What was the greatest performance in TnF Olympic history

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

What was the greatest performance in TnF Olympic history

Postby Tuariki » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:18 am

In the "Historical" message board "Past AOY" thread I stated my opinion that Bob Beamon's 1968 jump of 8.90m was the single greatest individual performance in Olympic history.

Both noone and GH appear to disagree:
noone wrote:This observation is unlikely to help you gain admission to the Track and Field experts hall of fame.

gh wrote:Beamon is monstrously altitude-aided (for certain), and massively wind-aided (by all competent observers who were there)

So I thought that while every one is turning their minds to telling mump boy their most memorable T&FN Olympic moments perhaps you might want to tell us what you consider is the single greatest individual performance in T&FN Olympic history and why.

So to start.

The case against Beamon appears to be that his performance was:

1. at altitude; and

2. was wind aided, possibly substantially more than the official reading of 2.0mps.

The case in support of Beamon's is as follows:

1. Beamon increased the world record by 6.6 per cent from 8.35 to 8.90m. Is this the greatest increase of a world record?

2. Beamon increased the Olympic record by 9.6 per cent from 8.12 to 8.90m. Is this the greatest increase of an Olympic record?

3. Beamon’s winning margin of 0.71m was 8.7 per cent greater than Klaus Beer’s jump of 8.19m. Is this the greatest winning margin of all time?

4. Beamon’s Olympic record still stands after 44 years

5. Sports illustrated rated Beamon’s jump as one of the 5 greatest moments of sport in the 20th century

6. This very magazine, TnF News, named Beamon as 1968 Athlete Of The Year, presumably for his 8.90m jump at Mexico City, altitude or no altitude, wind or no wind.

7. Inducted into the US Olympic Hall of Fame in 1983 in the first batch of inductees

8. I said so :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wind comments
The official reading was 2.0. I accept it is possible the wind was stronger and perhaps significantly so. However, the reality is that no one has verifiable evidence of this. A well-founded suspicion perhaps, but a well-founded suspicion is not evidence. And unless those competent observers were actually standing alongside the runway during Beamon's jump, with an anemometer in hand, then those long distant observations are irrelevant and meaningless.

Sports Illustrated’s greatest moments in 20th century sport
1. The 1980 Olympic hockey team stuns the Soviet Union winning gold, Feb. 23, 1980
2. Bobby Thomson's "The Shot Heard 'Round the World" to win NL pennant, Oct. 3, 1951
3. Mark McGwire's home run No. 62 to break Roger Maris' single-season record, Sept. 8, 1998
4. Muhammad Ali TKO's Sonny Liston in round 7 to win the heavyweight title, Feb. 25, 1964
5. Bob Beamon shatters the long jump world record at the Mexico City, Oct. 18, 1968
Tuariki

Re: What was the greatest performance in TnF Olympic history

Postby aaronk » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:46 am

Greatest performance??
Putting aside the "controversial" ones (Beamon's and Flojo's), I'll go with one rarely mentioned.

Herb Elliott winning the 1960 Olympic Games in Rome with a WR, and CRUSHING his opposition in doing so.

Elliott had already slashed the WR in the 1500 prior to Rome, taking it from 3:38.1 to 3:36.0

As we well know about Olympic middle distance/long distance finals, WR's are quite rare!!
So for Elliott to take down his own WR (by 0.4, to 3:35.6!!), and to beat Michael Jazy by 2.8 seconds.....well, for me, that's the greatest performance in OG history in T&F.

There's a video of part of that race on YouTube.
It's 2:37 long, and has part of the race, plus Elliott talking to the camera about it.
But I can't get the link right.
Just google "Herb Elliott Olympics race" and you'll come to it.
aaronk

Postby Master Po » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:16 pm

Beamon's and Elliott's performances are certainly worthy candidates, imo. In addition, I would choose Bikila's two marathon victories, each significant beyond the "mere" fact of being OG gold medal performances.
Master Po

Postby DoubleRBar » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:26 pm

I'm not sure if it is the greatest performance in track and field Olympic history, but I believe that David Rudisha's world record of 1:40.91 would have to rank pretty high on most people's list. I have been to a few Olympic Games and have seen several world records, but David's run in London was something special.
DoubleRBar

Postby Tuariki » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:49 pm

Master Po wrote:Beamon's and Elliott's performances are certainly worthy candidates, imo. In addition, I would choose Bikila's two marathon victories, each significant beyond the "mere" fact of being OG gold medal performances.

Barry Magee of New Zealand took the marathon bronze in Rome in 1960. I recall reading when I was a kid somewhere that Magee and Arthur Lydiard, just before the race started, had looked around assessing the competitors while they were warming up and had immediately discounted some skinny African guy in bare feet. Of course that skinny African guy went on to win and become the greatest marathon runner in history (my opinion only).
Tuariki

Postby mump boy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:00 pm

Oi don't try an steel my thunder :P

Surely there's a lot of overlap. why not vote and we'll have a conclusive result from what might zs well be a "track and field experts hall of fame'

:D
mump boy

Postby Mighty Favog » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:19 pm

There was a time when I would have nominated MJ's 19.32. So I suppose any of Bolt's WRs would have to be considered superior to that. Another sprint performance to put in that category is Hayes' 4x100 anchor leg in Tokyo.

My gut instinct, without having looked anything up, is either Rudisha this year or Nurmi's 1500/5000 double in a very short space of time in 1924.
Mighty Favog

Postby Tuariki » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:21 pm

Mighty Favog wrote:There was a time when I would have nominated MJ's 19.32. So I suppose any of Bolt's WRs would have to be considered superior to that. Another sprint performance to put in that category is Hayes' 4x100 anchor leg in Tokyo.

How one decides on their own ground rules for their choice I think you would be doing yourself a disservice by tying yourself to such a tight criterion. Such a criterion would more less rule out any performance that wasn't the current Olympic or World Record.

Like you, I also think Bob Hayes anchor leg remains the most awesome finishing leg of any relay in the history of the Games. I think you have to just a performance against its time and not against the future as we now know it.

IMO MJ's 19.32 was a greater performance when measured against the status quo of the time.
Tuariki

Postby steve » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:49 pm

Kevin Young 46.78. Strange because his career doesn't hold a candle to the brilliance of Edwin Moses's. But this performance was unexpected and freakishly excellent.
steve

Postby Jackaloupe » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:03 pm

As y'all seem to be tossing out many a (just) 'memorable', some of them a bit obscure, I'll simply remind you that Alberto "El Caballo" Juantorena's 400/800 double in Montreal ('76) was plenty memorable. Can't recall the margin of victory, but it sure seemed dominant from the stands.

One unique "Performance" in Montreal was the Streaker at the Closing Ceremony who loped his way thru the "(+ or -) 100 Young Girrlls", as the local announcer had it, forming the Olympic Rings. Discrete Security waited until that number was completed to nab him, with a blanket.
Jackaloupe

Postby Master Po » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:39 pm

Jackaloupe wrote:As y'all seem to be tossing out many a (just) 'memorable', some of them a bit obscure, I'll simply remind you that Alberto "El Caballo" Juantorena's 400/800 double in Montreal ('76) was plenty memorable. Can't recall the margin of victory, but it sure seemed dominant from the stands.

While I previously suggested Bikila's performances (either, or both) as the greatest -- Juantorena's double also came to mind, so glad to see that one in this list. And of course, Rudisha (already mentioned, too).

So far, all the performances mentioned are on the men's side -- what would be the greatest on the women's side?
Master Po

Postby gh » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:48 pm

Tuariki wrote:....
The official reading was 2.0. I accept it is possible the wind was stronger and perhaps significantly so. However, the reality is that no one has verifiable evidence of this. A well-founded suspicion perhaps, but a well-founded suspicion is not evidence. And unless those competent observers were actually standing alongside the runway during Beamon's jump, with an anemometer in hand, then those long distant observations are irrelevant and meaningless....

There's no "verifiable evidence" for the Flojo 10.49 either, and we all know it's a total crock of shit.

Sorry to tell you this on Xmas Eve, but there is no Santa Claus.
gh

Postby Per Andersen » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:32 pm

gh wrote:
Tuariki wrote:....
The official reading was 2.0. I accept it is possible the wind was stronger and perhaps significantly so. However, the reality is that no one has verifiable evidence of this. A well-founded suspicion perhaps, but a well-founded suspicion is not evidence. And unless those competent observers were actually standing alongside the runway during Beamon's jump, with an anemometer in hand, then those long distant observations are irrelevant and meaningless....

There's no "verifiable evidence" for the Flojo 10.49 either, and we all know it's a total crock of shit.

There is a difference. We know the facts around the 10.49 and logic dictates that the 10.49 was hugely wind aided.
But logic does not dictate that Beamon's jump had more than 2.0 wind. It's quite possible but not certain.
One question: What was your impression of the Beamon jump in Mexico, altitude and all? I mean when you saw it on TV?

For me it was the most stunning and shocking thing I have ever witnessed in sports. That jump and maybe Bolt's 100 WR in Bejing.
Per Andersen

Postby rhymans » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:34 pm

GH said -

I knew this ever since it was explained so cogently by Marx [Groucho not Karl]
rhymans

Postby rhymans » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:58 pm

One angle of the Beamon jump shows a large green flag some 5 metres past the pit by track side - it's at the 55 second mark on this video. The flag is showing the effect of a blustering wind - almost certainly more than 2.0 (and possibly around 3 m/s)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daFAvy2OOvw
rhymans

Postby LopenUupunut » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:40 am

Mighty Favog wrote:Nurmi's 1500/5000 double in a very short space of time in 1924.
Not to mention his crushing XC victory. Ritola ran a WR in the 10000, with Nurmi absent. Here's what happened when they actually met over a similar distance a few days later...

1. Paavo Nurmi FIN 32:54.8
2. Ville Ritola FIN 34:19.4

By the way, is any of our experts here sure why the distance of that race is so often given as "around 10 km" when it was officially measured as 10 650 metres? I'm half suspecting it's because 32:54.8 for that distance on that day just sounds too fast :)
LopenUupunut

Postby tandfman » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:03 am

rhymans wrote:GH said -

I knew this ever since it was explained so cogently by Marx [Groucho not Karl]

Sorry to tell you this on Xmas Eve, but it was Chico, not Groucho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS2khYJZKwA
tandfman

Postby gh » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:04 pm

link to an earlier thread on Mexico wind readings, which has two earlier threads linked inside that.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46617&hilit=gauge
gh

Postby Master Po » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:51 pm

Per Andersen wrote:For me it was the most stunning and shocking thing I have ever witnessed in sports. That jump and maybe Bolt's 100 WR in Bejing.

Using Per's criteria -- what OG performances are in my experience absolutely astounding -- these are the four that always come to mind:
Bikila 1964 (not "just" WR, but margin of victory and apparent ease in doing so)
Beamon 1968 (debates about wind & altitude noted -- the effect on this viewer remains -- I think it is dramatized by the effect on Beamon himself)
Bolt 2008
Rudisha 2012

For me, this sets aside for the moment historic performances I have only read about (that are of course also worthy), and many favorites that are meaningful to me, but that I would not nominate for "greatest in OG history."

And on the women's side, the first that comes to mind is JJK's hept WR.
Master Po

Postby TN1965 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:14 pm

Master Po wrote:So far, all the performances mentioned are on the men's side -- what would be the greatest on the women's side?

How about 2:15:25?
TN1965

Postby James Fields » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:00 pm

Track & Field has something for everyone. I like Emil Zatopek's triple win at Helsinki in 1952:
5000m, 10000m, and Marathon -- with Olympic Records in all three.
James Fields

Postby Master Po » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:24 pm

TN1965 wrote:
Master Po wrote:So far, all the performances mentioned are on the men's side -- what would be the greatest on the women's side?

How about 2:15:25?

Yes, that is one of the greatest performances ever, imo, but it's not an OG performance, which I understood to be the theme of this thread. :)
Master Po

Postby TN1965 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:54 pm

My bad. :oops:
Then I will nominate 4x100 in London. :)
TN1965

Postby Jackaloupe » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:31 pm

Beamon's shocking leap was the highest (I'd) ever seen. Wind most likely aids a LJ-er more in the runup than actual airtime, which'd make it even tougher for any jumper to add extra height to a jump. As an AeroEngineer with a smattering of Physics, I'd say offhand that a mathematical calculation would yield the conclusion of only a few inches of in-air assistance from an incremental 1.0 mps favoring wind; of course, that added height means he'd be in the air a smidgeon longer.

The separate advantage of Altitude on marginally less effect of gravity is yet another factor. Dunno if anyone has gone into the overall stats on the entire LJ field at the '68 Olympics LJ.

Conclusion, Beamon would've doubtless still obliterated the existing WR even w/o that added advantage.
Jackaloupe

Postby bijanc » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:31 am

Beamon's leap IMO. It broke the existing mark by so much, and was done by someone so unheralded. That would be my "one day performance".
Bolt's 2012 100m, and Michael Johnson's Atlanta 200m come closest, but they were favorites.
bijanc

Postby catson52 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:46 pm

bijanc wrote:Beamon's leap IMO. It broke the existing mark by so much, and was done by someone so unheralded. That would be my "one day performance".
Bolt's 2012 100m, and Michael Johnson's Atlanta 200m come closest, but they were favorites.

For me too one of the greatest moments in Olys. Note that anyone who followed the LJ closely from late 1967 onwards, was not surprised by a big (not that big) performance from Beamon. Didn't Ralph Boston say something about expecting something big every time Beamon came down the runway in 1968?
catson52

Postby Olli » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:29 am

How about Viren's 10000m in Munich 1972? He fell, got up, caught the others, and finally made a WR despite the very uneven pacing.
Olli

Postby Brian » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:19 am

Hands down, Emil Zatopek's marathon victory in 1952.

Zato beat Jim Peters, the world-record holder, after winning the 10,000 and 5,000 meters beforehand. [Actually, destroyed Peters; he dropped out.]

Zato's first-ever marathon, too.

Viren tried it in 1976 and could only manage 5th.

Even if you're not a roadie, you can appreciate a guy who beats the hell out of everybody on the track--twice--and then takes it to the road guys.

[Some fun trivia, probably well-known: In the same Games, Zatopek's wife, Dana, won the gold medal in the javelin. Both Emil and Dana were born on the same day, same year, mere hours apart.]
Brian

Postby pinoyathletics.com » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:33 am

Flo Jo Destroying the world record in the 200m dash in 1988.
pinoyathletics.com

Postby Brian » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:29 pm

Master Po wrote: So far, all the performances mentioned are on the men's side -- what would be the greatest on the women's side?

Not to keep playing the marathon tune here, but I'd say Joan Benoit's 1984 win has to be up there.

An iconic front-running victory by the world-record holder (pressure), weeks after knee surgery, over a who's-who field of competitors in the event's inaugural Olympic race. And a GIANT slap in the face of the fuddy-duddies who kept the event out of The Games for a decade+ because women were "so fragile."

Also, the lasting effect of Benoit's performance on people--especially women and young girls--was palpable. To this day, Benoit/Samuelson remains a huge draw at racing events.

[I'm also trying to focus on a non-drugs person/event here, and I'd bet big money Benoit has never taken anything more potent than Ibuprophen.]
Brian

Postby fasttrack85 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:34 am

Flo Jo in Seoul. Maybe Bolt in Bejing as well.
fasttrack85

Postby johnclark » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:25 pm

Surprised no one has mentioned Kip Keino in 1968 1500 meters.

Paula Ivan in 1988 1500 meters too.
johnclark

Postby norunner » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:26 pm

One of the best female performances ever was the last leg of the 4x1 in Munich 72. Heide Rosendahl from West-Germany, a pentathlete and long jumper, held off the fastest woman in the world, double olympic champion Renate Stecher from East-Germany. Everyone in the stadium thought Stecher would easily win but somehow Rosendahl ran much faster than should have been possible for her. It would be like Jessica Ennis holding of Carmelita Jeter.
Come to think of it, Ulrike Meyfarth was also great in 72, a 16 year old school girl improving her PB three times and finally jumping WR to win in front of her home crowd.
norunner

Postby no one » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:55 pm

I'll second Keino. But there are far too many 'great' performances to pick just one. I think one might be able to narrow it down to 30 or so
no one

Postby Tuariki » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:17 am

no one wrote:I'll second Keino. But there are far too many 'great' performances to pick just one. I think one might be able to narrow it down to 30 or so

I think "no one" is right. There is no single greatest performance, but many unbelievably great performances
Last edited by Tuariki on Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tuariki

Postby PZhelev » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:55 am

When talking about Olympics, I believe the number of gold medals also matter. Why not mention Carl Lewis - 4 gold medals in a single Olympics?
PZhelev

Postby eldanielfire » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:31 pm

PZhelev wrote:When talking about Olympics, I believe the number of gold medals also matter. Why not mention Carl Lewis - 4 gold medals in a single Olympics?

Wouldn't Jessie Owens be the greater 4 Gold medals achieved performance?
eldanielfire

Postby gh » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:55 pm

johnclark wrote:Surprised no one has mentioned Kip Keino in 1968 1500 meters.....

Maybe that's because not only did Keino have a built-in altitude advantage, he also had the benefit of team-based pacing, rarely ever (maybe never) seen before in Olympic racing.

If you want to go for a Keino performance, try his '72 steeple win with with almost no experience in the event.
gh

Postby paw » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:54 am

the best performances at the Olympics are for me

Bobby Morrow's at the 1956 Melbourne Olympics:

1) won the 100m with a clear margin to such world class sprinters as Thane Baker (had equalled the world record in the 100m earlier in 1956) - Ira Murchison (had set a new world record in the 100m earlier in 1956) - Hogan (had equalled the 100y world record in 1954) - Mike Agostini (had equalled the world record in 100y earlier in 1956)

Bobby Morrow won with about 1.5 meter to spare!

2) won the 200m turn with a clear margin to world class sprinters as Andy Stanfield (former olympic champion) and Thane Baker (had equalled the world record in the 200m earlier in 1956)

Bobby Morrow won with about 1 meter - and he ran with a sore leg (T&FN Dec56):in the finals of the 100m he had felt a slight pull in his groin at about 60 meter mark and many became concerned about his chances in the 200m.

3) and finally he was anchor man on the relay team for US, who won gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_25mbUAidPs
paw

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:22 am

gh wrote:
johnclark wrote:Surprised no one has mentioned Kip Keino in 1968 1500 meters.....

Maybe that's because not only did Keino have a built-in altitude advantage, he also had the benefit of team-based pacing, rarely ever (maybe never) seen before in Olympic racing.

If you want to go for a Keino performance, try his '72 steeple win with with almost no experience in the event.

Yes, I agree with all of that. Keino had a huge advantage over Ryun with the altitude and Jipcho getting it going early. I forgot about that Steeple win. It came completely out of the blue.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Next