Russians trying to buy influence in WADA

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Russians trying to buy influence in WADA

Postby Jnathletics » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:55 pm

http://en.rian.ru/sports/20130311/179937583/Doping-Russia-Donates-Extra-to-WADA-for-Influence.html

Russians buying influence in WADA, Scary IMHO!!!!!! sounds like they are trying to be helpful, but the article comes off more about the Russians wanting more influence/control and/or power with in WADA. Progress is finally be made in policing the Russians without them doing it themselves, as passport and international retesting seems to be what is catching the Russians.

Now we are going to let the Russians have more control internationally when they can't do a proper job of policing themselves?!?! A scary thought IMHO. :twisted:
Jnathletics

Re: Russians trying to buy influence in WADA

Postby pakillo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:14 am

WADA wants to increase its revenue, nothing new. WADA said few years ago it may also use sponsorship to generate funds. Do I like it? No. But do we actually know who's been sponsoring and influencing WADA so far when this looks so scary?
pakillo

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:19 am

A big enough 'difference in degree' is a 'difference in kind', but it is not clear that this is enough different than Armstrong's donations to the UCI to buy drug testing equipment, etc.
26mi235

Postby gh » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:24 am

I'm thinking the original article suffers mightily in the translation from the original Russian.
gh

Postby norunner » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:55 am

Reminds me of an article i just read in a german newspaper. The german government is trying to kickstart a program to teach our kids how to eat healthy. One of the sponsors of the program is...McDonalds...
norunner