T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results No1 David Rudisha

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results No6 Kelly Hol

Postby Gabriella » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:52 am

Flumpy wrote:
w100mh 92 51 points

Twas fantabulous. I love a shocker and this has to be amongst the biggest in T&F history. Even if Gail hadn't fallen Patoulidou would still have run the race of her life, as it was she ended up with the gold. Met her many years later at the WI's in Lisbon. I was super excited and she couldn't understand why we wanted her picture taken with her. I was far less enthused when I met Carl Lewis :?

(on the w200m from 88 I remember being blown away, dumbstruck, and thinking OMG how can this woman do this??? My next thought was the East Germans aren't even going to medal, until HD outdipped Ottey on the line. I was as shellshocked as all the women in that final I think. Amazing, crazy, inhuman and surreal! How Kersee turned her into the ultimate running machine we will never truly know but it was an historic run)

w100mh..one of mine. It wasnt the best on times and certainly didnt have the best line up ever, but it did deliver excitement. Devers was off my radar going into the Games TBH. I knew who she was back in 88 as she was a great all-rounder and of course in 91 she ran well in the hurdles in Tokyo (but I challenge anyone who says they thought she would win the 100m gold; I'm sure no one believed she would - except maybe herself and Kersee) That she did win the 100m we then all thought the 100mh would be a formality and it was for 80m. Then her fantastic c0ck-up and spectacular fall across the line, to still finish in a fast time!

What was great about this was that the old guard in Donkova, the defending champion and WR holder, was able to medal in her last Olympics, as well as that crazy Greek Patoulidou.

I did feel a snippet of sorrow for Devers but then afterwards I must admitt I was happy she didnt win. Yes, this may come across as evil, but by 92 I was so over Kersee taking women from also rans to amazing world beaters. But she did make for a great race.
Gabriella

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results No3 MJ 200m '

Postby Flumpy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:18 am

I clearly remember Daley commentating on the semi final and him saying that her new found speed could be a hinderance in the hurdles and that she was getting too close. He said that if she wasn't careful she was going to crash into them :wink:
Flumpy

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results No6 Kelly Hol

Postby Rog » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:33 am

Gabriella wrote:Ha! You should read some of the transcripts from her interviews with the Stasi where they encourage her dislike for Gohr to motivate her in training, or excerpts from her autobiography.

Do you have any links to translated transcripts? I'd love to read them!
Rog

Postby eldanielfire » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:06 am

mump boy wrote:So the top 2 coming op today

Both in recent games
Both Men
Both WR
Both AOY on multiple occasions

It's an obvious 2 but unlike like the real world one wins going away makes the other look like an also ran !!

Who's our Greatest Olympic Moment Champ ??

I'm guessing Bolt is pbviously one of them. The other Rudisha?

My top 20 anyways:

20 - Michael Johnson 200m-400m double Gold Atlanta 1996
19 - Bob Beamon Long Jump Gold and world record Mexico city 1968
18 - Eric Liddle 400m Gold world record Paris 1924
17 - Harold Abrahams 100m Gold Paris 1924
16 - Mary Peters pentathlon Gold - Munich 1972
15 - Ann Packer Gold 800m Tokyo 1964
14 - Irina Privalova - 400m hurdles Gold 2000
13 - Alberto Juantorena 400m+800m double Gold Montreal 1976
12 - Yuliya Zaripova 3000m Steeplechase Gold London 2012
11 - Natalya Antyukh 400m Hurdles Gold London 2012
10 - Jessie Owens 4 Golds 1936 Berlin
9 - Sebastian Coe 1500m Gold 1980 Moscow
8 - Women's 4x100m world record by USA 2012 London
7 - Yelena Isinbayeva world record Beijing 2008
6 - Men's 4x100m british Gold 2004 Athens
5 - Usain Bolt 100m 2008 Beijing
4 - Denise Lewis Heptathlon Gold 2000 Sydney
3 - Sally Gunnell 400m Hurdles 1992 Barcelona
2 - Jessica Ennis Gold Heptathlon 2012 London
1 - Kelly Holmes 800m Athens 2004
eldanielfire

Postby Flumpy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:47 am

eldanielfire wrote:4 - Denise Lewis Heptathlon Gold 2000 Sydney

There seems to be a theme here :mrgreen:
Flumpy

Postby John G » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:59 am

Daisy wrote:I just checked my list and all of mine have gone now.

1 1984 Daley Thomson, Decathlon; especially third throw in discus.

"It's a better one, it's a better one, it's a better one!"

THE moment of his career.
John G

Postby eldanielfire » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:42 pm

Flumpy wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:4 - Denise Lewis Heptathlon Gold 2000 Sydney

There seems to be a theme here :mrgreen:

All the years have a 2 in them? 8-)
eldanielfire

Postby Johnners » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:38 am

John G wrote:
Daisy wrote:I just checked my list and all of mine have gone now.

1 1984 Daley Thomson, Decathlon; especially third throw in discus.

"It's a better one, it's a better one, it's a better one!"

THE moment of his career.

Wasn't it Ron Pickering commentating? Loved that moment, as well.....

Just looking at a previous post of Gabriella's about Flo-Jo's WR......the headline on teletext before reading the story was 'Joyner breaks world record'. Although I knew about Flo-Jo's 10.89 in San Diego pre OT'88, I automatically assumed from the teletext headline that Al Joyner had taken the TJ record. That is how unexpected it all was for me. When I read that it was actually FJ and 10.49 I just thought it was faulty - and at that point did not know the wind was (supposedly) 0.0 either. When I ultimately saw the other results from those quarters (Echols 10.83, Diane Williams 10.86, Alice Brown 10.92), I knew there was no doubt they were all windy times. To this day I cannot believe they were all ratified.
Johnners

Postby Daisy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:31 am

Johnners wrote:Wasn't it Ron Pickering commentating?

It was. One of the best commentators ever. Do you remember "And this one man's blazing speed, that has torn this field asunder!" ?
Daisy

Postby user4 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:29 am

This poll is more of a test to determine the age of the respondent than anything else.
user4

Postby Daisy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:30 am

user4 wrote:This poll is more of a test to determine the age of the respondent than anything else.

Makes sense. I find it interesting to see where the old and young find common ground.
Daisy

Postby John G » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:35 am

Daisy wrote:
Johnners wrote:Wasn't it Ron Pickering commentating?

Do you remember "And this one man's blazing speed, that has torn this field asunder!" ?

My favourtie race ever! Ovett in Dusseldorf 1977. I added that to the end of a Big Audo Dynamite mix tape. The Great Man's finest moment.

(I'm even boring myself now).
John G

Postby user4 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:23 pm

The right answer is Jesse Owens 1936 . :)
user4

Postby mump boy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:10 am

I'm sure you know who they are but one of our top 2 got 13 votes and the other streaked ahead with 17 votes !!

2nd

13 Votes Usain Bolt 100m '08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYHuylQcF8o

This was just one of those jaw dropping moments. We all knew he'd win and maybe break the WR but no one was expecting a 9.6 while stopping running with 25m to go :shock: :shock:
mump boy

Postby bobguild76 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:49 pm

eldanielfire wrote:I voted MJs 96 as well. It is one of those T&F feets that seems so glorious and with the rose tinted specs on has never even been in the slightest bit tainted in history, unlike many other feets or athletes.

Michael Johnson to this day seems dope and cheat free, has a character you can both love and admire, gives back to the sport and comes over as a top gentleman without being bland. On top of that he still generously gives credit where credit is due to all new Athletes, evn those who threaten his legendary status. He bigs them up, promotes them and seems to be a father figure and mentor for many of them. He is literally the perfect sportsman, a great sports personality and a wonderful ambassador in retirement, he is everything you want your sporting hero to be. That just makes his achievements all the more wonderful when looking back on them.

Been gone for a week & just about died from T&F withdrawal! It's great to be back just in time for the Top 2.

#3. MJ's 200 was my #2. Yes, Bolt has been faster, and done so more often and with seeming ease. But MJ absolutely crushed the existing record. I think Ato Bolden said something along the line of, "1932?! That's when my Grandpa was born!" It was so amazing at so many levels ...

- he had the failure from 1992 weighing heavily,
- He had already extended himself from the 400 & the rounds of the 200, and
- Home crowd, pressure to deliver.
It was, as Vizzini said in The Princess Bride, inconceivable.

#2. Bolt's 100. This should have been on my list, but for some reason (think brain freeze) I left it out in favor of his 200. But he was simply on another planet. The greatest sprinter of all time, ahead of Carl Lewis.

#1. This was my number 1 also. And I know exactly when it went from a gold medal performance to the #1 Olympic memory of all time . . . the third 200. When Rudisha attacked from 400 to 600, it was the most amazing, jaw-dropping, fierce, lay it all on the line move I have ever seen. When I watched it on TV (from South Africa with the amazing BBC commentary), I was jumping up and down, screaming, willing Rudisha to a WR victory.

I watch the race over and over on YouTube, and always watch that third 200 several times. Yes, he "only" took down the existing WR by a tenth (never mind it was an amazing WR to begin with). But the man and the moment and the quality of the field and the manner in which he went for it made this my absolute favorite Olympic memory.

Thanks again, mump boy, for running this thread. Every one of us qualifies as one of gh's hardcore track and field fans, and we wouldn't have it any other way. As I have read the comments during this thread, referring to my stack of old T&FN's, dating back to 1971 w/ the '60 & '64 Olympic issues (photocopied from my college coach Al Cantello) ... this has been the walk down Memory Lane of a lifetime. Thanks again!!!
bobguild76

Postby mump boy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:56 am

bobguild76 wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
#1. This was my number 1 also. And I know exactly when it went from a gold medal performance to the #1 Olympic memory of all time . . . the third 200. When Rudisha attacked from 400 to 600, it was the most amazing, jaw-dropping, fierce, lay it all on the line move I have ever seen. When I watched it on TV (from South Africa with the amazing BBC commentary), I was jumping up and down, screaming, willing Rudisha to a WR victory.

Winner hasn't been announced yet, don't jump the gun or i'll show you a red card !! :wink:
mump boy

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results No2 Bolt 100m

Postby mump boy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:59 am

So here it is your Official Favourite Olympic Moment

It won't be a surprise to anyone, especially as a whopping 17 of you voted for it. I'm guessing that it's recent proximity helped and i'm not sure that it will look quite so amazing in 20 years time but it was certainly one of the most astonishing things i've ever seen in a track. It helps that he is so perfect, such a class act, gorgeous running action, incredibly handsome, polite, humble, brave

You may have guessed but I <3 DR

No1

17 Votes David Rudisha 800m London 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKEOjWEzVGs

:D :D
mump boy

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results No1 David Rud

Postby DrJay » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:39 am

Just watched the race...again!...wow! He looks so easy. How fast could he run if he had another 1:40.something guy stride for stride with him down the second backstraight? Boggles the mind, that scenario.
DrJay

Postby bobguild76 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:26 am

mump boy wrote:
bobguild76 wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

Winner hasn't been announced yet, don't jump the gun or i'll show you a red card !! :wink:

AUGH! The dreaded False Start! Now I know what Bolt must have felt like in Daegu, and Drummond at the '03 WC in Paris. But I promise I won't hog this site for an hour while shouting "I didn't post it!" :D

Dunno why, but when I read your posting of #2, for some reason, I thought I saw you also list Rudisha's #1. My bad ... :(
bobguild76

Postby nevetsllim » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:22 am

I had Rudisha's WR in fourth. That performance actually gave me goosebumps and I still get a bit of a tingle when I watch it back now. I wasn't expecting a WR simply because I've grown up with championship 800m races invariably being forgettably slow affairs where one of the favourites normally runs a stinker tactically so to see someone attack it with such verve and tenacity was incredibly refreshing.

Mump, perhaps not the best time to mention this but I just checked my list to see where I placed it and I don't think my No.18 came up. :P
nevetsllim

Postby eldanielfire » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:02 am

Interesting number 1. I might be on my own in saying I don't really rate it as highly as everybody else. The insane stats list of performances at the end of the race was great but the race itself was just not that memorable without the times at the end or as big or as important a moment as many others and he didn't take that much off the WR. I'm sure that is just me, it didn't do anything to me that was great or special.
eldanielfire

Postby mump boy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:56 am

To set a gun to tape WR in a distance event, with no pacemakers would be astonishing enough but to do it on the biggest stage possible is out of this world
mump boy

Postby eldanielfire » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:42 pm

mump boy wrote:To set a gun to tape WR in a distance event, with no pacemakers would be astonishing enough but to do it on the biggest stage possible is out of this world

For something like the 800m I don't think pacemakers are so important, in fact Seb Coe said at times they could screw things up. As I said it just didn't do it for me like others. Good race but for me not the great thing it is for some.
eldanielfire

Postby TN1965 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:15 pm

No pacemakers? Rudisha was the pacemaker for the other seven!
TN1965

Postby wallaby » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:26 pm

Hmm. I'm in the 'it wasn't THAT great' camp. It was a pretty dull race - apart from watching the clock. Sure, any WR is a great performance - but he was favorite, there was no real danger in the field, the race went exactly to his plan, he was in top form going in - I don't see it as particularly outstanding compared with the hundreds of other WRs set over the years (plenty of those at the Olympics, by favorites).
wallaby

Postby gh » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:01 pm

eldanielfire wrote:
mump boy wrote:To set a gun to tape WR in a distance event, with no pacemakers would be astonishing enough but to do it on the biggest stage possible is out of this world

For something like the 800m I don't think pacemakers are so important, in fact Seb Coe said at times they could screw things up. As I said it just didn't do it for me like others. Good race but for me not the great thing it is for some.

Nonetheless, Coe was the beneficiary of a rabbit in his WR. Indeed, after Juanto at the '77 WUG, every WR until Rudisha had pacers.
gh

Postby mump boy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:46 am

wallaby wrote: there was no real danger in the field.

:?

The silver medallist went 3rd on all time list and 3rd placer 10th, all under the previous OG record. Also in the field there's Kaki (6th) and Aman who is =10th all time from last year.

DR may have been the favourite but to run how he did (49.2 at bell) took extraordinary bravery, talent and self belief. Most other athletes in his position would have made Kitum sacrifice himself for their good but DC is too much is a class ac for that.
mump boy

Postby John G » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:26 am

I'm with bobguild. There was a moment half way down the back straight where he seemed to select his final gear, destroying Aman and Kaki. I don't think there was much margin for error there.
John G

Postby pickle47 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:24 pm

Also in the "not that great" camp, for the reasons already listed above. Don't get me wrong, it was a super race, but if you had asked me which OG running event I thought had the greatest probability of going in a WR, I would have said the M800. Rudisha clearly had more in tank after taking just snippets off the previous WR in his other two races, and still does.

And Rudisha has led pretty much every race, fast or very fast, from gut to tape. It's his style. I wonder, if he were to hang back the first 400, if he could muster a fast enough kick and win a 1:47 race from that same field. Maybe not. I don't think it took more guts for him to take the OG800 out from the gun; he really had no other choice. In his position as the best in the world right now, it's actually the safest, and surest, way for him to race.

Really not trying to knock him down a peg, I just put other races well before that one in terms of "greatness".
pickle47

Postby Daisy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:13 pm

Rudisha did not make my top twenty. I think the reason was I did not see the race on TV but saw the result on the internet. I ended up watching the actual race much later, and obviously knew the result. If I had seen it 'live' without knowing the outcome it may well have been in my top twenty.

Mump, thanks for another fun thread. But save those pieces of paper, just in case there needs to be a recount :twisted:
Daisy

Postby gh » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:25 pm

pickle47 wrote:....
And Rudisha has led pretty much every race, fast or very fast, from gut to tape. It's his style. ...

Sorry, but completely wrong. Rudisha has broken 1:41 on 6 occasions other than London. Each had a paid rabbit in the lead at halfway:

1:41.01 Rieti '10
—(Tangui 48.20)
1:41.09 Berlin '10
—(Tangui 48.65)
1:41.33 Rieti '11
—(Tangui 48.60)
1:41.51 Heusden '10
—(Tangui 49.14)
1:41.54 Paris '12
—(Tangui 49.37)
1:41.74 NYC '12
— (Scherer 49.09)

It's obvious the secret to the London WR was getting that damned Tangui out of the way! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
gh

Postby Rog » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:47 am

I thought David Rudisha was one of the stars of the Olympics, but I didn't vote for him either. Two reasons - yes, he broke the world record with a front running tactic, but that is the best way for him to run, he doesn't have a lightning fast kick. What was impressive was that he set a world record without pacemakers. The use of pacemaking has made all distance events boring and predictable to me, and I'm sure it has contributed greatly to the rise of the sprinters and hurdlers to being the sport's stars.

The bigger reason for me not voting for Daniel was that I think the 800 hasn't developed as much as other events yet. The record is only about 0.8 faster than it was 30 years ago. In that time the 1500 record has improved by over 5 seconds, so by middle distance standards progress in the 800 is comparatively lacking. In comparison to sprint events, the sea level 400 best has improved by 1.1 and the 200 by 0.8 in the same period - one would think the margins by which a sprint record could improve would be much smaller than a middle distance event, but not so. Even the sea level 100 record has improved by nearly half a second!

My number 1 was Usain Bolt in Beijing - beating a world record in the 100 despite basically slacking off with 20 to go is unheard of. In London Usain didn't break any individual records, but he was competing against himself in this regard, and I think his sprint records are the strongest of all world records. Despite what people say about Rudisha, I would still say Usain was the star athlete of the Games, not just in terms of star quality, but in terms of performance as well.
Rog

Postby John G » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:40 am

[quote="pickle47"]And Rudisha has led pretty much every race, fast or very fast, from gut to tape. I don't think it took more guts for him to take the OG800 out from the gun; he really had no other choice. In his position as the best in the world right now, it's actually the safest, and surest, way for him to race.
quote]

I differ in one respect. Yes - his best tactic was gun to tape. However, there is a big difference between the gun to tape effort in Daegu - slow it down in the second 200; go through 400 in 51.3and then gradually wind it up to finish in the 1:43s - and the gun to tape effort in London.

The risk of mis-timing his effort and blowing up were much greater in London. Just ask Amann and Kaki: they should have finished in the top 4 but blew up due to the early pace.
That's why I agree it was a brave effort.
John G

Postby mump boy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:54 am

I've forgotten to post the points for the last 2

I'm not 100% sure but i think while David had considerably more votes he was lower ranked on average then Usain. A lot of people voted for David but not necessarly high

I'll dig out the points when i get home and we can work it out

(don't hold your breath it's my b'day and i may not be home for a while !!)
mump boy

Postby Rog » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:34 am

Happy Birthday Mump!

I can't remember whether or not you and Flump are twins - if so, Happy Birthday to Flump as well!!
Rog

Postby bobguild76 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:53 am

Happy Birthday Mump! Enjoy the day. :-)
bobguild76

Postby Fortius19 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:33 am

Happy Birthday Mump! Thanks for the thread!!

I have my pics at home. I think I've only commented on about ten of them so far.
Fortius19

Postby bobguild76 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:00 am

Rog wrote:I thought David Rudisha was one of the stars of the Olympics, but I didn't vote for him either. Two reasons - yes, he broke the world record with a front running tactic, but that is the best way for him to run, he doesn't have a lightning fast kick. What was impressive was that he set a world record without pacemakers. The use of pacemaking has made all distance events boring and predictable to me, and I'm sure it has contributed greatly to the rise of the sprinters and hurdlers to being the sport's stars.

The bigger reason for me not voting for Daniel was that I think the 800 hasn't developed as much as other events yet. The record is only about 0.8 faster than it was 30 years ago. In that time the 1500 record has improved by over 5 seconds, so by middle distance standards progress in the 800 is comparatively lacking. In comparison to sprint events, the sea level 400 best has improved by 1.1 and the 200 by 0.8 in the same period - one would think the margins by which a sprint record could improve would be much smaller than a middle distance event, but not so. Even the sea level 100 record has improved by nearly half a second!

My number 1 was Usain Bolt in Beijing - beating a world record in the 100 despite basically slacking off with 20 to go is unheard of. In London Usain didn't break any individual records, but he was competing against himself in this regard, and I think his sprint records are the strongest of all world records. Despite what people say about Rudisha, I would still say Usain was the star athlete of the Games, not just in terms of star quality, but in terms of performance as well.

Excellent points, Rog. But comparisons are always affected by when we start them ... For example, if we take the 800, it depends on if we begin before or after Seb Coe. Using 1976 Olympics as a starting point, here are the relative improvements in track (not including hurdles) WRs;

9.95 - 9.58 (3.72%)
19.72 - 19.19 (2.69%)
43.86 - 43.18 (1.55%)
1:43.50 - 1:40.91 (2.50%)
3:32.16 - 3:26.00 (2.90%)
8:08.02 - 7:53.63 (2.95%)
13:13.0 - 12:37.35 (4.50%)
27:30.8 - 26:17.53 (4.44%)

Granted, the first three are all altitude aided, so the percentage would be marginally higher. That underscores just how strong Usain Bolt's 100 record is, which very well may stand as WR for a looooong time.

But what this also shows, is how incredible the 5 & 10k records are. What Geb & Bekele have done to the respective WRs is absolutely stunning. Did they profit from pacemakers? Yes. But distance running is different from sprinting in so many ways, and they (Geb & Bekele) still had to finish the race to set the record. IMHO, what they have done in the distances is every bit as amazing as what Bolt has done in the sprints, and their WRs are every bit as strong.
bobguild76

Postby eldanielfire » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:06 am

John G wrote:
pickle47 wrote:And Rudisha has led pretty much every race, fast or very fast, from gut to tape. I don't think it took more guts for him to take the OG800 out from the gun; he really had no other choice. In his position as the best in the world right now, it's actually the safest, and surest, way for him to race.

I differ in one respect. Yes - his best tactic was gun to tape. However, there is a big difference between the gun to tape effort in Daegu - slow it down in the second 200; go through 400 in 51.3and then gradually wind it up to finish in the 1:43s - and the gun to tape effort in London.

The risk of mis-timing his effort and blowing up were much greater in London. Just ask Amann and Kaki: they should have finished in the top 4 but blew up due to the early pace.
That's why I agree it was a brave effort.

On that note, why then is Gulnara Galkina's Beijing Steeplechase World Record not so popular? That was an incredible run from start to finish. I know it was a new event but as people have pointed out the 800m World Record improvements have hardly been spectacular and I suspect the Rudisha 800 memory will dim with time.
eldanielfire

Postby Flumpy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:26 am

eldanielfire wrote:I know it was a new event but............

And there you have the answer.
Flumpy

PreviousNext