Pistorius implicated in a murder

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby eldanielfire » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:04 pm

18.99s wrote:He's certainly going to prison. The only question is whether it's for manslaughter, murder, or premeditated murder, and how long the sentence will be. His own story is a confession of manslaughter.

Even if all the bullets missed her, he'd still go to prison for reckless discharge of a firearm.

I suspect his lawyers job is to muddy the details enough that the worst of those are place into doubt. Their job is easy, they don't have to prove anything, only poke holes in the prosecutions story and reduce Pistorius' verdict from the most serious ones so the sentence is lowered as much as possible. It's the Prosecution who has to prove something here.
eldanielfire

Postby eldanielfire » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:09 pm

batonless relay wrote:
18.99s wrote:He's certainly going to prison. The only question is whether it's for manslaughter, murder, or premeditated murder, and how long the sentence will be. His own story is a confession of manslaughter.

Even if all the bullets missed her, he'd still go to prison for reckless discharge of a firearm.

I completely agree that at a minimum it's manslaughter and that he deserves to go to prison. I just don't think someone is automatically evil because they kill.

You point a loaded gun at an innocent and pull the trigger over and over you are a fucking evil man. He isn't a fucking child who might not fully understand the implications.

The only exceptions I can think of is a "Shoot to wound" situation when you are personally in danger yourself or a "shoot or be killed" situation. Or in a war.
eldanielfire

Postby user4 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:11 pm

batonless relay wrote:
user4 wrote:avoiding all together the fact that a mans story about aman-shooting-his-girlfriend-to-death-in-his-own-home is bound to have holes in it...

ask yourself this question: what "real man" after shooting his girlfriend to death in his own home (under any circumstances) would still want to live ?

The guy is just another vile lowlife self absorbed male child .

You lose all credibility by trying to define what a "real man" is in addition to coming off more self-absorbed than the people you're writing about. Your question is ridiculous even if it's only rhetorical. Suicide, to most people, is less rational than lying/hiding/running, which is probably why fewer men kill themselves after killing a woman.

"real man" beats ex-lover to a pulp
http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Kwa ... 230112.php

im not in search of credibility. Im just posting on a forum :). Please dont let my venting get you searching for credibility.
user4

Postby DrJay » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:23 pm

Farting on a crowded subway car and giggling about it makes you human. Murdering someone makes you a murderer. Raping a woman makes you a rapist. Raping a child makes you rapist and a pedophile. Robbing a 7-Eleven makes you a robber. Torching a warehouse makes you an arsonist. We don't need more apologists for all those sorts, the world has enough apologists as it is. What we need is people to take responsibility for their actions.
DrJay

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:22 pm

DrJay wrote:Farting on a crowded subway car and giggling about it makes you human. Murdering someone makes you a murderer. Raping a woman makes you a rapist. Raping a child makes you rapist and a pedophile. Robbing a 7-Eleven makes you a robber. Torching a warehouse makes you an arsonist. We don't need more apologists for all those sorts, the world has enough apologists as it is. What we need is people to take responsibility for their actions.

Very true.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby batonless relay » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:58 pm

I'm not apologizing for Oscar Pistorius and I never said that he didn't do it or that he doesn't need to pay for his crime; i'm just not naive/sanctimonious enough to equate every murder with evil (or even every rape with evil, for that matter). I also don't equate cheating in a foot/bike race or infidelity with murder, as some in this thread obviously have.

Pistorius obviously feels extreme guilt and remorse, and I don't believe he would if he were truly evil; even if we eventually learn that he killed out of the very human emotions of anger, jealousy or envy. If it had been reported that he set her on fire and threw her over his balcony while he laughed hysterically; then went outside, doused the flames and brought her back inside to throw her over the balcony again and then pumped 3 bullets in her body just because he was curious about how it would sound when her body hit the pavement below or the bullets penetrating her body...then I would say he was evil. But we have posters in this thread actually calling unfaithful husbands evil? Is Sebastian Coe evil?

it's also naive to believe that people will take responsibility for their actions that have negative consequences. People will lie until they're caught.
batonless relay

Postby kuha » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:56 pm

You're more or less out of your mind. Parsing the exact meaning of "evil" here is pretty ridiculous. He's accused of murder. If he's guilty, he's a murderer. And that's very, very bad. End of story.
Last edited by kuha on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kuha

Postby batonless relay » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:04 pm

kuha wrote:You're more or less out of your mind. Delving into the specifics of "evil" is pretty ridiculous here. He's accused of murder. If he's guilty, he's a murderer. And that's very, very bad. End of story.

How old are you? Do you really think that you can stifle debate by name-calling, declaring your view superior and then stating "end of story"? I will post until i don't want to anymore. You obviously have nothing to add to the thread, maybe you should just stop.
batonless relay

Postby Daisy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:51 pm

user4 wrote:im not in search of credibility.

Is this why you didn't pick user1? Just think, you could have been top dog! 8-)
Daisy

Postby hammer forever » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:08 pm

Oscar owned a cricket bat.....just like any sports enthusiast in S.A......but does anyone know if he actually played the game?

the statement said he tried to kick down the door with his prosthetic legs- maybe the maker could use this in their future advertisements- helps a person resume a normal life- walking, running, and kicking down doors.

A few years ago, wasn't there a thread offering suggestions for picking the fastest "jailbird" 4x400 relay team?
hammer forever

Postby GDAWG » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:23 pm

Barring something that would overshadow this, his trial will be major headlines in South Africa.
GDAWG

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:50 pm

kuha wrote:You're more or less out of your mind. Parsing the exact meaning of "evil" here is pretty ridiculous. He's accused of murder. If he's guilty, he's a murderer. And that's very, very bad. End of story.

Couldn't have said it better.....
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:53 pm

batonless relay wrote:
kuha wrote:You're more or less out of your mind. Delving into the specifics of "evil" is pretty ridiculous here. He's accused of murder. If he's guilty, he's a murderer. And that's very, very bad. End of story.

How old are you?

Kuha is no kid (and no fool).
26mi235

Previous