T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results No1 David Rudisha

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results. 5 Votes

Postby TN1965 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:19 pm

"Bernie" is six letters and "Kip" (from his middle name Kipchirchir) is three letters.

It is easier to type. :)
TN1965

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:59 pm

DrJay wrote:

PS Has the image uploading function here ever been reactivated?

They have to be small. 100 pixels on the side.

The Snowbound Martini. (Very Dry)
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby odelltrclan » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:43 pm

I had Flo Jo, Coe v. Ovett, and EL G on my list, with Lewis LJ feat as an honorable mention.

Others have given great reasons which I shared. I had El G's race at #5. With so many close calls and then the epic close win in this race, this was one of the great races in the history of the event. Two of the GOAT for the event coming down to an epic battle in the stretch. Guts and long last glory for El G. It doesn't get any better than that.

Ovett upsetting Coe in the 800 and then for Coe to return the favor in the 1500 when most probably expected Ovett to win was on par as well. Great Drama. Great T&F memory!
odelltrclan

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results. Last 4 Votes

Postby odelltrclan » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:03 pm

Daisy wrote:
mump boy wrote:25th

Alberto Juanterena double 76 39 points

I had this, this was the first Olympics that I really remember and Juanterena seemed like a man among boys. Much like Bolt now.

I had this as well. One of my earliest memories. Of course I was hoping Wohlhuter would win and was left in awe of Jauntarena. Seems like we shared a lot of the same picks.
odelltrclan

Postby mump boy » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:52 pm

6 Votes

15th

w100mh 92 51 points

14th

Jessie Owens 4 golds 36 63 points (includes 100m victory)
mump boy

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results. 6 Votes

Postby Rog » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:12 am

Jesse Owens was one of mine. After I'd got into athletics, and was reading up on the history of the sport, this was always the big, historic event, even above Bannister's 4 minute mile.

As I grew older however I understood more and more what a great achievement this was, and the significance of a black athlete being the star of the Olympics held in the Aryan homeland in the Nazi era. At that point I realised that Owens' accomplishment transcended both his sport and indeed the Olympics themselves. This was why Carl Lewis could never match him - even by winning 4 golds, he was still only beating his competition, and not racism itself.

Jesse Owens will be remembered long after every other name in this poll fades from the world's memory.
Rog

Postby Johnners » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:37 am

mump boy wrote:6 Votes

15th

w100mh 92 51 points

14th

The 1992 hurdles was extraordinary. I remember watching it on the TV in my bedroom, wondering whether Devers could go a 12.3 and having been surprised she had won the 100m. Bizarrely I recall thinking - literally - that it would be crazy if she fell or something, because she seemed such a shoe in.

Patoulidou's celebrations were fantastic and went on for an age. The exiled King (Constantine) of Greece was in the stadium going mad as well. I recall her being delighted after getting 3rd in the semi to make the final so winning must have been crazy. I don't think she ever ran a hurdles race again (though she made the Atlanta LJ final).

Tolbert had a whole host of wins on the circuit that year and looked good for a medal but clipped the 9th (I think) and just missed out. Great memories.
Johnners

Postby Pego » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:31 am

Rog wrote:Jesse Owens was one of mine. After I'd got into athletics, and was reading up on the history of the sport, this was always the big, historic event, even above Bannister's 4 minute mile.

As I grew older however I understood more and more what a great achievement this was, and the significance of a black athlete being the star of the Olympics held in the Aryan homeland in the Nazi era. At that point I realised that Owens' accomplishment transcended both his sport and indeed the Olympics themselves. This was why Carl Lewis could never match him - even by winning 4 golds, he was still only beating his competition, and not racism itself.

Jesse Owens will be remembered long after every other name in this poll fades from the world's memory.

A qualifier here. I am sure that many participants (myself including) voted only for persons (events) they witnessed rather than of what they know from history. Owens, Nurmi, other pre-WWII legends would receive many more votes otherwise.
Pego

Postby mump boy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:59 am

Johnners wrote:
mump boy wrote:6 Votes

15th

w100mh 92 51 points

14th

Patoulidou's celebrations were fantastic and went on for an age.

This was one of mine as well for these reasons ^^ she ran her perfect race that day andone of the most improbable wins of all time :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwL2NSHc ... age#t=132s

now that's how to celebrate
mump boy

Postby Daisy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:31 am

Pego wrote:I am sure that many participants (myself including) voted only for persons (events) they witnessed rather than of what they know from history. Owens, Nurmi, other pre-WWII legends would receive many more votes otherwise.

I was comparing my top twenty athletes from last year, to my top twenty moments, and I am biased towards events I actually saw for the latter. That is the nature of this poll. The only moment on my list that I did not actually see was John Akii-Bua's WR from 1972. All of my picks, except for three, are 1980 or later.

Comparing my two lists, it is interesting how different they are: For example, Akii-Bua is one of my top Olympic moments, but I didn't have him in my top twenty athletes. For my top twenty athletes I had Kip Keino, Mary Rand, Don Quarrie and Peter Snell. A year later none made my Olympic moment list. Actually, only four athletes made both of my lists, Steve Ovett, Daley Thompson, Michael Johnson and Joaquim Cruz.

Disclaimer: Don't look for any internal logic in my picks.
Daisy

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results. Last 4 Votes

Postby John G » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:47 am

odelltrclan wrote:
Daisy wrote:
mump boy wrote:25th

Alberto Juanterena double 76 39 points

I had this, this was the first Olympics that I really remember and Juanterena seemed like a man among boys. Much like Bolt now.

I had this as well. One of my earliest memories. Of course I was hoping Wohlhuter would win and was left in awe of Jauntarena. Seems like we shared a lot of the same picks.

I had him as well. Through my 10 year old eyes, he had everything: the long socks, the coolest strip (especially the Cuba logo). the awesome stride length and even a nick name - White Lightning!!!! Athletics inthe UK in the mid-70s was particularly unglamorous. There was a period when a domestic race over 800m couldn't be held without the presence of Ray Smedley. Alberto Juantorena was my antidote to Ray Smedley.
John G

Postby John G » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:52 am

mump boy wrote:17th

Coe v Ovett 1500m 80 79 points

Up to that point, this was the saddest, most gut wrenching moment of my young life. Still can't bear to watch it.
John G

Postby batonless relay » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:52 am

Flumpy wrote:Last summer mump and I went to see John Carlos talk at a cinema near the Olympic stadium. We got there early and nabbed seats right in the centre.

Big Mistake!!!

We went for athletics/Olympic reasons as in our head that's why he's famous but most of the people in attendance saw him as a political figure and an icon of the civil rights movement. Once he started talking he didn't stop for about an hour and a half. He'd be asked a question and then give a long, rambling stream of conciousness in reply, jumping all over the places, making little sense and never getting anywhere near giving a coherant answer. I had literally no idea whta he was going on about. The audience sat there rapt. Hanging off every word and when given the chance asking sychophantic questions about how inspirational he is.

It was torturous. The Olympics were hardly mentioned. I would have left but sitting right in the middle of a row facing Dr Carlos it was impossible. Mump kept nudging me as I fell asleep 4 or 5 times.

By the end local people with causes were trying to get him to sign their petitions and support their fights with the council about housing issues. I just wanted to shout.

'Why did you run such a terrible race and lose the silver medal???'.

We went to a similar event for Tommy Smith a while later which was 100 x better.

Sport isn't everything. I think you are being extremely short-sighted about Carlos and his impact beyond sport. The same would go for Jesse Owens, Jackie Robinson or before being discredited, Lance Armstrong and his work with cancer. It might seem trivial to die-hard sports fans but questions about LIFE can be more important. (i would have asked about Norman if anything, but i wouldn't have slammed the people who wanted to ask about the other stuff).
batonless relay

Postby odelltrclan » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:50 am

John G wrote:

Up to that point, this was the saddest, most gut wrenching moment of my young life. Still can't bear to watch it.

Ok, please elaborate on that for a moment? Were you a Coe hater? If so, why?
odelltrclan

Postby John G » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:37 pm

odelltrclan wrote:
John G wrote:

Most people (and I'm talking about the general public, not just athletics fans) in the UK were firmly on the Ovett or Coe camp. Even now, anyone over 40 can tell you who they supported. I loved Ovett but must admit I truly disliked Coe as well. My perception was that he was smug, overly serious and very much an establishment man. It didn't seem a coincidence to me that people I disliked in the media and the playground (which made up most of my universe) were fans of Coe.

I have huge admiration for what Coe has done for British sport since but there's still something about him that rubs me up the wrong way. (Clearly, this says more about me than him!!)

Back to that 1500, I truly believe Ovett was still the better 1500 runner at that stage in their careers. Most of you will have read marknhj's account of Ovett's celebrations on the night of the 800 and I think that explains a lot about his motivation and physical readiness for the 1500! (But, clearly, I am biased.. .. .. .. ..)
John G

Postby mump boy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:48 pm

batonless relay wrote: i wouldn't have slammed the people who wanted to ask about the other stuff).

You didn't have have to sit through it !! one of the most tortuous 3 hours of my life :?
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:52 pm

John G wrote:
odelltrclan wrote:
John G wrote:

Most people (and I'm talking about the general public, not just athletics fans) in the UK were firmly on the Ovett or Coe camp. Even now, anyone over 40 can tell you who they supported. I loved Ovett but must admit I truly disliked Coe as well. My perception was that he was smug, overly serious and very much an establishment man. It didn't seem a coincidence to me that people I disliked in the media and the playground (which made up most of my universe) were fans of Coe.

I have huge admiration for what Coe has done for British sport since but there's still something about him that rubs me up the wrong way. (Clearly, this says more about me than him!!)

Back to that 1500, I truly believe Ovett was still the better 1500 runner at that stage in their careers. Most of you will have read marknhj's account of Ovett's celebrations on the night of the 800 and I think that explains a lot about his motivation and physical readiness for the 1500! (But, clearly, I am biased.. .. .. .. ..)

I was at Crystal Palace in 1990 (was it '90) when Coe ran his last race. The whole crown stood to cheer except for my mum who stayed in her seat and loudly proclaimed

"i'm not standing for man, i can't stand him' :lol: :lol:

I was never keen Coe, especially when he became a Tory MP but i must say my attitude has softened after his rather amazing exploits over the past few year. I'm rather a fan these days
mump boy

Postby Rog » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:55 pm

I think the clearest illustration of the distinction between Ovett and Coe came in what they did with their 800m medals. Coe received his looking like he's been handed a turd, as Clive James put it, and kept a sour face through the ceremony. When Ovett got home, his gave his medal to a child who had a serious illness. Ovett was generous whilst Coe was utterly ungracious. It's easier to like Coe now but in his heyday he could be hard to take to.
Rog

Postby odelltrclan » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:02 pm

Rog wrote:I think the clearest illustration of the distinction between Ovett and Coe came in what they did with their 800m medals. Coe received his looking like he's been handed a turd, as Clive James put it, and kept a sour face through the ceremony. When Ovett got home, his gave his medal to a child who had a serious illness. Ovett was generous whilst Coe was utterly ungracious. It's easier to like Coe now but in his heyday he could be hard to take to.

Interesting. My perception from this side of the pond was that Ovett was the elusive stand offish kind of guy. Made for great races in the rare times they did meet, the 1980 Olympics being two of the best.
odelltrclan

Postby Daisy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:05 pm

odelltrclan wrote:My perception from this side of the pond was that Ovett was the elusive stand offish kind of guy

I could have written what John wrote above.

I think the perception of Ovett being stand offish comes from the fact that he did not like, or want, to talk to the press. But he was definitely the more popular of the two in the UK.
Daisy

Postby Flumpy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:31 pm

batonless relay wrote:Sport isn't everything. I think you are being extremely short-sighted about Carlos and his impact beyond sport. The same would go for Jesse Owens, Jackie Robinson or before being discredited, Lance Armstrong and his work with cancer. It might seem trivial to die-hard sports fans but questions about LIFE can be more important. (i would have asked about Norman if anything, but i wouldn't have slammed the people who wanted to ask about the other stuff).

HUH??? I'm not slamming anyone :?

It was us that misunderstood his place in the public's conciousness. With the event taking place right next to the Olympic Park and the games about to begin we'd assumed that would be the main topic of conversation but it wasn't at all. This of course could still have been an interesting evening had any of his answers lasted for less than 20 minutes, taken any form of linear narrative or for that matter made a blind bit of sense.
Flumpy

Postby TN1965 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:32 pm

Rog wrote:I think the clearest illustration of the distinction between Ovett and Coe came in what they did with their 800m medals. Coe received his looking like he's been handed a turd, as Clive James put it, and kept a sour face through the ceremony. When Ovett got home, his gave his medal to a child who had a serious illness. Ovett was generous whilst Coe was utterly ungracious. It's easier to like Coe now but in his heyday he could be hard to take to.

Of course, if 1500m had been the first race and Coe had unexpectedly won it, he would still have been ungracious, and Ovett would have been generous with his silver (or bronze) medal, right? :wink:
TN1965

Postby eldanielfire » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:40 pm

Daisy wrote:
odelltrclan wrote:My perception from this side of the pond was that Ovett was the elusive stand offish kind of guy

I could have written what John wrote above.

I think the perception of Ovett being stand offish comes from the fact that he did not like, or want, to talk to the press. But he was definitely the more popular of the two in the UK.

It seems to me Ovett was hugely difficult, though it was all beforemy time Ovett seemed to have the slight rebel rep despite beinging an arrogant sod. That Ovett used to wave to the crowd mid-race and it resulted in this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVxxaj1j9nE
eldanielfire

Postby Daisy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:08 pm

eldanielfire wrote:Ovett seemed to have the slight rebel rep despite beinging an arrogant sod.

I never really viewed his antic as arrogant at the time. Possibly naivety on my behalf. I clearly remember the waves at Crystal Palace, they'd make the crowd erupt. I seem to remember the waves disappearing when the record chasing began. The pre-record chasing Ovett was more fun, for sure. He was a racer and not really a time trialer, that all changed in 81.

I just looked at the link. Sure, he lost to Treacy, ran like a dope, but that was an end of season race, possibly the last of the year? He was enjoying the crowd, as the crowd was enjoying his appearance. I wonder if he had anything other than a good laugh about it?

Interesting to note that the uploader who writes
Arrogance Personified:.....Steve Ovett (GB) with an overbearing display of superiority and self-importance, loses because of sheer arrogance

Then writes:
He had just won the 1500m Olympic Gold in Moscow and had numerous other titles to his name including many World Records

My sense is that this individual has an axe to grind and has no real knowledge of Ovett.
Daisy

Postby John G » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:53 am

TN1965 wrote:

Of course, if 1500m had been the first race and Coe had unexpectedly won it, he would still have been ungracious, and Ovett would have been generous with his silver (or bronze) medal, right? :wink:

From 1980 on Ovett lost quite a few big races and was always extremely gracious in defeat. Even before that - look at his reaction when he lost to Beyer in 78. Since retiring he has always been very modest about his achievements and has repeatedly said that he always knew Coe was a far better athlete than him.

My favourite Ovett story is one his ex-wife told about their young daughter coming home from school having learned about the Olympics (they were living in Oz and it was the build up to the Sydney Games). She couldn't wait to tell her Dad that a man with exactly the same name as him had once won a gold medal.
John G

Postby John G » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:01 am

eldanielfire wrote:It seems to me Ovett was hugely difficult, though it was all beforemy time Ovett seemed to have the slight rebel rep despite beinging an arrogant sod. That Ovett used to wave to the crowd mid-race and it resulted in this:

Read Pat Butcher's book and see if it changes your perception.

BTW, I share Daisy's view. The Palace crowd LOVED the wave. Apart from a few direct competitors, most runners recognised Ovett as one of them - a VERY good club runner - and saw the wave as simply an expression of sheer exuberance and in no way a sign of arrogance towards the other competitors. In the end the crowd expected it and who could resist something that caused 17,000 people to roar their approval.

I can't access the video but have photos of the end of that race with Ovett hugging Treacy with a huge grin on his face.
John G

Postby marknhj » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:08 am

From my perspective John, Rog and Daisy have it right; I'm in complete agreement with their viewpoints.

I did a list to enter on this thread but didn't submit it because of the browser warnings. My # 1 favorite Olympic moment was Ovett winning the 800m in Moscow. I was really really hoping he'd double and was disappointed in almost equal measure when he lost the 1500m to Coe. I often wondered what would have happened if the race hadn't been so "impacted" by the probably dodgy GDR athlete, Straub.
marknhj

Postby TN1965 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:33 am

John G wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:It seems to me Ovett was hugely difficult, though it was all beforemy time Ovett seemed to have the slight rebel rep despite beinging an arrogant sod. That Ovett used to wave to the crowd mid-race and it resulted in this:

I'd recommend the same to people who are vilifying Coe here. Would anyone still think of Coe as evil personified after reading that book?

BTW, I don't think any race Ovett lost since 1980 had the same significance as Coe's 800m, and that includes the 1500m in Moscow. So I think you are still comparing apples and oranges.
TN1965

Postby John G » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:35 am

TN1965 wrote:
John G wrote:

I'd recommend the same to people who are vilifying Coe here. Would anyone still think of Coe as evil personified after reading that book?

BTW, I don't think any race Ovett lost since 1980 had the same significance as Coe's 800m, and that includes the 1500m in Moscow. So I think you are still comparing apples and oranges.

No one has vilified Coe. We just admitted that while everyone respects him, some of us don't particularly like him. Butcher's book reinforced my feelings.
John G

Postby bobguild76 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:39 pm

Coe or Ovett? One of the great rivalries in all sports. I have always been an Ovett fan.

I never met either of them, so my impressions are as a Yank who watched from the other side of the "pond". It always seemed to me that Ovett ran because he loved the racing and the camaraderie with other athletes, while Coe seemed to run because he was good at it, his father demanded it, and it was a means to an end. It never seemed that Coe derived pleasure from running and racing, while Ovett seemed to thrive on it.

There is no doubt that Coe deserves a special place in the pantheon of 800/1500 runners ... can't argue with 2 golds, 2 silvers, and the 800/1500/mile WRs. But Ovett was as untouchable in his heyday as anyone. He was Yifter-like in that explosive acceleration. Nowhere close to Coe in the Olympic medal category, just about even in the 1500/mile WR category, and several laps ahead of Coe in the; "Who would you want to sit in a pub with, share a pint, and listen to his stories" category.
bobguild76

Postby TN1965 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:15 pm

bobguild76 wrote:Nowhere close to Coe in the Olympic medal category, just about even in the 1500/mile WR category, and several laps ahead of Coe in the; "Who would you want to sit in a pub with, share a pint, and listen to his stories" category.

This is the kind of comment that rubs me the wrong way.

Why can't people simply say "I like Ovett better than Coe" instead of saying "Ovett is more likable than Coe"? Is it an objective truth that anyone would rather sit with Ovett than Coe, instead of a matter of personal preference?
TN1965

Postby bobguild76 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:55 pm

TN1965 wrote:
bobguild76 wrote:Nowhere close to Coe in the Olympic medal category, just about even in the 1500/mile WR category, and several laps ahead of Coe in the; "Who would you want to sit in a pub with, share a pint, and listen to his stories" category.

This is the kind of comment that rubs me the wrong way.

Why can't people simply say "I like Ovett better than Coe" instead of saying "Ovett is more likable than Coe"? Is it an objective truth that anyone would rather sit with Ovett than Coe, instead of a matter of personal preference?

Good point. Would it help if I had said; ".. in my opinion, several laps ahead ..."? In any case, based on my years of not having met either, I like Ovett better than Coe. :D
bobguild76

Postby mump boy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:07 pm

7 votes

13th

Seb Coe 1500m 84 93 points

12th

Lasse Viren double 97 points (across 2 events etc )

11th

w4x100 2012 103 points

Which also brings us nicely to the top 10, they will come individually with some intro.

I'm away at the european indoors so i'm not promising but i will try and get some posted this weekend
mump boy

Postby Daisy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:21 pm

mump boy wrote:Seb Coe 1500m 84 93 points

Both mine.

Coe for sticking it to the press at the end of the race. Not to mention managing to peak for the big event in a year that didn't start out so well.

Viren for doing what seemed impossible. 76 was pretty much my first Olympics and his achievement was the one that has stuck with me.
Daisy

Postby odelltrclan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:58 pm

Daisy wrote:

Both mine.

Coe for sticking it to the press at the end of the race. Not to mention managing to peak for the big event in a year that didn't start out so well.

Viren for doing what seemed impossible. 76 was pretty much my first Olympics and his achievement was the one that has stuck with me.

Two of my favorites as well. Please elaborate on "sticking it to the press". I don't remember anything about that.
odelltrclan

Postby bobguild76 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:33 pm

odelltrclan wrote:
Daisy wrote:

Both mine.

Two of my favorites as well. Please elaborate on "sticking it to the press". I don't remember anything about that.

Most of the press had written Coe off coming into the Olympics, but he peaked superbly and defended his 1500 title (as well as his 2nd 800 silver). After the race, and after his initial celebration, he turned to the press box and, with tremendous passion, anger, and relief, yelled; "NOW BELIEVE IN ME!!!" It was an amazing moment, and capped his equally amazing Olympic career.
bobguild76

Postby bobguild76 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:39 pm

mump boy wrote:7 votes

11th

w4x100 2012 103 points

Which also brings us nicely to the top 10, they will come individually with some intro.

I'm away at the european indoors so i'm not promising but i will try and get some posted this weekend

This was my #3. It was the fastest and slowest 40.82 seconds in my life. Twas a thing of beauty that I replay in my mind in slow motion, and it still seems blindingly fast. And to have the Jamaican team so close behind, or was it light years behind?!

One thing still amazes me ... that Jeter, while at full speed, focused on the win, KNEW that it was a WR even as she closed on the finish line. T&FN totally nailed it with their Olympic Issue cover photo.
bobguild76

Postby Daisy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:46 pm

bobguild76 wrote:One thing still amazes me ... that Jeter, while at full speed, focused on the win, KNEW that it was a WR even as she closed on the finish line.

That was an amazing moment. I didn't vote for it but I think as time goes on it will rise up my list.

As to Coe and the (British tabloid) press, your description above was exactly what I was thinking of. Many of the youtube videos have it, and it's not too hard to lip read.
Daisy

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:12 pm

It might be right after she crossed, and was the flash time; gh?
26mi235

Postby gh » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:16 pm

the photo, i believe, is taken right before the line, and the clock was far enough ahed of the WR that Jeter knew what it meant. (or guessed well....those 100ths go by right quick at the end)
gh

PreviousNext