T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results No1 David Rudisha

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results. 6 Votes

Postby Olli » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:54 am

mump boy wrote:7 votes

Lasse Viren double 97 points (across 2 events etc )

Which double you mean, 1972 or 1976? I voted for his 1972 10,000m and 1976 5,000m. I think the latter of these was already mentioned in the results. But did you classify the 1972 10,000m vote within the "double."

I think the 1972 10,000m run (which I had as my #1) is remarkable in itself, and will return to it soon. (Right now I am in the middle of my workday and just stole a few minutes to make this comment.)
Olli

Postby mump boy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:36 am

Olli wrote:

Which double you mean, 1972 or 1976? I voted for his 1972 10,000m and 1976 5,000m. I think the latter of these was already mentioned in the results. But did you classify the 1972 10,000m vote within the "double."

I think the 1972 10,000m run (which I had as my #1) is remarkable in itself, and will return to it soon. (Right now I am in the middle of my workday and just stole a few minutes to make this comment.)

It's '76

Some people voted for 5k, some for 10k, some for the double, some for double doube !!
mump boy

Postby Rog » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:36 am

bobguild76 wrote:
odelltrclan wrote:
Daisy wrote:
mump boy wrote:Seb Coe 1500m 84 93 points

Both mine.

Coe for sticking it to the press at the end of the race. Not to mention managing to peak for the big event in a year that didn't start out so well.

Viren for doing what seemed impossible. 76 was pretty much my first Olympics and his achievement was the one that has stuck with me.

Two of my favorites as well. Please elaborate on "sticking it to the press". I don't remember anything about that.

Most of the press had written Coe off coming into the Olympics, but he peaked superbly and defended his 1500 title (as well as his 2nd 800 silver). After the race, and after his initial celebration, he turned to the press box and, with tremendous passion, anger, and relief, yelled; "NOW BELIEVE IN ME!!!" It was an amazing moment, and capped his equally amazing Olympic career.

Whilst I think Coe's 1500 win in 84 was his greatest Championship performance, to me his behaviour immediately after the race was deplorable. We had seen him lose gracelessly after the Moscow 800, but to win gracelessly, as he did here, is just appalling and, thankfully, rare. I note the comment about him showing "passion, anger, and relief", but to me it was an extremely ill-natured tantrum that showed what lay beneath the contrived public face. This is what finally turned me off him.
Rog

Postby Olli » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:38 am

Sorry, I am still not sure whether I got your logic. Will you return to the Munich 10,000m later or or is it now time to comment on it?
Olli

Postby John G » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:20 am

13th

Seb Coe 1500m 84 93 points

This was unquestionably a great performance. In the end however, I don't think he had much opposition. Cram was far from peak fitness and obviously Ovett (who Harry Wilson said was in the form of his life) had to drop out. I think Cram c. 1985/6 would have beaten Coe. Much as I love Ovett I've always felt that Cram is under-estimated and was actually the best miler out of the three. That 3:46 WRcould have been low 3:45s or even high 3:44s with a more even pace. Similarly, he should have got into the 3:28s.
John G

Postby Daisy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:09 am

mump boy wrote:
Olli wrote:

It's '76

Some people voted for 5k, some for 10k, some for the double, some for double doube !!

To be clear, I voted for the double double. So actually this is not one of my votes.
Daisy

Postby Daisy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:12 am

Rog wrote:I note the comment about him showing "passion, anger, and relief", but to me it was an extremely ill-natured tantrum that showed what lay beneath the contrived public face. This is what finally turned me off him.

It was pretty brief and I think the press deserved it. There was a good reason why Ovett refused to be interviewed by them.

Interestingly he is still that way.
He [script writer for the screen adaptation of Pat Butchers book] also revealed that although Coe was eager to give an interview, as he always was, media conscious Ovett was almost the opposite and even refused to be interviewed to assist in the writing of the screenplay.

http://www.filmstalker.co.uk/archives/2 ... omple.html

And more on his views on the film here:
Although I’m flattered by the interest, you don’t have to make a film – documentary, fiction or otherwise – about the Coe-Ovett years because anyone who wants to relive the excitement can watch it all on YouTube.

I’ve not heard anything more from the BBC about the project, so I assume it’s been left in the pending tray. And I hope it stays there.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-spo ... ly-1143998

Here is one interview with Ovett:
Our rivalry was a great thing for the sport, but it was largely a media invention.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-spo ... th-1144003
Last edited by Daisy on Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daisy

Postby mump boy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:33 am

Olli wrote:Sorry, I am still not sure whether I got your logic. Will you return to the Munich 10,000m later or or is it now time to comment on it?

Now is the time to comment on anything Viren related
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:34 am

Daisy wrote:
mump boy wrote:
Olli wrote:

It's '76

To be clear, I voted for the double double. So actually this is not one of my votes.

Yes it is, I'm added them all together.

It doesn't make any sense to have all those events ranked separately and languishing in the 50's

He belongs this high in the rankings
mump boy

Postby Rog » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:44 am

John G wrote:

13th

Seb Coe 1500m 84 93 points

This was unquestionably a great performance. In the end however, I don't think he had much opposition. Cram was far from peak fitness and obviously Ovett (who Harry Wilson said was in the form of his life) had to drop out. I think Cram c. 1985/6 would have beaten Coe. Much as I love Ovett I've always felt that Cram is under-estimated and was actually the best miler out of the three. That 3:46 WRcould have been low 3:45s or even high 3:44s with a more even pace. Similarly, he should have got into the 3:28s.

I agree with John here. The Cram of 85 and 86 was awesome, running world records in actual races, not solo runs. His 800 in the 86 Commonwealth Games impressed me more than anything Coe ever achieved at the distance - a 1:43 off a negative split in a championship final in poor conditions. I think he could have beaten Coe's 800 record and certainly could have run 3:28.

Ovett didn't attempt world records during much of his peak period, and ran his fastest 1500 in 83, when he was no longer the dominating force of the late 70s. I would think he had a sub 3:30 in him as well. I could see him running Cram close, but I think Cram at his best would have been just too strong.

At their peak and in their very best form I could see an 800 going Cram>Coe>Ovett, and a 1500 Cram>Ovett>Coe. I'm sure some will find that controversial!
Rog

Postby eldanielfire » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:32 am

bobguild76 wrote:

11th

w4x100 2012 103 points

Which also brings us nicely to the top 10, they will come individually with some intro.

I'm away at the european indoors so i'm not promising but i will try and get some posted this weekend

This was my #3. It was the fastest and slowest 40.82 seconds in my life. Twas a thing of beauty that I replay in my mind in slow motion, and it still seems blindingly fast. And to have the Jamaican team so close behind, or was it light years behind?!

One thing still amazes me ... that Jeter, while at full speed, focused on the win, KNEW that it was a WR even as she closed on the finish line. T&FN totally nailed it with their Olympic Issue cover photo.

She probably thought that because the US team stated they thought for sure they could get the Olympic record. However the world record came as a surprise.
eldanielfire

Postby Pego » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:00 am

mump boy wrote:11th

w4x100 2012 103 points

My #3. All I can say is -WOW! Every time I see this result I tend to ask, "How many nations men's records are inferior to this?"
Pego

Postby mump boy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:57 am

8 votes

10th Mo Farah Double 2012 108 points

Undoubtably bolstered by the brit contingent and it being very fresh in our minds (i didn't vote for it) Mo Farah's home Olympic escapades give him another accolade to add to his recent achievements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEyt3ljt50E

i think this is pretty representative of what most households in the UK were doing at the time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyv3fl9nISU
mump boy

Postby John G » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:12 am

Rog wrote:The Cram of 85 and 86 was awesome, running world records in actual races, not solo runs. His 800 in the 86 Commonwealth Games impressed me more than anything Coe ever achieved at the distance - a 1:43 off a negative split in a championship final in poor conditions.

I was there and can confirm it was blowing a gale and bloody freezing!!
John G

Postby John G » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:39 am

mump boy wrote:8 votes

Undoubtably bolstered by the brit contingent and it being very fresh in our minds (i didn't vote for it) Mo Farah's home Olympic escapades give him another accolade to add to his recent achievements

i think this is pretty representative of what most households in the UK were doing at the time

I voted for the 5000 as my #1. The 10000 was wonderful but wouldn't make my Top 10. I've never experienced an atmosphere like that Saturday night. I've seen plenty of games at Wembley and was in the Sydney stadium when Cathy Freeman won but even that didn't come close. Similarly, nothing apart from the birth of my kids has touched me so deeply. Several factors were at play (in no particular order):
• The Games had exceeded everyone's expectations (even mine - and I'd been telling anyone who'd listen it would the week of our (British) lives).
• The crowd was full of people who had waited 2 long weeks for the opportunity to shout themselves hoarse. It was Saturday night. Drink had been taken (personally I was too nervous).
• Mo is a London boy and the perfect embodiment of multi-cultural Britain. After the 10. EVERYONE knew him and knew what a great bloke he was. Personally, when not in Oregon he lives in my town and trains in our local park.
For the athletics fans:
• There is an apreciation of what a double means and where it puts him in the history of the sport.
• We knew the 5000 was going to be much tougher with a DEEP field (half the all-time top 10 having been re-written earlier in the year)
• The slow early pace created so much tension.
• The gradual wind up over the last mile added to it.
• I was level with Mo when he took the lead and realised I'd peaked too soon (I was already shouting at my maximum volume). One lap later I'd got louder and noises were coming from me that were barely human. With 100 to go I couldn't hear myself.
• One-by-one they'd queued up to have a go: Koech, Lomong, Gebriwot, Iguider, Longosiwa and finally Gebremeskel. For 2 horrible seconds I though teh latter was going to 'Do a Jeylan' but then came the most unbelieveable surge of relief and emotion.

Just when I thought the memory couldn't be topped I watched Crammy's commentary. The single greatest piece of bradcasting in the sport's history. I watch it at least once a week.
John G

Postby Olli » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:59 am

mump boy wrote:
Olli wrote:Sorry, I am still not sure whether I got your logic. Will you return to the Munich 10,000m later or or is it now time to comment on it?

OK, I confess it is still a bit difficult to fathom your logic, as Montreal 5000m, which completed the double double, was ranked separately and the rest of it together. But never mind.

When I collected my list, I chose numbers 2–20 rather hastily, almost haphazardly, according to what popped into my mind. But for MY FAVORITE MOMENT #1 there was honestly but one serious contender: Viren, and more specifically the legendary 10,000m in Munich.

The reasons for this choice are, to be sure, largely personal; sorry if the following explanation is too long. The Munich Olympics were the first I followed. I was eight and my track&field enthusiasm at its peak. In the previous summer, Juha Väätäinen had won the 5,000m and 10,000m EC double, making wild the home crowd in the Helsinki stadium (I was not there on those days, although I did watch some of the events with my dad and sister). This created something of a national self-confidence that we Finns can once again excel in distance running.

Already in 1971, I followed how Viren and Väätäinen took turns in improving the 5000m NR: first Viren 13.35, the Väätäinen 13.32 in the EC, then Viren again 13.29 (seven-year-olds can learn such figures with little effort). Then, in 1972, I remember my excitement in listening to a radio broadcast of Finland–UK international, in which Viren made it 13.19, just three seconds over Clarke's WR. There was also the 2-mile WR run, where Viren showed he could compete with anyone.
Olli

Postby Olli » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:00 am

(continued)

So, Viren's condition was solidly improving towards the Olympics and he was establishing himself as a favorite. By the way, this is something that some present-day commentators, who even call him a surprise winner, do not seem to realize. (This issue also has some bearing on the notorious blood-doping charges. I do not claim to know the truth in this issue, but Viren's consistency in 1972 does not actually support such charges.)

I also remember seeing some average Finns, interviewed on TV before the Olympics about their expectations, telling that perhaps Väätäinen will again bring home some medals. I wondered how ignorant they were: Viren was surely now our No. 1.

For a young Viren fan with trembling with excitement, there could not have been a more perfect fulfillment of expectation than what actually took place. Even for non-fans, the race offered, I assume, a perfect piece of sports entertainment and drama: Bedford's crazy opening pace (first 400m in 59s) and surges, with some (especially Yifter) wasting energy in trying to follow each surge. Viren running a wiser and more peaceful run – until the inexplicable fall, which also took down Gammoudi (what might he have done at the end?). The moments of awful disappointment (for the Viren fan) followed by the incredible comeback. At the end: the grueling long struggle between Viren and Puttemans, their heartly hug after the race, and on top of all the new WR. (Viren would certainly have been capable of much better times with better pacing and without falling, but those were the good old days with less rabbitted races.)

For a long time I played Lasse Viren while running, and even today my kids – to whom I naturally have shown youtube video of this classic event – sometimes play Viren and Puttemans (whereas I have to be content with the role of Yifter).
Olli

Postby Rog » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:23 am

John G wrote:
mump boy wrote:8 votes

I voted for the 5000 as my #1. The 10000 was wonderful but wouldn't make my Top 10. I've never experienced an atmosphere like that Saturday night. I've seen plenty of games at Wembley and was in the Sydney stadium when Cathy Freeman won but even that didn't come close. Similarly, nothing apart from the birth of my kids has touched me so deeply. Several factors were at play (in no particular order):
• The Games had exceeded everyone's expectations (even mine - and I'd been telling anyone who'd listen it would the week of our (British) lives).
• The crowd was full of people who had waited 2 long weeks for the opportunity to shout themselves hoarse. It was Saturday night. Drink had been taken (personally I was too nervous).
• Mo is a London boy and the perfect embodiment of multi-cultural Britain. After the 10. EVERYONE knew him and knew what a great bloke he was. Personally, when not in Oregon he lives in my town and trains in our local park.
For the athletics fans:
• There is an apreciation of what a double means and where it puts him in the history of the sport.
• We knew the 5000 was going to be much tougher with a DEEP field (half the all-time top 10 having been re-written earlier in the year)
• The slow early pace created so much tension.
• The gradual wind up over the last mile added to it.
• I was level with Mo when he took the lead and realised I'd peaked too soon (I was already shouting at my maximum volume). One lap later I'd got louder and noises were coming from me that were barely human. With 100 to go I couldn't hear myself.
• One-by-one they'd queued up to have a go: Koech, Lomong, Gebriwot, Iguider, Longosiwa and finally Gebremeskel. For 2 horrible seconds I though teh latter was going to 'Do a Jeylan' but then came the most unbelieveable surge of relief and emotion.

Just when I thought the memory couldn't be topped I watched Crammy's commentary. The single greatest piece of bradcasting in the sport's history. I watch it at least once a week.

If I had been there I might have been tempted to watch John G rather than the race! Sounds like you were in danger of spontaneous combustion!
Rog

Postby mump boy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:20 pm

Olli wrote:
mump boy wrote:

OK, I confess it is still a bit difficult to fathom your logic, as Montreal 5000m, which completed the double double, was ranked separately and the rest of it together. But never mind.

I can't fathom it either :? not sure what i've done :(

I'll check it out when i get home on tues but i assume the earlier post was a mistake of some sort

Sorry for confusion
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:06 pm

10 votes

To of the most dominant track performances ever share 8th place

8th Bob Beamon LJ 68 123 points

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEt_Xgg8dzc

Bolt 200m 2008 123 points

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUpC71WbAhA
mump boy

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results No8

Postby Daisy » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:12 pm

Bolt is mine. When I saw Johnson run 19.32 in Atlanta I thought that record would stand for the foreseeable future. Little did we know that a superman called Bolt would arrive on the scene. This performance was as astounding as MJ's.
Daisy

Postby Rog » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:30 am

Bolt's 200 in 08 was high up on my list. I thought Michael Johnson's 19.32 was the greatest of all track world records, a quantum leap in performance that seemed set to last for generations. Even after Bolt's magnificent performance in the 100, this record still looked too tough. Bolt looked tired, and the record just seemed too good.

The way Bolt attacked the race, with full commitment from the start, to storm home so far ahead of an elite Olympic field, impressed me nearly as much as his 100. To break the greatest of all track records, into a headwind, was to my mind to that point the greatest performance of all time.

Not all world records are equal. David Rudisha reaped deserved praise for breaking the 800 record in last year's Olympics, yet that record has only improved by about 0.8 since 1981. In the same period, ignoring altitude performances, the 200 record has improved by about as much. Given that the 200 is a sprint event, the expectation would be that records should be improved by much smaller margins (by contrast, the 1500 record has improved by about 5 seconds since 1981). Rudisha's impact in London was tremendous, yet dwarfed by Bolt in Beijing, and Bolt's level of performance shows why. That he was able to improve further is a mark of his unequalled talent.
Rog

Postby bobguild76 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:03 am

mump boy wrote:10 votes

Both are on my list. Beamon (my #6) ... how many performances in T&F become adjectives? I was in 9th grade, and that amazing Long Jump was one of the defining moments that turned me into a lifelong T&F fanatic. All of us on the cross country team were following the Olympics, mostly in print ... but the coach pulled us in for a TV recap, and the long jump just blew us away. What still amazes me is how high he jumped. It seemed that he was still going up when he finished his hitch kick. A side note ... in a culture of feet and inches, I always knew that 8.90 was 29' 2 1/2".

Bolt (my #13) will certainly grow with time in my memories. Had MJ never run 19.32, this would be higher on my list. Same as Daisy, I never thought I would live to see MJ's record broken. But then along comes a lightning Bolt, and as Rog said, he attacked that 200 with everything he had. Equal parts of effort, strength, and relaxing. And then the joy that makes him so special. Wow!
bobguild76

Postby batonless relay » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:22 am

Babe Ruth hit many home runs, but one of the best remembered was the apocryphal "called shot" home run. Bolt's 19.30 is a track and field equivalent of the "called shot" as is Rudisha's WR which itself deserves more acclaim. these men didn't just break another WR they either broke records that people had thought were unbreakable (Bolt) or in a place, the Olympics, where it was believed that the record was unbreakable (Rudisha). And, they did it not because of the competition but because they chose to. MJ missed the WR at 400m though he was clearly gunning for it. He already held the WR at 200m but was vulnerable to a loss if he wasn't at his absolute best. Bolt and Rudisha WILLED their way to the WR and for that reason I believe them to be superior to 19.30 - even without the passage of time.
batonless relay

Postby mump boy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:07 pm

It's been established on many occasions that i can't add up but Bob and Usain weren't +8th they're +9th :?

10 votes

7th Jess Ennis hep 2012 143 points

The face of the London Olympics dominated the games and ran a stunning 12.54 100mh to boot !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ogwLIPAjKk
mump boy

Postby donley2 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:29 pm

mump boy wrote:10 votes

Beamon was my number one. I had a poster (don't know if I still have it) of beamon with a quote about doing things people said are impossible. That performance is still mind boggling regardless of the conditions.
donley2

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results No7

Postby Rog » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:20 am

I had Jess as part of my Super Saturday vote. No-one in the UK in any sport at the Olympics had to bear the brunt of so much pressure as Jessica Ennis. She had one of the most competitive events and had lost the Worlds, but to the British public she was the face of athletics, even ahead of Mo and Dai Greene. As we know, she coped brilliantly and was one of the stars of the whole athletics tournament.

It's interesting to see how things have developed for her since. Her coach is no longer funded, and the track at which she trains is to be closed down. It's typical for the UK that our greatest athlete gets let down like this. Of all British athletes, though, I would trust Jess to cope with setbacks and still find a way to fight back. I'd love to see her win in Moscow and score over 7,000.
Rog

Postby Daisy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:09 am

Rog wrote:and the track at which she trains is to be closed down.

Where does she train?
Daisy

Postby Rog » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:24 am

Daisy wrote:
Rog wrote:and the track at which she trains is to be closed down.

Where does she train?

Don Valley Stadium in Sheffield - here's the link to the BBC story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-so ... e-21627003
Rog

Postby Daisy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:44 am

Rog wrote:Don Valley Stadium in Sheffield

Unbelievable, I thought that was one of their center pieces? I remember seeing Jon Drummond win the World student games there. It was a really good facility, from what I remember.

You'd think that Coe would have some clout in trying to keep it open, didn't he grow up in Sheffield?
Daisy

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:14 pm

Daisy wrote:
Rog wrote:Don Valley Stadium in Sheffield

Unbelievable, I thought that was one of their center pieces? I remember seeing Jon Drummond win the World student games there. It was a really good facility, from what I remember.

You'd think that Coe would have some clout in trying to keep it open, didn't he grow up in Sheffield?

A friend of mine who lives in Sheffield and was on the 1984 Oly team with Coe, raised the same question. I guess he can't be bothered. He hasn't even commented on it.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby mump boy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:39 pm

My understanding is that Jess doesn't train there at all but at the track down the road

Don Valley was a stadium of 25,000 people that hasn't held a track since the 2nd british GP moved to B'ham years ago !! obviously i would prefer it stayed open but it can't only be done on sentiment
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:08 pm

10 Votes

6th

Kelly Holmes Double 2004 145 points

This was VERY high on my list. It is the personification of never giving up, she eventually got it right at exactly the same time.

After her breakthrough in '93 when she equaled row English record while reaching the WC semi. she consolidated in 94 becoming CG champ and Euro Silver medals behind Rogarchova and made it to true world class in 95's with 2 medals in Gothenburg. Great things were expected but injury put pay to our hopes for Kelly :(

With lots of medical help she was 4th in the Atlanta 800 she and then limped through the 1500

She was world No1 going into Athens 97 and should have been world champ but got injured in her last training session and dropped out in her 1500 heat, got back just in time to win the 98 CWG but she was never the same again.

From 98 she managed a few more medals but never The Big G and was always struggling with injuries but come Athens 2004 everything changed

An move to train with Maria and coach Margot Jennings gave her a new lease of life and i've always thought gave her the skills to train smart rather than hard. And Athens was a revelation.

I was lucky enough to be in the stadium that night and it was just amazing, i was supposed to be working but i bunked off to celebrate, after the 800m

the 1500 was a shoe in and she totally dominated the race. If only she'd got it together earlier the debate over the rather weak field of w1500 GOAT would be decided

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV6LfdD97fY

Last point if we were speaking about specific 'moments' e.g. split seconds then Kelly's face as she crossed the line would be my No1. She crosses the line arms a loft and then thinks better of it and her face drops as she's can't quite believe it's actually happened there are a few seconds before someone on the infield confirms that she has won and festivities can begin
mump boy

Postby Daisy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:36 pm

mump boy wrote:6th Kelly Holmes Double 2004 145 points

She was my 4th Brit behind Thompson, Ovett and Ennis. Her racing savvy was very impressive in both races, you felt she was in control the whole time. Best, while I expected her to be in the hunt, I never expected the dominance she showed.
Daisy

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results No6 Kelly Hol

Postby Rog » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:01 am

I voted for Kelly Holmes. I think until 2012 Kelly's gold medals stood out as the most popular in British athletics history, and even now they've only been equalled, not surpassed. Kelly was always a popular athlete, and there was a lot of sympathy for her that injuries had prevented her ever reaching her full potential. That she was finally able to overcome them and triumph on the greatest stage of all was just reward for her perseverance.

In the UK the BBC runs a competition every December for Sports Personality of the Year. It's voted by the public and it covers people from all sports. When Kelly won the 1500, I remember reading a pundit's opinion that the identity of that year's winner was now settled - no-one would be able to beat Kelly. He was right!
Rog

Postby nevetsllim » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:35 am

I voted for Holmes' 800/1500m double. I'd always had a faint interest in athletics but that was the catalyst which got me hooked!
nevetsllim

Postby Flumpy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:06 pm

Seems like I missed some out.............

mump boy wrote:4 Points
31st
Super Saturday 45 points

For some unfathomable reason I placed this at #11??? Now obviously it was great and all but if I'm honest I think I put it there out of duty more than actual affection. I know I'm alone in this but the 2012 Olympics fell a bit flat for me and 4 Gold or not Team GB underperformed. This was a fantastic night but none of the individual moments stand out for me in the way previous Olynpic wins have.

mump boy wrote:18th
Flo Jo 200m 88 75 poins

My #8

As a teenage gayer it goes without saying that Flo Jo was my favourite athlete in the world. She has 4 inch nails, wore one legged cat suits and lycra hoods. I'd loved her for years so when I first heard she'd run the 10.49 I was overjoyed and remember jumping around the playground at school after reading about it in AW.

She didn't disappoint in Seoul and easily won the 100m running away smiling, but it was the 200m that was most mind blowing. 21.32 is insane. Way better than either MJ or Bolt's 200m WR's. I also loved that the classy Grace Jackson got silver in sucha fast time.

Obviously with hindsight I don't hold her performances or her in such high esteem but I was judging this on how I felt at the time. There has never been an athlete that so entranced me and there probably never will be again.

Such a shame she's more or less ruined womens sprinting for a generation.

mump boy wrote:6 Votes

15th

w100mh 92 51 points

My #10

Twas fantabulous. I love a shocker and this has to be amongst the biggest in T&F history. Even if Gail hadn't fallen Patoulidou would still have run the race of her life, as it was she ended up with the gold. Met her many years later at the WI's in Lisbon. I was super excited and she couldn't understand why we wanted her picture taken with her. I was far less enthused when I met Carl Lewis :?
Flumpy

Postby drdan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:21 pm

Flumpy wrote:
mump boy wrote:18th
Flo Jo 200m 88 75 poins

My #8

As a teenage gayer it goes without saying that Flo Jo was my favourite athlete in the world. She has 4 inch nails, wore one legged cat suits and lycra hoods. I'd loved her for years so when I first heard she'd run the 10.49 I was overjoyed and remember jumping around the playground at school after reading about it in AW.

She didn't disappoint in Seoul and easily won the 100m running away smiling, but it was the 200m that was most mind blowing. 21.32 is insane. Way better than either MJ or Bolt's 200m WR's. I also loved that the classy Grace Jackson got silver in sucha fast time.

Obviously with hindsight I don't hold her performances or her in such high esteem but I was judging this on how I felt at the time. There has never been an athlete that so entranced me and there probably never will be again.

Such a shame she's more or less ruined womens sprinting for a generation.

s'funny, as a teenage gayer (or almost, anyway) Heike was totally my icon. i maintain to this day a better lane draw would have seen her get closer to Flo-Jo!
drdan

Postby Flumpy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:46 pm

But Heike didn't wear lace gloves and snoods??? :? :lol:
Flumpy

Postby John G » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:22 am

Flumpy wrote: I know I'm alone in this but the 2012 Olympics fell a bit flat for me and 4 Gold or not Team GB underperformed. This was a fantastic night but none of the individual moments stand out for me in the way previous Olynpic wins have.

I read lots of comments from you and your brother in the run-up to The Games and worried for you both! You reminded me of myself whenever bands I've loved have become famous.
John G

PreviousNext