are not college.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby bijanc » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:32 am

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1870 ... ba-history

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 342AASHWsZ

Kareem played three varsity seasons at UCLA, and was college player of the year and final four MYP in all of them. Jordan also played three college seasons. Ralph was three-time college player of the year in that era. Worthy was the better player on their college teams. He did not win a championship until Pippen came along in the early 1990's, although he was a rookie in 1984 (when he was 21- same age Alcindor was as a rookie).

Jordan did not produce in NCAA semis vs. Indiana, when guarded by Dan Dakich, and also had an unimpressive ACC semi-final the year N.C. State won it all. Kareem was a far better h.s. (Jordan was cut from h.s. team one season), college, and pro player combined, than Jordan, or even Wilt.
bijanc
 
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Bird better than Jordan?

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:38 am

However long Jordan or KAJ played, to even bring their college careers into the discussion, let alone their high school :roll: ...is irrelevant. Jordan was picked after Sam Bowie.

Anyways, this has gone on long enough. Jordan was the best and most fun to watch and a real treat. It was 18 years ago today, Jordan announced, 'I'm Back!' And it felt like Christmas Day.

What others think is irrelevant.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: rsb2 and 4 guests