slow runners, low jumpers, and short throwers

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

slow runners, low jumpers, and short throwers

Postby spammer » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:14 pm

I enjoy watching especially slow runners, low jumpers, and short throwers because it feels like an ordinary girl or guy getting their 15 minutes of fame, which is cool to me. A notable example of this was Soleau Tuvalu in the 2011 World Championship 100m
( see link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI2P14hvuBw ) he ran a PB 15.66 in that race. It took guts for the guy to go out there on a world stage like that. Who is an especially slow runner, low jumper, or short thrower that you've enjoyed the most over the years? Thanks for taking the time to reply!
spammer

Re: slow runners, low jumpers, and short throwers

Postby Olli » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:24 pm

I don't know if I enjoyed it, but the record time of monopolizing the track might be held by a Haitian who ran 10.000m (heat) in ca. 42 min in Montreal 1976. As far as I remember, his name was Olmeus Charles (or was it Charles Olmeus?).

In other sports, some really bad competitors have become audience's favorites, such as the ski-jumper Eddie "Eagle" Edwards from UK and the swimmer nick-named "Eel" (whose name I have forgotten) from Equatorial Guinea.
Olli

Postby vencio2 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:54 am

I like it when the slow runners, low jumpers, etc. improve and become amazing!

I remember the 92 OG heptathlon and seeing the lone syrian athlete at the games finishing well down the field and feeling sorry for this poor woman who was getting outclassed by everyone else (the year before she'd also finished in a similar position at the 91 W Ch, just over 5,000 points).

Four years later and Ghada Shouaa won the gold :lol:
vencio2

Postby slowcat » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:12 am

It is history but Vessey flourished under Greg Brock's guidance.
slowcat

Postby slowcat » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:13 am

Fortget the previous note submitted under wrong category. Sorry
slowcat

Postby Olli » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:53 am

vencio2 wrote:I like it when the slow runners, low jumpers, etc. improve and become amazing!

Pekka Vasala participated in 1500m in 1968 Olympics and ran well over 4 min in his heat. Four years later he defeated the 1968 champion Keino to get the gold.
Olli

Postby no one » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:13 am

The marathoner who said "My country did not send me 5,000 miles to start the race; they sent me 5,000 miles to finish the race." Not basically slow - but injured for/during Oly games race - he had run 2:15 PR and several in 2:20 range, but ran 3:25. I liked how Greenspan (I think) portrayed that whole drama.... limping and in excruciating pain. I always liked the way he worded his "experience"
no one

Postby bambam » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:36 pm

no one wrote:The marathoner who said "My country did not send me 5,000 miles to start the race; they sent me 5,000 miles to finish the race." Not basically slow - but injured for/during Oly games race - he had run 2:15 PR and several in 2:20 range, but ran 3:25. I liked how Greenspan (I think) portrayed that whole drama.... limping and in excruciating pain. I always liked the way he worded his "experience"

John Stephen Akhwari

The eel (swimmer) was Eric Moussambani
bambam

Postby rhymans » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:26 pm

Two years after finishing last in the Mexican marathon, Stephen was good enough to run 2:15:05 for 5th in the Commonwealth Games
rhymans

Postby bambam » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:12 am

no one wrote:The marathoner who said "My country did not send me 5,000 miles to start the race; they sent me 5,000 miles to finish the race."

Never sure if he actually said that. Story from the 1984 Olympic Trials. Decathlon 1500 in the dark at LA Coliseum - I'm up in the press box with Zarnowski announcing. Its about 9 PM and there's about 2,000 people left in the stands. Some runner (can't remember who but he was from Campbell College near where I live) decides to run the 1,500 to finish the event although he had badly torn his hamstring earlier. He starts limping around the track and eventually ran about 8-9 minutes. But the crowd went crazy. He was about 2 laps down and they had about 3-4 minutes to cheer him after all the other runners had finished. Zarnowski starts going on about him. I remembered a quote from an old Bud Greenspan documentary about the Ancient Greeks, "Never ask for victory. Ask only for courage. For if you endure the struggle you bring to yourself. More importantly, you bring honor to us all." So I ran down to the announcing booth and told Zarnowski and he loves it, and intones it for the meager crowd to hear. Next day, the story of that 1500 runner is in the LA Times, and they use the quote, after asking me about the source - I told them it was Greenspan.

A few days later, Bud shows up in LA for the Trials. I tell him the story, and ask him, "By the way, who said that?" He replied, "Oh that? I made it up!" I was then FOTFLMAO.

So who knows if Akhwari really said that? Only Bud.

Rest in peace, Bud. We miss you.
bambam

Postby fasttrack85 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:47 pm

spammer wrote:I enjoy watching especially slow runners, low jumpers, and short throwers because it feels like an ordinary girl or guy getting their 15 minutes of fame, which is cool to me. A notable example of this was Soleau Tuvalu in the 2011 World Championship 100m
( see link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI2P14hvuBw ) he ran a PB 15.66 in that race. It took guts for the guy to go out there on a world stage like that. Who is an especially slow runner, low jumper, or short thrower that you've enjoyed the most over the years? Thanks for taking the time to reply!

How the hell did he get on the world stage?
fasttrack85

Postby wallaby » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:16 pm

The slowest ever marathon was run (or started) at the 1912 games. the Official finishing time was 54 years, 8 months, 6 days, 5 hours, 32 minutes and 20.3 seconds.

Here's the story:
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/2012/0 ... Uet07pYG5M
wallaby