What would your number one track and field fantasy be. It could be anything. Mine would be if they changed the Men's 100m dash to a 110m dash. You would never have anyone break 10 seconds. Just have them start where the hurdlers start.
sticking with the high hurdles theme, i think it would be great to have hurdles at random intervals. It isn't fair that the current set up favors a specific natural stride length.
This actually happened at one of my college meets and my roommate would have won the 60m race with the incorrect placements. When they re-ran, he didn't do as well. We were a DIII school agains some DI competition that day so he was a bit out matched as far as speed, but I still contend that he was truly the best hurdler there that day.
I have some other slightly track related fantasies, but I'll keep those to myself since I'm not sure if my wife would approve.
Oh, so many!! I can't limit it to just one! So here's a list, with #1 in the #1 (sic!!) position:
1. Do away with the 1600 and 3200 in HS races, and return to the full 1 and 2 mile distances!
2. Extend all....or at least MOST.....of the 3000 races to two miles, but time all runners enroute at 3000.
3. Not allow ANY times run on oversize tracks to be considered as records, best-evers, or to be included on ANY lists.....unless clearly designated as NOT being a legitimate time!! To this end, do NOT allow ANY times run on OT's as qualifiers for championships meets, or trials.
4. Clearly differentiate between the indoor and outdoor seasons on EVERY list. Do NOT include ANY indoor times on any outdoor list. SEPARATE the seasons!!
5. Bring back monthly lists in T&FN print edition. Bring back the print edition of the Track Newsletter, even if it costs more than $100 per year!
6. Offer more event choices in the DL meets. Keep the same ones for point-getting purposes, but ADD additional events to offer more chances to compete to more athletes.
7. Offer more 5000 and 10000 chances for HS athletes, boys and girls, to compete in. Ditto with the 3000 steeplechase, and the international weight throws!!
Gee, I guess there's only seven!!
These may not be classified as fantasies, but more as wishes and hopes!!
Fantasies?? Um, they're mostly unprintable in a family-oriented forum such as this!!
az2004 wrote:aronnk, 1500 or 3000 in place of 1600 anf 3200
make all events in usa, global in common
i prefer the combined be a 10 eventer, would not mind the 5 eventer too
Interestingly I prefer the 7 eventer to the 10. I don't know if that's because I'm more interesting in female athletics or the Dec is an event or two too far when you don't have a genuine medal interest. However I wouldn't take the Dec away from the men and I'd love to see us have two multi-events in the elite championships a 1 day one (Pent) and a two day one (Hep and Dec).
huntinWR, again I'd agree in wanting to see another longer relay. A 4x800m or4x1000m would be a monster and not be the usual dull automatic North American medal.
I would like to see weekly national class indoor meets during the season with monthly national class heptathlon competitions.I would like to see Hardee and Eaton mix it up at least once a month in the winter and summer.
I would like to see a strong dis incentive for the best runners to duck each other. Make the big bucks dependent on people competing against and beating the the very best in their events often enough for people to care about these rivalries. (You did say fantasy didn't you?)
Am sure there are all manner of technical reasons against it, but I'd love to see mixed gender 4x400m relays: 2 women, 2 men per team, no rules about who runs which leg.
On the mixed gender thing, I really liked what they did in the Archery at London2012: rather than having all the women's heats then all the men's heats (or semis or finals), they did them interchangeably. So the first round was three women's matches, then three men's then three women's etc. Would be great to see that in, say, the sprints: two men's heats, two women's heats etc.
I'd also like to see someone the IAAF magically turn into something like the ATP/WTA and contract the athletes to turn up to, like 80% of DL/GP meetings, rather than the occasional Usain Bolt v whichever b-list sprinters the organisers could afford with what they had left over after giving him a trillion dollars to turn up.
(I realise that of all of these the IAAF one is the most laughably farfetched)
1. Remove all world words and start all over again. Never it is going to happen.
2. World indoor with strange distances and events: 300m, 500/600m, 1000m, 2000m, and 4000m. High jump and long jump combine, Shot and weight combine.
3. Ten man Deca team competition: I would like to see top eight teams enter in 10 person Deca. Each country has one athlete in each event. All events are done in one set. 100m first after a few minutes 8 long jumpers go at it and so on. Done by the end of the day with 8 person 1500m.