T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results No1 David Rudisha

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results No6 Kelly Hol

Postby mump boy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:40 am

John G wrote:
Flumpy wrote: I know I'm alone in this but the 2012 Olympics fell a bit flat for me and 4 Gold or not Team GB underperformed. This was a fantastic night but none of the individual moments stand out for me in the way previous Olynpic wins have.

I read lots of comments from you and your brother in the run-up to The Games and worried for you both! You reminded me of myself whenever bands I've loved have become famous.

I said exactly that when we first got the games

Although the whole atmosphere in london was amazing over the summer the actual games fell a little bit flat for a number of reasons. Firstly we won too much across too many sports, i became blasé about winning gold never mind lesser medals. Also i love the excitement of having your whole world turned upside down and getting jet lag in your own living room when a champs is the other side of the world instead of a mile down the road.

Having said that last year was probably the best of my life and London 2012 contributed to that immensely. In fact most of the highlights (meeting Mary Rand and Tommie Smith) were directly related to 2012 if not specifically part of it) :D

I've just realised the reason last year was the best ever wasn't because i got married, had a child or the job of my dreams etc it was because i met Betty Cuthbert

I would imagine that this would make me quite sad person in many people eyes but i couldn't be happier :D
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:06 am

11 votes

5th Cathy Freeman 400m 2000 114 points

Never in the history of sport has one athlete had so much pressure and dealt with it so magnificently

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOVhDUkmIvk

Also a brilliant bit of Aussie commentary that i can't find in good quality online

"What a legend, what a champion"

"What a relief' :D
mump boy

Postby eldanielfire » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:14 am

Flumpy wrote:But Heike didn't wear lace gloves and snoods??? :? :lol:

I never understood the Flo Jo look appear, the nails were creapy, the one leg, weird and the whole look hasn't been copied for a good reason.
eldanielfire

Postby eldanielfire » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:22 am

mump boy wrote:
John G wrote:
Flumpy wrote: I know I'm alone in this but the 2012 Olympics fell a bit flat for me and 4 Gold or not Team GB underperformed. This was a fantastic night but none of the individual moments stand out for me in the way previous Olynpic wins have.

I read lots of comments from you and your brother in the run-up to The Games and worried for you both! You reminded me of myself whenever bands I've loved have become famous.

Although the whole atmosphere in london was amazing over the summer the actual games fell a little bit flat for a number of reasons. Firstly we won too much across too many sports, i became blasé about winning gold never mind lesser medals. Also i love the excitement of having your whole world turned upside down and getting jet lag in your own living room when a champs is the other side of the world instead of a mile down the road.

Interesting for the same reasons the Athletics Golds meant more to me last year. We didn't win any gold until Wednesday and had a couple of big misses, then a bit ofa flood of golds in sports I only cared about for a month last year. So by Saturday I was nervous enough and if I wanted one Gold to make the Olympics I would have been stuck between Grainger and Ennis. And if I ha to pick Ennis because a home games almost needs an Athletics Gold to make it a great Olympics. London 2012 needed an Ennis Gold basically.
eldanielfire

Postby drdan » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:04 am

No, but she was fierce :mrgreen:
drdan

Postby mump boy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:31 am

drdan wrote:

No, but she was fierce :mrgreen:

Was she ?? i never got fierce off Heike. GWen was fierce, Merlene was FIERCE

I found Heike a little boring

(runs and hides from Gabriella)
mump boy

Postby John G » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:25 am

[quote="mump boy]I've just realised the reason last year was the best ever wasn't because i got married, had a child or the job of my dreams etc it was because i met Betty Cuthbert

I would imagine that this would make me quite sad person in many people eyes but i couldn't be happier :D[/quote]

Sad? Not at all. My week can be made just by Jo Pavey saying hello as she overtakes me in the park.

BTW, I could provide a list of those athletes over the years who have said hello to me or my wife in Bushy Park and those who have not. It would make very interesting reading.. .. .. . ...
John G

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results No5 Cathy Fre

Postby mump boy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:53 am

By the way people Cathy Freeman was in 5th if you'f like to comment !!
mump boy

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results No7

Postby Flumpy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:25 pm

mump boy wrote:10 Votes

6th

Kelly Holmes Double 2004 145 points

My #2 and I've told this story on numerous occasions but here goes again.

I was working in Ibiza for the summer of 2004 but obviously arranged before I started the job to come back to the UK for 3 weeks to watch the Olympics. Mump was working in Athens so I stayed in his flat and watched the whole thing by myself. Coming up the the games I had real confidence that Kelly was going to do well. Myself and Jon had a running joke that we refused to talk about our actual predictions. 'Shhhhhh' we'd say to each other whenever the subject arose. I was pretty certain she was going to at least get a medal, I thought one could even be gold but I wasn't expecting the actual result at all.

The 800m is a bit of a blur to me. All I remember is screaming so much that I'm surprised the neighbours didn't call the police. I was shrieking and shrieking like a mad man and then when she crossed the line first I collapsed in a heap of sobs that didn't let up for ages. I've never cried so much in my entire life. I was a complete mess. Jon called me during my meltdown and all I could manage to utter was.

'I Can't. Speak. Now!!!' before promptly hanging up on him.

After this the 1500m was a foregone conclusion. She just looked so supremely confident. Jogging at the back, looking around, always knowing that she had the race in the bag.

This would have been a clear cut #1 for me if it wasn't for the immortal words............

"Ladies and Gentlemen. Celebrating 100 years of women's participation in The Olympic Games, the Olympic flame carried by Betty Cuthbert and Raelene Boyle"
Flumpy

Postby Daisy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:58 pm

mump boy wrote:By the way people Cathy Freeman was in 5th if you'f like to comment !!

I picked her! Mainly since it seemed more like watching a movie than a real sporting event. It's as if it all happened in slow motion.
Daisy

Postby John G » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:23 am

Daisy wrote:
mump boy wrote:6th Kelly Holmes Double 2004 145 points

She was my 4th Brit behind Thompson, Ovett and Ennis. Her racing savvy was very impressive in both races, you felt she was in control the whole time. Best, while I expected her to be in the hunt, I never expected the dominance she showed.

The precise 'moment' for me was half way down the home straight in the 800. I was really hoping she'd get silver but never thought gold was possible. As she hit the home straight I started screaming like a loon (something articulate like "She's going to do it, she's going to do it"). Then I went silent and stood open mouthed in utter shcck when I realised she was going to go one better. Her own look of utter disbelief at the end was priceless ( made better still when you have Crammy's commentary on in the background: "You've won it Kelly, you've won it!!")
John G

Postby John G » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:28 am

Daisy wrote:
mump boy wrote:By the way people Cathy Freeman was in 5th if you'f like to comment !!

I picked her! Mainly since it seemed more like watching a movie than a real sporting event. It's as if it all happened in slow motion.

Me too. I was in the stadium and never thought I'd hear a noise like it (but then I never expected to be at a home Olympics with a London boy leading the 5000 into the home straight). The moment that gets me is watching her sat on the track afterwards, unable to take in what she's done whilst 112,000 people go nuts.

With hindsight, I'm really glad that the other Cath that I was cheering didn't win!
John G

Postby eldanielfire » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:45 am

John G wrote:
Daisy wrote:
mump boy wrote:6th Kelly Holmes Double 2004 145 points

She was my 4th Brit behind Thompson, Ovett and Ennis. Her racing savvy was very impressive in both races, you felt she was in control the whole time. Best, while I expected her to be in the hunt, I never expected the dominance she showed.

The precise 'moment' for me was half way down the home straight in the 800. I was really hoping she'd get silver but never thought gold was possible. As she hit the home straight I started screaming like a loon (something articulate like "She's going to do it, she's going to do it"). Then I went silent and stood open mouthed in utter shcck when I realised she was going to go one better. Her own look of utter disbelief at the end was priceless ( made better still when you have Crammy's commentary on in the background: "You've won it Kelly, you've won it!!")

Kelly is actually my number one moment. Nobody I knew in real life had an idea of who she was. Having followed her career and been aware this was her last chance at gold I was desperate for her to win it. I remember being annoyed by a comment in Athletics Weekly about how she'll probably get bronze and me all the more determined to support her. The race it self was a masterclass of control and tension, you could see Holmes ruthlessly picked off every competitor off between 300m to 700m until that last 100m where it just because an all out sprint that Kelly had the upper hand but it was so damned tight, it was a one error of judgement at any point n that race would have lost it, gone a moment too early or too late it was over, if you took slightly too long to run round somebody or tried too early it was over, if you didn't have the exact gas in the tank at the end or left even an inch too much it was over.It was a race you knew Holmes was winning all the way and yet there were only inches in it the whole way. Kelly Holmes judged that race to perfection to the last inch, I can't think of any race with so much drama, so many key switches of position, so many dangers to track, so many fast finishes and of course a great and dominate rival to beat who was also attempting to run the race her way. And of course Cram's commentary, his best bar none. Both insightful, supportive and in the final straight passionate and bias in just the perfect way. You could tell he genuinely wanted Kelly to win that one on a personal level.
eldanielfire

Postby Rog » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:41 am

Is Flo Jo's 100 still in the mix, or were all her nominations included in the 200 vote that came 18th?
Rog

Postby mump boy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:18 pm

Rog wrote:Is Flo Jo's 100 still in the mix, or were all her nominations included in the 200 vote that came 18th?

I don't think the 100m had any votes :?
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:21 pm

11 votes

4th Zatopek triple 52 125 points 5 for mar, 1 for 5k, 5 for triple

I make no apology for combining votes for this one. Emil's achievement deserves to be this hight rather than languishing in the 20's for individual races

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6--kiYKx9kA
mump boy

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results No4 Emil Zato

Postby Pego » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:46 pm

I had it segregated, #1 for the marathon, #3 for 5000. Needless to say, Emil Zátopek is my all-time hero. I was hoping for a #1 overall.
Pego

Postby Daisy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:52 pm

Pego wrote:I had it segregated, #1 for the marathon, #3 for 5000. Needless to say, Emil Zátopek is my all-time hero. I was hoping for a #1 overall.

I didn't vote for any of his performances but I respect his achievements. It's just hard to get excited about something that happened a long, long, long time ago. ;)

I just watched the youtube and, in retrospect, I really should have voted for him.
Daisy

Postby Pego » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:06 pm

I was in a summer camp for most of Helsinki. We listened to it on radio.
Pego

Postby Rog » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:53 am

mump boy wrote:
Rog wrote:Is Flo Jo's 100 still in the mix, or were all her nominations included in the 200 vote that came 18th?

Flo Jo's 100 in 88 was my no.8 :roll: :D

I remember reading on teletext that she had run 10.49 in the US Trials and thinking the text had corrupted - no woman could run that fast. Soon after I saw footage of that qf run on TV and was struck by three things - firstly, that after running away from everyone, she strode straight round the bend like she was running a 200; secondly, that the runners-up also had extremely fast times - was there something wrong with the timer/wind machone?; and thirdly, there was a woman in the race whose arm action looked like she was either swatting flies, or bitch-fighting (check the video to see what I mean).

I wasn't sure Flo Jo was for real until she got to Seoul, and then we had definite proof with a 1st round 10.88, then a 10.62 qf. In the final, she got a great start and at the halfway point she pulled away from the field like a jet ("jets on her feet, as Marlies Gohr said). The moment that stays with me though is seeing her run from a head-on perspective for the first time. About 30m from the line she breaks into a wide grin and knows she has it won. She's hitting a speed that to this day is hers alone in the history of women's sprinting, she feels the joy of it, and through watching the video we get to share her joy with her. Wonderful.

The only comparison with Flo Jo has been watching Bolt in 08 - someone in Olympic sprint finals who was shockingly better than the rest of the world's best. Of course Usain has gone on to back those performances up, and Flo Jo never did, to the consternation of many. Personally, it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of her great performances. Anjella Issajenko says in her book that Flo Jo was a likeable woman without the ego of the other sprinters. Good for her. She was a one-off; a flamboyant beauty who was also an introverted artist, as well as being the fastest woman of all time.
Rog

Postby John G » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:44 am

Rog wrote:
mump boy wrote:

Flo Jo's 100 in 88 was my no.8 :roll: :D

I remember reading on teletext that she had run 10.49 in the US Trials and thinking the text had corrupted - no woman could run that fast. Soon after I saw footage of that qf run on TV and was struck by three things - firstly, that after running away from everyone, she strode straight round the bend like she was running a 200; secondly, that the runners-up also had extremely fast times - was there something wrong with the timer/wind machone?; and thirdly, there was a woman in the race whose arm action looked like she was either swatting flies, or bitch-fighting (check the video to see what I mean).

I wasn't sure Flo Jo was for real until she got to Seoul, and then we had definite proof with a 1st round 10.88, then a 10.62 qf. In the final, she got a great start and at the halfway point she pulled away from the field like a jet ("jets on her feet, as Marlies Gohr said). The moment that stays with me though is seeing her run from a head-on perspective for the first time. About 30m from the line she breaks into a wide grin and knows she has it won. She's hitting a speed that to this day is hers alone in the history of women's sprinting, she feels the joy of it, and through watching the video we get to share her joy with her. Wonderful.

The only comparison with Flo Jo has been watching Bolt in 08 - someone in Olympic sprint finals who was shockingly better than the rest of the world's best. Of course Usain has gone on to back those performances up, and Flo Jo never did, to the consternation of many. Personally, it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of her great performances. Anjella Issajenko says in her book that Flo Jo was a likeable woman without the ego of the other sprinters. Good for her. She was a one-off; a flamboyant beauty who was also an introverted artist, as well as being the fastest woman of all time.

I had a picture of her on my bedroom wall wearing that cool US Kappa kit from the 1987 World Champs. I wasn't sure if I fancied her or Merlene Ottey the most (something that would have been of great concern to both ladies, I'm sure). I was quite dismayed by the change in appearance when she came out in 1988 and actually found the Seoul performances deeply depressing.
John G

Postby Johnners » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:09 am

mump boy wrote:
John G wrote:

Having said that last year was probably the best of my life and London 2012 contributed to that immensely. In fact most of the highlights (meeting Mary Rand and Tommie Smith) were directly related to 2012 if not specifically part of it) :D

I've just realised the reason last year was the best ever wasn't because i got married, had a child or the job of my dreams etc it was because i met Betty Cuthbert

I would imagine that this would make me quite sad person in many people eyes but i couldn't be happier :D

Mump I think you might feel differently if you guys had attended the T&F sessions. I have never experienced an atmosphere like it at any ch'ships and I am not sure we will experience its like ever again. Packed to the rafters for qualifiers with screaming fans - it was one of the best experiences of my life. Ya missed out!
Last edited by Johnners on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnners

Postby John G » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:34 am

Johnners wrote:
mump boy wrote:
John G wrote:

Mump I think you might feel differently if you guys had attended the T&F sessions. I have never expereinced an atmosphere like it at any ch'ships and I am not sure we will experience its like ever again. Packed to teh rafters for qualifiers with screaming fans - it was one of teh best experiences of my life. Ya missed out!

Mump'n'Flump always said they'd be frustrated if stuck next to non-afficiandos who didn't understand what they were watching. I could relate to that but in the end had to acknowledge that Joe Public made a noise that 80000 'true fans' never would have achieved. I have sat in amongst he British Athletics Supporters Club at The Palace for quite a few years. We get the best seats in the house but aside from a few knowledgeable nods of approval and the rustle of crisp packets as they tuck into their packed lunches there is little or no atmosphere and I always wish I'd sat on the back straight with the plebs cheering anything that moves.
John G

Postby Daisy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:17 am

Those crisp packets can get quite loud!

I had an embarrassing moment in Edinburgh. I was lucky enough to get a seat close to the finish line at their grand prix event (or what ever it was). When Johnson ran 19.85 for the 200m my first reaction was to jump up screaming, as you do (that was when a sub 20 was rare). Unfortunately, I was the only one in that section who noticed, or recognised the significance, of the time.
Daisy

Postby John G » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:21 am

Pego wrote:I had it segregated, #1 for the marathon, #3 for 5000. Needless to say, Emil Zátopek is my all-time hero. I was hoping for a #1 overall.

I didn't vote for the Marathon it but should have. Best bit: where he asks Jim Peters, who's flogging himself at WR pace, if the pace is fast enough. Peters thought it was kidology and said 'No', so Zatopek speeded up!
John G

Postby eldanielfire » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:50 pm

John G wrote:

I didn't vote for the Marathon it but should have. Best bit: where he asks Jim Peters, who's flogging himself at WR pace, if the pace is fast enough. Peters thought it was kidology and said 'No', so Zatopek speeded up!

And faded into the distance. Absolutely one of the best and funniest stories in Track and Field, along with the Jamaican relay team carrying him round on his lap of honour at the end of the marathon. I so wish a camera had caught that.
eldanielfire

Postby mump boy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:20 pm

Rog wrote:
mump boy wrote:

Flo Jo's 100 in 88 was my no.8 :roll:

Oh :lol:

I'll check in the morning :-S
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:30 pm

John G wrote:
Johnners wrote:
Mump I think you might feel differently if you guys had attended the T&F sessions. I have never expereinced an atmosphere like it at any ch'ships and I am not sure we will experience its like ever again. Packed to teh rafters for qualifiers with screaming fans - it was one of teh best experiences of my life. Ya missed out!

Mump'n'Flump always said they'd be frustrated if stuck next to non-afficiandos who didn't understand what they were watching. I could relate to that but in the end had to acknowledge that Joe Public made a noise that 80000 'true fans' never would have achieved. I have sat in amongst he British Athletics Supporters Club at The Palace for quite a few years. We get the best seats in the house but aside from a few knowledgeable nods of approval and the rustle of crisp packets as they tuck into their packed lunches there is little or no atmosphere and I always wish I'd sat on the back straight with the plebs cheering anything that moves.

I agree with both of the above. For years we were the youngest fans who travelled everywhere, even my mum refused to go as she was younger than most and didn't like their attitude :?

In retrospect i wish we had got some tickets but i had he hump about they way they were sold and not having any idea what we'd bought before arriving an realising we hated them

We did get tickets for the closing ceremony and the paralympics so we did get to witness it but you're right at least going to one session of track would have been preferable

Never mind, i met Harrison Dillard last year :D
mump boy

Postby Flumpy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:18 am

mump boy wrote:11 votes

5th Cathy Freeman 400m 2000 114 points

Never in the history of sport has one athlete had so much pressure and dealt with it so magnificently

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOVhDUkmIvk

Also a brilliant bit of Aussie commentary that i can't find in good quality online

"What a legend, what a champion"

"What a relief' :D

My favourite bit of commentary ever. Whoever it was that said it (Raelene?) spoke not just for Australia but for the whole world. It would have been catastrophic had Cathy lost.

This was my #4. Only have 1 left I think. I've missed my #7 along the way but I'm 100% certain itmust have already gone.
Flumpy

Postby mump boy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:42 pm

13 votes

3rd Michael Johnson 200m 96 165 points

I didn't vote for this but it totally mind blowing at the time !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FEh7hDpGp0
mump boy

Postby odelltrclan » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:21 pm

mump boy wrote:13 votes

This moment stands out for me above all in my Olympic watching history. That is one reason I did not list some of those others did (like Zatopek) because I was basing these on things I witnessed. I was too young to see Beamon or any of the great performances before him. Michael had failure at this event in the past and it he was going after a never before done double if I recall correctly. He simply left a jaw dropping performance. Something no one (or few) saw coming or believed was possible. Bolt's 200s since are great but do not compare because Michael brought the event to a new territory. Something Bolt (in my opinion) did similarly in the 100 in 2008. It doesn't get any better than these performances.
odelltrclan

Postby Rog » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:13 am

odelltrclan wrote:

This moment stands out for me above all in my Olympic watching history. That is one reason I did not list some of those others did (like Zatopek) because I was basing these on things I witnessed. I was too young to see Beamon or any of the great performances before him. Michael had failure at this event in the past and it he was going after a never before done double if I recall correctly. He simply left a jaw dropping performance. Something no one (or few) saw coming or believed was possible. Bolt's 200s since are great but do not compare because Michael brought the event to a new territory. Something Bolt (in my opinion) did similarly in the 100 in 2008. It doesn't get any better than these performances.

I slightly disagree. At the time of the 19.32 I thought it was the greatest of all men's track records, and couldn't fathom how it could have been achieved by someone who had never broken 10 for the 100. It was as if Michael Johnson had sprinted flat out for the entire race. It must have been close to an optimal performance, if not actually so. Usain's 200 records have since impressed me even more, however, and I suspect I'll have the opportunity to talk more about them soon enough!

Edited to add that I voted for this one as well!
Last edited by Rog on Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rog

Postby John G » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:00 am

odelltrclan wrote:

I agree with all of this. 40 seconds earlier I'd told a smug Merican sat need me that contrary to what he'd been telling everyone, MJ was not a shoe-in, and was in fact about to be beaten by Frankie. :oops:
John G

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results No3 MJ 200m '

Postby eldanielfire » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:01 am

I voted MJs 96 as well. It is one of those T&F feets that seems so glorious and with the rose tinted specs on has never even been in the slightest bit tainted in history, unlike many other feets or athletes.

Michael Johnson to this day seems dope and cheat free, has a character you can both love and admire, gives back to the sport and comes over as a top gentleman without being bland. On top of that he still generously gives credit where credit is due to all new Athletes, evn those who threaten his legendary status. He bigs them up, promotes them and seems to be a father figure and mentor for many of them. He is literally the perfect sportsman, a great sports personality and a wonderful ambassador in retirement, he is everything you want your sporting hero to be. That just makes his achievements all the more wonderful when looking back on them.
eldanielfire

Postby Daisy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:55 am

I voted for this, and partly because I was in the stadium and did actually witness the event. I was at the end of the straight watching them run towards us. When the clock stopped my jaw dropped. Frankie and Ato were amazing too.
Daisy

Postby John G » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:05 am

Daisy wrote:I voted for this, and partly because I was in the stadium and did actually witness the event. I was at the end of the straight watching them run towards us. When the clock stopped my jaw dropped. Frankie and Ato were amazing too.

I must have been sitting close to you! There was a French guy behind me who I'd chatted to through the session. For 10 minutes after the race, he was a picture of gallic, shoulder shrugging speechlessness - like a man's whose central beliefs had just been turned upside down.
John G

Postby mump boy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:00 am

So the top 2 coming op today

Both in recent games
Both Men
Both WR
Both AOY on multiple occasions

It's an obvious 2 but unlike like the real world one wins going away makes the other look like an also ran !!

Who's our Greatest Olympic Moment Champ ??
mump boy

Postby Daisy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:58 am

I just checked my list and all of mine have gone now.

20 1980 Allan Wells, 100m
19 1984 Joaquim Cruz, 800m
18 2000 Cathy Freeman, 400m; the spectacle, more like the finale of a movie.
17 1988 Paul Ereng, 800m; the perfectly timed run
16 1988 Jackie Joyner Kersee , LJ/Hept double
15 1996 Carl Lewis, LJ; culmination of an amazing career
14 1976 Alberto Juantorena, 400/800 double
13 1972 John Akii-Bua, 400H; WR from inside lane
12 1972/1976 Lasse Viren, 5/10; double, twice!
11 1992, Linford Christie, 100m
10 1984 Sebastion Coe, 1500m
9 2004 Kelly Holmes, 8/15 double
8 2008 Usain Bolt, 200m
7 1992 Kevin Young, 400mH; a ridiculous WR
6 2004 Hicham El Guerrouj/Bernard Lagat, 1500m; most amazing duel.
5 1980 Steve Ovett, 800
4 1996 Michael Johnson, 200m, 19.36!!!
3 2012 Jessica Ennis, Heptathon
2 1988 Ben Johnson, 100m; the spectacle of the whole thing! Amazing drama.
1 1984 Daley Thompson, Decathlon; especially third throw in discus.
Last edited by Daisy on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daisy

Postby Gabriella » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:30 am

drdan wrote:s'funny, as a teenage gayer (or almost, anyway) Heike was totally my icon. i maintain to this day a better lane draw would have seen her get closer to Flo-Jo!

So, like, I've missed so much but of course had to jump in here :D

Heike was my icon. I think it was because she did LJ/sprints (my favourite events as a child) she was so much taller than her competitors and because she was East German. Maybe the gayer thing made me empathize with those behind the iron curtain - they were the enemy and they were different - like poor little me when I was growing up. Also she was so darn good and a week didnt go past without her being mentioned in Athletics Weekly or Athletics Today.

I of course totally agree re the lane draw for the 200 final; being 6ft with super long legs is not condusive to running fast from lane 1. What bugged me was she came second in her SF yet Moller, 3rd in the first SF, got the inner lane, because she had a faster time. In addition, being made to run both sprints & the LJ was a heavy programme; 4 rnds of the 100m, LJ Q and LJ F and 4 rnds of the 200m, with no rest days and the LJF being the morning of the 200m SF and F, which were on the same day (no days off or 3 rnds nonsense like they get today!)

I remember reading about Flo Jo on Teletext too and I also thought it was a typo! I thought it must be 10.79, then realised the WR was 10.76 and thought there's no way it could be 10.69 so it must have been a WB of 10.89 and the silly people got it wrong. When I found it was 10.49 I nearly passed out.
Sadly/funnily/ironically Flo Jo's 10.49 was a contributing factor in Gohr retiring at the end of the 88 season; she said it completely de-motivated her and she felt what was the point in training. Such a shame as she originally planned to do another two years.
Gabriella

Postby Gabriella » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:38 am

mump boy wrote:Was she ?? i never got fierce off Heike. GWen was fierce, Merlene was FIERCE

I found Heike a little boring

(runs and hides from Gabriella)

Ha! You should read some of the transcripts from her interviews with the Stasi where they encourage her dislike for Gohr to motivate her in training, or excerpts from her autobiography. She was fierce in her own way :D (loved it in Indianapolis 87 where one journalist compared her to Carl Lewis; she replied she was not like him at all because she competed for the love of the sport and not for the money. Miaow)

Useless bit of info here, but what amused me was after 93 Renate Neilsen and Larisa Behreznaya trained with her and Eric Drechsler, as did Chioma Ajunwa in 97 after her 96 win. All 3 got bad injuries and never reached their best level again - I'm convinced it was a cunning plan to take out the opposition :P
Gabriella

PreviousNext