USTAF: what a difference in the mile races!

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

USTAF: what a difference in the mile races!

Postby lovetorun » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:56 am

It was interesting to see how different the women's and men's mile races were in Albuquerque. Has there ever been a greater difference (3:58.79 from 5:05.68 = 1:06.89) between the winning times? One exceedingly slow, the other surprizedly (considering the altitude) fast.
lovetorun

Re: USTAF: what a difference in the mile races!

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:01 am

I think it just shows most of the women distance runners these days won't lead no matter what. Reminds of the slow first half in the women's 10,000 OT race last summer when getting a qualifying time was all important.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby aaronk » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:03 am

With all due respect to Mary Cain (and the others in that race!), that 5:05.68 winner makes that London Women's 1500 final, with its 75 second first lap, seem like a Usain Bolt-like sprint!! :P
aaronk

Postby kuha » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:05 am

You basically have two outliers here: men's mile surprisingly fast, women's surprisingly slow. The point in both cases was place, not time, however; we simply saw two different ways of getting there.
kuha

Postby lovetorun » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:22 pm

gh...are their any stat people out there who can show the time difference in national champ mile races to see if any even come close to a 1:06.89 difference?
lovetorun

Postby dj » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:31 pm

lovetorun wrote:gh...are their any stat people out there who can show the time difference in national champ mile races to see if any even come close to a 1:06.89 difference?

All past U.S. champions are listed here: http://www.usatf.org/statistics/USA-Champions.aspx
dj

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:40 pm

What does the altitude adjustment say the 3:57 if worth?
Bruce Kritzler

Postby ExCoastRanger » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:43 pm

It's their race and they can run it any way they want, and perhaps if they had done things differently the outcome would have been the same anyway -- but even allowing it was going to be a slow tactical race, I was embarassed for the pros who put the responsibility of setting the pace in a national championship on a 16-year-old girl. It serves them right they got their butts kicked in a time that plenty of other high school girls could run.
ExCoastRanger

Postby Master Po » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:07 pm

We see such 1500m (or mile) races occasionally in global championships, and we see them often in USA championships. Perhaps not quite this slow, but the same pattern. No one wants to be the sucker to lead the group, and I suppose almost everyone thinks she or he has the best last quarter or 200. And one person in each race turns out to be correct in her or his guesses. And so it goes. In a mile or 1500m, the jogging around usually only lasts a couple of laps in any case, so it isn't like they're wasting much more of my time. For my own viewing pleasure, it doesn't really bother me. I guess I'm a simpleton, but each race is interesting in its own way, and each prompts for me its own versions of questions such as -- "I wonder why she/he/they raced that way and not some other way? I wonder why so-and-so thought that strategy would win? Etc." So, in the USATF indoor women's mile, one of the things I thought as they jogged around for the first half was that they were really playing into Cain's hands, having seen the way she closed in other races this season. Perhaps some of them thought she would be timid because it was a championship, or concerned about the altitude (having never raced or trained at such), or something -- I really don't know, and I doubt if some of the athletes themselves could give much of an account of this. But as they jogged around at ~6:00 mile pace, thus making it a quick half mile race with a very fast last quarter, they really set it up for Cain's best advantage. But we've seen such things before (usually without one of the protagonists being a 16yo rookie, but the pattern is the same).
Master Po

Postby ExCoastRanger » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:17 pm

Pretty much agree with everything Master Po just said.
I was expecting a slow-to-start tactical race.
I guess what blows me away is the professionals and adults in the field basically forced a kid into the lead on such a stage. That they were "playing into Cain's hands" tactically is all the more dumbfounding.
ExCoastRanger

Postby JRM » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:23 pm

Bruce Kritzler wrote:What does the altitude adjustment say the 3:57 if worth?

I'm not aware of any altitude adjustments for distance races. Unlike in the sprints, the aerobic nature of the races are a dominant factor over the physical effects of drag. One could always calculate the "advantage" provided by rarefied air, but this number would be meaningless if you didn't account for the oxygen-deprived physiology.
JRM

Postby ExRun » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:38 pm

I have been thinking about what strategy I would have used against if I had been those women racing against Mary Cain. They may have figured that in the Millrose Mile she proved that she was faster than they were in an all out race. So the next best option was to make it a tactical race and hope they could out race her on experience.
ExRun

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:02 pm

NCAA has altitude adjustments for distance races.
Bruce Kritzler

Postby lovetorun » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:09 pm

I checked the link provided by dj and found the fastest time for the men since 1980 was 3:52.99 and the slowest time for the women since 1980 was 4:43.09...only a 50.1 second difference...not even close to the USATF races. And that's taking the fastest men's and the slowest women's over a 23 year period!
lovetorun

Postby JRM » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:17 pm

Bruce Kritzler wrote:NCAA has altitude adjustments for distance races.

Can you provide a link, please. I'd be interested in knowing their rationale.
JRM

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:30 pm

Master Po wrote: No one wants to be the sucker to lead the group, and I suppose almost everyone thinks she or he has the best last quarter or 200. And one person in each race turns out to be correct in her or his guesses. And so it goes.

The part in italics is correct; the second part is not necessarily correct and is often wrong. What it requires is for an athlete to decide that their chances are better if they try to kick than to see if they can go lead from the front from far out. In my experience, few runners who are not clearly the best can go to the front and end up winning. Sometimes I think we would be better off is there was no watch on the race whatsoever. Just race, first across the post wins. Bike racing is like this all the time; are those riders all wimps?
26mi235

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:53 am

26mi235 wrote:
Master Po wrote: No one wants to be the sucker to lead the group, and I suppose almost everyone thinks she or he has the best last quarter or 200. And one person in each race turns out to be correct in her or his guesses. And so it goes.

The part in italics is correct; the second part is not necessarily correct and is often wrong. What it requires is for an athlete to decide that their chances are better if they try to kick than to see if they can go lead from the front from far out. In my experience, few runners who are not clearly the best can go to the front and end up winning. Sometimes I think we would be better off is there was no watch on the race whatsoever. Just race, first across the post wins. Bike racing is like this all the time; are those riders all wimps?

I don't think it is a matter of figuring your best strategy. It is more like, no one will lead, period. Let us all stay together and have a fine old time.

As I mentioned the 10,000 women's trial really showed this. Ideal conditions and the A standard is on the line and yet, hey, I ain't going to lead! I may get lost! :lol:

PS. It wasn't always like this. I can think of a number of world class female distance in the 1980's, some of them good friends, who pushed the pace from the go. Sometimes they lost and sometimes they won, but hey at least they gave it a try.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby gh » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:09 am

Don't know if this got mentioned anywhere earlier, but it appears that this was only the second time that anybody had ever broken 4:00 at an (A) site indoors. Previous one being Patrick Casey's 3:59 in Bozeman two years ago.
gh

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:17 am

Fascinating. I think the fastest at Boulder's flat Potts 200 meter track was 4:04.
Conor Dary

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:32 am

Well, both sites are below 5000'/1500m so they are 'moderate' altitude sites (Albuquerque has an 'official' elevation higher than Denver's mile-high 5280, but the airport is on a rise to the east above the city and stadium). I guess it is below a metric mile in elevation

I don't think it is a matter of figuring your best strategy. It is more like, no one will lead, period. Let us all stay together and have a fine old time.

As I mentioned the 10,000 women's trial really showed this. Ideal conditions and the A standard is on the line and yet, hey, I ain't going to lead! I may get lost!

As for this, it is essentially saying they are stupid. It happens far too often for that to be the correct interpretation. In fact, it is so simplistic it gets pushed so often. How any good coaches are saying that most of these types of races are stupid races by most of the individuals. In the 10,000, the runners that would benefit by getting the standard were not going to get there if they had to do the pace making. Look what happened when a couple of lesser lights tried that at the Trials -- they faded after their lonely sojourn in every case.
26mi235

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:56 am

26mi235 wrote:Well, both sites are below 5000'/1500m so they are 'moderate' altitude sites (Albuquerque has an 'official' elevation higher than Denver's mile-high 5280, but the airport is on a rise to the east above the city and stadium). I guess it is below a metric mile in elevation

As I mentioned the 10,000 women's trial really showed this. Ideal conditions and the A standard is on the line and yet, hey, I ain't going to lead! I may get lost!

As for this, it is essentially saying they are stupid.

Stupidity isn't it. (Well, except in the women's 10K, that was pretty dumb.) They just don't want to lead. No matter what. So they go slower and slower. Unfortunately, someone!, has to lead eventually, otherwise they would come to a stop. Obviously, 6 min mile pace is the slowest they can go and still keep moving. Then suddenly they realize the race is near the end and voila...!!
Conor Dary

Postby kuha » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:01 am

The Harold Norpoth philosophy of running. Who was it that said that, in a one-person race, Norpoth would find a way not to lead?
kuha

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:12 am

kuha wrote:The Harold Norpoth philosophy of running. Who was it that said that, in a one-person race, Norpoth would find a way not to lead?

Yes, our hero. He was like a vampire who couldn't stand the sun. That was Norpoth and leading. He probably would have melted if he led with more than a lap to go.
Last edited by Conor Dary on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conor Dary

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:36 am

On the fllip side, have the women ever run faster than the men? I seem to remember a world championship in the 90's when the women ran the first half faster than the men.
jazzcyclist

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:51 am

Conor Dary wrote: They just don't want to lead. No matter what. So they go slower and slower. Unfortunately, someone!, has to lead eventually, otherwise they would come to a stop. Obviously, 6 min mile pace is the slowest they can go and still keep moving. Then suddenly they realize the race is near the end and voila...!!

Well, six minute pace is still pretty brisk, as the vast majority of people in the world have never done a six-minute mile and while I have run marathons faster than that, I cannot now run a six-minute mile.

Still when the pace goes slowly enough the cost of leading changes and starts to have more advantages, especially on a still day [you can see the track better, are less likely to be tripped, the cost of breaking the wind is lower...].
26mi235

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:16 am

26mi235 wrote:
Conor Dary wrote: They just don't want to lead. No matter what. So they go slower and slower. Unfortunately, someone!, has to lead eventually, otherwise they would come to a stop. Obviously, 6 min mile pace is the slowest they can go and still keep moving. Then suddenly they realize the race is near the end and voila...!!

Well, six minute pace is still pretty brisk, as the vast majority of people in the world have never done a six-minute mile and while I have run marathons faster than that, I cannot now run a six-minute mile.

We are talking about national class runners, where if they do intervals on the track in spikes and jog in between probably do close to 6min/mile for the rest part. At least that is what I did when I was really fit years ago. And I was not national class, I am sorry to say.... :lol:
Conor Dary

Postby gh » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:19 am

26mi235 wrote:Well, both sites are below 5000'/1500m so they are 'moderate' altitude sites (Albuquerque has an 'official' elevation higher than Denver's mile-high 5280, but the airport is on a rise to the east above the city and stadium). I guess it is below a metric mile in elevation....

ABQ indoor facility is 1512m, U. New Mexico's outdoor is 1561 (±10m)
gh

Postby LopenUupunut » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:26 am

jazzcyclist wrote:On the fllip side, have the women ever run faster than the men? I seem to remember a world championship in the 90's when the women ran the first half faster than the men.
Try 5K at the 2001 Goodwill Games...

m5000:
1. Paul Bitok (KEN) 15:26.10

w5000:
1. Olga Yegorova (RUS) 15:12.22
LopenUupunut