Tell Iaaf to stop screwing up their site.

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Tell Iaaf to stop screwing up their site.

Postby gh » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:36 am

I'm guessing I now go to the IAAF site 10% as much as I did a year ago; it's easier to find alternate sources up and down the line.
gh

Postby nicest person ever » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:38 am

fasttrack85 wrote:I just realized the top lists only have the seasons best for each athletes instead of all the marks. It looks like that is something they did on purpose and plan to keep. Does anyone know where on the site i can find the old list with all the marks for the year? If they dont have it then we should attack them.

loooooool this fasttrack guy is fuckin awesome :lol: :twisted:
nicest person ever

Postby Master Po » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:52 am

gh wrote:I'm guessing I now go to the IAAF site 10% as much as I did a year ago; it's easier to find alternate sources up and down the line.

I initially thought that some of the criticisms I read here of the IAAF's new site were overstated, but...my experience is the same as gh's -- it is now far less common for me than it used to be to go there in search of an answer. That seems like a really fundamental critique of their new site. Oh well, at least I can usually find stuff elsewhere.
Master Po

Postby jeremyp » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:32 am

Master Po wrote:
gh wrote:I'm guessing I now go to the IAAF site 10% as much as I did a year ago; it's easier to find alternate sources up and down the line.

I initially thought that some of the criticisms I read here of the IAAF's new site were overstated, but...my experience is the same as gh's -- it is now far less common for me than it used to be to go there in search of an answer. That seems like a really fundamental critique of their new site. Oh well, at least I can usually find stuff elsewhere.

I've rarely visited it since it changed and when I do I swear*&^%*)& often.
jeremyp

Postby Jon » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:43 am

Walt Murphy wrote:I'm looking to find out what happened on this date(March 14) at the 1993 World Indoor Championship in Toronto.
http://www.iaaf.org/competitions/iaaf-world-indoor-championships/4th-iaaf-world-indoor-championships-16

None of the links(startlist, results) under the timetable-by-day heading work. I have to scroll down to the "Winners in Toronto (SD)" section, where the results of all events are available.
From that page, click on 'Timetable/results', then 'by day'. You'll then be able to see results of all events.

Alternatively, you can use the results archive. From the home page, click on 'results', then 'open filters' to search for the event you need. It'll lead you to this page:
http://www.iaaf.org/results/iaaf-world- ... onships-16
Jon

Postby norunner » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:12 am

mump boy wrote:I had lunch today with the publisher who created the website, he was very interested to hear that there were problems with the site and wants me to email him with suggestions of how it can be corrected and improved

If people want to post here with specific issues i'll make sure he hears about them and hopefully we can get them sorted
Has this person ever published a webpage before? As far as userability goes the new iaaf page looks like it was designed by someone who never heard of it. For example the lists page, it takes up to 6 or 7 mouse clicks to get the list you want. No info on a webpage should take that many mouse clicks for access cause most people get annoyed way before that.
mump boy: Have you forwarded any criticism and has anything happened since you did?
norunner

Postby toyracer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:18 am

Exactly. When I google search I click on results that do not take me to the IAAF site. That surely is the opposite of what they should have intended.
toyracer

Postby vencio2 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:04 am

Another one here who never goes to the IAAF site anymore.

Went on it a few days ago, first time in months. As someone noted, whoever was involved in this site cannot have been a T&F fan or interested in the stats/bio's side of the IAAF content, which used to be one of the main selling points of the site. I am seriously suspicious of their general 'web design/publishing' credentials as well. The home page is so distracting and difficult to read and it just looks like a tonne of 'stuff' floating around a white screen. Why the row of 'social' icons appears twice (once horizontal and once vertical), right next to each other, is also weird.
vencio2

Postby gh » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:39 am

I don't have time to go digging, but rumor has it that the historical results section is now easier to find data in. Like the Q/q data and reaction times being on the results without requiring another dig.
gh

Postby jeremyp » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:42 am

gh wrote:I don't have time to go digging, but rumor has it that the historical results section is now easier to find data in. Like the Q/q data and reaction times being on the results without requiring another dig.

On my last visit I was more easily able to find shit I was looking for, but I hope it's a work in progress.
jeremyp

Postby gh » Sun May 12, 2013 8:05 am

Am I just blind/inept (a distinct possibility), or is there no longer an option to view meet results as a whole? In the old days there was a link that opened a pdf with the composite results. Now all I can find is having to open each event as a different button.
gh

Postby Weights&Shoes » Sun May 12, 2013 5:25 pm

My only complaints are with their YouTube page.

1) I like their new interviews conducted by Ato Boldon with current athletes, but the videos are only available on their FB page. I would think in 2013, with social media being at such a high, it would make more sense to host the videos on their YT page.

2) Upload past World Championships content/moments more frequently.
Weights&Shoes

Postby gh » Wed May 15, 2013 7:49 am

squeaky wheel continues to get grease... no idea when these changes were implemented, since I've grown to live without the IAAF lists, but this was passed along to me.

<<We reviewed the page and have eliminated three clicks from the previous format for the ‘Top Lists’:

- Default no longer ‘all-time’ >> top lists now open at current season
- Separate tabs for men or women removed >> both genders are now displayed on the same screen
- No need to select ‘Update’ which is removed >> now simply click on discipline to display relevant list>>

All in all, deffo an improvement.
gh

Postby Daisy » Wed May 15, 2013 8:05 am

gh wrote:All in all, deffo an improvement.

That's a big improvement over their completely non-intuitive previous incarnation.

I'm realising that many of these problems come from the fact that they put all the information into a database and the views we see are dependent on the filters that they choose. This explains the nonsense of having to click on each event to see the result, rather than having one page of results for each meet. But it will be easy for them to create a filter to gives us the one page view.

Maybe they should allow third parties to access their databases and write filter options that fit our needs? That is how the human genome databases work. There are many different genome browsers that allow you to see the same information but with a different user interface.
Daisy

Postby bushop » Wed May 15, 2013 9:43 am

Any idea why so many old articles (2012) are gone?
bushop

Postby 26mi235 » Wed May 15, 2013 12:30 pm

Daisy wrote:Maybe they should allow third parties to access their databases and write filter options that fit our needs? That is how the human genome databases work. There are many different genome browsers that allow you to see the same information but with a different user interface.

Yes, but the genome project is much simpler and all of the people are from the same organization so it is much easier to get those things done.... :lol:
26mi235

Postby gh » Wed May 15, 2013 12:34 pm

bushop wrote:Any idea why so many old articles (2012) are gone?

because when you radically alter your platform, all old links may have to be rewritten, and there comes a triage point on whether or not it's worth it to do so.

T&FN is close to that point, sad to say.
gh

Postby toyracer » Thu May 16, 2013 8:54 am

I "visited" their site today, courtesy of a link through a front page item here on T&FN. I really dislike the washed out look of their site, it makes me feel like I can't get away from it fast enough. I just read the article and left.
toyracer

Postby Jon » Thu May 16, 2013 12:46 pm

gh wrote:squeaky wheel continues to get grease... All in all, deffo an improvement.
A lot of the gripes raised in this thread have been addressed. (Click on the numbers of each point below to see the original post that flagged these up):

1. Dates of SBs now shown on profiles (example)
2. Top lists page now easier to navigate and even fewer clicks than before are required, and all other reported glitches were fixed a long time ago (example)
3. Improved presentation of combined events scores (including individual marks) in results and rankings lists (example)
4. In results, the default view now shows full series as well as qualifiers, wind speeds and reaction times (example / example)
5. When searching for results, the filter now stays open from the outset (example)
6. All 'Focus on Athletes' biographies have been incorporated into profile pages (example)
Jon

Postby Jon » Thu May 16, 2013 12:47 pm

(continued... character limit reached - a gripe of mine about this website...)

7. Team members now viewable in relay results, and split times viewable in distance races (example / example)
8. Final scores (and intermediate scores) of combined events are now presented much better on results pages (example)

bushop wrote:Any idea why so many old articles (2012) are gone?
All old articles (from the early days of the site in the late 90s) should all be there. Most automatically redirect, but some don't. Where there any in particular you were trying to find?
Jon

Postby gh » Thu May 16, 2013 2:06 pm

Jon wrote:(continued... character limit reached - a gripe of mine about this website...)....

Hey, at least our site has a board, unlike the IAAF! :mrgreen:
gh

Postby 26mi235 » Thu May 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Jon, you are possibly pasting in a lot of spaces which do not show up here but count against the 2500 limit. That post is not close to 2500 characters.
26mi235

Postby gh » Thu May 16, 2013 2:15 pm

I wonder if it reads each character in the linked URL, rather than just the 7 that appear in "example"?
gh

Postby Jon » Thu May 16, 2013 2:41 pm

26mi235 wrote:Jon, you are possibly pasting in a lot of spaces which do not show up here but count against the 2500 limit. That post is not close to 2500 characters.
I never use double spaces (and I hate it when people do). There were simply a lot of hyperlinks in my post, the formatting of which uses up a lot of the 2500-character limit (as gh suggests).
Jon

Postby gh » Thu May 16, 2013 3:32 pm

Anybody who learned to keystroke in the days before computers afforded the luxury of proportional spacing was taught to double space after periods (and colons). And as one who had to unlearn that after 25 years of pounding at a keyboard for 8 hours a day, I can tell you, it's not an easy reflex to unlearn.

And for people who aren't in the journalism business, it's a minor typographical touch that's not even worth trying to unlearn.
gh

Postby Serafina8 » Thu May 16, 2013 10:50 pm

One thing I miss in the redesigned "Top Lists" section is the ability to sort by column heading. I found it useful to be able to sort by "Nation" to easily see all athletes from a given country grouped together in order of performance.
Serafina8

Postby gibson » Fri May 17, 2013 9:50 am

dysfunctional organizations have dysfunctional web sites.

iaaf is just another federation that can't do, but can't be replaced through a competitive process. that's the process of de evolution.

you know, going from mammal to reptile to slime mold - that type of thing.
gibson

Postby Vault-emort » Sat May 18, 2013 1:03 am

The trouble with many sports web-sites is that companies are engaged that might be able to put up a 'pretty site' but don't really understand the functionality required by most fans.

#iaaf
Vault-emort

Postby vencio2 » Sun May 19, 2013 11:21 am

so bewildering that there's an article on main iaaf page about the ponce gp but it took me about 3 mins to be able to find results. rather confusingly the top related link to the ponce gp article is 'simon ziolkowski'.

iaaf website makes me want to cry, and then scream with rage.
vencio2

Postby 26mi235 » Sun May 19, 2013 11:40 am

Consistently across race sites it is surprisingly difficult to find the link to the results. It is as though they can only think of the preparation for the event, that the fans are going to spend a lot of time going to the site before the event but are not interested in results. There are a number of exceptions, but they are almost exceptions rather than the dominant rule.
26mi235

Postby batonless relay » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:09 am

LANES? LANES? LANES? LANES?

How come they've removed the lane information from the past results? It was there on the "old" [better] site and it's as important as wind and CERTAINLY more important than a *&%$#@ BIB number (are you kidding me?!).

And, thanks for finally adding the reaction times; they're only ONE click away. But, they should be NO clicks away. If anything hide bib numbers and POS (position), they're superfluous.
batonless relay

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:23 pm

Lanes matter in the 200 and 400, not much elsewhere (well, 400h is implicit).
26mi235

Postby batonless relay » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:25 am

26mi235 wrote:Lanes matter in the 200 and 400, not much elsewhere (well, 400h is implicit).

So because they're not relevant elsewhere should reaction times be removed, or wind?

Quick tell me, what was Bekele's BIB number for any one of his wins? How about Seb Coe? Joan Benoit? Billy Mills? Bob Beamon? Carl Lewis? Michael Johnson? These are some of the biggest wins in history and nearly noone knows their BIB number (without looking it up). Now, which lane did John Akii Bua win from? How about Bob Hayes? Michael Bates bronze? (FWIW, I remember that Bolt was 2163 in Beijing, couldn't tell you for Berlin without looking it up but 2163 sticks out). Lanes matter for ALL sprints and they matter all the time. Lanes are as much context as wind or reaction times and it tells a story of what may have happened through the rounds or how the rules have changed (straight random to 2 seeded draws to 3 seeded draws).

If it were up to me I'd include dewpoint, time of day and temperature, but for lane(s) not to be included, and people who CLAIM to be track fans be involved with the development of the IAAF site (and write for one of the T&F publications) and not include it is nearly unforgivable. They were in before for a good reason, they're not now in now (for a stupid reason)... they need to put the lanes back in.
batonless relay

Postby norunner » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:46 pm

So i went to the IAAF webpage (big mistake i know) to check on some results from Olympic Games. I wanted the mPV from 2008, so i clicked "competitions", then under "previous championships" on Beijing. Then i clicked on timetable/results at the top since there was only a timetable by day. Surprise, the page gave me the timetable by day for London 2012. So once again i clicked on Beijing 2008 under "select a championship". Now i had a timetable by day for Beijing. Next step, i clicked on timetable by discipline and, yes you guessed it, i got a timetable by discipline for London 2012. Selecting Beijing 2008 for the THIRD time finally gave me what i wanted. "Just" another two clicks and i got what i wanted, sort of. I had the mPV result and series on the screen, but the series are all wrong. So i thought i would check other OG results to see if the series are screwed up as well. I selected Athens 2004 and again series for mPV. And got the Beijing results again. Tried to check other OGs for the same error, but apparently they did not have a mens pole vaulting competition anywhere else because the pages for all other Games remained empty, even for London 2012.
And of course since the "Contact IAAF" webpage doesn't work either, there is no way to tell them.
This page reminds me of the new Berlin airport, but at least there is a small chance the airport will eventually be fixed.
norunner

Postby Daisy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:00 pm

May be they should link to wikipedia?

Beijing 2008 mPV

Is it accurate?
Daisy

Postby gm » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:55 pm

Looks like they forgot to put the passes on the series
gm

Postby Jamiesonrc » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:36 am

I used to go to the IAAF website frequently to keep up with T&F.

Hardly bother now - simply put its "CLUNKY" and definitely a backwards step on the old site.

Now its "Leichtathletik.de" and T&FNews
Jamiesonrc

Postby Jnathletics » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:48 am

I really hate the WC competitor feature. It is slow uploading the competitor list in each event and there are no performance marks included.

Where is Sgt. Friday when you need him? "Just the facts..."
Jnathletics

Postby gh » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:52 pm

I've got a new kvetch

if you go to the IAAF page for Sopot, you get the Friday timetable. But it's only the morning timetable; you have to hit an arrow to make the afternoon session open up. But guess what? If you do that, and then select an event in the afternoon session, when you go back to the previous page the window has collapsed again, so you need to hit the arrow all over again to make the afternoon once more visible.
gh

Postby norunner » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:40 am

gh wrote:I've got a new kvetch

if you go to the IAAF page for Sopot, you get the Friday timetable. But it's only the morning timetable; you have to hit an arrow to make the afternoon session open up. But guess what? If you do that, and then select an event in the afternoon session, when you go back to the previous page the window has collapsed again, so you need to hit the arrow all over again to make the afternoon once more visible.
It's been like that ever since the first live event with the new design. I think they stopped fixing that page altogether because all the many errors i noticed during the last 6-8 months are still there.
norunner

Previous