2013 Adidas Grand Prix

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

2013 Adidas Grand Prix

Postby ShawtyRed » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:53 pm

New member here. I just wanted to know if anyone plans on going, or has been to events in the past? How is it for a huge track fan? I'm planning on going this year and would love a rundown of the experience. I'm the biggest Tyson Gay fan ever and he's the main reason why I'm going.

I saw the layout of the stadium and it looks like if you get good enough seats you'll be pretty close. Is there a chance I'd get to meet Tyson or see him after his race is over with? How does it all work once you attend an event like this? I'm trying to know as much as possible before I buy these tickets lol.
ShawtyRed

Re: 2013 Adidas Grand Prix

Postby mcgato » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:12 am

I've been to all but one of these meets. My comments/advice follows:
--Tickets: call in to get your tickets and choose your own seat. The algorithm that their online tickets buying center uses is idiotic. They will claim that 15 yards from the finish line in row 4 is better than on the finish line in row 5, because row 4 is closer to the track. Also avoid seats that will be near places where fans are likely to stand. I try to get section 101 or 102 in row 4 to 8. Closer than row 4 can be blocked by people standing on the rail.
--Parking: parking can be a bit of a hassle, so arrive early or take public transportation.
--Access to athletes: I never really tried to get autographs, so I have no comment here. I doubt that you could meet any of the top athletes. You can get really close, though, and get some good pictures.
--Seats: note that seats on the homestretch will be staring into the sun, so a hat with a visor and/or good sunglasses are helpful.
--Fans: there is traditionally a huge Jamaican contingent that attends. They can be a bit too vocal, but are usually fun to be around.
mcgato

Postby ShawtyRed » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:26 am

mcgato wrote:I've been to all but one of these meets. My comments/advice follows:
--Tickets: call in to get your tickets and choose your own seat. The algorithm that their online tickets buying center uses is idiotic. They will claim that 15 yards from the finish line in row 4 is better than on the finish line in row 5, because row 4 is closer to the track. Also avoid seats that will be near places where fans are likely to stand. I try to get section 101 or 102 in row 4 to 8. Closer than row 4 can be blocked by people standing on the rail.
--Parking: parking can be a bit of a hassle, so arrive early or take public transportation.
--Access to athletes: I never really tried to get autographs, so I have no comment here. I doubt that you could meet any of the top athletes. You can get really close, though, and get some good pictures.
--Seats: note that seats on the homestretch will be staring into the sun, so a hat with a visor and/or good sunglasses are helpful.
--Fans: there is traditionally a huge Jamaican contingent that attends. They can be a bit too vocal, but are usually fun to be around.

Thanks for the info about the seats. I was thinking of getting the diamond level package which would put me in section 201. I was contemplating sitting near the homestretch or near the finish line. I'm just trying to get a lot of pics of Tyson Gay when I go. Which would be best?
ShawtyRed

Postby jamboy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:42 am

mcgato wrote:I've been to all but one of these meets. My comments/advice follows:

I have been going to the NY meet every year since 2006. You are correct. Important to get tickets ahead of time. It is a small stadium. Seating capacity of around 7,000 and tickets typically sell out before the meet begins.

Meet attracts a huge contingent of Jamaican fans(similar to Penn Relays). Yes, we can get a bit vocal supporting our Jamaican athletes, however, it all in good fun however.

Parking can be a bit of a challenge and it has gotten alot better over the years. Now I believe they do have shuttle buses from some of the distant parking lots.

You can also take the train/shuttle bus to the meet like I did last year.

I have seen some of the top athletes hang outside the stadium after the meet and thus, you might just get a chance to meet them.
jamboy

Postby ShawtyRed » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:42 am

jamboy wrote:

I have been going to the NY meet every year since 2006. You are correct. Important to get tickets ahead of time. It is a small stadium. Seating capacity of around 7,000 and tickets typically sell out before the meet begins.

Meet attracts a huge contingent of Jamaican fans(similar to Penn Relays). Yes, we can get a bit vocal supporting our Jamaican athletes, however, it all in good fun however.

Parking can be a bit of a challenge and it has gotten alot better over the years. Now I believe they do have shuttle buses from some of the distant parking lots.

You can also take the train/shuttle bus to the meet like I did last year.

I have seen some of the top athletes hang outside the stadium after the meet and thus, you might just get a chance to meet them.

Ok thanks. Where do you normally sit when you go to the event? I'm still trying to decide between the homestretch and the finish line. I just want the best possible seating for the best pictures.
ShawtyRed

Postby mcgato » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:25 pm

I did the diamond level package last year, since I waited too long to get good tickets in the sections close to the finish. The seat was a pretty good vantage point to view the meet, but probably not good for pictures as it is a little too far from the track. It would be easy to drift down near the rail, squat down so as not to block people behind you and take pictures. Note that many others have the same idea, so it may get crowded. The best part of the diamond level was the ability to pop into the food/beverage area and get eats and drinks in about two minutes. Other sections would have to go to the concession area with really long lines.

I've had seats in section 101 in about row 6 or 8, which wasn't too bad for photos. A good zoom and the action is pretty close. The post race interviews are in front of this area, so it is easy to move down and get some good photos.
mcgato

Postby ShawtyRed » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:47 pm

mcgato wrote:I did the diamond level package last year, since I waited too long to get good tickets in the sections close to the finish. The seat was a pretty good vantage point to view the meet, but probably not good for pictures as it is a little too far from the track. It would be easy to drift down near the rail, squat down so as not to block people behind you and take pictures. Note that many others have the same idea, so it may get crowded. The best part of the diamond level was the ability to pop into the food/beverage area and get eats and drinks in about two minutes. Other sections would have to go to the concession area with really long lines.

I've had seats in section 101 in about row 6 or 8, which wasn't too bad for photos. A good zoom and the action is pretty close. The post race interviews are in front of this area, so it is easy to move down and get some good photos.

Thanks! I was wondering where those were held.
ShawtyRed