South Paw

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

South Paw

Postby DoubleRBar » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:56 pm

Happy 66th birthday today (Monday) to an Olympic champion with two Olympic gold medals from the same Games.

Both Olympic gold medals came with world records.

This champion went to high school and college in the same city.

You can forget the field events when trying to figure the two events our birthday athlete won.

Only 21 years of age when winning the two Olympic gold medals, this athlete proved to be the best of 64 athletes from 49 countries in the first of the two events.

Born on a Tuesday, this champion won the first Olympic gold medal on a Friday and the second medal on a Sunday.

Sharing the same initials as an actor (born in 1911) who was in "On The Waterfront" (Best Picture of the Year for 1954), our birthday athlete qualified for another Olympics, but never got to compete in those Games.

Who is our birthday person for today?
DoubleRBar

Re: South Paw

Postby dukehjsteve » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:38 pm

I can't remember the women that won in the 100 or the 400 in Mexico City, and I don't know where Texas Southern is, but maybe it's in Houston, and maybe that's where JIM HINES is from. And the only 2 actors I know from On the Waterfront are Karl Malden and Marlon Brando... but a JH ? Don't know that.

I'll stick with Jim Hines as my SWAG.
dukehjsteve

Postby Rog » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:43 pm

Lee Evans - Champion at 400 and 4x400, both with world records. Same initials as Leif Erickson. I was just talking about this movie lately, have to watch it
Rog

Postby mcgato » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:22 pm

Was just watching "On the Waterfront" the other night on TCM. I just moved out of Hoboken, where it was mostly filmed, so it was fun to see the locations that they used.
mcgato

Postby DoubleRBar » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:22 pm

Nice job, Rog and happy birthday today to Lee Evans (66). Yes, he does share the same initials as Leif Erickson (the actor). I believe, dukehjsteve, that Hines went to high school in Oakland, California.

You probably know that "On The Waterfront" was Eva Marie Saint's first movie and she won "Best Supporting Actress" for it. She really doesn't have a lot to do with track and field, however she and Dave Wottle (1972 Munich) both graduated from Bowling Green in Ohio.

I mentioned that because Wottle won the 800 in Munich and Lee Evans had qualified to run the relay in Munich, however he did not run because Vince Matthews and Wayne Collett were not allowed to run and that left the United States without a four by 400 relay team.
DoubleRBar

Postby bambam » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:39 pm

DoubleRBar wrote:I mentioned that because Wottle won the 800 in Munich and Lee Evans had qualified to run the relay in Munich, however he did not run because Vince Matthews and Wayne Collett were not allowed to run and that left the United States without a four by 400 relay team.

Matthews, Collett, a healthy John Smith, and Lee Evans - potentially the greatest ever 4x4 team if they could have run, and all been healthy. Oh well.
bambam

Postby DoubleRBar » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:15 pm

Yes, it's too bad that team didn't get the chance to run in Munich, however the resulting final (won by Kenya in 2:59.83) was a very exciting race. Great Britain took the silver medal in 3:00.46 and France was bronze in 3:00.65. Julius Sang ran 43.5 for his anchor leg. Karl Honz anchored Germany in 45.0 (20.1 and 24.9) and fourth place. I would say that a healthy U.S. team (Smith was injured) could have run about 2:55 to 2:56, but who knows?
DoubleRBar

Postby KDFINE » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:51 pm

For the life of me I couldn't remember Leif Ericsson in "On the Waterfront." I just checked Wikipedia and he isn't mentioned among the actors. Did he have a minor role, or is he being confused with Lee J. Cobb (real name Lee Jacob)?
KDFINE

Postby DoubleRBar » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:51 pm

He didn't have a major role. His name in the movie was "Glover". Leif Erickson would have been about 43 when he took that role.
DoubleRBar