Oscar noms

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Oscar noms

Postby batonless relay » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:56 am

gh wrote:I like Family Guy a lot, but MacFarlane was a disgusting pig on this one. Felt like I'd been whisked into a '60s frat party.

to wit

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/c ... night.html

just read the newyorker article and i completely agree that McFarlane was a pig (but shouldn't the academy have known?). It doesn't matter how many "token non-offended's" you plant to get the joke, sometimes even comedy and/or satire can go too far. Something The Onion hopefully learned with the Wallis tweet.
batonless relay

Postby Dutra5 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:39 pm

I thought McFarlane a mixed bag, the opening too long and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what William Shatner was doing there but.....

....I also thought the show in its entirety was as entertaining an Oscar show as there's been.
Dutra5

Postby jeremyp » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:26 pm

JRM wrote:We just saw Argo last night (pay-per-view -- that's what happens when you have a 3-year-old...). I must say, at first I was surprised that a film could win best picture while purporting to depict a "true story", yet hardly contain any factual elements. Even the state of the Hollywood sign wasn't accurate to that year. But after thinking about it, that's probably what made this a Best Picture contender...

Didn't: "The King's Speech"; "A Beautiful Mind"; "Braveheart"; Schindler's List"; "Patton"; Lawrence Of Arabia"; "The Ten Commandments" also win?
jeremyp

Postby JRM » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:10 pm

Dutra5 wrote:I thought McFarlane a mixed bag, the opening too long and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what William Shatner was doing there but.....

MacFarlane is a huge Trekkie. I thought it was well-played -- except Shatner has seen better days...
JRM

Postby Marlow » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:31 pm

mcgato wrote: what the hell was Shatner doing there?

Dutra5 wrote:I couldn't for the life of me figure out what William Shatner was doing there but.....

The gag was that Capt Kirk, who regularly resides in the 23rd Century, came back in time to warn McFarlane that he was about to become "worst Oscars host EVER" for his tasteless skits, which he then 'replayed'. Get it?
Marlow

Previous