Best/worst T&F commentators

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Best/worst T&F commentators

Postby Jackaloupe » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:25 pm

Dear ol' Carol was notorious for her "she's saying to herself..." speculations.
Jackaloupe

Postby eldanielfire » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:03 am

mrbowie wrote:Michael Johnson and Denise Lewis were extremely good on the BBC athletics coverage from last year's London Olympics. They spoke with authority and looked good...especially Denise! Michael just might be the best ever.

I'm not so sure Denise seemed to have no idea who most of the Heptathlon field are and how they posed a threat to Jessica Ennis because repeating Chernova and Doobrinska over and over
eldanielfire

Postby marknhj » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:31 am

mrbowie wrote:Michael Johnson and Denise Lewis were extremely good on the BBC athletics coverage from last year's London Olympics. They spoke with authority and looked good...especially Denise! Michael just might be the best ever.

I watched London in London and agree, especially about Michael Johnson. He's by far the best American commentator I've ever heard (and one of the best period, or, I suppose, full stop).
marknhj

Postby KevinM » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:53 pm

Yipes. Lolo. Discuss.
KevinM

Postby vip » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:18 pm

Lolo was, at best, average and maybe I'm being kind, because she didn't contribute anything to the action. It's almost like she showed up 5 minutes before airtime. Where was the insight, except when it came to LSU athletes? She referred to athletes as "the girl/guy from Arkansas/Texas, etc." Too much "uh, um, ya know." Too much dead air (Dwight Stones was practically begging Lolo to initiate conversation). Too much emphasis on an athlete's "guts" (they all have guts, Lolo, that's why they're at the indoor national) and little else. Very suspect debut, and again, I'm being kind.

I blame the people in charge. You can't put someone on the air without preparation. This isn't a college TV lab. This is the big leagues, with professional people. It's insulting to those who paid their dues to just elevate Lolo, as though she'd been doing it her entire life.

But this is the same sport/network that employed Carol Lewis for dozens of years, so why should I be surprised? And I like Lewis Johnson, but please, ask a great question every now and then. Track gets such little respect that the powers-that-be could care less about the quality of the telecast.
vip

Postby Dutra5 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Lolo seemed unprepared and, as a lot of rookie broadcasters seem to do, was trying to say too much too quickly. I think with some work she could become ok.

On the other hand what is Larry Rawson's excuse? He couldn't count laps, misidentified runners all over the place, had incorrect splits. Speculated on splits incorrectly when they had already been clear. In short, I found him attrocious. He's been at it for years.
Dutra5

Postby vip » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:34 pm

Yes, Larry Rawson was typically bad, but that's not breaking any news. Why he keeps getting assignments is beyond me. He corrects himself dozens of times on air. Very poor. Is there such a lack of qualified announcers that the network must keep going to Rawson and trot out Lolo without an ounce of preparation or training? Maybe gh can chime in.
vip

Previous