Serena Williams Golf/Tennis @ Honda Classic

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Serena Williams Golf/Tennis @ Honda Classic

Postby bijanc » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:41 pm

I was there when this happened, but did not see the incident:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/golf/a ... assic.html

'Ok at this golf tournament. Just saw Tiger Woods. I understand NO golf. Apparently you can't take pics. This security for mad and yelled at me.'

She added: 'I need to learn golf. Didn't know I knew so little.'

I was there on a media tour of the PGA National Resort- staff told me about the pic fuss. She lives across the road from the course(s). I will say this about Friday- once Tiger played 18, EVERYONE left the course, the ropes, the galleries & the hospitality tents for either the hotel or the parking lot. Folk could care less about Rickey Fowler, Dustin Johnson, Ben Curtis and Graeme McDowell. Rory M would have had a nice gallery following had he not withdrawn Fri., due to sore wisdom teeth when a shot into the water left him seven over.
bijanc

Re: Serena Williams Golf/Tennis @ Honda Classic

Postby mcgato » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:11 pm

I'm pretty sure that if you are taking pictures with something that makes noises while the golfer is still swinging toward the golf ball, you are going to get thrown out. The analogy for Serena is if she tosses the ball up for a serve and someone yells behind her, that person will be reprimanded.
mcgato

Re: Serena Williams Golf/Tennis @ Honda Classic

Postby bijanc » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:02 pm

Yes, tennis has much more continuous action than golf, and Tiger hates flashes and clicks. Not sure how she entered the event since her home is across from the PGA site, but all attendees i observed, had to walk under a portable entrance shaped like a door frame, atop which was written in large bold white letters "ABSOLUTELY NO PHOTOGRAPHY OR VIDEO". This portal (where they wanded everyone) was next to the 10th tee.

A flash or series of flashes or clicks would not be nearly as distracting to a person in the midst of playing tennis, especially given the distance of most fans, and the pace of the sport. I'm glad she went to see Woods do his thing.
bijanc