GBR Women's Indoor 400m and 4x400m


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: GBR Women's Indoor 400m and 4x400m

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:19 am

eldanielfire wrote:
iain wrote:
lionelp1 wrote:The American Cox is frigging lucky to be in Goteberg; currently a 53 sec runner and it was a bad decision by the team selectors. Last year she managed a couple of performances which early in the season were in the States and this season she has NOT impressed.

The team selectors had no choice, as she was top-2 in the trials with the standard. Also, don't call her 'the American' that path is well worn and just makes you seem bitter.


I agree. It goes down the path of Mo Farah isn't British etc.

At the end of the day Cox ran a good leg in a team that broke the British and Championship record. There is no guarantee Adeyoe would go faster on the day and given the nature of indoor 400m runs she could have tripped, not worked out hoe to get around somebody or her lack of 400m experience meant she could have blown up in a championship race. Better than her have done it before.


Interesting here that Cox is running so much better in the 4x400 than in the open 400. Few of her compatriots do (though there have been some big exceptions, others are better informed here than am I). Note that Cox went through the US high school and college system that seems to turn out athletes that know how to run the 4x400.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16314
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: GBR Women's Indoor 400m and 4x400m

Postby mump boy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:39 am

26mi235 wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
iain wrote:
lionelp1 wrote:The American Cox is frigging lucky to be in Goteberg; currently a 53 sec runner and it was a bad decision by the team selectors. Last year she managed a couple of performances which early in the season were in the States and this season she has NOT impressed.

The team selectors had no choice, as she was top-2 in the trials with the standard. Also, don't call her 'the American' that path is well worn and just makes you seem bitter.


I agree. It goes down the path of Mo Farah isn't British etc.

At the end of the day Cox ran a good leg in a team that broke the British and Championship record. There is no guarantee Adeyoe would go faster on the day and given the nature of indoor 400m runs she could have tripped, not worked out hoe to get around somebody or her lack of 400m experience meant she could have blown up in a championship race. Better than her have done it before.


Interesting here that Cox is running so much better in the 4x400 than in the open 400. Few of her compatriots do (though there have been some big exceptions, others are better informed here than am I). Note that Cox went through the US high school and college system that seems to turn out athletes that know how to run the 4x400.


Normally i would agree with this but last year she ran a 52.6 opener for us in London. Only NGR started slower and it killed us :(
mump boy
 
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: GBR Women's Indoor 400m and 4x400m

Postby iain » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:27 am

26mi235 wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
iain wrote:
lionelp1 wrote:The American Cox is frigging lucky to be in Goteberg; currently a 53 sec runner and it was a bad decision by the team selectors. Last year she managed a couple of performances which early in the season were in the States and this season she has NOT impressed.

The team selectors had no choice, as she was top-2 in the trials with the standard. Also, don't call her 'the American' that path is well worn and just makes you seem bitter.


I agree. It goes down the path of Mo Farah isn't British etc.

At the end of the day Cox ran a good leg in a team that broke the British and Championship record. There is no guarantee Adeyoe would go faster on the day and given the nature of indoor 400m runs she could have tripped, not worked out hoe to get around somebody or her lack of 400m experience meant she could have blown up in a championship race. Better than her have done it before.


On the contrary I would say Shana is one of our poorest relay runners (though she did well yesterday)
Interesting here that Cox is running so much better in the 4x400 than in the open 400. Few of her compatriots do (though there have been some big exceptions, others are better informed here than am I). Note that Cox went through the US high school and college system that seems to turn out athletes that know how to run the 4x400.
iain
 
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:50 am

Re: GBR Women's Indoor 400m and 4x400m

Postby eldanielfire » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:41 am

mump boy wrote:
Normally i would agree with this but last year she ran a 52.6 opener for us in London. Only NGR started slower and it killed us :(


Ran out in lane 7, that is always tough. Wouldn't have affected the result anyway, there was USA, daylight, Russia and then Jamaica, daylight, the rest of the world.

As I said there is no definite guarantee Adeyoe would have done better than Cox and in championships experience is vital. At the end of the day Gold and a British and Championship record is as an outstanding result as you could hope for and Cox deserves credit for her role in that and in my opinion ensuring Perri and Eilidh got their medals. Cox all but ensured Hjelmer, Rosolova and Helnova were unable to maintain their speeds at the lane break giving them that gap. I'm certain Hjelmer and Rosonova would have found it easier to attack earlier without a sizable girl like Cox having run that first 260m and blocking their way. Though I was pleased all 3 athletes got a medal anyway in the championships.

Also IMO Cox isn't a great starter but a good second in relays and can hold a good position and make whomever is behind her expend too much energy getting around, an important tactic of 4x400m running when you have that position in a competitive race. The girl's team was sport on in my opinion.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: GBR Women's Indoor 400m and 4x400m

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:50 am

eldanielfire wrote:
mump boy wrote:
Normally i would agree with this but last year she ran a 52.6 opener for us in London. Only NGR started slower and it killed us :(


Ran out in lane 7, that is always tough. Wouldn't have affected the result anyway, there was USA, daylight, Russia and then Jamaica, daylight, the rest of the world.


And it is the lead off leg, which does not have the same feel as the rest of the 4x400, since it is run with staggers that are even larger than the open 400 so it is hard to judge your efforts (indoors, of course, only has the first couple of turns in staggered).
26mi235
 
Posts: 16314
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: GBR Women's Indoor 400m and 4x400m

Postby jjimbojames » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:41 am

26mi235 wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
mump boy wrote:
Normally i would agree with this but last year she ran a 52.6 opener for us in London. Only NGR started slower and it killed us :(


Ran out in lane 7, that is always tough. Wouldn't have affected the result anyway, there was USA, daylight, Russia and then Jamaica, daylight, the rest of the world.


And it is the lead off leg, which does not have the same feel as the rest of the 4x400, since it is run with staggers that are even larger than the open 400 so it is hard to judge your efforts (indoors, of course, only has the first couple of turns in staggered).

Er - weren't you just extolling her virtues of being a relay runner, having learnt her trade in college? :? The woman ran 52.8 in the final, having run 51.7 in the heats to lead off there too. Maybe if she'd been a bit quicker, we would have been in contact a bit more for the likes of TBO and PSD to run people down? She just isn't that great a relay runner, and seems to have regressed since her American days, if anything.

The fact that she is also only the fifth best GBR woman this indoors is also amazing (for various reasons) but I agree she ran a decent leg yesterday and tried her best in the individual - she just didn't have it up against some women in great shape
jjimbojames
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:16 am

Re: GBR Women's Indoor 400m and 4x400m

Postby mump boy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:26 pm

26mi235 wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
mump boy wrote:
Normally i would agree with this but last year she ran a 52.6 opener for us in London. Only NGR started slower and it killed us :(


Ran out in lane 7, that is always tough. Wouldn't have affected the result anyway, there was USA, daylight, Russia and then Jamaica, daylight, the rest of the world.


And it is the lead off leg, which does not have the same feel as the rest of the 4x400, since it is run with staggers that are even larger than the open 400 so it is hard to judge your efforts (indoors, of course, only has the first couple of turns in staggered).


I totally accept Eldanielfire's points above but this comment doesn't make any sense, EVERYONE was on the first leg (obviously) yet every one apart from NGR ran faster, he ran a second faster in the heat. This, nor any of the comments about Gothenburg are a criticism of Shana she ran great in the relay at the weekend but there was no indication before hand that she would do so. Although she does have a collegiate background and we were all VERY excited when we heard she had declared for UK, her performances have been rather underwhelming and she hasn't approached her 2008 best in a GBR vest. The idea that Margaret is unable to get round a track without incident is just rather offensive, the French had Soumare on first leg and she managed it and she doesn't even seem to have ever run a 400m indoors and not outdoors since '08 !! I don't know what she ran but they managed a national record

The issue is with a selection process which not based on what is the best team but is only there to protect the coaches and selectors. If this had been the only time that stupid decisions had been made that would be fine but it is constant, i honestly can't think of an occasion where there hasn't been some controversy.

As was mentioned above with this kind of thinking John Regis would never have been selected for Split or Tokyo and those were rather more important occasions than the euro indoors.

We need new blood in the 4x4 we always have 1 week link and on indoor form MA could be just what we need.
mump boy
 
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Dave, Gabriella, jeremyp, lonewolf and 14 guests