¶NCAA Women's Scores: #4 For Oregon


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

¶NCAA Women's Scores: #4 For Oregon

Postby dj » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:48 pm

After Day 1:

Kansas 20
Central Florida 14
Arizona St 13
Michigan 13
Clemson 10
LSU 10
Texas A&M 10
Arizona 10
Indiana St 10
Dartmouth 10
Oregon 9

Oregon has nine scoring chances tomorrow, Kansas and LSU each have seven, Arkansas has six.
dj
 
Posts: 6198
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: NCAA Women's Scores

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:31 pm

But those from Kansas and LSU have higher quality levels, I think.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16315
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: NCAA Women's Scores

Postby ATK » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:29 pm

After the Pole Vault, I like Kansas and Oregon for the top 2
ATK
 
Posts: 3804
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: NCAA Women's Scores

Postby Dutra5 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:37 pm

ATK wrote:After the Pole Vault, I like Kansas and Oregon for the top 2


Oregon has two potential scorers in the 3000m. Kansas has a scorer in the relay and TJ?

Oregon is up by 4.

edit: see that KU is ahead in the TJ. So I agree.
Dutra5
 
Posts: 1265
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:51 am

Re: NCAA Women's Scores

Postby j-a-m » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:42 pm

Dutra5 wrote:Kansas has a scorer in the relay and TJ?

Geubelle is leading the TJ, so Kansas is looking good for 10 points there. LSU has two TJers in the final, currently in 6th and 7th.

They're all in the 4x4. Biggest question prior to that is how many points Oregon gets in the distance event.
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: NCAA Women's Scores

Postby ATK » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:43 pm

Dutra5 wrote:
ATK wrote:After the Pole Vault, I like Kansas and Oregon for the top 2


Oregon has two potential scorers in the 3000m. Kansas has a scorer in the relay and TJ?

Oregon is up by 4.

edit: see that KU is ahead in the TJ. So I agree.

Oregon also has the relay.
ATK
 
Posts: 3804
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: NCAA Women's Scores

Postby j-a-m » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:54 pm

Now Oregon should be 3 points ahead of Kansas going into the relay.
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: NCAA Women's Scores

Postby j-a-m » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:55 pm

What would be the tie-breaker rules? Would KU win a tie-breaker based on most first-place finishes?
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: NCAA Women's Scores

Postby ATK » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:02 pm

so the last heat of the 4x4 will have no impact on the winning team since Arkansas is 12.5 behind Oregon
ATK
 
Posts: 3804
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: NCAA Women's Scores

Postby gktrack » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:08 pm

unless kansas has a faster time than oregon, and the last heat has a finisher or two in between their two times, thus giving more of a point differential to kansas vs. oregon, right?
gktrack
 
Posts: 1120
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Re: NCAA Women's Scores

Postby ATK » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:17 pm

gktrack wrote:unless kansas has a faster time than oregon, and the last heat has a finisher or two in between their two times, thus giving more of a point differential to kansas vs. oregon, right?

highest Arkansas can finish is 2nd. They are the only team in the final heat who can come in the top 3. But they cannot win...

Anyway after that 3.30, I like Oregon's chances for the win.
ATK
 
Posts: 3804
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: NCAA Women's Scores

Postby j-a-m » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:18 pm

gktrack wrote:unless kansas has a faster time than oregon, and the last heat has a finisher or two in between their two times, thus giving more of a point differential to kansas vs. oregon, right?

Right, in that sense the last heat can have an impact. Even the opposite would theoretically be possible, that someone finishes ahead of KU, thereby decreasing the point differential (like 6 points to 4 instead of 8 to 5).
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: NCAA Women's Scores

Postby j-a-m » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:20 pm

ATK wrote:Anyway after that 3.30, I like Oregon's chances for the win.

Yeah, that should be fast enough. Who ran for Oregon (I'm just checking the results, not watching the livestream)?
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: NCAA Women's Scores

Postby ATK » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:22 pm

j-a-m wrote:
ATK wrote:Anyway after that 3.30, I like Oregon's chances for the win.

Yeah, that should be fast enough. Who ran for Oregon (I'm just checking the results, not watching the livestream)?

Gardner - Okodogbe - Roesler - Francis

Oregon wins the title
Last edited by ATK on Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ATK
 
Posts: 3804
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: NCAA Women's Scores

Postby j-a-m » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:23 pm

ATK wrote:Gardner - Okodogbe - Roesler - Francis

Oregon wins the title

Thanks. And congratulations to Oregon.
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: NCAA Women's Scores

Postby ATK » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:24 pm

Arkansas has to win the 4x4 to come second
ATK
 
Posts: 3804
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: NCAA Women's Scores

Postby gktrack » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:26 pm

oregon splits: 53.64, 52.54, 52.64, 51.42
gktrack
 
Posts: 1120
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Re: NCAA Women's Scores

Postby aaronk » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:29 pm

Laura Roesler, with her 800 PR, and her leg here, has to be given a lot of credit for Oregon's victory!!
2013 could finally be HER year!!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3335
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: NCAA Women's Scores

Postby JumboElliott » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:30 pm

Is that Oregon's only title of the competition?
JumboElliott
 
Posts: 2117
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:46 am

Re: NCAA Women's Scores

Postby ATK » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:38 pm

JumboElliott wrote:Is that Oregon's only title of the competition?

Yup...
But besides Francis in the 400m, they over performed in every event based of the rankings coming in
ATK
 
Posts: 3804
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: NCAA Women's Scores

Postby Master Po » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:43 pm

JumboElliott wrote:Is that Oregon's only title of the competition?


Yes. (Not knowing the history of these meets -- Is it unusual for an NCAA championship team to have a win in only one event?)

And, to aaronk's point above re Roesler, yes...and...one would also give equal credit to English Gardner, who finished 2nd in the 60m and ran a leg on the 4x4...and...much credit to Hasay, who earned 13 points for Oregon. All of which is to say -- team effort. :)
Master Po
 
Posts: 2630
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: north coast USA

Re: NCAA Women's Scores

Postby nbonaddio » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:21 pm

Worth mentioning that Academy Of Women won the Division II title in their inaugural season.
nbonaddio
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: NCAA Women's Scores

Postby gh » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:36 am

1 Oregon UOR 56
2 Kansas UKS 44
3 LSU LSU 43
4 Arkansas UAR 42.5
5 UCF CFL 30
6 Clemson CLEM 28
7 Arizona UAZ 25
7 Arizona State AZST 25
9 Iowa State IAST 23
10 Georgia UGA 22
gh
 
Posts: 46307
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: ¶NCAA Women's Scores: #4 For Oregon

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:11 pm

Look for UCF to have a decent 4x100 outdoors.
Bruce Kritzler
 
Posts: 3125
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: ¶NCAA Women's Scores: #4 For Oregon

Postby ATK » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:34 pm

Bruce Kritzler wrote:Look for UCF to have a decent 4x100 outdoors.

Decent?

They were ranked 4th in the nation last year, but unfortunately dropped the baton at East prelim round so did not move on to nationals. They only lost one senior from that team, and Scott and Freeman have shown that they have already progressed drastically since last year.

Look for UCF to challenge the 4x100 title outdoors.
ATK
 
Posts: 3804
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: ¶NCAA Women's Scores: #4 For Oregon

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:28 pm

Wow, no kidding!
Bruce Kritzler
 
Posts: 3125
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: ¶NCAA Women's Scores: #4 For Oregon

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:04 pm

ATK wrote:
Bruce Kritzler wrote:Look for UCF to have a decent 4x100 outdoors.

Decent?

They were ranked 4th in the nation last year, but unfortunately dropped the baton at East prelim round so did not move on to nationals. They only lost one senior from that team, and Scott and Freeman have shown that they have already progressed drastically since last year.

Look for UCF to challenge the 4x100 title outdoors.

But their 2012 SB was only 43.35. Based on their footspeed, they should have run much faster than that. Footspeed is only half of the equation, the other half is stick passing. I'm going to go out on the limb and predict that not only will they not win the 4x100 in 2013, but they won't run sub-43. I hope they read this and are inspired to go out and prove me wrong.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10857
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: ¶NCAA Women's Scores: #4 For Oregon

Postby ATK » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:12 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
ATK wrote:
Bruce Kritzler wrote:Look for UCF to have a decent 4x100 outdoors.

Decent?

They were ranked 4th in the nation last year, but unfortunately dropped the baton at East prelim round so did not move on to nationals. They only lost one senior from that team, and Scott and Freeman have shown that they have already progressed drastically since last year.

Look for UCF to challenge the 4x100 title outdoors.

But their 2012 SB was only 43.35. Based on their footspeed, they should have run much faster than that. Footspeed is only half of the equation, the other half is stick passing. I'm going to go out on the limb and predict that not only will they not win the 4x100 in 2013, but they won't run sub-43. I hope they read this and are inspired to go out and prove me wrong.

Like you said foot speed is half the equation. With their SB from last years 43.35 team, I think it would equate to about a 42.4....putting them #2 all time...If any, how many teams have run their foot speed, or who has been the closest to it?

At the time of their relay SB, they were tied for #1 in the country. They ended up # 5 after 3 teams set SB at NCAA's and Texas ran faster at Big 12's. Obviously we cant go back, but I would have bet them at least 3rd if they were in the NCAA final.
Scott and Freeman have already improved on their 200m outdoor times indoors, as well as their 60m.
Also note that LSU has lost 2 members from their "winning" relay team. I cant imagine UCF not challenging for a win if they make the final along with the other top 5 or 6 schools.
ATK
 
Posts: 3804
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: ¶NCAA Women's Scores: #4 For Oregon

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:29 am

ATK wrote:Like you said foot speed is half the equation. With their SB from last years 43.35 team, I think it would equate to about a 42.4....putting them #2 all time...If any, how many teams have run their foot speed, or who has been the closest to it?

If you look at the all-time top-10 performance list, CFU certainly has more footspeed than some of those teams, who not surprisingly al ran for either LSU or Texas A&M. But keep in mind that at times, South Carolina, Texas and USC have all put a lot of footspeed on the track but yet were unable to crack the top 10, and that the 1996 LSU team which had the most footspeed in school history, is not in the top 10.

ATK wrote:At the time of their relay SB, they were tied for #1 in the country.

I think you're mistaken. CFU ran 43.35 on 4/21/12 but both LSU (42.99) and Texas A&M (43.21) had already run faster on 3/31/12.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10857
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], DCSIGMA, halharkness, JumboElliott, lonewolf, Sasuke, tgs3 and 7 guests