Caribbean Track fans need live feed of NCAA Indoors!!!!

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Caribbean Track fans need live feed of NCAA Indoors!!!!

Postby starboyunlimited » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:47 am

I find it rather unfair that ESPN 3 is the only medium in which the NCAA Indoor track and field championships could be viewed live. The Caribbean track fans are at a disadvantage as ESPN 3 could only be viewed by residence of the US who have the required cable subscription. Myself as an avid track fan and many other Caribbean fanatics would more than welcome the opportunity to view such a meet live even if it requires just a subscription fee.
starboyunlimited

Re: Caribbean Track fans need live feed of NCAA Indoors!!!!

Postby gh » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:25 am

when did fairness ever have anything to do with what commercial TV networks offer?
gh

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:56 am

That was my reaction, too.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby batonless relay » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:01 am

starboyunlimited wrote:I find it rather unfair that ... the only medium in which the NCAA Indoor track and field championships could be viewed live.

Live just isn't what it used to be, huh? Is there no other way that it can be viewed live? Granted Fayetteville has a crappy airport, and who wants to smell pigs (I thought the pig sooey thing was just made up! there are really pigs there, and they stink :shock: ), and Rogers reminds me of Omaha (come to think of it, so does the airport), and you probably have to fly a small plane or take unnecessary but necessary connecting flights. And, then you probably have to purchase a ticket, which only goes towards benefit of the sport and you probably have to sit on a harder seat than the one in your office or home.

Those sorry basketball fans don't realize how bad they have it. For their championships they MUST play in a domed stadium, usually seating over 40,000+ people. in 2014 it will be in 100,000 seat Cowboy Stadium. They're so stupid! Didn't they know that you don't have to have people there, you just have to watch the feed. And, then if it's a Bowl game in football the champs are played in a stadium that seats over 60,000 and sometimes there isn't even a roof. Those luddites. haha.

But track and field has real fans who can complain about horrible TV coverage or non-existent internet streaming feeds and take solace in the fact that we're so much smarter and better than those other sports that actually pack their stadiums while our stadiums for our biggest events go empty or half empty empty (Osaka, Beijing, Paris, Rome...). Maybe one day the USA can host a virtual World Championships since interested parties feel they're required to attend - without actually being there...live.

Isn't it great that we have fans like this who are willing to pay a subscription fee rather than go to the event?
batonless relay

Postby Tuariki » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:15 am

starboyunlimited wrote:I find it rather unfair that ESPN 3 is the only medium in which the NCAA Indoor track and field championships could be viewed live. The Caribbean track fans are at a disadvantage as ESPN 3 could only be viewed by residence of the US who have the required cable subscription. Myself as an avid track fan and many other Caribbean fanatics would more than welcome the opportunity to view such a meet live even if it requires just a subscription fee.

Why is it unfair? Do you get a live feed in the Caribbean for the European Champs, the Russian champs? I wasn't aware that the NCAA was a Caribbean based organisation.

As I imagine GH was hinting at, if there was any money to be made doing a live screen into the Caribbean I am sure ESPN 3 would give you a live feed. But as batonlessrelay says if you truly want live then jump on an aeroplane and hold on to your nose when you land.
Tuariki

Postby DentyCracker » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:58 pm

t is why I am flying back home from Ft. Lauderdale on Aug 10. Have to make sure I see the WC m100m final LIVE.
DentyCracker

Postby spammer » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:48 am

I definitely understand you're frustration. Starboy. That's exactly how I feel about not having access to the Carifta games. You guys atleast get Carifta games and the Jamaicans get Champs as well on live tv. I would rather have that that internet streams of NCAA indoors, but its a fair trade off. For the NCAA outdoors, you can order dvds off of Amazon
spammer