mary cain at indoor nationals in NM


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby az2004 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:47 am

the workout was after the boston 2 mile

erdmann and moser and cain

seemed to be a ladder type wokout 800.600, 400 and 200

dont know the times though thought her final 200 at millrose was 29
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby az2004 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:50 am

http://www.oregonlive.com/trackandfield ... alb_7.html

cain to do 800 not mile at usatf

salazar talks about the decision and college for cain

will do school, but running for a school is not yet decided
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby az2004 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:42 am

jesse squire on front page wrote

Mary Cain vs The Pros (800 meters)
USATF Championships
Albuquerque Convention Center
Sunday, 3:04 pm local time (5:04pm ET)
Cain has been on a hot streak, breaking decades-old high school records and beating top pros at meets like the Millrose Games. This weekend she has entered the 800 meters at the USATF Championships. It’s a distance she hasn’t run yet this year, but few top runners have entered the event save Chanelle Price. I can’t recall the last time a high schooler won a senior USATF championship, let alone a high school junior.


seems he forgot all about ajee wilson who seems nver to have lost to cain at 800 mters

i bet on ajee again as mary spped training doesnt match the 600 wilson ha s run
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby aaronk » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:30 am

az2004 wrote:jesse squire on front page wrote

Mary Cain vs The Pros (800 meters)
USATF Championships
Albuquerque Convention Center
Sunday, 3:04 pm local time (5:04pm ET)
Cain has been on a hot streak, breaking decades-old high school records and beating top pros at meets like the Millrose Games. This weekend she has entered the 800 meters at the USATF Championships. It’s a distance she hasn’t run yet this year, but few top runners have entered the event save Chanelle Price. I can’t recall the last time a high schooler won a senior USATF championship, let alone a high school junior.


seems he forgot all about ajee wilson who seems nver to have lost to cain at 800 mters

i bet on ajee again as mary spped training doesnt match the 600 wilson ha s run


I pick Cain!
Yes, Ajee has the better time (so far!), and the better 600.

But Mary's 2:03.34 was run a year ago.
IMO, she's much improved since then.
I think she could run 4:08 or faster right NOW!!
And come close to, if not better, Ajee's 2:00.91......and do it INDOORS!!
She has speed (her fast 200 in that post-race workout!), strength over distance, and a great kick!
Ajee is a GREAT runner, and I see her going sub-2:00 this year, but she hasn't come close to Cain's accomplishments this indoor season!
Her best 800 this year is a 2:05.

Will Ajee's 600 time translate to a fast 800?
It might.
But there's evidence to prove that fast 600 people (men or women) aren't always as good over 800.

So I'm picking Cain at USATF.
aaronk
 
Posts: 3362
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby az2004 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:03 am

salara said in the article

"But I want her to try the 800. She is not really trained for it. It's a little out of her comfort zone. But right now we need to focus on a process that will make her better over time rather than focusing on winning or setting records."

The idea is to sharpen the speed Cain will need outdoors against elite competition


ajee will chase price, basiclly sit on her and cain will sit in ajee, and ajee moves final200

i have ajee winning

salazar is sharing the speed to win when it counts at world youth in ukraine
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby Walt Murphy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:39 am

Alberto changed his mind--Cain is running the mile. And Centro is only running the 800--unless he doesn't make the final.
Walt Murphy
 
Posts: 1738
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby az2004 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:50 am

or did nbc change his mind

or did alberto watch this 800 from last year'


http://www.flotrack.org/speaker/8030-Aj ... onals-2012
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby lonewolf » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:36 pm

az2004 wrote:or did nbc change his mind


It can happen.. two years ago at Albuquerque, TV and meet management could not agree on which side of long jump pit the scope rail should be. Five minutes before jump time, the rail was removed and we were told to measure with a tape... slight problem, we were not staffed to do that efficiently..it was not pretty but we doubled up positions and got er dun...and Deloach jumped 6.99.
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby az2004 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:33 pm

http://www.usatf.org/Events---Calendar/ ... sults.aspx

800 heats for women cain not in eitehr heat


womes mile start list

Treniere MoserNike
2Sarah BrownNew Balance
3Brie Felnagleadidas
4Catherine BeckCentral Park Track Club (CPTC)
5Dana MeckeUnattached
6Mary CainUnattached
8Erin KochUnattached
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby az2004 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:12 pm

alberto changes his mind again

http://www.oregonlive.com/trackandfield ... n_las.html

Salazar said Cain will run the mile instead, because he wants the teenager from Bronxville, N.Y. to gain experience in a tactical race.

"She needs to learn how to run in packs when the pace is slow," said Salazar, who is coaching Cain. "After this there are few meets that I could get her into that would be like that."


Salazar said if Cain can handle tactical races, he expects her to be in position to qualify for the World Outdoor Championships this summer.

is this moscow then alberto????
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby aaronk » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:02 pm

One thing that wiggles into my mind every now and then is......What will happen when Cain has her first REALLY bad race.....or has something REALLY bad happen to her??

So far, even though she's lost a few races, you can't say it was lack of talent that made her lose.....It was the fact she was facing PRO runners (including Olympians!!) as a 16 year old HS kid!!

But what happens when/if she has her.....God forbid!.....first injury, or falls in a race, or just has a LOUSY day...for whatever reason?

How will she react?
Thus far, she's dealt with her losses in a great way....acknowledging she was facing people like Dibaba, and couldn't expect to win.

But here, she's being made the favorite.
So if she doesn't win....or that "BAD" thing happens.....will she have the inner strength to get past it??

I think so....but being the chronic worrier I am.....I can't help but wonder.
aaronk
 
Posts: 3362
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby 4:24-miler » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:43 pm

aaronk wrote:One thing that wiggles into my mind every now and then is......What will happen when Cain has her first REALLY bad race.....or has something REALLY bad happen to her??

So far, even though she's lost a few races, you can't say it was lack of talent that made her lose.....It was the fact she was facing PRO runners (including Olympians!!) as a 16 year old HS kid!!

But what happens when/if she has her.....God forbid!.....first injury, or falls in a race, or just has a LOUSY day...for whatever reason?

How will she react?
Thus far, she's dealt with her losses in a great way....acknowledging she was facing people like Dibaba, and couldn't expect to win.

But here, she's being made the favorite.
So if she doesn't win....or that "BAD" thing happens.....will she have the inner strength to get past it??

I think so....but being the chronic worrier I am.....I can't help but wonder.

What will happen is that Cain will be called "overrated" and a "has-been". Cain will be criticized for being selfish with a huge ego. People will say she was over-trained and peaked too early. Cain's parents and Alberto Salazar will be criticized for "forcing" Mary for growing up "too soon" and wasn't allowed to just be a "normal teenager". They will be criticized for steering Mary away from NCAA track because everyone "knows" you have to run NCAA track to get the "proper experience" and "learn how to race". And people will start about 25 Mary Cain threads about Cain's fall from grace here at TFN and about 125 threads over at Letsrun.

As for Cain dealing with losing, didn't she lose at the 2011 WJC in the 1500 by quite a bit? I think she finished 6th, way back of the leaders. Cain lost to Sarah Baxter in XC back in November as well. It didn't seem to bother her.

I don't know Mary Cain. Just from what I seen in interview she seems like a joyful young lady who doesn't take herself too seriously.
4:24-miler
 
Posts: 526
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby ExRun » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:13 pm

aaronk wrote:
But here, she's being made the favorite.
So if she doesn't win....or that "BAD" thing happens.....will she have the inner strength to get past it??

I think so....but being the chronic worrier I am.....I can't help but wonder.


Mary has lost races where she expected to win and she always puts a positive spin on it... When she lost to Sarah Baxter at NXN this year she said something like..."everyone on the starting line wanted to win and of all those girls I came the closest to winning". So I wouldn't worry about how she will react to losing, she is very together. Sarah Baxter on the other hand says she looses sleep at night worrying about not winning...the best thing that could happen to her is to lose a race so she can relax and have fun running races.
ExRun
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:11 pm

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby az2004 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:58 am

cain in the 2012 hs millrose mile was 4th in the race

yet bounced back to run 4:11 at world juniors

so she had a bad race yet qualified for world juniors and made the finals and raced girls 3 years oldeer than she is

saw the baxter xc race in the mud

baxter will be good at longer distances

cain 2:03 800 apples and oranges

i wouldn't worry about either

but differnet distances
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby aaronk » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:14 am

Okay, folks, crunch time!!
(Well, in a few hours, at least!)

With the altitude probably making the race a strategic one, I'm a bit worried about Cain's ability to hold a SUSTAINED kick!!

She's almost unbeatable in the last 200....or even 400....as proven at Penn last year, and in Seattle this year.

But what happens if, say, they go out cautiously in 70 and 75, for 2:25 at the 880.
Will someone (other than Cain, who rely's mostly on her final 400 or 200) take it out from that point, and run a sustained kick of, say 66, then 64.......for a final time of 4:35??

Would Cain hold back with, say, a 68 or 69 third 400, causing her to have to run a final 400 of 61 or 62??

I think.....IF the race were at sea level!!....Cain might be capable of a sub-60 final 400 in a TACTICAL race!!

But not at altitude!!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3362
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby az2004 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:47 am

cain should sit on bowman, and when she makes her mover cover it

i think bowman or moseer go about 600 to get a gap on cain

remember cain and moser are in same tarining group
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby aaronk » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:52 pm

MARY CAIN WINS!!!

59.1 last 440!!!

I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!

And SCREW my OVERuse of exclamation points!!

THIS DESERVES A MILLION OF THEM!!!!!! :D :D :D
aaronk
 
Posts: 3362
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby Dave » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:58 pm

Congratulations to her for winning this.

I'll be curious to see if the response for this is greater than the response for Suhr's WR.
Dave
 
Posts: 2125
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby aaronk » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:00 pm

When was the last time.....if ever!....that Cain ran a 5:05 mile??

And won the race!!

But a 59.1 last lap.
This race was made for her.

I've been VERY critical of "tactical" races....men or women.....and I still am!!

But when I heard the words....

Mary Cain, UNITED STATES NATIONAL CHAMPION......

I kinda FORGOT my hatred of those kind of races!! :D
aaronk
 
Posts: 3362
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby Master Po » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:16 pm

Congratulations to Cain for her win. (I would have put some exclamation points there, but aaronk used them all... :) )

I'm sure there some will be quick to point out all the reasons we should not be excited about this -- slow time, quality of field (solid but not great), etc., etc., but it's good to remind ourselves as we have gotten accustomed to watching Cain this winter that (a) she is just a 16yo HS junior, (b) this is her first season of running with professionals and post-collegiates. What impresses me about her now is her race sense -- she seems unafraid to go the front, to respond to others' moves, to work with a variety of paces, as others put on the brakes or accelerate past her. It seems clear that she has lots of talent -- in the simple physical, able to run fast, sense; but she also seems to have a good head for racing. I think Salazar was right to want her to have the experience of this race, which was likely to be tactically slow, with a rapid finish. Cain handled it very well.

And if my math is right, her last 400 was 58.61.
Master Po
 
Posts: 2641
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: north coast USA

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby az2004 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:29 pm

the said 58.6 on tv

when she grows up, what will ber kick really be

2:55 800 then 29 29 last 2 laps

thats how you win''

she showed tactical genius

ajee showed why she did what she did
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby aaronk » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:47 pm

My question is.....why so SLOWWWWWWW??
The guys ran sub-4:00.....3 of them did!!
So if they defied all the altitude myths....like Kip Keino did in Mexico City!....why weren't the other long races faster than 8:07 (men's 3K), 9:23 (women's 3K), or that SLUGgish paced women's mile??

I'm SUPER happy Mary won, but GEEZ!, 5:05??

What were the other gals thinking....especially Moser and Bowman Brown. who had LOST to Cain's kick before??
They GAVE that race to Cain!!

With a 58.6 last 400, I'm now predicting she can beat ANY United States runner now!
Including Simpson, Uceny et al!
I'm certain that, if it had been necessary, she could have run FASTER that last quarter....maybe 57 or 56!!

I discount her announced PR of 55.
I'm guessing she's capable of 53 now...and will be capable of 52 eventually.....just like Slaney.

And I'm ALSO predicting she WILL be....barring the unforeseen.....she WILL be on our WC team THIS year!!

And she just might be # ONE American!!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3362
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby aaronk » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:31 pm

Just saw the complete video.....on RunnerSpace!
Watched it 3 times....so far....and here's what I saw:

Cain leads right away, but keeps it slow, at 40.7 for the first 209 meters. (First "lap" measurement INCLUDED the extra 9 meters! All other laps appeared to be for each 200.)

They slow it down to 85 for the first 409, no one really leading, but Cain up front in a row with 2-3 others.

Cain temporarily falls back, but just a bit, hitting 609 in about 2:09.

Mecke (Who IS she?? Never heard of her before!) goes into the lead, but it's still VERY slow, as they run (WALK??) another 46, hitting 809 in 2:55. That's 5:50 mile pace!!

Everyone is bunched....like in a bike race!
You're just waiting for someone to make the first move!!

Pace stays pretty sedate for another 200, as they hit 1009 in 3:34, but you can sense they're ready to RUN!!

Mecke makes the first move, but Cain matches it, and then some!
It's all Cain's show from here on.

She runs 32 for her next 200.
But Mecke and Moser stay close.

At one point, just as they're coming off the curve, at about 1250, Mecke APPEARS to touch Cain's back.
It's nowhere NEAR the "contact" Uhl made with Reilly in the last part of the 3K, but when the "touch" (??) is made, Cain RIPS ahead...and there's an INSTANT 3 meter gap, Cain in front.

She runs 29.27 and 29.34....clearly in the lead, and clearly the winner!!....her last two laps.

After the race, as she's walking back, there are NO hugs, NO back slaps or hand shaking....not even EYE contact!!!

Were they PISSED at her...having been beaten.....no, HUMILIATED!!....by a 16 year old CHILD??

Was MARY being the arrogant one....the unfriendly one...as she's NEVER been post-race??

Why did no one congratulate her??

FANTASTIC video!!
Check it out!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3362
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby Dutra5 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:49 pm

aaronk wrote:Just saw the complete video.....on RunnerSpace!
Watched it 3 times....so far....and here's what I saw:

Cain leads right away, but keeps it slow, at 40.7 for the first 209 meters. (First "lap" measurement INCLUDED the extra 9 meters! All other laps appeared to be for each 200.)

They slow it down to 85 for the first 409, no one really leading, but Cain up front in a row with 2-3 others.

Cain temporarily falls back, but just a bit, hitting 609 in about 2:09.

Mecke (Who IS she?? Never heard of her before!) goes into the lead, but it's still VERY slow, as they run (WALK??) another 46, hitting 809 in 2:55. That's 5:50 mile pace!!

Everyone is bunched....like in a bike race!
You're just waiting for someone to make the first move!!

Pace stays pretty sedate for another 200, as they hit 1009 in 3:34, but you can sense they're ready to RUN!!

Mecke makes the first move, but Cain matches it, and then some!
It's all Cain's show from here on.

She runs 32 for her next 200.
But Mecke and Moser stay close.

At one point, just as they're coming off the curve, at about 1250, Mecke APPEARS to touch Cain's back.
It's nowhere NEAR the "contact" Uhl made with Reilly in the last part of the 3K, but when the "touch" (??) is made, Cain RIPS ahead...and there's an INSTANT 3 meter gap, Cain in front.

She runs 29.27 and 29.34....clearly in the lead, and clearly the winner!!....her last two laps.

After the race, as she's walking back, there are NO hugs, NO back slaps or hand shaking....not even EYE contact!!!

Were they PISSED at her...having been beaten.....no, HUMILIATED!!....by a 16 year old CHILD??

Was MARY being the arrogant one....the unfriendly one...as she's NEVER been post-race??

Why did no one congratulate her??

FANTASTIC video!!
Check it out!


Thanks for the play by play for a race I'd imagine you are the only one who did not watch live who is participating in this particular subject matter.

The reaction after the race is just noise. Why didn't Jeremy Wariner immediately rush over to see if Batman was ok?
Dutra5
 
Posts: 1272
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:51 am

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby Dutra5 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:53 pm

aaronk wrote:
With a 58.6 last 400, I'm now predicting she can beat ANY United States runner now!
Including Simpson, Uceny et al!
I'm certain that, if it had been necessary, she could have run FASTER that last quarter....maybe 57 or 56!!


We don't know if she can kick with the likes of Uceny and Simpson off a low 4:00 pace. She should be eventually but she'd need to be able to run close to 4:00 to kick off that kind of pace. That might be a bit much right now.

She probably is in the top 3 or 4 Americans right now pending on who shows up healthy Outdoors.

She won a race she should have won which is a good thing.
Dutra5
 
Posts: 1272
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:51 am

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby Master Po » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:58 pm

Aaronk,
Thanks for pointing out the video - just watched it - great run - great acceleration in the last 400. As for your question about post-race interaction, I have no idea but I'll ofer this: after the finish, when Cain walks away toward the infield, to be interviewed I guess, most of the other runners were still clutching their knees. (Also, they aren't Canadian like Sheila Reid, and so just are not as nice...) :)
Master Po
 
Posts: 2641
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: north coast USA

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby aaronk » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:23 pm

A few corrections to my race description above:

Time was 83.8 first 409, not 85, with Cain and Moser in front.
At 609, it was Moser barely ahead of Cain., in about 2:09 or 2:10.
At 809, it was Vaughn, not Mecke, who led.
At 1009, Vaughn still led, but by inches, with Moser and Bowman-Brown following.
They passed 1209 in 4:06.8.
At about 1260--mid-curve--Cain pulls ahead for good.
And there was NO TOUCH by anyone....so I was mistaken.
But when I THOUGHT I'd seen the "touch" was when Cain opened that INSTANT 3 meter gap!

Guess I was too excited earlier to note the correct details!!

And no, I did NOT see the race on TV.
I don't have my TV working, so I "saw"....or rather HEARD.....the race on that "Live Webcast"!!

So the video was the first time I SAW the race!!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3362
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby kuha » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:00 pm

Pretty unusual half mile splits here: 2:55 and 2:10.
kuha
 
Posts: 9034
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 3rd row, on the finish line

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby Master Po » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:42 pm

Dutra5 wrote:
aaronk wrote:
With a 58.6 last 400, I'm now predicting she can beat ANY United States runner now!
Including Simpson, Uceny et al!
I'm certain that, if it had been necessary, she could have run FASTER that last quarter....maybe 57 or 56!!


We don't know if she can kick with the likes of Uceny and Simpson off a low 4:00 pace. She should be eventually but she'd need to be able to run close to 4:00 to kick off that kind of pace. That might be a bit much right now.

She probably is in the top 3 or 4 Americans right now pending on who shows up healthy Outdoors.

She won a race she should have won which is a good thing.


Agree with most of what you stated here, except for the last statment. I'm probably just dense, but I did not think prior to the event that this was a race that she should win. I thought she could, maybe, win, but she was only superior to two of the other six runners: Mecke (mile PB 4:39, 2013) and Koch (1500 PB 4:18, 2012). As for the other four, they have clearly superior resumes:

Moser 4:03 PB and 4:09 from last year. 2006 WIC finalist, other WC too, and multiple USATF championships, iirc.

Felnagle 4:08 PB last year, 7th at OT and iirc also NCAA 1500 m champion

Vaughn 4:08 PB last year & ran at 2012 WIC (but did not advance to final, irrc)

Bowman Brown 4:05 PB & 4:08 last year, 6th at OT, 8th at 2010 WIC, & iirc also NCAA champion indoors.

That's four very good (in the context of USA) 1500/mile runners with success at the national level (NCAA and/or USATF) and experience at international championships (WC and/or WIC).

So, I actually thought any of these four might win, and probably would have picked any one of them over Cain had I been required to make a prediction. As it turned out, I was very impressed with the way she competed with this group of much much more experienced runners, each of whom has run faster than Cain on more than one occasion, and each of whom has participated in multiple championships (e.g., NCAA, USATF and WC/WIC).
Master Po
 
Posts: 2641
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: north coast USA

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:13 pm

kuha wrote:Pretty unusual half mile splits here: 2:55 and 2:10.

I guessing that a lot of 800 runners, and perhaps even a few 400 runners, wish they would have been in that race.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby Dutra5 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:18 pm

Master Po wrote:
Dutra5 wrote:
aaronk wrote:
With a 58.6 last 400, I'm now predicting she can beat ANY United States runner now!
Including Simpson, Uceny et al!
I'm certain that, if it had been necessary, she could have run FASTER that last quarter....maybe 57 or 56!!


We don't know if she can kick with the likes of Uceny and Simpson off a low 4:00 pace. She should be eventually but she'd need to be able to run close to 4:00 to kick off that kind of pace. That might be a bit much right now.

She probably is in the top 3 or 4 Americans right now pending on who shows up healthy Outdoors.

She won a race she should have won which is a good thing.


Agree with most of what you stated here, except for the last statment. I'm probably just dense, but I did not think prior to the event that this was a race that she should win. I thought she could, maybe, win, but she was only superior to two of the other six runners: Mecke (mile PB 4:39, 2013) and Koch (1500 PB 4:18, 2012). As for the other four, they have clearly superior resumes:

Moser 4:03 PB and 4:09 from last year. 2006 WIC finalist, other WC too, and multiple USATF championships, iirc.

Felnagle 4:08 PB last year, 7th at OT and iirc also NCAA 1500 m champion

Vaughn 4:08 PB last year & ran at 2012 WIC (but did not advance to final, irrc)

Bowman Brown 4:05 PB & 4:08 last year, 6th at OT, 8th at 2010 WIC, & iirc also NCAA champion indoors.

That's four very good (in the context of USA) 1500/mile runners with success at the national


Cain's been at a higher level this year. I was pretty comfortable she would win particularly since she has demonstrated the best close of all of them.
Dutra5
 
Posts: 1272
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:51 am

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby az2004 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:45 am

http://www.runnerspace.com/video.php?video_id=80889

here's the video aaronk watched

10 year project they said

when cain grows up, what will her real kick be??

the elite of elite will go 55 , cain needs to be in that class by then

let cain do worldyouth and i like her chances

aregawi or dibaba sub 4 is way too fast and they have their big kicks to deal with
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby az2004 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:55 am

http://www.usatf.org/Events---Calendar/ ... bcast.aspx

you can listen to cain interview afterher win




go to interview and it's the 5th one down 1.23 in length
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby unclezadok » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:03 am

I see that Sarah Baxter opened with a 10:35 today. I wonder when the Rematch will occur. Their strengths are different of course, which just makes it that much more interesting.
unclezadok
 
Posts: 1552
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:54 pm

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby az2004 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:52 am

sarah baxterdid 10.35 in 3k 3200 or 2 mile??

she has talent but sub 60 400 is tough for her
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby aaronk » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:54 am

unclezadok wrote:I see that Sarah Baxter opened with a 10:35 today. I wonder when the Rematch will occur. Their strengths are different of course, which just makes it that much more interesting.


Interesting.
What were the specifics of Baxter's run?
Competition?
Splits?
Was it mainly a test run, to gauge her fitness?

If she runs NB next week, I imagine she'll go MUCH faster!!

More questions:

Was her 16:00 Mt SAC run OVERrated??
Just what does that mark translate to on the track?
Could she break 16:00 in a TRACK 5K??

(If she can break 16:00 on a track, then she could run about 10:00 or faster for two miles!!)
aaronk
 
Posts: 3362
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby az2004 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:08 am

i see it was 3200

finn and frazier did slightly better 3200

guess people will look at the 5:10 mile baxter did in thesame meet and compare it to the 5:05 mile cain did

i'm all for young talent emerging, to add to wilson and cain

dont think salazar has the desire to get in a pissing contest with other hs kids

i watched the 17 year old icelandic 800meter runner and she looks more of an 800 meter threat
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:13 am

Here is a post from someone at that race; note she doubled also. I do not mean to indicate that you were indicating a problem for Baxter, just noting the race.

First of all, I suspect the OP is a troll hoping Baxter would get bashed.

So lets not take this out of context.....I was at the meet. She literally JOGGED both races. Her coach only lets her go all out for the big meets. Last Year she ran a 10:44 3200 the week before she ran the 10:08 at Arcadia. This year in XC she ran 16:12 on an all flat course and later when on to run 16 flat on the hilliest course in the nation. This conservative "holding her back" approach taken by her coach is in my opinion a large reason for her success.

Read more: http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=5071349#ixzz2Majb4rcm

By the way, Cain has previously done better on the track than in cross country. Part of that is the distances involved, although her 3000 indicates a better long performance now. I wonder if part of it is also things like balance and the ability to run on varying surfaces, etc. Straightening out her running issues will probably help her run better on XC courses, and her speed should help her handle the pace/effort variation that you face in XC. We will have to see what she does next year -- will she even run high school XC. I think that there is probably more reason to do so than for track this year, as she faces stiffer competition and the Footlocker race (she should skip the NXN 'race') is historically important.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby 4:24-miler » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:46 am

I'm sorry but as a track fan since 1980 that women's 1500m race was utter garbage. 5:05.68? Seriously?! Yuk. That wasn't a race, it was tempo run. Even the announcer was embarrassed when he said, "This is what we would call a tactical race." Gee, really? Good to see Mary Cain do well and win the race. But all this talk about Cain being one of the top women's 1500m runners in the US right is way too premature. I'll wait until Cain beats Simpson, Uceny, Rowbury, Pierce, Schmidt, etc outdoors head-to-head..
4:24-miler
 
Posts: 526
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Postby Marlow » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:08 am

4:24-miler wrote:all this talk about Cain being one of the top women's 1500m runners in the US right is way too premature. I'll wait until Cain beats Simpson, Uceny, Rowbury, Pierce, Schmidt, etc outdoors head-to-head..

Too late. Her times and this kick already makes her "one of the best".
Marlow
 
Posts: 21126
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 15 guests