Tim Danielson, NY Times

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Tim Danielson, NY Times

Postby G.Ahearn » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:15 pm

Tim Danielson on front page of New York Times. Sad.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/17/sport ... ml?hp&_r=0
G.Ahearn

Re: Tim Danielson, NY Times

Postby gh » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:18 pm

all 5 pieces of the series are now linked on the home page
gh

Postby indigo » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:44 am

G.Ahearn wrote:Tim Danielson on front page of New York Times. Sad.
indigo

Postby indigo » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:47 am

G.Ahearn wrote:Tim Danielson on front page of New York Times. Sad.

A good article on a sad subject.
Although more than a decade younger. His HS accomplishments were often discussed during my HS cross years
indigo

Postby no one » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:13 am

Danielson was ever the quiet, even shy, one. Stayed away from the spotlight in spite of his stellar achievements. One of a select few who won the Cal State mile championship two years in succession. It seems that HS success can generate unusual pressure in 'real' life. A sad story indeed.

"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation"
no one

Postby ed gee » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:59 am

Not sure how you are making that connection, at least regarding Danielson.

no one wrote: It seems that HS success can generate unusual pressure in 'real' life.
ed gee

Postby Conor Dary » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:16 am

ed gee wrote:Not sure how you are making that connection, at least regarding Danielson.

no one wrote: It seems that HS success can generate unusual pressure in 'real' life.

Yes, indeed. In Danielson's case probably the opposite. When I started my high school career just a few years later, he was already pretty much forgotten, a trivia answer to who was the third high school kid to break 4. So bitterness might have played a role, but pressure?
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby runforlife » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:25 pm

Conor Dary wrote: a trivia answer to who was the third high school kid to break 4.

If you are refering to US HS, he was the second. Third was Marty.
What is Danielson's birth date??
runforlife

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:46 am

runforlife wrote:
Conor Dary wrote: a trivia answer to who was the third high school kid to break 4.

If you are refering to US HS, he was the second. Third was Marty.
What is Danielson's birth date??

Sorry, I didn't mean chronologically. Just that the other two were big stars and everyone knew who they were.

After reading the article it appears that any pressure from being a high school star was the least of Danielson's problems. Being an alcoholic and having guns in the house is not a good combination.

And he was smoking 2 to 3 packs a day? That was a surprise.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby runforlife » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:42 am

Conor Dary wrote: Just that the other two were big stars and everyone knew who they were.

Yeah, he was the forgotten one. Over the intervening decades I often wondered what had happened to him.
runforlife

Postby jthelin » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:01 pm

I was pleased to see 1960s track and field get such coverage in the NYT article about Tim Danielson. However, I am going to go out on a limb and comment as to why on balance I did not like the story: first, it was too long (and I am an historian who writes long books); second, it really had only incidental and partial connection with track and field -- the personal situations Tim D encountered in adult life were quite apart from running, I think; third, the long winded story deflected attention and recognition away from the really incredible high school track and field participation and achievements of those years in the Los Angeles-San Diego corridor.

So much attention went to the 1966 California state meet the article author did mention the 1965 California state meet (andTim D's first state championship) -- but in focusing on Danielson even in 1965, overlooked the outstanding achievement -- Richard Joyce of Sierra HS setting a long standing national 880 record.

For NYT readers, most do not realize that track and field was the only sport in which CIF had a statewide championship.
jthelin

Postby jhc68 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:15 pm

Seems odd now that when Danielson followed Ryun under 4-minutes we all seemed to assume that sub-4 miles would become routine for elite high schoolers.

I note that the article quotes Bob Messina who was a Danielson teammate at SDSU and later coached Polly Plumer to her national HS record.
jhc68

Postby lovetorun » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:02 pm

jhc68 wrote:Seems odd now that when Danielson followed Ryun under 4-minutes we all seemed to assume that sub-4 miles would become routine for elite high schoolers.

I note that the article quotes Bob Messina who was a Danielson teammate at SDSU and later coached Polly Plumer to her national HS record.

Yes, it seems stange that the only HS miler who has run sub 4 since the the 1960's is Alan Webb.

And jhc68... Bob Messina, Scott Claypoole and I used to train together in the late 60's...same period that Ryun, Danielson and Liquori did their HS sub 4's. :)
lovetorun

Postby 4:24-miler » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:21 pm

lovetorun wrote:
jhc68 wrote:Seems odd now that when Danielson followed Ryun under 4-minutes we all seemed to assume that sub-4 miles would become routine for elite high schoolers.

Yes, it seems stange that the only HS miler who has run sub 4 since the the 1960's is Alan Webb.

And jhc68... Bob Messina, Scott Claypoole and I used to train together in the late 60's...same period that Ryun, Danielson and Liquori did their HS sub 4's. :)

Ummm...Lukas Verbicas?
4:24-miler

Postby runforlife » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:52 pm

Yes we did. We are still waiting for Bob Timmons' prediction to come true that a HS'er would run sub 4 and lose to another HS'er.
runforlife

Postby lovetorun » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:55 am

4:24 miler...thanks for the correction...there are two. But the point still is... only two in over 40 years...that's a bit surprising.
lovetorun