LSU women forfeit 2012 team title

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: LSU women forfeit 2012 team title

Postby dj » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:35 am

26mi235 wrote:Sorry, I thought that the italicized portion (following the previous remarks) would indicate that I am not in disagreement with dj's comments.

My error. I mistook your itals as emphasis, not sarcasm.
dj

Postby gh » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:33 pm

The NCAA has apparently decided to leave the national title as "vacated"; no promotion of Oregon to the top spot.
gh

Postby sprintdoc » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:10 pm

To not award Oregon the title is yet another example of NCAA lunacy. Unlike in a "team" sport like football or basketball where the contributions of one person can not be specifically determined, in track you can and its easy. If this is the result then why drug test? The athletes in the individual events need their proper respects as well as they need to be moved up just like with international medals. By not rewarding Oregon the title it is penalizing Oregon and others for playing by the rules and essentially saying LSU is still the champ since theirs was vacated. By not moving athletes into the vacated individual spots they are sending the wrong message.
sprintdoc

Postby sprintdoc » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:20 pm

Let me add. This is a policy that needs challenging in court and perhaps Oregon will pursue it in that manner. I am sure a certain UO alum would be happy to provide legal services to fight this issue. Certainly if I were an athlete or athletes in relay impacted I would do what I could legally to get what I won.

To make matters worse the damn NCAA's own website STILL shows pic of LSU team and all sorts of headlines on their title, etc! This is insane!
sprintdoc

Postby ATK » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:38 pm

Well I guess Oregon can boast that they are literally second to none...

:?
ATK

Postby Blues » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:54 am

sprintdoc wrote:To not award Oregon the title is yet another example of NCAA lunacy. Unlike in a "team" sport like football or basketball where the contributions of one person can not be specifically determined, in track you can and its easy. If this is the result then why drug test? The athletes in the individual events need their proper respects as well as they need to be moved up just like with international medals. By not rewarding Oregon the title it is penalizing Oregon and others for playing by the rules and essentially saying LSU is still the champ since theirs was vacated. By not moving athletes into the vacated individual spots they are sending the wrong message.

I understand, but in an NCAA meet, the fairest thing to do would be to redo all the scoring in events that the illegal participant participated in, which could result in a lot of final standings being altered.. Unlike in 2012, if the third place team was close to the second place team, and the DQ of the athlete in certain events would have allowed the third place team to pass the second place team to win the championship, might that be an issue? And what if the second place team ran a suboptimal team in the final relay event, based on the fact that they felt they had 2nd place sewn up but couldn't catch the first place team, and then, months later due to a DQ, they found out that doing that cost them the team title? I think this issue might be a little more complicated than a DQ in football or basketball...
Blues

Postby Tuariki » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:07 am

This Wazzu-ite who still enjoys seeing the Ducks TnF'ers getting their just desserts from the Cougs, even if rarely these days, hopes the Ducks takes the NZAA to Court to have the title awarded to the rightful winner; presumably the Ducks. Although Blues has it right and the scores should all be recalculated.
Tuariki

Postby sprintdoc » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:47 am

Blues you are right that ALL the results must be adjusted and rescored but that happens at a meet when someone is DQ'd for interference or a hurdle violation or such. There is testing at the meet and someone in violation should be removed from the meet and if the 4th place person gets to move to third then they deserve their award, etc.

While I get your point regarding the relay choice that is a choice and teams could consider a potential violation and trust me usually teams are trying to use max effort to even be 2nd or 3rd as there are big bonus checks tied to these spots for most coaches and the obvious pride to place as high as possible. I would agree if it were just to move from 24th up to 18th where there is no bonus involved. Most bonuses stop at top 10 team finishes.
sprintdoc

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:09 pm

It's my understanding that the NCAA told LSU that even if Hacket hadn't scored a single point, they still would have had to forfeit the title. The rule is that every athlete that a school brings to the meet must pass the drug tests, regardless of how they perform.
jazzcyclist

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:18 pm

They should do the same thing when they removed UTEP from the team championship in XC. In football, it would have been some other team that they would have had to beat but in T&F and XC, the only things that you cannot control to an extent is for those that did not make the event or the event final. In XC it will not have much of a differential impact on the scoring relative to the size of the scores and all the teams would have their scores decrease by about the same amount. Track there are many more 'non-neutral' changes.

It's my understanding that the NCAA told LSU that even if Hacket hadn't scored a single point, they still would have had to forfeit the title. The rule is that every athlete that a school brings to the meet must pass the drug tests, regardless of how they perform.

Is the drug test that was failed one from the NCAA or was it administered elsewhere? I am guessing from this that it was the NCAAs test at the meet.
26mi235

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:39 pm

26mi235 wrote:Is the drug test that was failed one from the NCAA or was it administered elsewhere? I am guessing from this that it was the NCAAs test at the meet.

Yes, she flunked a test that was administered after the 4x100 relay final.
jazzcyclist

Postby CookyMonzta » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:50 pm

gh wrote:The NCAA has apparently decided to leave the national title as "vacated"; no promotion of Oregon to the top spot.

Which smacks of abject laziness and cowardice all around. They have no justification to deny the Ducks what is rightfully theirs, and no way of explaining their way out of refusing to award them the title. So they strip the title from LSU, and go hide under the bed.

Reminds me of what the NARAS did after they stripped Rob and Fab of the New Artist Grammy; that is, they vacated the award, rather than (1) give it to the real vocalists and musicians of Milli Vanilli, or (2) give it to the artists who finished 2nd in the final tally. To say nothing of the 2005 Heisman Trophy situation.

Cowardice. Plain and simple.
CookyMonzta

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:13 pm

The NCAA did the same thing when Arkansas was stripped of their titles.
jazzcyclist

Postby sprintdoc » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:24 am

Jazzcyclist with Arkansas it was an academic ineligibility that led to their stripping of their titles. Totally different than a test tied directly to the championships themselves.
sprintdoc

Postby dj » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:40 am

sprintdoc wrote:Jazzcyclist with Arkansas it was an academic ineligibility that led to their stripping of their titles. Totally different than a test tied directly to the championships themselves.

Perhaps in the track world, but not in the eyes of the NCAA, which views a failed doping test as a matter of ineligibilty, the same as an academic ineligibility.
dj

Previous